Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He rushed back from injury to play for England and I think we're seeing the downside of that now. He hasn't looked fully fit to me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dare I say I thought he played slightly better than Varane today?
I thought Varane was pretty flawless today, whereas Maguire had a moment Traore just charged straight past him/

But a strong double act. Very promising.

kundalini

Did ok, which is a vast improvement on his performances in the opening two games. Still had a few moments when his defending wasn't great.

Classical Mechanic

I thought Varane was pretty flawless today, whereas Maguire had a moment Traore just charged straight past him/

But a strong double act. Very promising.
Varane was very good but he did get beaten for the header on Wolves's biggest chance. Overall it looks a promising partnership. They look commanding from set-pieces which was a major issue last season. We now have two centre backs that are good in the air.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I thought there were signs of an exciting partnership with Varane. As hoped they converted each other well. Surely can only get better! At times in that first half I thought Varane and Maguire had to singlehandedly deal with the counter threat!

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Dare I say I thought he played slightly better than Varane today?
It will look that way as the season progresses, and thats because Varane is better than him and so able to cover his weaknesses whilst getting the best out of him.

Maguire will look like our best CB to some, because of Varane.

James Peril

Trincao nutmegged him and could/should have a clean shot on goal, strange nobody is mentioning it above. Very poor defending on that instance, Varane is clearly the better defender today.

kiristao

Had a decent game. He is really weak in 1v1 situations though. Pretty much every game someone just runs past him like he doesn't exist.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
One bad moment. But the same with Varane, he also had one bad moment. Both were equally good imo. Both had nearly perfection defensive performance, that one bad moment prevent the perfection.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Trincao nutmegged him and could/should have a clean shot on goal, strange nobody is mentioning it above. Very poor defending on that instance, Varane is clearly the better defender today.
nutmegs happen to the very best, i would count it as a good piece of of attacking play then calling it very poor defending. Same can be said before Varane got outjumped by their striker before the double chance and DDG wonder save. That was clearly, poor defending. Otherwise they were both very good Varane a bit more in action if you asked me. But oviously Varane will get prais because he's our new signing. We should be lucky to have them both work together very well.

criticalanalysis

It will look that way as the season progresses, and thats because Varane is better than him and so able to cover his weaknesses whilst getting the best out of him.

That's a fair prediction.

I thought he was decent, not great. Much better than previous two games. Not as effective on the ball.

Sylar

Im excited about him and Varane together especially the more they play with each other. A good first outing with a clean sheet for them.

Alemar

But oviously Varane will get prais because he's our new signing.
Varane also claimed an assist, and given we only scored one goal, it was very important :)

That said, clearly Maguire-Varane duo is more balanced than with Victor

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

So it was really Stones in the Euros as to why Maguire looked fecking awesome?

A-man

So it was really Stones in the Euros as to why Maguire looked fecking awesome?
He did awesome himself, but there is no doubt that England’s defensive formation suits him. He was rarely exposed 1v1 or as last man, which really are his weakness. He could do what he is best at, and attack the ball/ player without worrying about the space behind himself. This is however not how United play and he will get exposed from time to time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He did awesome himself, but there is no doubt that England’s defensive formation suits him. He was rarely exposed 1v1 or as last man, which really are his weakness. He could do what he is best at, and attack the ball/ player without worrying about the space behind himself. This is however not how United play and he will get exposed from time to time.
It shouldn't matter if we defend as a team. There was positive signs with Varane reading the situation very well and covering gaps. Varane has pace and experience to cover the space, so Maguire can be more aggressive in winning the duels.

A-man

It shouldn't matter if we defend as a team. There was positive signs with Varane reading the situation very well and covering gaps. Varane has pace and experience to cover the space, so Maguire can be more aggressive in winning the duels.
It works well when someone covers for him, and we have conceded very few goals from situation where he was isolated 1v1. But it means that other CB cannot also push (like Bailly). He must fall back. Last game we played a relatively line and it worked, the difficulties come if we want to play higher up, press more, and try to win back the ball immediately after we’ve lost it. I personally don’t think Maguire in combo with our midfield (who lose possession often, and are often dribbled past) is a perfect match for an even higher line than last season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It works well when someone covers for him, and we have conceded very few goals from situation where he was isolated 1v1. But it means that other CB cannot also push (like Bailly). He must fall back. Last game we played a relatively line and it worked, the difficulties come if we want to play higher up, press more, and try to win back the ball immediately after we’ve lost it. I personally don’t think Maguire in combo with our midfield (who lose possession often, and are often dribbled past) is a perfect match for an even higher line than last season.
Other CB can also push but at that time Maguire should be covering them. That's how it should be.

Not sure about perfect match but Maguire and Varane are easily our best CBs in any tactical set up.

meamth

fecking hell, he's using up his header quota for country
Nah, the time will come for him to score headers for United. This is a sign of dominance and improvement on the set piece.

We are dangerous in the corner this season with Ronnie, Maguire, Cavani, and Varane.

Tony247

At fault for their goal. Unnecessary sliding challenge threw him out of the picture right in the middle. Rookie error from an experienced CB and captain. Bonkers.

But otherwise he was okay.

Idxomer

He hasn't been great this season so far, I would start Lindelof on Tuesday.

Sylar

He hasn't been great this season so far, I would start Lindelof on Tuesday.
He didn't start last season great but then got better and better.
. Given he had an injury and went straight into the England team he does need a rest... Maybe :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Done like a kipper for their goal. Imagine diving in that situation with more than half the pitch behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.