Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Signing Varane is actually hurt him more than helping him. Now we get to see what an actual class CB play like.

Would be interesting if someone ask Varane of what he thinks, after years of playing alongside Ramos the leader, then taste with this United leader so far. Maybe he got injured because of laughing so hard after every game.

Last edited:

ti vu

You don’t seriously thing Maguire is a worse captain than Young or Valencia do you?
He is worse.

Valencia won trophies as our captain. He had a sharp decline, but he was consistent as RB. Maguire in 3 seasons, already have 2 different period where he's dogshite. When he's not completely liability, he's flawed, and require all kind of cover to shield his weakness. Even his good form is short lived and not something formidable to boast about (not elite).

Ole was the one who made Ashley Young captain, and let him go in the following few months. If you insist on Young being a worse captain, then we can agree Ole has shite taste for captain. If Young had to leave after few months after appointed new captain, Maguire with his fair share of stinking up the place, he should be sent packing already?!

Donut

He was good to great for the majority of last season, but this year he has been absolutely awful, gifting goals every single game. He needs to be dropped.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He was statistically top 3 CB's in the league last season and he was especially a rock from December to May. It's impossible for anyone to predict his shit form this season.
I understand his form is bad, but he was shite on the ball last year too. He's been having comically bad howlers from his poor touch since before he even joined Utd and throughout his career here. His passing is so uninspired. Do you remember the last time he passed through the lines in a United shirt?

We used to have Rio. We had Blind not too long. If you think Maguire is generally good on the ball, who do you think is bad on the ball? Where are your standards? We even have a guy playing next to him playing much better passes, but who's nowhere near the 2 guys I just mentioned.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
What does that even mean. He played far better than he has prior to his red card. I mean he stopped a certain
He did play better than he has previously but was still absiolutely terrible, he could hardly get any worse than previous games.
Hes slow on the ball, no where near the striker for the 2nd goal and then gets a red. Constant long balls, no organisation in defence either or link with the midfield, glad he was sent off so he will be dropped at long last.

Son

I despair for our scouting if we thought he was a ball playing centre half.

Watch what happens every week; strikers make bullet runs at him all the time because he is such a weak link. He is pressed intensely every single game. I guarantee opposition team talks are just "Just press him, he'll cough up 1 or 2 chances a game just with simple pressing."

Compare to Varane where attackers make token efforts to press him because he is actually comfortable on the ball.
It’s not that at all. He’s had an awful season for sure but it’s mainly because our playing out from the back was so obvious every side knows Maguire ever single time gets passed the ball first so of course they know how to press.

When he regains form I’m not worried about him. He was quality last couple of years but of course this season he’s been a 1/10 not helped by our outgoing manager either as he should have been out the team to clear his head.

A lot of people said Maguire was probably better with the ball at his feet than Varane and I tend to believe this when he’s played in a side that is well drilled.

Our team has been barely coached this season. It’s that bad now it’s laughable.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It’s not that at all. He’s had an awful season for sure but it’s mainly because our playing out from the back was so obvious every side knows Maguire ever single time gets passed the ball first so of course they know how to press.

When he regains form I’m not worried about him. He was quality last couple of years but of course this season he’s been a 1/10 not helped by our outgoing manager either as he should have been out the team to clear his head.
I like how you're blaming the rest of the team for passing it to Maguire when he's marked. They don't do that. Opposition teams never mark Maguire (unless they can force it long from the GK) , because they want him to have the ball and press him after he's received it.

Didn't Memphis score in the Nations League like that? England NT are also to blame for Maguire's mistakes?

FPL addict

Supports
Leeds Utd
Maguire always has a brain fark in every game. He commit mistakes in almost every game if any team who come at us. I have never seen a so call world class defender as mistake prone as he is. Doesn't seems to get his act together. Best suited to a mid table team.

Errr....Man Utd are pretty much a mid table team at the minute ( though admittedly their form is that of a relegation candidate).
By that definition Maguire is a perfect fit.

Son

I like how you're blaming the rest of the team for passing it to Maguire when he's marked. They don't do that. Opposition teams never mark Maguire (unless they can force it long from the GK) , because they want him to have the ball and press him after he's received it.

