Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Maguire still needs to be Captain. He's so huge that he looks like Captain America.
I bet that this was exactly as much thought that was put into the decision.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't think it's everyone else with short memories.... He's been pretty poor since he arrived. 19/20 season he was average/poor, 20/21 season he was awful for the first few months and it was blamed on the apparent Greece incident. He did pick up form later in the season but again was just OK, he's never been good or consistent as you put it. Now fast forward to this season and he's awful again. He's been poor far more often than he's been good. He's not good enough as a defender nor as a captain for this club.
He's definitely been inconsistent, but you are being a bit harsh here.

19/20 he was inconsistent, but his good matches and periods were definitely better than 'average'. Then in 20/21 he did have a terrible start but he was very good in the second half of the season, right up there with the best in the league.

So while I agree he hasn't been good enough for us so far, he has shown enough with his top level that I'm holding out hope for now. He really should be dropped for a few weeks though to get his head together.

Bestietom

I don't think you could name one player in our backline who has been consistent this season so far. I don't know who is to blame for this.
Is it the coaching staff.
Is it the manager
Is it Fatigue/Fitness
Is it the cover in front of them.

All these must be taken into account and rectified, whether it's by the existing manager and coaches along with the players, or else by a new manger and coaches. The sooner this happens the quicker we will improve and maybe get into that top 4.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Maguire still needs to be Captain. He's so huge that he looks like Captain America.

Remember when Bruno was made captain against Villarreal in the Europa final, Bruno spent all his time giving orders and arguing with the referee and this ended up affecting his game.
He does that in most games to be fair!

edgecutter

I know people want to defend him over the goal celebration, but our captain has just put a massive target on his back and another feck up against Watford is going to give him a hell of a lot abuse, more than he has received now.

Marwood

I think a few need to calm down a bit re Maguire.

Worst signing ever and all that talk.

Also, yeah he's been poor this season but he will improve. This isn't his level. Who knows what's going on with the whole team but he will get back to being the very good defender he is.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Can someone link the goal celebration? I don't quite get what could be causing such ire.

Lyng

And that's it?
Well it was longer than that but this part is the only one I have an issue with. Him being happy about scoring for his country amidst a difficult time makes sense and he should celebrate. But the whole plugging your ears as to tell his critics they where wrong, is incredibly tone deaf for a United Captain in this current time.

TwoSheds

Well it was longer than that but this part is the only one I have an issue with. Him being happy about scoring for his country amidst a difficult time makes sense and he should celebrate. But the whole plugging your ears as to tell his critics they where wrong, is incredibly tone deaf for a United Captain in this current time.
Well it's a bit weird to celebrate a goal against a bunch of off duty cigarette smugglers like that but...are we really making a thing out of something so insignificant? I suppose I find Maguire very hard to have any strong feelings about one way or another really. Other than having a good nickname and song, he seems... alright? As a player and person - decent but totally unremarkable.

Lyng

Well it's a bit weird to celebrate a goal against a bunch of off duty cigarette smugglers like that but...are we really making a thing out of something so insignificant? I suppose I find Maguire very hard to have any strong feelings about one way or another really. Other than having a good nickname and song, he seems... alright? As a player and person - decent but totally unremarkable.
I think the major issue is him being the captain. If he wasnt I highly doubt anyone would care. But him being the captain I think he should know better, especially given Uniteds (and his own) form this season.

Marwood

You've no idea what he's like as a person. Calling him unremarkable on a personal level is the kind of stuff everyone needs to get away from.

TwoSheds

You've no idea what he's like as a person. Calling him unremarkable on a personal level is the kind of stuff everyone needs to get away from.
:lol: ok I'll remark upon him then.

YouknowNani

And that's it?
I think you are missing the problem here. Maguire thinks he's been unfairly treated, had unfair criticism and thinks he's proven his critics wrong by scoring a goal again Albania....that's clearly what his celebration implied and it shows how deluded he is. Rather than accepting he's been crap, he scores one goal for England and slides on his knees with hands behind ears and then finger in ears to say "What have you got so say now haters" as if he's rectified being a crap defender for months and costing United multiple conceded goals.

HailtotheKing

I don't think you could name one player in our backline who has been consistent this season so far. I don't know who is to blame for this.
Is it the coaching staff.
Is it the manager
Is it Fatigue/Fitness
Is it the cover in front of them.

All these must be taken into account and rectified, whether it's by the existing manager and coaches along with the players, or else by a new manger and coaches. The sooner this happens the quicker we will improve and maybe get into that top 4.
Yeah, if only we’d had an international break so we could have worked on some of those things.

