5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

settembrini

The guy's defensive awareness and positioning is atrocious. His defensive game is solely based on mindlessly running around as fast as he can. He isn't a defensive midfielder nor has he ever been one.

He was the heir to Fernandinho in the same way Gaitan and Sneijder are our new number 10s.
You are talking nonsense. Watch the first half of this video:

His normal position for Shaktar was as one of a defensive pair. His role was to sit deep in midfield with a focus on ball winning and quickly distribution to their forward players.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/114397/Show/Fred

Then look at his statistical contributions in games. He is objectively good at winning the ball via tackles and interceptions. His strongest metric is literally 'defensive contributions'.

Thirdly we know Guardiola tried to buy him for City. Sam Lee is tier 1 reliability for City transfers and he reported their interest several times.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/man...moves-fred-laporte/1rt32tv12rlg31he6naorql00g

"The 24-year-old would be cup-tied for the Champions League, although that is not a problem for City, who see him as the long-term replacement for Fernandinho and somebody who could also play left-back if required."

This was confirmed months later by the Shaktar president who has gone on record that City bid 50m Euro in January but they didn't want to sell mid-season.

Fred is a defensive player and City wanted him for that role. The fact that Mourinho doesn't understand how to use him and that United have allowed a manager to spent £50m on a player he doesn't know how to use should come as no surprise to anyone. It's a textbook example of United's ineptitude in the transfer market post Ferguson.

el3mel

You consistently chat a lot of shite on here. “Lingard of a footballer” what does that even mean? The guy is quality. When he starts performing well later or under another manager please keep the same energy.
You can always use the ignore function newbie. At least I provide points in my discussions, anud those replied provided their points too, unlike this post who you did nothing in i except throwing an insult.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
This guy is no good for us. When he plays I just don’t feel confident in him keeping it together in the middle. The ball always gets caught under his feet far too often and he loses the ball a fair amount of times. We were a shambles last night. I was so upset with how we play and what we have become. I’ll always watch and support my team but it’s getting harder to do that after each passing game. The 4-1 win over Fulham didn’t even get me excited. Fulham were just really poor. The season is over in my eyes

Trizy

Funnily enough out of all our players he's one I'm least worried about for the future. He will turn out to be a solid signing given the right manager.

Sylar

I do think Fred and Herrera as a holding and switching two would give our defence more protection than immobile players like Fellaini and this season Matic.

I wouldnt be surprised if Ed Woodward signed him cos he was linked to City.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is actually good. Takes risks and always look forward. Probably too risky for Jose style of play though. Another player who will certainly improve under an attacking manager

AaronRedDevil

The only reason he's playing crap is the people he's playing with. Nothing changed when he was bought.,

edgar allan

Fred is just not settled in at united yet. I see no good reason to crucify him. It also took Mhikitaryan about this long to start performing. People forget this is a league and a football nation in which the invincible Edu Gaspar took over 8 months to show his true colors back in the day
Not sure that Mhiki is a good example of a player coming good in time??

Suv666

The whole team was a shambles but Fred and Lukaku outshite eveyone

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Not sure that Mhiki is a good example of a player coming good in time??
He is for the one reason that The season we won the europa leahue he came very good. Then sadly we discovered just like arsenal are now that he is a confidence player and has issues with self belief. I don't believe Fred has that issue.

edgar allan

He is for the one reason that The season we won the europa leahue he came very good. Then sadly we discovered just like arsenal are now that he is a confidence player and has issues with self belief. I don't believe Fred has that issue.
He did have a great run of form for about 8 weeks and then we never seen it again.

Some good form in a sub-par European competition is not coming good. He had barely a handful of good games, and I can’t remember significant contributions from him against decent opposition. He had one excellent season at Dortmund, given he’s around 30, that’s clearly been an anomaly.

the_irish123

He is used to playing in a modern scheme, with 2 midfielders, with outlets to pass to.

Now he has to play beside Pogba and Fellaini, and sometimes Pereira coming in. Yesterday the midfielders were all clashing heads. Our offense is basically 1 on 1 improvisation.

MAME DIOUF 32

He's a risk-taking player. He'll attempt difficult forward passes and he'll get dragged out of position trying to win the ball. In a better team you can get away with that but we're absolute shit in both attack and defence so he's another problem. I'm also not convinced he's good enough at playing the risky passes or winning the ball to be worthwhile anyway.

Ashley R1+O

People need to stop just yelling "BUT 50M!??" every time they mention this guy.

He very clearly is not worth that much money and was bought off plan for a stupid amount of money for whatever reason. The signing itself for the price doesn't make sense and it shouldn't be used as a yard stick to hold him to some sort of mythical standard. If he was bought for 15m nobody would care about how raw he looks.

For what it is worth I'd have him as the next in line to move into that four man box press that we played against Arsenal and Fulham. Herrera/Lingard, Mata/Rashford he could easily supplement in for one of those players if they went down. Much like Peirera.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People need to stop just yelling "BUT 50M!??" every time they mention this guy.

