Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

He needs a few games off. Him and Shaw haven''t had much of a break and both are in desperate need of one. It is cowardly of the manager to go on about how he makes himself available so he plays, just do the right thing and bench him for a few games

ohhrooney

I have never been a big Maguire fan. He has been an average defender for us at least.

Though its not his fault he is the world's most expensive defender and can hardly fault him for being the captain as he never chose that and I am sure even he must he confused at being one.

For me the blame lies on Ole for burning him out, playing him during an ongoing injury and never benching him even if he had a nightmare of a game.

Funnily, Maguire for England is a completely different player, just like so many of our other players somehow become world class when they play for a different team.

Hoping to see a better version of him under a new manager, if not, then we will probably see him sold to Newcastle.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He needs a few games off. Him and Shaw haven''t had much of a break and both are in desperate need of one.
Both being nowhere near the first team would do us the world of good. Absolute shambles the pair of them. I’m starting to wonder if Shaw has returned to his former level before last years blistering form. He’s always had issues and finally found a spark last season when we signed Telles. Fast forward a year and we have the old Shaw back again. Maguire is rubbish though. Could probably stick together a ten minute video alone of his mistakes this season.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Hopefully his moronic family can stop sending emails to journalists who are critical of his Sunday league level performances and just enjoy his money.

Bobski

Don't know how anyone can say Maguire is better than Smalling with a straight face. His distribution and first touch etc. (technique) might be superior, but outside of that, he is inferior to Smalling in every aspect from mental to physical.
Peak Smalling, say around 2016 was a far better defender than Maguire has ever been. Now, it has proven to be the correct call to move on from Smalling as his level has dropped massively due to his injuries in the last 3 years but Maguire has never been part of a strong defensive side. The hype around him was driven by those eye catching runs forward with the ball, which would become, predictability, pointless at a top club and his aerial prowess, which is best suited to playing a team who defend deep and counter attack.

Set up higher on the pitch and he is a major problem.

A-man

He needs a few games off. Him and Shaw haven''t had much of a break and both are in desperate need of one. It is cowardly of the manager to go on about how he makes himself available so he plays, just do the right thing and bench him for a few games
I agree he needs some matches off, and hopefully come back. But not only for him to come back, but also because performances like wrve seen lately should cost you your spot in the starting xi.
I had a look at minutes played this season (since last season finished, which means the stats include the Euros). We have some players who already this early in to the season, have played an insane amount of minutes:

Lindelof 2550
Bruno 2530
Ronaldo 2448
Maguire 2433
Shaw 2207
McT 2084
Pogba 1894
DDG 1800
Varane 1596
AWB 1295
Greenwood 1055
Sancho 1012
Fred 942
Martial 781
Rashford 558

Four players who already have played more than 2400 minutes for club and country.
I know it’s not unique, other teams have that too, but still it is insane imo.

spiriticon

I don't get why people say he's decent on the ball. He's terrible.

He has the first touch of Lukaku, the turning circle of a tank and shits himself at the first sign of a press.

No way can he be described as being 'decent on the ball'.

Eddy_JukeZ

We need to get rid of him in the summer.

Should be stripped of the captaincy now though.

Ixion

I heard Goldbridge say there were pictures of him out of a bar or restaurant last night? Anyone got any links to that.

Idxomer

Should be on the transfer list, and the hope Newcastle would bite.

Get Kounde or Torres instead.

Keefy18

Man goes outside... and?

They have lives.

I'm all for him being dropped for a few games to try get his head straight and possibly give it another go before the season's out but trying to make something out of this kind of thing is ridiculous.

Ixion

Man goes outside... and?

They have lives.

I'm all for him being dropped for a few games to try get his head straight and possibly give it another go before the season's out but trying to make something out of this kind of thing is ridiculous.
He should have some common sense. He was a big reason why we lost getting sent off its a pretty bad look to then go out posing for pictures smiling hours later. He's the fecking captain he should set the example, we have another game in 2 days that we cannot lose. If Pogba did this the shit he would get would be unreal. Rashford gets shit for trying to feed hungry kids in his spare time.

shahzy

I don't get why people say he's decent on the ball. He's terrible.

