Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

Worst United starting CB since Silvestre?
Silvestre had won the lot with us, granted it was mostly as a squad player but I remember he was decent with Rio and Wes at the back for periods. Unlike Maguire he had plenty of pace too.

Maguire has just been a disaster for us all round, his price and the stupidity to give him the captaincy has just exacerbated this calamity.

Rojofiam

So has he or has he not beenawful this year?
Yes, he has been, but so has almost everyone else. I'm not making excuses for him, though. My problem is people rewriting history saying that he's always been atrocious which is so far from reality that it's laughable. When van Dijk was out injured for a long time there weren't many defenders in the Premier League that were better than him, if any. Yeah, I don't care how ridiculous that sounds to you in April 2022 but my opinion is not formed by 15 year old twats sharing their brain damaged takes on Twitter.

Everyone is just singling him out because of his pricetag, appearance and the fact that he's our captain (which he shouldn't have been appointed as).

Kaushal

I’m as upset and angry as anyone else. However, right now I’m feeling abit sorry for him. The guy has become a walking meme. He is trying to give his all but he is just not good enough. So I don’t share the same anger towards him like some of the other players who aren’t bothered to even try and don’t give a shit. I don’t think he isn’t trying. He is but he is out of his depth. Neither he chose to be the captain nor he picks himself so I don’t understand the same vitriol towards him.

I watched his interview and you can clearly see he is petrified. He is exposed brutally and that’s taking it’s toll on his performances even more. I know he’s made some stupid mistakes like cupping his ears against Albania and that’s his fault. But I don’t believe he doesn’t give a feck. He clearly wants to succeed but he just doesn’t have mental fortitude or the talent so he is trying to protect himself right now.

I’m more angry at Ole and the club to be honest. Maguire didn’t decide his price tag. He didn’t decide to be the captain. Ole and the club did. Making him the captain was his biggest mistake. Ole put him and us in this position, that’s not his fault. He wasn’t good enough before and amidst all these terrible performances and scrutiny given his price tag and being a captain has completely broken him. He has become a laughing stock and I don’t think he can come back from this so I just hope we cut our cords with him in the summer and we both can move on from this nightmare.

Marwood

They are doing feck all.

But there's no way Maguire should be running in there. He doesn't even go all the way in, he runs half way, realised he made a balls up and tried to run back.

Again, he does this so often, it's not like it was a one off and he still hasn't learned to just hold his fecking line. Nope, run out, get bypassed with a simple ball and he's out of the game 40 yards from his goal.
If he holds they've got a four on three. Maybe not as bad but still very bad.

The bigger picture is a CB shouldn't be put in that position. If we keep doing stuff like that it doesn't matter who is back there.

The midfielders, who you rightly said were doing feck all, are to blame there.

Dansk

He was good in his first season here, then very-very good in his 2nd and the EUROs...when you're a constant scapegoat even 1 bad game is enough for people to come at you, let alone a whole bad season. People are just so pathetic. The noise will die down after we get going under ten Hag and everyone is performing well, including Maguire. That will last until he makes 1 single mistake resulting in a goal when everyone will again act like he's been bad all these years. :lol:
I agree that he wasn't bad in the past, but it has to be said that if you can be incredibly bad for an entire season, it's a really worrying sign. Doubly so for a captain. There will always be that shadow of doubt over him now. The gigantic blunders he has made on the pitch all season show that he has those mistakes in him, and I'm not just talking about wonky runs in the wrong direction--I'm talking own goals, tackling teammates, stuff like that. He has been downright harmful to his own team all season, and while nobody thinks he's doing it on purpose, he has shown that he's capable not only of poor performances but also total calamity. That's really hard to bounce back from as captain. People will always be wondering if something like that will start happening again, even if he should recover his form again in the future. Plenty of players have turned things around after a bad season, but this has been so inexplicably horrendous that it'll follow him for quite a while.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Has worse one v one tackling stats than Varane, Lindelof and Bailly via SmarterScout and The Athletic.

