g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Fred image 17

Fred Brazil flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I find it odd that people here suggested it's not even possible to compare him to Herrera, like they are in different galaxies. I honestly can't even count on one hand memorable Herrera performances.
Herrera was definitely better in the defensive third, but I'd say Fred's better in the midfield third. He's not great at it and is liable to the occasional big feck-up, but he's still a better playmaker than Herrera ever was (hence us mistakenly playing him in that role for years). Previously I would have said Herrera was better in the attacking third, but now that Fred has been moved into his natural role we're seeing him contribute more there than I ever expected, and if he keeps it up is actually better there as well. Overall they are fairly even.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Phenomenal. There was this run at the end where they couldn’t get the ball of him. He was a DM, CM, winger and goal scorer wrapped in one in that second half.

The_Midfielder

Herrera was definitely better in the defensive third, but I'd say Fred's better in the midfield third. He's not great at it and is liable to the occasional big feck-up, but he's still a better playmaker than Herrera ever was (hence us mistakenly playing him in that role for years). Previously I would have said Herrera was better in the attacking third, but now that Fred has been moved into his natural role we're seeing him contribute more there than I ever expected, and if he keeps it up is actually better there as well. Overall they are fairly even.
One has a better pass, one is a better carrier

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Herrera is utter shit.

One game vs Hazard and he turned to some United legend

criticalanalysis

Going off on a tangent but ETH would have loved Herrera as a player and he would have suited playing next to Casemiro and behind Bruno. He had all the qualities to be a good to very good, well rounded no 8 option.

He wouldn't have taken us to 'next level' but I'd argue it's probably a better or rather different balance compared to someone like Fred/Eriksen. People forget Herrera had a good touch, a shimmy to get out of tight spaces, worked hard and forget he had the typical Spanish technical qualities. He was also clutch in delivering final passes when it mattered and was quite productive a goal threat.

Fred has been good for us but no need to shit on Herrera or tbh a lot of our past players; I'd say a lot of them played under shit managers that didn't exactly give them the platform to succeed or shine. You can look at this current group of players to see the difference a top coach makes.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
ETH would have loved Herrera as a player and he would have suited playing next to Casemiro and behind Bruno. He had all the qualities to be a good to very good, well rounded no 8 option.
He’d have been good next to Casemiro but as a pair their passing would be far too limited. We need a playmaker next to the Brazilian. An upgraded Eriksen if you will.

criticalanalysis

He’d have been good next to Casemiro but as a pair their passing would be far too limited. We need a playmaker next to the Brazilian. An upgraded Eriksen if you will.
More midfield control though and arguably more chances to give the ball to the better attacking players the ball consistently, in a more structured way as opposed to the current box to box chaos albeit under ETH's 'rules and discipline'.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
More midfield control though and arguably more chances to give the ball to the better attacking players the ball consistently, in a more structured way as opposed to the current box to box chaos albeit under ETH's 'rules and discipline'.
Not sure he would offer more than what Fred does. Herrera is bit limited with ball, Fred is inconsistent but has more to his game.

Red & White

Superb second half. Nice to see he’s added some important goals for us this season, too.

criticalanalysis

Not sure he would offer more than what Fred does. Herrera is bit limited with ball, Fred is inconsistent but has more to his game.
Tbh it's hypothetical but Herrera is more of an orthodox, possession and positional midfielder, hence why I said he may bring a certain balance compared to Fred and Eriksen. Don't necessarily mean he'd bring 'more' to the game individually but would offer a different approach. Herrera's limitation with the ball is more to do with progression but in comparison I'd say he's a lot stronger with his base qualities in retention, recycling and consistency. All things we could do with in midfield!

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

Fred is a new Ji Sung Park.

1.He is an attacking midfielder (who was employed as holding MF by previous bosses). He doesn’t have a level of concentration to be sitting deep.
2. Hard working and tenacious.
3. Big match performer.
4. Has to play in a running team with a lot of vertical passing, passes into space, one twos. Much less effective in a slow positional build up. Fred thrives in a counter pressing set up.
5. Summary: very important and valuable squad player for tight games.