He has the first touch of Lukaku, the turning circle of a tank and shits himself at the first sign of a press.

No way can he be described as being 'decent on the ball'.
It's a literal oil tanker. Takes 3 years to turn, 3 years to control a ball, 3 years to make a decision

Castia

I’m beginning to hate this guy.

Lets be honest he’s a complete flop at 80m, a player not fit to captain a club like United. The thing that’s pissed me off more than most was cupping his ears against Andorra whilst playing shit for us and going out on the piss after a game he did exactly the same after the Liverpool game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do people have proof that picture is actually from yesterday?

It seems to say it's from Sheffield.

So he went from Watford to Sheffield all on the same day his team lost and then also went out.

PoTMS

Is Eddie Howe a fan? Please sell him. I'd happily take £30m for him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Peak Smalling, say around 2016 was a far better defender than Maguire has ever been. Now, it has proven to be the correct call to move on from Smalling as his level has dropped massively due to his injuries in the last 3 years but Maguire has never been part of a strong defensive side. The hype around him was driven by those eye catching runs forward with the ball, which would become, predictability, pointless at a top club and his aerial prowess, which is best suited to playing a team who defend deep and counter attack.

Set up higher on the pitch and he is a major problem.
I've a different take on him as a defender in the sense that he is a proactively one who wants to be touch tight on his man and physically restrictive - when he first got here, before his confidence was eroded, he was all about breaking rank and meeting his man high - obviously with his slowness and turning circle, it's imperative he takes either the man or the ball, but never letting both go past, but he needs a sweeper keeper behind him and a defensive partner with recovery pace to play in that manner.

His poor judgement and reading of play conflicts with the game he has, however, which is why he gets done so often - it's not because he's slow and lacking mobility [alone] that he gets done, it's that he just doesn't read play well enough to play in the way he wants at a club with our aspirations. It's eye-catching at smaller clubs, especially when pulled off with ball-winning and immediately carrying the ball up the pitch and into a useful, progressive pass, but Maguire is not Koeman or Pique let alone Sammer or Beckenbauer, so he fecks up more often than completes the action. Combine that with a loss of confidence and being unfit, and it's an obvious recipe for disaster.

By contrast, England play as negatively as possible and enshroud him with bodies and play a deeper line on top - he looks a different player there but also not one playing the game that earned him his move or had City, and their ball-playing requirements, interested. I really don't think this is a perquisite for him, however, but playing that why obviously protects him and basically prevents him from ever being exposed except in one-on-ones with superior attackers where we see his level as a pure defender.

Smalling's injuries are fair enough, but outside of his ridiculous penchant for grabbing shirts in the box and his often spoken about technical issues, he's easily a better defender than Maguire. Reads play quicker, more aggressive, physically superior, faster, stronger, taller, mentally superior. Even in decline I'd say just there, Maguire's very best just about draws them equal. But it's by the by, I guess, especially with Smalling now being near over the hill in his own right.

Just madness that the outlay has been such a poor spend - at half the price, taking Maguire for what he is, warts and all isn't difficult, but for a line-leading captain, in the elite price bracket, he's been a bad spend with his average and poor games outstripping his good or great ones by some distance.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We need to get rid of him in the summer.

Should be stripped of the captaincy now though.
The thing is though, he's a decent defender when on form. That's it though - decent. So he's worth keeping around as a squad option because, quite frankly, that's his level. I've said this many times, but he's just a player who's been elevated way above his ability. He's nowhere near world class, which you obviously expect for the most expensive defender in history. He's not an automatic starter, but instead someone who should be rotated with others.

And yeah, he absolutely should not be captain. Wild decision to give him the armband.

Idxomer

The thing is though, he's a decent defender when on form. That's it though - decent. So he's worth keeping around as a squad option because, quite frankly, that's his level. I've said this many times, but he's just a player who's been elevated way above his ability. He's nowhere near world class, which you obviously expect for the most expensive defender in history. He's not an automatic starter, but instead someone who should be rotated with others.