Maguire: 43
Varane: 58
Lindelof: 74
Bailly: 70

A long way off for Maguire, shows his ability as a one v one defender that he's the worst in the squad. He's better at open headers and set piece headers but who really plays with an incredible aerial striker?

Useless player and no wonder our scouts have been released.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So this doofus actually retweeted this after the Norwich game.

In a home game where we barely beat an obvious relegation side, he felt the need to highlight that he hit a couple of long passes. Jesus wept.
I thought this was a wind up but it's there pinned on his Twitter page.

I'm gonna put this up again:

The guy also said stopping Liverpool from getting the quad did not even come into his thinking before the game. Then he sends out Fernandes to do the post match.

The guy's deluded and clearly believes he is not the problem. The fecker has to go. No way should be captain a second longer. That is what's boiling my piss the most.

Mike Smalling

The guy also said stopping Liverpool from getting the quad did not even come into his thinking before the game. Then he sends out Fernandes to do the post match.

The guy's deluded and clearly believes he is not the problem. The fecker has to go. No way should be captain a second longer. That is what's boiling my piss the most.
It's unreal. He's such a fecking joker.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

"We understand that the performances have not been good enough most of the season, and I especially take responsibility for my own form that have not been up to the level I expect of myself" "We are beyond grateful to the matchgoing fans who support us through the many lows and wow to do everything we can to get back to where we need to be"

Say that Harry. Not whatever the hell you just said.

Smithy89

Blame deflector, never scans the pitch, never checks his shoulder and turns like a planet.

Oranges038

If he holds they've got a four on three. Maybe not as bad but still very bad.

The bigger picture is a CB shouldn't be put in that position. If we keep doing stuff like that it doesn't matter who is back there.

The midfielders, who you rightly said were doing feck all, are to blame there.
He hasn't got the anticipation or the pace to get to that ball in midfield before it gets bounced back and goes around him. It happens way too often.

He's supposed to be the captain and the leader of the defence out there on the pitch. He should be controlling all those players around him and in front of him and making sure the are keeping in line. Yet, he's the one who makes mistake after mistake based on his own poor judgement. Look at how Robertson got onto VVD when he felt he was being too casual early in the second half. Klopp was seething as well, that's what you want out there, give each other a kick up the hole and keep it all in check.

Maguire can't do any of that. If I remember correctly I think Rashford or Shaw even told him to F off one day after he had a go. He just accepted it, he has absolutely no authority or command of his back line at all.

Irwin99

So this doofus actually retweeted this after the Norwich game.

In a home game where we barely beat an obvious relegation side, he felt the need to highlight that he hit a couple of long passes. Jesus wept.
Famous Jose quote

"You can tell me his pass is amazing but my pass is amazing too without pressure"

Irwin99

He's perfectly entitled to defend himself and i think some of the criticism is way overboard but that video he retweeted is not helping. A few passes pinged under no pressure on the video compared to many mistakes and a hospital pass to young Hannibal last night ...fecking idiotic :houllier:

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Someone compared him to David Luiz and I find that interesting. Are there any United fans that would rather have a peak David Luiz over a Peak Maguire?

el3mel

Someone compared him to David Luiz and I find that interesting. Are there any United fans that would rather have a peak David Luiz over a Peak Maguire?
David Luiz was a clown but he always had great matches and moments in him. Maguire is a clown and that's it.

Mike Smalling

David Luiz was also a terrible defender, but if I remember correctly he had better pace and much better technical ability. Also, he would sometimes smash in a free-kick.

Foxbatt

If he was a captain of a ship I'm pretty sure the passengers would think they're about to die when its raining. Man can walk into a sunflower field and kills every flowers within 50km radius. Him and Rashford should start an emo band.
If he was a captain of a ship, the passengers would probably have abandoned the ship already. :lol::lol::lol:

Foxbatt

The first goal is a perfect example of what we do. Put a CB in an almost impossible position and then blame him. If a CB has to stop Mané in his own half to prevent a goal something has gone badly wrong elsewhere.

