Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dal

I mean come on :drool:
This doesn’t mean that I don’t rate him as one of the best but I wonder if that stat only relates to a player who has had exactly 25 ariel duels.

edit : just read opta and it’s 25 or more Ariel duals which is a sensational stat.

He’ll play at this level I feel for another 5 years at least. Leader.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't need to prove that he can,

You brought it up :lol:

I watched the games unlike you who types on youtube: Maguire fails.

Incredibly convincing rebuttal.

I watched enough matches for United and England to come up with the conclusion that Maguire is a good passer.

I had yet to notice you hold that opinion. Thought you read it in a magazine somewhere.
That clip was some of the dumbest shit someone did in that game, and among the dumbest things Harry did all tournament. Yet you have multiple posts saying it's a perfectly fine play for 10 different reasons, but at the same time you're saying it's only one mistake :confused: You defending it inconsistently with these mutually exclusive positions tells me you're just defending him for the sake of it. I'm fairly convinced I could show you a video of Harry taking a dump on the ball, and you'd still get angry at me for criticizing his decision.

I've made my point that Harry is a good defender whose ability on the ball is closer to that of say Stam, than Ferdinand. If you disagree, like the majority of the posters on here, fine. I don't understand why my position is so infuriating to you, that you feel the need to add an insult of the mold of: "you've never played footy/you don't watch the games/you're a secret scouser", etc each post, even after having it pointed out to you that it's unwelcome.

You’d have to be a moron to think I called you a moron. VDV was the subject.
Sorry, I kinda skimmed over your post, because you went on some VVD & VDV rant instead of discussing the subject, Harry Maguire.

Just in case you don't understand, I included the vid for the footage of Harry Maguire, not because I expect people to understand Dutch.

AFC NimbleThumb

Fair play Harry, I’ll likely be a sceptic till he wins something with the club but his accolades as a player speak for themselves.

World Cup, Euros & Premiership Teams of the Tournament is some going - come on lad just captain us to something. . .

Impulse

That's not true. He hasn't been in the PFA team of the year or the World Cup team of the tournament.

AFC NimbleThumb

That's not true. He hasn't been in the PFA team of the year or the World Cup team of the tournament.
I stand corrected.

I didn’t remember World Cup, couldn’t tell you who did make the team & assumed at some point he got a PFA nod. Even Pogba has at some point.

A quick glance at his Wiki, he’s had quite a few individual honours at each level he’s played tbf to him.

Edit: Feck me, Lovren did. . .

Edit2: . . . & Paulinho!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fair play Harry, I’ll likely be a sceptic till he wins something with the club but his accolades as a player speak for themselves.

World Cup, Euros & Premiership Teams of the Tournament is some going - come on lad just captain us to something. . .
I don’t think he was in the World Cup team of the tournament...

Classical Mechanic

Apparently it was Lovren. . .

I also assumed he got PFA team of the year the season prior to coming to us. . . Apparently not the case either.
It's not your fault Sportbible got it wrong in fairness. He did have a very good World Cup actually and he's made whoscored's Premier League team of the season last year so perhaps they're being sneaky and using other TotS to generate clicks.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Apparently it was Lovren. . .

I also assumed he got PFA team of the year the season prior to coming to us. . . Apparently not the case either.
Maguire did have a very good World Cup to be fair to him. He’s one of those players who plays very well more often than not but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong, which leads to people ridiculing him rather unfairly in my opinion. Rival fans act like he’s a banter player & he really isn’t at all.

AFC NimbleThumb

It's not your fault Sportbible got it wrong in fairness. He did have a very good World Cup actually and he's made whoscored's Premier League team of the season last year so perhaps they're being sneaky and using other TotS to generate clicks.
To be fair it was a lazy assumption on my end.

You’re right though, they’ve probably used other TotS’.

Now he’s pretty much been singled out as a top player at every level he’s played it’s time to win something.

Maguire did have a very good World Cup to be fair to him. He’s one of those players who plays very well more often than not but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong, which leads to people ridiculing him rather unfairly in my opinion. Rival fans act like he’s a banter player & he really isn’t at all.
Yea when it goes bad, it’s bad & I’ve been a major critic but when it comes to rival fans I pretty much switch off, you’d think the man was a semi-professional the way some fans go on.

He’s a damn good CB & Id like nothing more than to see him captain us to silverware.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Maguire is absolutely a top tier CB. People that continually refuse to give him the credit he deserves are either anti-english or biased against slab heads.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Oh no, someones unpopular opinion upsets me! Mods, please ban him or I won't be able to sleep!
I'll change my opinion so you'll be able to sleep and I won't get banned:

Maguire can play out the back at the same level as Virgil/Badstuber/Alaba.

Happy?

but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong,
Yea when it goes bad, it’s bad.
I think this description applies more to someone like Lindelof. Harry's very consistent and he's good at minimizing the damage when he does feck up. Maybe he just looks a bit clumsy in those situations and that's what you guys are referring to?

