Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Posh Red

I think he gets some unfair stick on here, his first season he was great and improved us at the back drastically, he was a rock and showed fire. Even his 2nd season he was pretty good. People have last season stuck in their minds to much tbh, he was awful but so was everyone, if he can get back to his 1st season levels then i think he'll be useful for us...
The main issue I have with Maguire is his slow build up play. Even at his best this was a feature of his game. He is too ponderous and takes too many touches.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I think he gets some unfair stick on here, his first season he was great and improved us at the back drastically, he was a rock and showed fire. Even his 2nd season he was pretty good. People have last season stuck in their minds to much tbh, he was awful but so was everyone, if he can get back to his 1st season levels then i think he'll be useful for us...
Yeah because Ole played a deep slow back line with mcfred anchored in front of them. We dont want to play that type rubbish football anymore thank god. That's why we got ETH.

Trequartistry

Yeah because Ole played a deep slow back line with mcfred anchored in front of them. We dont want to play that type rubbish football anymore thank god. That's why we got ETH.
Yep definitely not like we were really deep and just soaking up pressure today!

Hal9000

The main issue I have with Maguire is his slow build up play. Even at his best this was a feature of his game. He is too ponderous and takes too many touches.
Again, i think his game regressed, as his first season he was pretty solid, won the ball and i think he had very good passing assists and stats for passes that built attacks. We also used to see him make some solid charges with the ball at his feet, which we don't see anymore...

He was awful last season, but so was everyone... again if he discovers his form, then he will be useful.

JeffFromHK

This is his habit formed from years as a CB battling relegation. Hoarding the ball helps his team to keep valuable possession and buy time to steal a 0-0 draw.

As I have said many times, Maguire is still a lowtable team mindseted player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll play his games where he rotates in with Lindelof, but I think it's already sett in stone. If Varane is fit, he is obviously always going to start ahead of Maguire as he should. And Martinez is our best ball playing center back and is left footed. Maguire is now clearly 3rd choice.

Red-17

Embarrassing the amount of comments in this thread. Anyone who thinks he is not going to be a key player in our squad for the rest of the season is naive. How many matches did Lindelof play last season? There will be injuries, and having a deep squad with Europa league is crucial. Unless anyone has suggestions on who can come in to replace him in the next week, then thinking we should sell him at this stage is simply ridiculous.

SAFMUTD

I think he just lost his starting place. I feel bad for him, he's was a solid/regular defender and the price tag demanded he was a worldclass defender. He's obviously not, and the preassure along with the captaincy was too much for him to take.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a decent backup / rotational defender to have. The problem with Maguire is that he's mentally broken and isn't well suited to a high line. So logically you want another defender in the Varane mold and to sell Maguire but I don't see that happening

An in form Maguire is still a pretty good CB but he's been all over the place for ages.

AFC NimbleThumb

you claim he gets unfair stick then use the term great about him.

He has never been great for us, has he played better than he did last term yes but he’s never been without fault in the odd game here or there to a point you should coin him great.

The everyone was bad last season argument is one of the most damning defences for a player I’ve come across. It might be true but it doesn’t negate the fact he was the worst of the lot on many an occasion.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think he just lost his starting place. I feel bad for him, he's was a solid/regular defender and the price tag demanded he was a worldclass defender. He's obviously not, and the preassure along with the captaincy was too much for him to take.
I find it hard to feel bad for him considering he's been paid big money to constantly be failing at his job.

Just get the feeling that with our luck, Varane or Martinez gets a long term injury and we'll be seeing him adjusting his hair while looking absolutely terrified as we concede a goal.

SAFMUTD

I find it hard to feel bad for him considering he's been paid big money to constantly be failing at his job.

Just get the feeling that with our luck, Varane or Martinez gets a long term injury and we'll be seeing him adjusting his hair while looking absolutely terrified as we concede a goal.
That's one great to jinx it, thanks.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He won't want to sit on the bench with the world cup coming up. He'll be pushing for a move
He'd be much better in a back three.