Matic and or Pogba should be taking care of Mané there. No team wants there CB that high away at Liverpool 6 mins into a game.

Equally the third. No CB can perfectly track Mané when he's moving off the ball like that. You'd have to be a mind reader to stay tight to him.

But the last goal. Absolutely shocking from him. I'd drop him for that.
But it is of Maguire's own making to be in that impossible situation. He is not supposed to go in there. That is not his business to get sucked into that space in the middle. We were not supposed to play that line. The plan was to sit deep and let them have the ball in the middle. So he should never gone into that space.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
But it is of Maguire's own making to be in that impossible situation. He is not supposed to go in there. That is not his business to get sucked into that space in the middle. We were not supposed to play that line. The plan was to sit deep and let them have the ball in the middle. So he should never gone into that space.
You’re both right, but it also speaks to the wider issue of there being no plan. Neither Maguire or the midfield knew what to do in that situation. It’s a total shitshow.

Maguire would benefit from a decent midfield in front of him, but so would any other centre back on earth. It doesn’t make him good enough for us, but he certainly isn’t being helped.

CatpissMartini

Look at all 4 goals, he is literally ball watching instead of getting his body in the correct position to see the play develop, I can promise you, this flaw will occur in the Arsenal game because they have players running in the channels constantly, watch us concede.

Foxbatt

He hasn't got the anticipation or the pace to get to that ball in midfield before it gets bounced back and goes around him. It happens way too often.

He's supposed to be the captain and the leader of the defence out there on the pitch. He should be controlling all those players around him and in front of him and making sure the are keeping in line. Yet, he's the one who makes mistake after mistake based on his own poor judgement. Look at how Robertson got onto VVD when he felt he was being too casual early in the second half. Klopp was seething as well, that's what you want out there, give each other a kick up the hole and keep it all in check.

Maguire can't do any of that. If I remember correctly I think Rashford or Shaw even told him to F off one day after he had a go. He just accepted it, he has absolutely no authority or command of his back line at all.
It was Rashford. He called him a knobhead. Maguire should have decked him with one punch.

Foxbatt

You’re both right, but it also speaks to the wider issue of there being no plan. Neither Maguire or the midfield knew what to do in that situation. It’s a total shitshow.

Maguire would benefit from a decent midfield in front of him, but so would any other centre back on earth. It doesn’t make him good enough for us, but he certainly isn’t being helped.
No he is not. But the plan was to sit deep as Ralf had said in his post match and Maguire has no business going in there. Yes the midfield was terrible too but we are talking almost at the half way line and what on earth was he doing there? I agree with you that he is a better defender than what he is showing now but as captain he should be the one leading the way and not making mistake after mistake.
The biggest mistake was Ole making him the Captain.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
David Luiz was much better than Maguire. Yes they both had several clown moments, but Luiz actually had many spectacular games.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He was good in his first season here, then very-very good in his 2nd and the EUROs...when you're a constant scapegoat even 1 bad game is enough for people to come at you, let alone a whole bad season. People are just so pathetic. The noise will die down after we get going under ten Hag and everyone is performing well, including Maguire. That will last until he makes 1 single mistake resulting in a goal when everyone will again act like he's been bad all these years. :lol:
Mate you need your eyes checked

Valencia Shin Crosses

David Luiz was much better than Maguire. Yes they both had several clown moments, but Luiz actually had many spectacular games.
Yeah Luiz had way more to his game, he was just a lunatic and not great positionally. I'd compare Luiz more to Eric Bailly if Bailly could actually stay fit for more than a game. Athletic, hard nosed defenders with bags of confidence that at their best could be brilliant but at their worst could completely look like amateurs positionally.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
That's where I find myself tbh. Luiz had many notable clown moments, and when he had a bad game it was usually a disasterclass type of performance. Alternatively, it was his sound technical footballing ability coupled with his exuberance and reckless abandon that made his excellent games just as notable.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I do feel bad for him but that has to be one of the stupidest comments made by a United for as long as I can remember. Does he not realise how awful he and the team have been and how low the fans think of them?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair I compared him to the really bad parts of David Luiz... He's basically the Luiz that played for Brazil in that 7-1 hammering by Germany... But all the bloody time.

