Fred | no longer Fred the Red but now a Turkish delight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Before I like a player, I make sure that they have a degree in English.
If a player’s career pass completion drops below 79.65% I have to start disliking them.

IrishRedDevil

I’m enjoying my beer because Fred is leaving. I’m entitled to my opinion.
I don’t intend to spend my Thursday night getting into a lengthy debate about it, that’s all.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Thanks for your service Fred, never what we needed in the midfield glad McFred is over

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
People’s inability to just be normal never ceases to amaze me.

Revaulx

I think his inconsistency is what makes him average, he is a good (might be better to say talented?) player but not one you can rely on week in week out.
His good games tend to be when we’re struggling to keep control in the second half. Bring him on and he won’t regain us control, but he’ll make sure that the opposition’s life isn’t easy.

I imagine that the players we’ve brought in, not least Onana, should theoretically ensure that we can control games better. Hence less need for Fred the Firefighter?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really strange player Fred.
Top class engine, that was undoubted.

But we never quite worked out what sort of mid he was. Usually used defensively, but he's not really that sort of player.
Not great at passing, shooting or assisting, so not at home too far forward.
So it was a strange sort of high energy harrying up and down role.

Even harder to judge what was going on, when paired with Mctom who you could argue was very similar to the above description but less good at winning the ball.

Devil81

Why aren't they Saudi teams paying us 40 million for our average players??

saik

Not his biggest fan, far from it, but wish him well for the future.

Yorke to Cole

I wish him all the best. He always gave 100% inspite of the circumstances (various managers). I always remember he was brilliant in the second leg against Paris St Germain in 2019. He also,brilliant against Everton in at Goodison in 2020 ( the season before we lost 4-0). A very good competitor.

Have a great future! The Pastor.

OrcaFat

I like Fred. I like all these players who are leaving to be honest. They were ours.

I can’t deny there is something beautiful about watching EtH taking a sledgehammer to our squad and getting rid of every weak link one at a time.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I liked Fred.

He wasn’t great he wasn’t bad he was Fred.

He gave us good Fred and gave us bad Fred.

He gave us the necessary evil of McFred.

We were never winning a league with Fred.

But I liked Fred so good luck and thank you Fred.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A total pro, on and off the pitch. Gone were the days when he, Rashford, and Bruno were lining up to take free-kick. Ha..

Last edited:

Shimo

I will always love being "wrong" in appreciating a player like Fred representing our club. A player that wore the badge with pride, he had the backs of his teammates so often on the pitch that many seem to dismiss and despite the inconsistency in quality on the ball, 100% consistent in his commitment and more than a few top performances. On top of that seems like a genuinely good person off the pitch as well.

Wish him nothing the best and will definitely miss that smile that showed how much he just loves the game.

led_scholes

Fighter. And a player that despite his in-game inconsistency, he was our best performer after Bruno for almost 2 years.

I like him alot and I find the criticism over the top even though I agree he has some traits in his game that are annoying.

He was always trying his best so just for this: thank you Fred and good luck!

DarkXaero

Sad to see him go...still think he is a good reserve midfielder to have, and certainly better than Mctominay, who looks like will end up staying here.

croadyman

So a question to those disappointed with how much we got for him. What kind of figure were you expecting just out of interest

bringbackbebe

Fred will be missed. When he was good, he was really good.He will eventually be a cult figure at OT because of his eccentric performances and overall likability, positiveness and for being non controversial as a character at a time when the dressing room was falling apart. All the best Fred!

Charlie Foley

Sad to see him go, but If we get Amrabat it will be an upgrade and our midfield will be better for it. Fred just couldn't nail down that consistency that you need to survive in a top quality midfield, but he definitely has the talent to make it work somewhere like Turkey if the stars align.
That depends, how well does he speak Turkish?

OverratedOpinion

I liked Fred.

He wasn’t great he wasn’t bad he was Fred.

He gave us good Fred and gave us bad Fred.

He gave us the necessary evil of McFred.

We were never winning a league with Fred.

But I liked Fred so good luck and thank you Fred.
Something about this post was quite brilliant.

Kingofwinners

Nothing against him personally but I am glad he’s gone, we can build a better team. Delighted with the fee, feel slightly guilty taking it from Fenerbache for such an unpredictable player. But good luck to them both.

His attitude is good, there’s a simple reason no better offers were made and why ETH wanted to sell. He just isn’t that good at football….. But he gave it 100% all the time so thanks for that.

Fabio Rochemback

He was alright if you ignore the price tag. Now is the right time for him to move on, hopefully McTominay follows.

jeepers

All the best, Fred.

Not his fault the managers he played for didn't know how to best use him, but he wasn't consistent enough even when he was first choice. It is amazing how he can have great touches/passes/finishes in one game (e.g. his through ball to Bruno against Fulham) and turn to complete shit the next. Same issue with McT, however I would consider Fred a superior player. I'm sure he was loved in the dressing room because he was always smiling and happy. Hopefully McT follows you out.

Plastic Evra

So a question to those disappointed with how much we got for him. What kind of figure were you expecting just out of interest
I think the optimistic valuation (shared by the club, reportedly) was 20m£ which isn't that ludicrous.

mintyred

Really strange player Fred.
Top class engine, that was undoubted.

But we never quite worked out what sort of mid he was. Usually used defensively, but he's not really that sort of player.
Not great at passing, shooting or assisting, so not at home too far forward.
So it was a strange sort of high energy harrying up and down role.

Even harder to judge what was going on, when paired with Mctom who you could argue was very similar to the above description but less good at winning the ball.
He was an AM at his old club although he doesn’t seem to have the qualities to play there. We used him wrong but he was never a top midfielder as he wasn’t good at the basics.

Id prefer we sold McTominay as at least Fred offered something to a game of football although it wasn’t always good.

Watching him for Brazil he’s much better .

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good deal for us, 30 year old and only one year left on contract. So 15 million euros is a decent fee.

Hopefully he will have a good time at his new club. Such a confusing player, never seen a player who was so erratic. His good was very good and bad was hilariously bad. He worked his socks off every time he was on the pitch and you will never find a optimistic player than Fred. He stood in set piece line every single time when everyone knew there is not a hope he will get it.

Meep

Bye Fred!

Now I will go on youtube and watch a compilation of Fred-shots from outside the box, in the dying minutes of matches where we desperately needed a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.