Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saddy

United missed his long passing last night.

Varane, Jones, Matic are so limited in that and Mctominay is a box to box so we didnt have anyone who could carry the ball from the back, Wolves had a walk in the park, they pushed high because they knew no one could unleash a long pass to our strikers and wingers.

Hopefully our captain will be available fot the next match.
Even though his form has declined this season I agree with this - it did my head in seeing Matic dropping into the back 4 to pick the ball up and try his usual dribbling whilst shielding the ball. McTominay was the only passing option to play through midfield and we know how that ends !
This must have been because Maguire wasn't playing.

The 1st half formation was a bloody disaster from Ralf and played right into Wolves hands - we could easily conceded 2/3 goals in that half.

Maguire's strength is usually his constant fitness and if he's not playing every week it will continue to have a negative affect on his form - if Jones stays fit this could keep Maguire out of the side. He will have to fight hard to earn his place back and it will be interesting to see how this goes. Still think the 80M price tag will keep him in the side !

JeffFromHK

He's never been good at any of those things imo - in fact those are what he's always been poor at:

• Positioning - he always seems to be the one player keeping the opposition onside
  • On the ball - awful passer, plays himself and others into trouble
  • Reading of the game - slows things down when we are drawing or losing, panics when we are in control
I've seen all these traits since he started at United, but they have just been amplified much more this season.
in my opinion, his biggest shortcoming is his lower-tier club mentality. He has zero urgency when we are losing by 1 goal at 80th minute.

georgipep

Every defender gets dribbled past and makes mistakes. Otherwise there will be no goals in football games.

Maguire is definitely having a terrible season so far but tweets like this and the majority of opinions on here are both ridiculous and unhelpful.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Maguire's strength is usually his constant fitness and if he's not playing every week it will continue to have a negative affect on his form - if Jones stays fit this could keep Maguire out of the side. He will have to fight hard to earn his place back and it will be interesting to see how this goes. Still think the 80M price tag will keep him in the side !
Not playing every week might be exactly what he needs - the break to recover and press reset that he didn’t get in the summer. His defensive decision-making has been a shambles which suggests his central nervous system needs a proper break.

united for life

Im beginning to think he can’t handle the pressure. I mean he can’t fail to notice the criticism. It’s weird how he can go and look like a different player for England but like a league 1 CB for United.
80 million and the captain’s arm band are too much for him. Sometimes i really think giving the armband to someone else might actually help him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Every defender gets dribbled past and makes mistakes. Otherwise there will be no goals in football games.

Maguire is definitely having a terrible season so far but tweets like this and the majority of opinions on here are both ridiculous and unhelpful.
true

Siezard

Maguire's strength is in attack. He scored two goals in two matches for England.

copen1945

The realities are that he won't be sold and that he won't be on the bench. So, I hope he does well, for Ralf and the permanent manager.

Siezard

Van Dijk isn't very fast at times.

I personally think Gary Cahill (Now at Bournemouth, 1st in the league) is an outstanding defender. The 2 Gabriels from Arsenal were also outstanding.

Red_toad

80 million and the captain’s arm band are too much for him. Sometimes i really think giving the armband to someone else might actually help him.
Valencia and Young preceded him. Armband is feck all, no idea why fans make such an issue about it. We don’t have a Robbo or Keane type figure, so who gets it is pretty irrelevant.

united for life

Valencia and Young preceded him. Armband is feck all, no idea why fans make such an issue about it. We don’t have a Robbo or Keane type figure, so who gets it is pretty irrelevant.
It is relevant for harry. It’s too much pressure on him.

hobbers

It's crazy no one has ever tried to coach him out of those bizarre lunge committals he's always doing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He becomes joke of a defender for us this season, I'd probably have him as the worst CB in the league right now.

Don't know what had happened to him really, I thought he was really good for England during Euro not long ago.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Why is he playing so bad now? he was always a slow player, nothing new, but he was good positionally and good on the ball, good in reading the game, but I guess his bad form is taking too long now he needs to be dropped.
Confidence. Sometimes the things that you do without thinking defines outcome with years and years of practice. Once you begin to question those, you kinda hesitate and everything just stop working. Its a small small things that we take for granted that has big bearings on major things. I feel for him, but alot of his issues are his own doing. I hope he weeds those out.

JeffFromHK

Career PL goals conceded per game: 1.32, higher than Shawcross who played in lower tier teams in his entire career.

It says a lot about his class.

Longshanks

Very much the ultimate scapegoat this season. Dont get me wrong he has been poor individually, but he isn't the crux of our problems.

The example against wolves where he didn't play, Jones and varane actually both had decent games individually yet we could of easily been embarrassed by wolves at home, points to systematic issue the same systematic issue we have had all season.

The reason why his confidence is shot is because the defensive structure round him has fallen apart and he has found himself exposed time and time again causing a drop off in confidence and now he is in a slump with his performances.

So often the defensive line is a couple of meters deeper than it should be leaving the half space for opposition teams to play into causing us to get broken on at will and maguire and co constantly getting overun. I can hardly blame the defenders for taking a couple of steps back when they have David the statue on the line de gea behind them though, because the defenders know that any ball through or over the top they are gonna have to sprint back to deal with because there is very little chance of the keeper showing any interest in sweeping.

georgipep

Van Dijk isn't very fast at times.

I personally think Gary Cahill (Now at Bournemouth, 1st in the league) is an outstanding defender. The 2 Gabriels from Arsenal were also outstanding.
Cahill was certainly an elite defender. You don't play on the level he did if you are not. But he also made a ton of mistakes, just like every other defender.