Didn't Memphis score in the Nations League like that? England NT are also to blame for Maguire's mistakes?
I just find all the scapegoating of our captain pretty disgusting tbh. He was a beast for two seasons for us and it shows how far some of our fans loyalty goes at our club.

He has needed to be taken out of the team a while so why didn’t the manager and coaches do it?

They hung him out to dry in a period he needed to be clearing his head away from the first 11.

Does not mean he is automatically a bad player or finished. He’s a human being and a very good footballer in my book who will come back again and be an asset in our first team in the future. Goes no further than that.

Ixion

The red and armband throw incident
I think he threw it to someone, cant tell if they caught it though. Him getting a little low five from Ole was worse, he should have been giving him a death stare as he went past not a pat on the back. We reward mediocrity constantly.

TheLord

The only reason he's still playing in the Premier League is because he's playing for Manchester United. I don't know if he's good enough for Norwich or Newcastle.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I just find all the scapegoating of our captain pretty disgusting tbh. He was a beast for two seasons for us and it shows how far some of our fans loyalty goes at our club.

He has needed to be taken out of the team a while so why didn’t the manager and coaches do it?

They hung him out to dry in a period he needed to be clearing his head away from the first 11.

Does not mean he is automatically a bad player or finished. He’s a human being and a very good footballer in my book who will come back again and be an asset in our first team in the future. Goes no further than that.
I agree with you he's been hung out to dry.

He's been much better defensively in the last 2 seasons. I wouldn't exactly call him a beast, but he's done well. He's still been comically bad on the ball throughout though. I don't see how that qualifies him as a "very good footballer". How many times does De Vrij do a Maguire stinker, twice a season in 60 games? Harry has 'm on a monthly basis even when he's in supposedly good form.

He's not "a very good footballer". He's a bang average one that's a decent defender.

Wing Attack Plan R

£80 for Magz and £57 for Fred: we were as smart as a drunken sailor with our money. Whoever sanctioned those moves should be out the door along with Ole's entire coaching staff. At least those two finished off the Ole experiment, shame they will still be here. Maguire is a bang average player.

E-mal

Same way you folks backed Ole untill it became obvious he wasnt good enough. You guys never learn.
Physically he is limited, a very slow defender that prevents the team to play a higher line and squeeze the game upfield. Added to the fact he is quite prone to errors.
It's a toss between him and Lindelof and they shouldnt both be starting.
I wouldn't mind we release him to Newcastle for a decent fee, we wont be missing anything he brings to the table.
Lacks leadership and the athleticism to play for us.

Mercurial

I think he threw it to someone, cant tell if they caught it though. Him getting a little low five from Ole was worse, he should have been giving him a death stare as he went past not a pat on the back. We reward mediocrity constantly.
Somehow I, personally have a little hard time faulting Ole for the high five, its just the way he is, he doesn't critique outward and is about 0% toxic. He keeps things in the family. Maybe not the best tactics but he is sympathetic and within character. He wouldn't be Ole without doing something like that.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Same way you folks backed Ole untill it became obvious he wasnt good enough. You guys never learn.
Physically he is limited, a very slow defender that prevents the team to play a higher line and squeeze the game upfield. Added to the fact he is quite prone to errors.
I wouldn't mind we release him to Newcastle for a decent fee, we wont be missing anything he brings to the table.
The upside to having Lindelof as a squad player is that he'll still get picked for Sweden.

Maguire is English and more valuable. We should definitely look to sell him once we buy a CB that isn't a dud in the summer.

Leonzo1

Where is the "this is not acceptable" post Harry? This lad's Instagram form is nearly as bad as his pitch form. I would have at least expected a measley "we go again".

TheLord

He played a few solid games but there was always a major error or two after a run of games. I wouldn't use the word "beast" so casually for a player reserved for actual PL central defensive greats like Rio, Terry, Vidic, van Dijk, Kompany, Adams, and Campbell.

Son

I have always said Ole shouldn’t have ever got the job and should have been sacked after Villarreal last season at the latest.

I have never rated him as manager from the start.

Maguire is quality in the right system if you don’t expose his flaws. I don’t mind if he leaves and we sign a more pacey CB. You might be correct.