He very clearly is not worth that much money and was bought off plan for a stupid amount of money for whatever reason. The signing itself for the price doesn't make sense and it shouldn't be used as a yard stick to hold him to some sort of mythical standard. If he was bought for 15m nobody would care about how raw he looks.

For what it is worth I'd have him as the next in line to move into that four man box press that we played against Arsenal and Fulham. Herrera/Lingard, Mata/Rashford he could easily supplement in for one of those players if they went down. Much like Peirera.
This and I would also add the fact that Guardiola was interested in him doesn't mean anything. Guardiola wanted badly Mangala once too, he can get it wrong

Eric's Seagull

This and I would also add the fact that Guardiola was interested in him doesn't mean anything. Guardiola wanted badly Mangala once too, he can get it wrong
A playyer is worth what anybody is willing to pay whether that be be exorbitant fee or bargain basement money.

If it does work it is is seen as a masterstroke if it doesn't said club gets slated for blowing money. It is a calculated risk sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, hopefully it does. If it doesn't initially give said play fair amount of time to adjust if that doesn't work thank them for their service and show them the door.

ROFLUTION

I believe in him. Mou has done him no good.

Sometimes a players performance is over-analysed, when it's really just a matter of the player not getting enough games consistently to find his pace and place.

This is also a good reason to sack Mourinho now. To get some of these margin-players ready for next season and fit into a new overall style that we run with for the next 10 years. But there's no real masterplan, is there Woody?

Eric's Seagull

I believe in him. Mou has done him no good.

Sometimes a players performance is over-analysed, when it's really just a matter of the player not getting enough games consistently to find his pace and place.

This is also a good reason to sack Mourinho now. To get some of these margin-players ready for next season and fit into a new overall style that we run with for the next 10 years. But there's no real masterplan, is there Woody?
Well said. Agree with this and second part emphasises even more that we need to get a Director of Football in a soon as possible.

Raw

Such an unbelievably pointless signing :lol:

I hope the next manager can get the best out of him because Mourinho clearly doesn't know how.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Arsenal paid 20m for Torreira and 20m for Gendouzi, City 20m for Bernado silva and we paid 52m for Fred.
Every single individual who sanctioned this purchase should leave United and is representative of what's wrong at united.

Our team is full of immobile players. We have to play kids like Lingard and Rashford to get mobility. They should be subs not starters.
City paid around £50M for Bernardo Silva.

Kag

You have to love the logic that Mourinho is not able to play his £50 million midfielder because his £70 million centre halves can’t accommodate such a purchase.

Laughable.

Sylar

Was he signed by Jose (eg did Jose ask for him)?
Or did Woodward go out and get him cos he was linked and wanted by City?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Why are some fans hating on Fred. He’s not ever had a chance to settle into the team.

He’s a good player, if we get an attacking manager with a plan then I feel Fred will become one of the first names on the team sheet.

Devil may care

Mourinho being a shithouse that loves shithouse midfielders doesn't alter the fact Fred is positionally poor and technically sloppy, he was never good enough IMO, not good enough offensively or defensively to be a key player in any kind of well structured midfield set-up.

el3mel

Mourinho being a shithouse that loves shithouse midfielders doesn't alter the fact Fred is positionally poor and technically sloppy, he was never good enough IMO, not good enough offensively or defensively to be a key player in any kind of well structured midfield set-up.
Exactly. This signing gives me the same vibe of Schneiderlin who people kept hoping he'll come good and LVG was doing him no favor, before finally accepting he's trash. I think Fred will end the same way. Doesn't change that Mourinho is full of shite and needs sacking ASAP, but paying 50m for this lad will go down as a terrible business.

Devil may care

Exactly. This signing gives me the same vibe of Schneiderlin who people kept hoping he'll come good and LVG was doing him no favor, before finally accepting he's trash. I think Fred will end the same way. Doesn't change that Mourinho is full of shite and needs sacking ASAP, but paying 50m for this lad will go down as a terrible business.
Agreed, I despise Mourinho and he is to blame for a number of issues with several players and the team as a whole, but Fred's game flaws were there before he came here, they are seperate from the Mourinho issues.

How are they separate from the manager issue if Fred's flaws were so apparent and yet Jose still made a 50 million move for him ?
Both are in tandem while also illustrating Jose's continual lack of knowledge in player acquisitions.
Its incompetence on his part.

Devil may care

How are they separate from the manager issue if Fred's flaws were so apparent and yet Jose still made a 50 million move for him ?
Both are in tandem while also illustrating Jose's continual lack of knowledge in player acquisitions.
Its incompetence on his part.
If you are saying Mourinho is at fault for buying him, then yes, I was talking about it from the perspective that the flaws in his game are not down to Mourinho's tactics and coaching, they were there prior.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Gotta love the weird mental gymnastics of people who are so desperate to convince themselves that replacing Mourinho will immediately fix everything they’re going down the path of assuming that he’s somehow an absolutely terrible manager, while also not making any mistakes in the transfer market. I suspect the “sack Mourinho and Bailly and Fred will become world class” crew are in for bitter disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.