And what does Bournemouth's position prove? Is Lloyd Kelly an outstanding defender too?

I also don't understand your Van Dijk remark. Is he not one of the best defenders in the world?

Lyng

The difference is that with Van Dijk its an exception. With Maguire its the norm.

SuperiorXI

Again Maguire coming out harping on about how he's the big man captain having words with players and how they need to turn things around.

Sick of this waster.

georgipep

The difference is that with Van Dijk its an exception. With Maguire its the norm.
It's the "norm" this season. Last season he was great and he capped it with a place in the team of the tournament for the Euros.

Btw, I'm not a big fan of his. I think Lindelof and Varane are both better defenders (both with their own flaws) but Maguire is definitely a top class CB.

Siezard

Maguire still pretty good in attack compared to other defenders.

Also, he's a ball playing defender and as mentioned by someone, people miss his long passing.

With Varane, Bailey, Lindelof and Jones, United is well packed in central defence. The main focus should be to upgrade on the midfield.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's the "norm" this season. Last season he was great and he capped it with a place in the team of the tournament for the Euros.

Btw, I'm not a big fan of his. I think Lindelof and Varane are both better defenders (both with their own flaws) but Maguire is definitely a top class CB.
He’s had quite enough blunders in the first half is last season though. And the season before that. There are average defenders that don’t make many mistakes, but with Maguire it’s all or nothing. He’s either brilliant (and he can be brilliant on his day), or he’s a complete disaster — which is a very bad quality for a defensive player.

sillwuka

Maguire's a funny one.

He's neither worth as much as we paid or as bad as he's made out to be. He's a top 6 level CB who will maintain his England place but will never reach world class levels.

Needs to look at his performances this season as they've been below par.

georgipep

He’s had quite enough blunders in the first half is last season though. And the season before that. There are average defenders that don’t make many mistakes, but with Maguire it’s all or nothing. He’s either brilliant (and he can be brilliant on his day), or he’s a complete disaster — which is a very bad quality for a defensive player.
I think you overestimate other clubs' defenders and underestimate ours. And that's normal, all fans do the same for their own club's players. But there is a reason why Maguire was wanted by Guardiola and was part of the Euros team of the tournament.

harms

Staff
I think you overestimate other clubs' defenders and underestimate ours. And that's normal, all fans do the same for their own club's players. But there is a reason why Maguire was wanted by Guardiola and was part of the Euros team of the tournament.
I’ve replied to that Giardiola argument so many times that I can’t be bothered anymore but it’s not a good one.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I’ve replied to that Giardiola argument so many times that I can’t be bothered anymore but it’s not a good one.
Would you mind doing so more time? I don't believe I've read it before.

harms

Staff
Would you mind doing so more time? I don't believe I've read it before.
It’s one of the most common arguments for Maguire’s supposed quality that doesn’t really mean anything (unlike his place in the Euros TotT, which is an actual accomplishment) — somehow the fact that Pep had considered him as a potential signing only to make a decision not to go for him (and later we’ve seen Pep highlighting Maguire as a potential weak point in United’s back line in City’s documentary) is this get out of jail card for any criticism.

He can play very well — just like he did in the second part of last season. But his career so far is not a career of a top-class CB. Just like you won’t say that Martial is a top forward despite him having a few spells of fantastic form over the years. Consistency is the key and the only consistency that Maguire had been able to sustain up to this point is in his fitness level (which shouldn’t be underestimated), but that doesn’t make you a top CB.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It’s one of the most common arguments for Maguire’s supposed quality that doesn’t really mean anything (unlike his place in the Euros TotT, which is an actual accomplishment) — somehow the fact that Pep had considered him as a potential signing only to make a decision not to go for him (and later we’ve seen Pep highlighting Maguire as a potential weak point in United’s back line in City’s documentary) is this get out of jail card for any criticism.

He can play very well — just like he did in the second part of last season. But his career so far is not a career of a top-class CB. Just like you won’t say that Martial is a top forward despite him having a few spells of fantastic form over the years. Consistency is the key and the only consistency that Maguire had been able to sustain up to this point is in his fitness level (which shouldn’t be underestimated), but that doesn’t make you a top CB.
Great. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I don't care for Maguire anyway and was always slightly sceptical as to the extent of Pep's supposed interest but that point on the documentary was something I was unaware of previously. I do wonder if perhaps City had shown some initial interest but were never going to sign him for the kind of money we ended up paying.

georgipep

No player is consistently performing well if his surrounding environment is shit. I think we have a lot of rot in the team and Maguire may be part of it, I can't really say who is at fault, who is infected and who is still "good".

But I can definitely say that our players have performed worse than in previous season in groups, and I don't think the problem has been consistency

RuudTom83

Could an inform Harry call out Ronaldo or Varane for any sloppy play on the pitch?

Could an out of form Harry call out Ronaldo and Varane?

I think both answers are No! which isn’t a good situation for a captain to find himself in.

SuperiorXI

Could an inform Harry call out Ronaldo or Varane for any sloppy play on the pitch?

Could an out of form Harry call out Ronaldo and Varane?

I think both answers are No! which isn’t a good situation for a captain to find himself in.
He tried to call out Rashford once and got told to feck off live on TV so I very much doubt it.

red4ever 79

One of our worst players this season is having a call to arms speech. Does he even realize he has been one of our worst this season. I am still having nightmares of his performance v Leicester. Sunday league stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.