Last edited:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
If anyone wants to study schizophrenia in football performances, this guy is the best case study you can ever get. Jekyll and Hyde of football.

That being said, amazing second half. Bravo.

Alemar

Fred the Goalscorer. Joint fifth in the team on goals scored in all competitions at 5, alongside Sancho.

The Purley King

If Fred could play like he did in the second half consistently he’d be one of the best midfielders in the world.
Was superb last night, but you never know what you’ll get with him. Maybe eth can get some consistency from him.

GL21

Played the mosquito very well as directed by ETH in the 2nd half. Have to give credit there is no doubt it was a game of 2 halves for Fred. As long as he only has this role I'm happy he has a place in the squad for sure. I will remind myself he's not Pirlo, he's Fred

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s funny the way Fred so often gets singled out as a problem when the team as a whole is playing poorly. It’s a big factor in the whole “shite in the first half, world class in the second” meme. He’s so well established as a whipping boy the majority of the frustration which should be aimed at the team in general gets aimed at him, specifically. Throw in one or two obvious errors from Fred (over 45 minutes of football) and he’s immediately the worst player in the world.

In our last two matches ETH made half time tweaks that had almost nothing to do with Fred and the team performance improved dramatically, the feel good vibes began and suddenly everyone starts recognising all the good stuff that Fred is doing. I’m willing to bet that a statistical analysis of his performance in the first and second half of these matches would reveal nowhere near as much of a difference as you’d think.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wasn't that his first this season?
This year perhaps, but I mean in general he seems to score a lot of his goals in Europe.

I'd imagine over half his goals for United have come in the EL/CL.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Another excellent performance. He seems to up his standards in the 2nd halves.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Herrera is utter shit.

One game vs Hazard and he turned to some United legend
I wouldn’t go that far mate. I’ve seen worse, such as mctominay. The thing with players like Herrera they automatically get a lot of respect from fans because they put in 100% every game and play for the shirt, so despite how much quality they have, there liked by always trying there best.

MadMike

I would happily waste a sub to get him in at the beginning of the second half of games, just to avoid his erratic first halves. When he gets going, he’s a monster.

Boundless energy in the 2nd. He was everywhere.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It’s funny the way Fred so often gets singled out as a problem when the team as a whole is playing poorly. It’s a big factor in the whole “shite in the first half, world class in the second” meme. He’s so well established as a whipping boy the majority of the frustration which should be aimed at the team in general gets aimed at him, specifically. Throw in one or two obvious errors from Fred (over 45 minutes of football) and he’s immediately the worst player in the world.

In our last two matches ETH made half time tweaks that had almost nothing to do with Fred and the team performance improved dramatically, the feel good vibes began and suddenly everyone starts recognising all the good stuff that Fred is doing. I’m willing to bet that a statistical analysis of his performance in the first and second half of these matches would reveal nowhere near as much of a difference as you’d think.
Yeah I'd say the most notable difference you get in Fred performances is when he's asked to be a deep midfielder, asked to pick the ball up in his own half not knowing who is around him and progress it. He is excellent when asked to be an attacking box to box, his link up and off the ball movement is very good, his energy and tackling is ridiculous and it's why I kept calling for us to use him more while Eriksen was still fit. Rotate them as I don't think we are necessarily worse off with Fred. Also keep saying it, but Sabitzer isn't better either. Better at being the deepest player though that's not his position, but not on freds level as an attacking box to box.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Also according to Scholes' instagram, Fred and Antony are his 2 favourite players... Make of that what you will

UpWithRivers

Fred gets undeserved grief. Why is it only him that everyone says he was bad in the first half and poor in the second. That was literally our whole team bar the CB's. Why is his weaknesses always over highlighted. Sure he gives the ball away but Weghorst is a God even though he cant shoot, head or run faster than a snail. Antony cant use his right foot for sht. Bruno gives the ball away. Rashford was totally out of the game. You can find faults in every player. Sure there are the really elite Casemiros of this world who make less mistakes but he still gives the ball away. Everyone thinks Sabitzer is miles ahead of Fred but you look at the passing complete stats and they are the same. Is Fred elite? Nope. But there are only very few elite midfielders otherwise they wont be elite. Fred is still comfortably in the bracket below elite and some of his skillsets is at a level with anyone. There is a reason why he plays for Brazil and is highly rated outside of our fanbase

Golden Nugget

Also according to Scholes' instagram, Fred and Antony are his 2 favourite players... Make of that what you will
Pretty sure it’s sarcasm/tongue in cheek after his attack on Antony after his fidget spinner trick - and he’s probably been critical of Fred too.

stevoc

This year perhaps, but I mean in general he seems to score a lot of his goals in Europe.