I think he was a good defender but he's been broken mentally over the last year and doesn't fit well with a high line-back 4 combination.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He won't want to sit on the bench with the world cup coming up. He'll be pushing for a move
If he doesn't want his games to be managed then he can feck to shit for all i care, he's cost us more than delivered anyways since he's been here.

ForeverRed1

If we sell him we will need another cb as varane is injury prone. Bailley is off and also injury prone. Someone like pau Torres would do the trick.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Don't be too harsh on criticisms against him or he'll kick your head in.

Anyway, silent domination.

Zen86

Shame. He was a good defender when he arrived, but has completely crumbled under the pressure and constant spotlight. He probably needs to move on to reignite his form again.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Embarrassing the amount of comments in this thread. Anyone who thinks he is not going to be a key player in our squad for the rest of the season is naive. How many matches did Lindelof play last season? There will be injuries, and having a deep squad with Europa league is crucial. Unless anyone has suggestions on who can come in to replace him in the next week, then thinking we should sell him at this stage is simply ridiculous.
If we'd sell him, we'd obviously keep Bailly.

Kostov

Why is this thread active? Some of you can't help but talk about this guy. Thank feck McT played well or otherwise the party would be there.

Classical Mechanic

The first half is obviously how ETH want us to play. Maguire can't play in that kind of setup.
What do you mean in the first half?

I think we had only 25% possession by half time. No side played with a deeper defensive line than Manchester United this weekend. Only Wolves were as close to United in playing as deep - 35mtr average to Wolves's 36mtr. Even West Ham's line was at 39.2mtrs. Our average goal kick length was 63.9mtrs to Liverpool's 23.9mtrs. We made only three 10+ passing sequences in the whole game to Liverpool's 25! We basically played peak Oleball last night. I have no issue with playing pragmatically especially given how poor we were in the first two games but to credit this victory to the absence of Maguire is boneheaded. We played exactly the kind of system that suits him and that led us to 2nd place in the Premier league with him playing every game.

That said, Maguire will lose his place now for the forseeable so will have win it back if he's to get back in contention.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He just isn’t a Man United player and never has been. He’s a born loser.
It has gone a little too far. And I say that as somebody who really dislikes him. It’s not his fault he isn’t up to it. Should’ve been taken out of the firing line a long time ago. He didn’t help himself with that stupid celebration he did when he scored for England last season though,
:lol:

Lyng

What do you mean in the first half?

I think we had only 25% possession by half time. No side played with a deeper defensive line than Manchester United this weekend. Only Wolves were as close to United in playing as deep - 35mtr average to Wolves's 36mtr. Even West Ham's line was at 39.2mtrs. Our average goal kick length was 63.9mtrs to Liverpool's 23.9mtrs. We made only three 10+ passing sequences in the whole game to Liverpool's 25! We basically played peak Oleball last night. I have no issue with playing pragmatically especially given how poor we were in the first two games but to credit this victory to the absence of Maguire is boneheaded. We played exactly the kind of system that suits him and that led us to 2nd place in the Premier league with him playing every game.

That said, Maguire will lose his place now for the forseeable so will have win it back if he's to get back in contention.
A lot of us said we would look a lot better without Maguire and Shaw. And we did. Noone can argue that we looked a different team defensively without them.
Nothing naive about it. If they had played we had lost the game.

Classical Mechanic

A lot of us said we would look a lot better without Maguire and Shaw. And we did. Noone can argue that we looked a different team defensively without them.
Nothing naive about it. If they had played we had lost the game.
You do realise that we beat Man City a number of times under Ole playing exactly the same way with those players in the side and finished second in the league? Maybe if we'd have played like Ten Hag's Ajax then I'd agree that you'd have a point. The fact is that we reverted to the tactics of Ole which favours the defensive players. I'd say that under Ole we actually tried to play out from the back more than we did last night. DDG kicked long nearly all the time as we gave up trying to break the press.

