Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lentwood

You’re talking absolute fecking bollocks. Nonsense. Watch that goal again, it’s in the post match thread and tell me that’s what a defender should be doing — getting sucked into midfield, when there’s absolutely no danger. Again you’re talking nonsense. Everything you’ve just said there is a load of bollocks.
I was at the game and I have seen it about ten times.

You're showing a lack of actual footballing nous. I called out your "he should hold the line" comment because that is meaningless. It's the kind of drivel people who don't really understand what they are watching say. It sort of sounds intuitively right, and other people just sort of nod, but it means nothing.

Most teams in the PL play with one CF, including Burnley. When the ball goes into the CF, it is the job of the nearest CB to get tight, not allow them to turn and force them to play the ball backwards (if they cant win it) into the (hopefully) congested midfield area.

What you do not do, is what you are suggesting, and just leave them and "hold the line", because in that scenario, it's the easiest thing in the world for the opposition to just knock the ball into the CF and launch attack after attack. The CF can turn, they can drive at the defence, they can slip passes in, they can get shots away etc...

I repeat, a mistake WAS made by Maguire, that's not disputed, but it's not going in with the CF. The mistake is getting turned, that can't happen. But again, we're talking about an incident that's recoverable or avoidable if others do their jobs properly. How many times did we catch Burnley out? Intercept poor passes? Turn or beat their defenders? Get 3 vs 2 overloads? I counted multiple times, yet we didn't punish Burnley like they punished us for arguably the only mistake we made defensively.

As usual, something which I would say is quite a middling mistake in the grand scheme is blown out of all proportion.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
People are again just looking for reasons to blame Maguire. He steps up on his man to make a tackle. The moment he does that McTominay should be getting goal side, not trying to make a tackle from behind. He should cover Maguire. Instead, Verane has to step over to cover and completely leaves his man free and he scored the goal. This is all caused by McTominay running into Maguire and not getting goal side and Verane leaving his man (did he even look at him?). But everything is once again Maguire's fault. Amazing how a guy from Canada knows more about football than most of you. By the way, De Gea just got player of the month in a month where the only game Maguire played was against West Ham and that was the only game De Gea didn't have to do anything. But go on...tell me again how Maguire is the problem

RedDevilQuebecois

The Mariana Trench has a depth of 36,037 feet. So Harry genuinely deserves a -36,037 rating for today alone.

I'm done with that fecking guy.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I was at the game and I have seen it about ten times.

You're showing a lack of actual footballing nous. I called out your "he should hold the line" comment because that is meaningless. It's the kind of drivel people who don't really understand what they are watching say. It sort of sounds intuitively right, and other people just sort of nod, but it means nothing.

Most teams in the PL play with one CF, including Burnley. When the ball goes into the CF, it is the job of the nearest CB to get tight, not allow them to turn and force them to play the ball backwards (if they cant win it) into the (hopefully) congested midfield area.

What you do not do, is what you are suggesting, and just leave them and "hold the line", because in that scenario, it's the easiest thing in the world for the opposition to just knock the ball into the CF and launch attack after attack. The CF can turn, they can drive at the defence, they can slip passes in, they can get shots away etc...

I repeat, a mistake WAS made by Maguire, that's not disputed, but it's not going in with the CF. The mistake is getting turned, that can't happen. But again, we're talking about an incident that's recoverable or avoidable if others do their jobs properly. How many times did we catch Burnley out? Intercept poor passes? Turn or beat their defenders? Get 3 vs 2 overloads? I counted multiple times, yet we didn't punish Burnley like they punished us for arguably the only mistake we made defensively.

As usual, something which I would say is quite a middling mistake in the grand scheme is blown out of all proportion.
Exactly....McTominay should be getting goal side and covering Maguire and Verane should stay with his man. The mistake happens the moment McTominay goes in and runs into Maguire. Maguire was doing the right thing. Had McTominay read the play right he wouldn't bother with the man and rather cover for his centre half. This way verane doesn't have to leave his man and the entire mess is avoided...

antk

People are again just looking for reasons to blame Maguire. He steps up on his man to make a tackle. The moment he does that McTominay should be getting goal side, not trying to make a tackle from behind. He should cover Maguire. Instead, Verane has to step over to cover and completely leaves his man free and he scored the goal. This is all caused by McTominay running into Maguire and not getting goal side and Verane leaving his man (did he even look at him?). But everything is once again Maguire's fault. Amazing how a guy from Canada knows more about football than most of you. By the way, De Gea just got player of the month in a month where the only game Maguire played was against West Ham and that was the only game De Gea didn't have to do anything. But go on...tell me again how Maguire is the problem
How could Varane do anything else than get between Weghorst and the net? You would have preferred for him to leave a corridor to De Gea in the middle of the box?