The lack of pace worries me as we want to push up the field more in the coming years. He’s a better player than Lindelof but this also means he’s sure not a squad player.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What does that even mean. He played far better than he has prior to his red card. I mean he stopped a certain
If you are talking about the moment I think you are there, it was only such a dangerous situation because Maguire was significantly behind the rest of the defensive line and had played the guy onside in the first place. Yes he did do well to recover and save the moment, but he'd made the original mistake that let it happen.

I thought he actually was looking better for the first 20 minutes or so of the match and was hopeful that the international break had done him some good, but after that he dropped back to the level that he's largely been playing this season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Statistics can get to feck. They only ever tell a small part of the story. Maguire was decent, nothing exceptional.
Over the course of the entire season you're probably right (seeing as he started last season not much better than he has this one), but he definitely was one of the best defenders in the league in the second half of last season. Ruben Dias is probably the only one who was clearly better.

Unfortunately that half a season is the only time that he's truly been great during his time here. The rest of the time he's been very inconsistent.

Oranges038

Looking at it again this morning.

His positioning for the second goal was bizarre, he ran to the end line and left Sarr loads of room to collect the ball and shoot.

Positioning for his first yellow was a joke.

His touch and tackle for the second yellow was shocking for any player.

Honestly, he is so fecking slow at everything, even just deciding to make a pass takes at least 5-10 seconds. Being so slow, he needs to be good at reading the game and positioning himself to cut out danger. He isn't and he never will be.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Looking at it again this morning.

His positioning for the second goal was bizarre, he ran to the end line and left Sarr loads of room to collect the ball and shoot.

Positioning for his first yellow was a joke.

His touch and tackle for the second yellow was shocking for any player.

Honestly, he is so fecking slow at everything, even just deciding to make a pass takes at least 5-10 seconds. Being so slow, he needs to be good at reading the game and positioning himself to cut out danger. He isn't and he never will be.
I think he should have been given a straight red for his sending off instead of a 2nd yellow

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, why on earth did Ole do that!?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I have always said Ole shouldn’t have ever got the job and should have been sacked after Villarreal last season at the latest.

I have never rated him as manager from the start.

Maguire is quality in the right system if you don’t expose his flaws. I don’t mind if he leaves and we sign a more pacey CB. You might be correct.

The lack of pace worries me as we want to push up the field more in the coming years. He’s a better player than Lindelof but this also means he’s sure not a squad player.
So hes a quality defender if you dont expose his flaws? Yes he was good for 2 seasons, but that was when the league was a mess and everyone was dropping points and struggling.
What are his good qualities? Im not saying hes totally useless but he isnt 80m first team material, decent on the ball most of the time but lacks pace, leadership and organisational skills. His positioning has been suspect for a while now, I mean he placed himself in Greece in the summer and never recovered from that.

Im not saying its all Maguires fault, hes being picked when not fit and when hes out of form and struggling his way through games, his celebration against the mighty Albania is what irked me and the rest of the United supporters. Why do that all?Its not as if you have scored the winning goal in a World cup final and you can silence your critics, it was the first of 5 goals in a training match.

Low 5 to Ole going off, didnt deserve that at all, Ole should have blanked him. His 2 yellow cards both mistakes by him, 2nd goal nowhere near the defender and his effort to block it was a token gesture. Speaking against the Manager last week saying theyve lost faith as well. He is not captain material, you have the manager and players backs no matter what, even last season when there was a red card against Spurs for Martial, Maguire was hiding the other side of the box and didnt want to be involved.

R'hllor

The only amazing thing for me is how he got an armband on the first place.

Gordon Godot

Twitter rumour going round that he's stepping down as captain. Would be telling
So this was tehe guy that Ole played when clearly not fit and kept playing him. Whatever his faults you get exposed at top level when not fit. A lot of this, again is on Ole

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So this was tehe guy that Ole played when clearly not fit and kept playing him. Whatever his faults you get exposed at top level when not fit. A lot of this, again is on Ole
...which is why he's a slopey shouldered sack of shit who's unfit to captain Man Utd? I'm sorry I don't follow.

Gordon S

Should we start to worry a bit for him? Some personal issues? The number of amateur level brainfarts is just ridiculously high.

Status
Not open for further replies.