Lyng

You do realise that we beat Man City a number of times under Ole playing exactly the same way with those players in the side and finished second in the league? Maybe if we'd have played like Ten Hag's Ajax then I'd agree that you'd have a point. The fact is that we reverted to the tactics of Ole which favours the defensive players. I'd say that under Ole we actually tried to play out from the back more than we did last night. DDG kicked long nearly all the time as we gave up trying to break the press.
If you look at the heatmap we actually pressed Liverpool higher for a large part of the game, at least until the players got tired. It was not Ten Hag ball but it was definately different from the deep line under Ole.
Also the cooperation between Dalot - Varane -Martinez- Malacia was much better than what we have seen for a long time.

Classical Mechanic

If you look at the heatmap we actually pressed Liverpool higher for a large part of the game, at least until the players got tired. It was not Ten Hag ball but it was definately different from the deep line under Ole.
Also the cooperation between Dalot - Varane -Martinez- Malacia was much better than what we have seen for a long time.
I'll give you that our high press was better than it ever was under Ole but that was the only key difference. The defenders were closer together because they were in a low block for the most part so communication is easier. Each defender has less space to mark and aren't as vulnerable to getting turned. It is how we played under Ole in big games and Maguire put in many good performances in that system. We actually finished 2nd in the league and made the Europa League final. Those are simple facts.

I'm not interested in getting into a deep argument about this as I don't want to get sucked into hating or defending individual players over supporting the team in general. If you really think that we would've lost last night with Maguire in the team then fine as it can't be conclusively proven one way or the other. My point is that if you consider the system we played last night along with his historical performances in that type of system then it's an opinion on shaky ground, at least.

A-man

Those are my thoughts from yesterday as well. It was a great game compared to our first two, but in terms of progress it was more similar to Ole’s best wins, than with how I expect that ETH wants us to play.
I still think we benefited from plying Varane instead of Maguire as he had a great game, plus he is faster with the ball. However that is just speculations as the whole team looked better and maybe Maguire would have been good too.

GoldanoGraham

Think a break and the untouchable myth being broken for him will do him the world of good. He’s looked shit to pieces in recent months so a chance to reset will be good.

El Presidente

He absolutely should be sold, since he is easily replacable. He doesn't fit the system, can't play a high line, can't build from the back.
But the biggest incentive of them all - it saves you the headache of your captain being clearly a bench player. What leadership and authority would that give you?

Roux

Why is this thread active? Some of you can't help but talk about this guy. Thank feck McT played well or otherwise the party would be there.
People have every right to talk about him - he's our captain and dropping him was a huge call from EtH.
This call should have been made a year ago - remove captaincy and move him on. The team are far better without him, not good enough.

Lyng

I'll give you that our high press was better than it ever was under Ole but that was the only key difference. The defenders were closer together because they were in a low block for the most part so communication is easier. Each defender has less space to mark and aren't as vulnerable to getting turned. It is how we played under Ole in big games and Maguire put in many good performances in that system. We actually finished 2nd in the league and made the Europa League final. Those are simple facts.

I'm not interested in getting into a deep argument about this as I don't want to get sucked into hating or defending individual players over supporting the team in general. If you really think that we would've lost last night with Maguire in the team then fine as it can't be conclusively proven one way or the other. My point is that if you consider the system we played last night along with his historical performances in that type of system then it's an opinion on shaky ground, at least.
Again the 2nd place was a very different style. On top of that there was a fire in the eyes of Martinez, Varane and Malacia. Something I havent seen from Maguire or Shaw in a long while.
I dont hate Maguire and I am not one of those who says he isnt a quality premier league defender. But just not in our system. In a Conte system, for example, I think he would be very good.

Doesn’t matter if people like/rate him or not, the only thing that matters is that Martinez is clearly the managers handpicked first choice, and that puts him in direct competition with Lindelöf and Varane.
I think Maguire is much better than he’s given credit for, but in no world is he at Varane’s level, that’s the harsh reality of his situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.