3vra

Absolute beast - we would've won the Europa league if he was playing.
Probably but if we did do you think we would be able to buy Sancho, Varane and our other targets ?
I think the only reason we are probably going to have spectacular transfer window is because of our failure to win anything in the past years.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The quote has always been that when he's the best defender at the club, the defence might not be brilliant. But if he's the second best defender at the club, then you're looking at a title winning side.

Harry Maguire will look absolutely immense next year next to varane.

Chief123

Harry Maguire has kind of gone under the radar a bit with the attention on Varane and England’s run in the tournament.

I have to hold my hands up and say I was completely wrong on him. Even though I thought he was brilliant in his first season, at the beginning of last season I genuinely thought he’d been found out and he was going to be a huge flop. I honestly thought we had a major problem we were going to have to carry for years to come.

Since his issues in Greece, after his poor start, he’s been absolutely brilliant and has just got better with every single game. He’s become such a beast for us and England.

From going from comical defending at the beginning of season to turn it around so much in the same season has been brilliant.

I can’t believe at one point I felt like Maguire was a bigger problem than Lindelof.

Chief123

Probably but if we did do you think we would be able to buy Sancho, Varane and our other targets ?
I think the only reason we are probably going to have spectacular transfer window is because of our failure to win anything in the past years.
I agree with this. If we won the europa league I did think that the board may see it as a false sense of security and not invest heavily this summer.

I do think the backlash from the fans and the protests at the ground will have had an impact on the owners. I genuinely believe our activity this summer has been influenced by the Glazers wanting to ease the heat on them and thinking about protecting their long term road ahead.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
With Varane and his star player profile, hopefully it means no Lindelof at all. Just hope both our starter CBs stay fit.

Jacob

So happy to have him. Image Varane next to him :drool: Rio-Vidic partnership level (potentially)

meamth

Oozes class.

Said it again, if he can climb the footballing ladder like he did, he can be whatever he wants to be.

Now he is one of the best in the world. Manchester United has given him that platform.

Sylar

Hes getting 5+ goals next season from set pieces :)

Also his link up with Shaw :drool:
If he doesnt get injured last season, we win that final. Saying that... if he doesnt get injured, and we win, do you think we rush to get Sancho and Varane?

acnumber9

His passing was as good as I’ve ever seen it for us. Quick and incisive, no dawdling on the ball for no reason. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come.

RedDevilRoshi

Great header for the goal (think that’s his 1st goal at Old Trafford?). He brings that calmness and composure at the back when things begin to look shaky. Badly missed that leadership when he got injured last season.

He looked a real dangerous threat from set-pieces today which is something we didn’t see much of last season as we didn’t look like scoring goals from in-direct free kicks or corners. Can’t wait to see him next to Varane :D

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Great header for the goal (think that’s his 1st goal at Old Trafford?). He brings that calmness and composure at the back when things begin to look shaky. Badly missed that leadership when he got injured last season.

He looked a real dangerous threat from set-pieces today which is something we didn’t see much of last season as we didn’t look like scoring goals from in-direct free kicks or corners. Can’t wait to see him next to Varane :D
He won a lot of headers in the opposition box last season tbf. The unusual bit was scoring.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
looking really sharp and full of confidence, great to see

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
His passing was as good as I’ve ever seen it for us. Quick and incisive, no dawdling on the ball for no reason. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come.
One of my gripes of the past two seasons was how slow our build up was when we got the ball to our defenders. I hope that this is a sign that we will ping that ball into our forward players much quicker, and accurately.

Andersons Dietician

Looked well off the pace today. Really shaky, sort of got back the composure in his game in the last 20 and started to look better. How that wasn’t a pen he gave away I’ll never know. As clean a contact as you can get. Yes it was an crossing over error but he’s totally clipped him.

The Red Thinker

Looked well off the pace today. Really shaky, sort of got back the composure in his game in the last 20 and started to look better. How that wasn’t a pen he gave away I’ll never know. As clean a contact as you can get. Yes it was an crossing over error but he’s totally clipped him.
It ain't about the contact but the nature of it. Clearly extended his leg and made a drama of it. VAR and no person with any common sense of football will give that a pen ffs.

Andersons Dietician

It ain't about the contact but the nature of it. Clearly extended his leg and made a drama of it. VAR and no person with any common sense of football will give that a pen ffs.
You know when you run your leg has to go back right to have a good stride pattern, he’s clipped him, which interrupts his stride causing him to fall over. Pen all day for me.

The Red Thinker

You know when you run your leg has to go back right to have a good stride pattern, he’s clipped him, which interrupts his stride causing him to fall over. Pen all day for me.
Thank god you'll never see a premier league pitch in black. Feck me. Go watch it again from the other angle. Man was falling before even Maguire got there.

Sylar

Thats not going to be given as a penalty, rightfully so. Glad VAR and the refs are bringing in some common sense. Maguire didnt make a challenge, and that wont be seen as a penalty this season (well if refs do their job right like today).

A-man

He was a bit sloppy on the ball today but that will improve with some matches. What worried me was how often he was isolated 1v1 against mainly Raphinha in the first half. This is really his weakness and we must manage that somehow if we’re going to play a high line.

Status
Not open for further replies.