I'd imagine over half his goals for United have come in the EL/CL.
Ah fair enough mate. I'm not sure but he has scored a few in Europe.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Quickly becoming my favorite player. Because his flaws make him more human.
Lisandro for instance- he is like a machine. never puts a foot wrong. Yeah i like him like I like my car. Fred is like a pet who pisses on the floor one minute and licks your face seconds later.

next_number_seven

Quickly becoming my favorite player. Because his flaws make him more human.
Lisandro for instance- he is like a machine. never puts a foot wrong. Yeah i like him like I like my car. Fred is like a pet who pisses on the floor one minute and licks your face seconds later.
Funny

You can't fault his effort and workrate. Wout also. Fred has one of the best engines I've seen but yeah he can be woeful one minute and awesome the next

MadMike

I cannot fully agree. Yes he's become a bit of a whipping boy, but there's some valid basis to the stereotype. It's not just a perpetuated narrative.

For me, it's a statement of fact that cagey games don't suit Fred's skillset. His first touch, control and pass accuracy let him down when there's little space. He's no Eriksen, there's no shame in that. Because, when the game begins to open up and get stretched in the second half of games, he simply shines. Suddenly he is everywhere, supporting attacks and covering brilliantly in defence and exploiting all the open spaces. First half yesterday was very slow and cagey, he couldn't offer more than he did, he's an average midfielder in those conditions. Second half, spaces opened and he was filling them all brilliantly, becoming motm. That's just who Fred is.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I cannot fully agree. Yes he's become a bit of a whipping boy, but there's some valid basis to the stereotype. It's not just a perpetuated narrative.

For me, it's a statement of fact that cagey games don't suit Fred's skillset. His first touch, control and pass accuracy let him down when there's little space. He's no Eriksen, there's no shame in that. Because, when the game begins to open up and get stretched in the second half of games, he simply shines. Suddenly he is everywhere, supporting attacks and covering brilliantly in defence and exploiting all the open spaces. First half yesterday was very slow and cagey, he couldn't offer more than he did, he's an average midfielder in those conditions. Second half, spaces opened and he was filling them all brilliantly, becoming motm. That's just who Fred is.
Yeah, wouldn’t disagree with much of that. It’s more the idea that he alone is absolutely shit in the first half and great after half time. When in reality, it’s usually part of a bigger picture where our whole team have been under the cosh, then find their feet when ETH fixes issues unrelated to Fred. Once the team as a whole starts to function then Fred (and everyone else) look like better players.

Reddevillondoner

I was so impressed with him yesterday. What a Stunning performance.

He carried the call well, he had defensive headers, he scored. He was everywhere. ETH described him as a mosquito, I can’t help but agree with that.

Around the 55 min mark he bullies the ball from Kounde and goes on this amazing run but my favourite was his 1/2 with Garnacho, his return ball was so good.

I am liking 2023 Fred.

Litch

Absolutely spot on. I think people forensically look for his mistakes everytime he gets the ball. Then when you look at the stats, these are better than most including Casemiro (at times), but that doesn't suit the narrative.

NZT-One

Very well put, I agree completely.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
All games he started this season:

Basically, apart from the disaster at the beginning of the season where he played deep, he has done very well. 5G+2A in all competitions (including coming as a sub).

Draw against Leeds (paired with Sabitzer mind you) and Barca, both a bit unlucky. I think he was still our best option in both of those games, even if Eriksen was available.

Lecland07

I thought he was actually one of our better players in the first half, but he was vastly improved in the second half, along with most of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.