And yeah, he absolutely should not be captain. Wild decision to give him the armband.
Can you really keep an 80m player as a squad option?

It was the same with Lukaku, I don't rate Maguire but he still has value being a guaranteed starter for England which is why we should look to upgrade.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I've a different take on him as a defender in the sense that he is a proactively one who wants to be touch tight on his man and physically restrictive - when he first got here, before his confidence was eroded, he was all about breaking rank and meeting his man high - obviously with his slowness and turning circle, it's imperative he takes either the man or the ball, but never letting both go past, but he needs a sweeper keeper behind him and a defensive partner with recovery pace to play in that manner.

His poor judgement and reading of play conflicts with the game he has, however, which is why he gets done so often - it's not because he's slow and lacking mobility, it's that he just doesn't read play well enough to play in the way he wants at a club with our aspirations.
He certainly likes to step up and meet his opponent higher, but he likes to step up from a deeper line. Starting out in a higher line is a very different matter.

As for the main reason of why he gets done so often — it's all of those things. If you have at least one of them (good positioning or recovery pace & agility), you can compensate for the lack of another — like Bobby Moore did for the lack of speed for example (it's a blasphemous example but stylistically Harry at his best tries to do same things that young Moore did — he also loved to step up and cut the attack preemptively even if he needed to go as far forward as central midfield) or someone like, I don't know, Jones, who could've made up after making a positional mistake.

crossy1686

career ending

It was the same with Lukaku, I don't rate Maguire but he still has value being a guaranteed starter for England which is why we should look to upgrade.
Aren’t we being linked with that lad from Sevilla that Chelsea missed out on? Don’t know enough about him to say he’s an improvement but at least he doesn’t look like Maguire

crossy1686

career ending
I heard Goldbridge say there were pictures of him out of a bar or restaurant last night? Anyone got any links to that.
Don’t take anything Goldridge says seriously, and if Maguire wants to go out and celebrate with his family after successfully getting Solskjaer sacked then that’s up to him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The fact that it is how he dresses when he goes clubbing should see him sacked for just cause. He is embarrassing the clubs's clubbing tradition, the likes of Giggs won't be impressed.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I do find him an absolute embarrassment tbh. You can tell he doesn’t have the mentality.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Depends on how much you believe you can get for him I suppose. Because it comes to a point where it may be better to keep him as a rotational player because he is fairly solid when he's at his best, as opposed to selling him for a huge loss and then needing to spend even more to replace him.

It was just a really bad transfer when you factor in the money paid.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Depends on how much you believe you can get for him I suppose. Because it comes to a point where it may be better to keep him as a rotational player because he is fairly solid when he's at his best, as opposed to selling him for a huge loss and then needing to spend even more to replace him.

It was just a really bad transfer when you factor in the money paid.
It was a bad transfer due to the fee. Maguire is a good footballer but not a guaranteed starter, he was worth maybe half of what we paid and it was quite obvious. And I agree with you, keeping him is a good idea similarly to keeping Evans years ago, I wonder if someone like Koundé could replace him, I have liked him for France lately.

saivet

Do people have proof that picture is actually from yesterday?

It seems to say it's from Sheffield.

So he went from Watford to Sheffield all on the same day his team lost and then also went out.
I checked and it was posted on their IG story yesterday. His sister was posting from the venue too and it seemed like their whole family was there. She posted it was their dad's birthday a couple of days ago so they were probably celebrating that.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It was a bad transfer due to the fee. Maguire is a good footballer but not a guaranteed starter, he was worth maybe half of what we paid and it was quite obvious. And I agree with you, keeping him is a good idea similarly to keeping Evans years ago, I wonder if someone like Koundé could replace him, I have liked him for France lately.
Yeah, i would be up for Koundé coming in and replacing Maguire as starter. I'd have him and Varane as our starters, get rid of Baily, and have Maguire and Lindelof as backup/rotation. I know Lindelof gets a kicking on here at times, but I'm a fan of his. Similar to Maguire really, in that he's a very solid squad player who's playing way too much first team football out of necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.