Deery

Dreary
How could Varane do anything else than get between Weghorst and the net? You would have preferred for him to leave a corridor to De Gea in the middle of the box?
The guys don’t have a clue what they’re talking about, obviously never heard of jockeying an attacker or pushing them out wide, the simplest tricks a defender has, instead of leaving a massive gap to drive a lorry through in defence. You wouldn’t catch Maldini or Chiellini at that.

Andersonson

Aside from Shaw playing them on, he was next on the list.

He went charging in for a ball he was never going to win, got spun and left them a free run at goal.
So his action is worth 6 Pages of being shat on, while Shaw gets two? Was he that bad the whole game? No

MrBest

On current form, he's behind Jones. How some players still make this team, is beyond me. Cb needed in summer again.

Oranges038

So his action is worth 6 Pages of being shat on, while Shaw gets two? Was he that bad the whole game? No
His mistake is a lot more obvious than Shaw's, if it's just a ball played through and Shaw keeps them all on then he's totally to blame. But what Maguire does is just so wrong.

Aside from that, his stupidity costing Varane a good goal and maybe being lucky to stay on the pitch, he had a good game.

Max_United

He is our captain and the most expensive defender in the history of football. Perhaps not entirely fair as it is not his fault we paid 80m for him and he did not give himself the armband (although he can give it up I guess), but he was always going to be under more scrutiny because of that.

Andersonson

He is our captain and the most expensive defender in the history of football. Perhaps not entirely fair as it is not his fault we paid 80m for him and he did not give himself the armband (although he can give it up I guess), but he was always going to be under more scrutiny because of that.
He's been chosen by two managers now as captain, maybe he's a good leader? Maybe the players want him?

I know the fans wants Bruno or whatever, but thats just fans being erratic and clueless. Fans doesnt get a vote on who the players and managers think are good leaders. It just doesnt make any sense.

Had he been very good? Not at all. But the shit he gets is way over the top. There are many others who are equally at blame. Price that doesnt mean shit. They all start for man united

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He's been chosen by two managers now as captain, maybe he's a good leader? Maybe the players want him?

I know the fans wants Bruno or whatever, but thats just fans being erratic and clueless. Fans doesnt get a vote on who the players and managers think are good leaders. It just doesnt make any sense.

Had he been very good? Not at all. But the shit he gets is way over the top. There are many others who are equally at blame. Price that doesnt mean shit. They all start for man united
There was no way Rangnick would have changed the captain as an interim manager.

NoPace

If he starts against Atletico with their million 2nd strikers and Lemar and De Paul running ahead I'll have a heart attack

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pound for pound looking like the worst signing in our history.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If I never see him play for us ever again, I will be very happy. Feck whoever spent 90M on him. Phil Jones is an improvement on Maguire. Captain my ass, he shouldnt be playing for us at all

chiz2kul

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tarrou

I find it incredible that people are trying to say he wasn't at fault for the goal

he doesn't need to commit to a challenge there, by doing so he created the danger because if he then gets beat everything opens up

Tarrou

even your own description of what happened shows the obvious mistake

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The fact you're from Canada means nothing ffs :lol:

SaboTaj

Can’t wait for him to be flogged off. How can you be making such schoolboy errors so regularly!?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Nobody cares about your defend-Magure-at-all-costs shtick. Find new material.

OT1214

He must be holding some kind of record for taking out one of his teammates and ending up conceding a goal.

hobbers

The way he overcommits himself with those lunges time after time after time, and ends up stranded looking like a comical useless lump.

It's like he outgrew his nerves and they stop short around his ankles.

TheRoyble

Supports
Spurs
Really? I love all member of my family. It's very concerning if you have someone you are forced to love in your family. Must be your step sibling or step parent.
Maybe you're the one everyone is forced to like.

red4ever 79

Love him. Every time he fecks up, he comes out with 'we' No YOU Harry You are garbage. Easily our 4th best CB, but because Woody thought it would be a good idea to spend 80M..... 80 fecking million on you, we are stuck.

Get Lindelof back in the team next to Varane

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The decision to make him captain when he had barely kicked a ball for us has to be Ole's worst here.

Marwood

He's can't do anything right at the moment. Just having a run where he's getting punished for nearly every mistake and it's battered his confidence. Causing more mistakes.

red4ever 79

Ralf needs to start making tough calls now and replace him with Lindelof for the remainder of the season. Imagine Harry in the Champions league.

Status
Not open for further replies.