HailtotheKing

I think you are missing the problem here. Maguire thinks he's been unfairly treated, had unfair criticism and thinks he's proven his critics wrong by scoring a goal again Albania....that's clearly what his celebration implied and it shows how deluded he is. Rather than accepting he's been crap, he scores one goal for England and slides on his knees with hands behind ears and then finger in ears to say "What have you got so say now haters" as if he's rectified being a crap defender for months and costing United multiple conceded goals.
Exactly, and the delusion continues in the post match where he says as utd captain it’s normal to get some flack when the team is playing badly. As if he actually believes the only reason he’s getting it is because he’s captain. No Harry, it’s because you’ve been playing shit mate and responsible for half of the goals. I don’t really care about the celebration. Footballs a passionate sport. He gets burned on social media he reacts emotionally. Cool. My problem is his seemingly total lack of self responsibility. That’s a terrible quality to have as a captain.

mu4c_20le

It's his mentality that worries me. As our captain, I'd expect himself to be his own biggest critic. Then again, if he goes on an amazing run after this and proves me wrong, I'll happily come back and apologize.

Skills

Snitch
He's making himself an easy target for whoever the next manager is to use him as a bit of "social currency" to make his mark.

YouknowNani

Exactly, and the delusion continues in the post match where he says as utd captain it’s normal to get some flack when the team is playing badly. As if he actually believes the only reason he’s getting it is because he’s captain. No Harry, it’s because you’ve been playing shit mate and responsible for half of the goals. I don’t really care about the celebration. Footballs a passionate sport. He gets burned on social media he reacts emotionally. Cool. My problem is his seemingly total lack of self responsibility. That’s a terrible quality to have as a captain.
Yep. He's genuinely deluded. I've watched interviews of him previously where other top class centre backs are spoken about or great players, you can see from his responses he genuinely thinks he's world class and above these players. I'd have to dig out the interview to remind myself exactly what he said but if someone asked the guy, who does he honestly think is better out of him and van Dijk, he'd say himself.

Woodzy

As shit as his performances have been, the entire football world is mocking him atm. Can’t be nice, hope he can turn it around soon.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s no surprise that most of our players will be doing better for country then club. It obviously comes down to management…

miked99

Why is it his heading is so much more accurate for England? He miscues so many attacking headers for United. Could add 10 goals a season for us easily if he could head it properly :lol:

spiriticon

Why is it his heading is so much more accurate for England? He miscues so many attacking headers for United. Could add 10 goals a season for us easily if he could head it properly :lol:
Because San Marino and Albania footballers don't really do defending. In fact, they probably don't do much footballing.

miked99

Because San Marino and Albania footballers don't really do defending. In fact, they probably don't do much footballing.
Yeah obviously those two teams aren't the best, but they aren't the only teams he's scored against - he's scored in a World Cup Quarter-final, Euros Quarter-final etc. Soon as he puts our shirt on the ball bobbles apologetically off his head for a goal kick nine times out of ten.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
cnut

How about sticking some of those away for your club eh skipper

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Wasn't he partly injured the entire season? Why is he playing irrelevant games?

Or was that just our english boys standard PR people doing their job after their poor performances?

spiriticon

Yeah obviously those two teams aren't the best, but they aren't the only teams he's scored against - he's scored in a World Cup Quarter-final, Euros Quarter-final etc. Soon as he puts our shirt on the ball bobbles apologetically off his head for a goal kick nine times out of ten.
He's scored a few for us as well. It's just that he plays a lot more games for us, against better opposition than San Marino/Albania.

If he only played in the major tournaments for England, his conversion rate wouldn't be far off what it is for us.

Bertie 2 Hats

Maguire should have done a similar goal celebration that Emmanuel Adebayor did for City against Arsenal.. but running to the England supporters instead :devil:

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Glad that he is getting that confidence. I'm not watching the game, how is his defense part of the game?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
England are currently playing a team who have never won a world cup qualifying match.
True… your point is what? Young boys are probably one of the worse teams in the champions league yet we get beat to them.

Sweet Square

True… your point is what? Young boys are probably one of the worse teams in the champions league yet we get beat to them.
Any team in the Champion League is a million miles better than San Marion. San Marion are the lowest rated team in the Fifa rankings, have never won a competitive match and one of their midfielders works part time at a car dealership.

Last edited:

United in sin

There is still elements of correct positioning, reaction to threats, ext.
Defending is not just about fancy blocks you know.
What threat? Listen to the man, it's San Marino. I watched the game for 20 minutes and the game is so lopsided it should be stopped IMO. San Marino literally can't hold the ball for more than 2 passes and they're parking the bus. 0-7 at latest count, just switched to the Northern Ireland-Italy game.

Edit: 8-0 now

Status
Not open for further replies.