Luiz obviously had incredible parts to his game that Maguire comes nowhere near.

Oranges038

It was Rashford. He called him a knobhead. Maguire should have decked him with one punch.
Found it, yeah he should have knocked it out of him there and then.

Just don't see how is he supposed to be captain and leader on the field, when in that one moment you can see clear as day his own team mates don't even respect him.

Add in all his individual brain farts and nobody is going to listen to him out there. There's very few people who would listen to a co-worker trying to tell them what to do, when they themselves make so many stupid mistakes.

Ruud89

Where are the Maguire defenders now?

Goldbridge's assessment of Maguire is spot on. He is shit and the worst United captain in history.

Maguire just feck off already

Anustart89

It's painfully obvious that we as a team can't compensate for Maguire's little excursions away from the defensive line. Even if one thinks that stepping out always is the individual right choice (which it clearly isn't), how many times do we need to concede goals from it for it to become the wrong choice for this team?

Do those that still defend Maguire's decision making think that his desire to play his preferred way is more important than the team not conceding goals? Or how can you still defend it when it so obviously leads to teams scoring against us from areas that are vacated by captain Donkey?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Worst United starting CB since Silvestre?
The strange thing about Silvestre is that he was actually brilliant at centre back for the first half of 02/03. If I remember correctly I'm pretty sure most people here on RedCafe thought that he'd been our player of the season so far and probably second only to Henry in the league. I still remember one moment against Newcastle (I think?) where they somehow got a 3v1 against him with an entire half to play and he somehow managed to take them all out one by one. It's always remained one of my favourite ever defensive memories and I wish we had all the youtube highights that we have now so I could watch it again.

Unfortunately he completely fell apart the instant Rio got his ban, and he never got close to that level again.

Not sure why that's relevant in a Harry Maguire thread, but you mentioning Micky just reminded me of that. :lol:

MadDogg

He was inconsistent in his first season. Some very good, some good, some average, some bad, some very bad. An absolutely textbook example of inconsistency.

Second season he started absolutely terribly, just as bad as he's been this season. Thankfully it only lasted for about two months that time though, and he followed that up with another 2-3 months of being fairly inconsistent. However he was very good in the second half of that season, and took that form into the Euro's as well. At that time we all hoped that he'd stepped up and become the defender that we'd all been hoping he could. It had taken him 18 months to take that step up, but at least he'd gotten there...

Then of course we've all seen how he's played this season, where he was dreadful for the first half of the season and back to inconsistent and average (at best) in the second half.

I've quite liked Maguire since he was at Hull, and although we obviously overpaid I was hopeful of him when we did sign him (although I did think we would have to have the right partner). But he's been here three seasons now and he's only been consistently good for half of a season. It's simply not good enough.

Last edited:

MadDogg

I'm tempted to say Maguire's second half of last season was better than Luiz ever played in a two man central defence, but that might just be because I didn't watch Luiz play enough. My impression is that he was generally great with three at the back, but was always shaky in a normal back four. Would you agree?

However, that half a season is the only time Maguire's got close to that level, so outside of that period I'd probably take even a shaky Luiz as his upside was better.

MyBloodIsRed

Absolute bellend. Needs to rot on the bench until we find a suitor. Was NEVER captain material. One of the worst moves by Ole.

I hope we get rid of Bailly and Jones bring in a CB and then we have Varane (if he can stay fit) and Lindelof.

I can't stand looking at Harry anymore..

Guapa

He'll end up at any other club and regain some form.He's the classic case of not handling the pressure at Manchester United.Never captain material by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.