Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

I don't know what happened to him psychologically but my impression is that he was not the same player after getting arrested in Greece.

clarkydaz

I don't know what happened to him psychologically but my impression is that he was not the same player after getting arrested in Greece.
i was suprised at the time but many united fans wernt really defending him, i thought that was unusal for a club captain under fire

mshnsh

When whoever gave him and alot of other mediocre players these long contracts, they were drunk. We are unfortunately stuck with a very useless and deluded footballer because no one is going to buy him and he obvious won't leave because of the undeserved fat paycheque he gets.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He was always the same player. What changed was Ole's gameplan. As soon as we stopped playing defensive counter attacking football he got completely exposed.

manutddjw

I don’t know how much more clear the manager can make it that he doesn’t want him here. When we lost Martinez and Varane, after a few chances he preferred putting Shaw, a left back, instead of him.

He’ll stay and see out his large contract before moving on for free. I can see him leaving on loan in January though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
i was suprised at the time but many united fans wernt really defending him, i thought that was unusal for a club captain under fire
As I recall it, I think a lot thought it was a stitch up and he'd been targeted deliberately, it seemed very iffy at the time but who knows, I'm certainly no wiser

Marcus

He was always the same player. What changed was Ole's gameplan. As soon as we stopped playing defensive counter attacking football he got completely exposed.
Ah ok. I did make the same point about him doing well in a counter-attacking team earlier in the thread but I thought it was something else which cracked him mentally and shattered his confidence which made it worse. I really was impressed with how he played out from the back even at his Hull City days. I suppose again that style for play was more counter-attacking and suited to his skill sets.

lex talionis

He was decent under Mourhino and Ole because Utd played a counter attacking game. This meant he was playing on the edge of his box and had a lot of players around him. That was his strengths. Now ETH has changed the way he wants UTD to play, meaning he wants his defenders to push up to the half way line. This exposes him badly. He has lost confidence big time as well.
I agree that our tactics under ETH don’t suit Harry, but is it not true that he fell apart before ETH arrived?

Mmm-Qatarian

Honestly, I just hope wherever he goes he manages to find some form again and doesn't continue to face the kind of abuse he's had over the past few seasons.

I'd be entirely unsurprised if it were to emerge that the dog's abuse he's faced over the past few seasons has taken a serious toll on his mental well-being. It definitely reflects the more nasty side of football fandom.

Real_Knut

Maguire performed really well against Fulham for large portions of the game, I felt. However, he gave away that corner they scored from a bit needlessly (no big mistake) and he had that terrible pass which lead to the penalty. For the rest of the game, he actually contributed well to winning the ball back and clearing our box.

The problem is, he needs to play in a low block. When the season started after the incident in Greece, the team tried to play higher up the field and showed they could not do it. Maguire was probably the one least suited to it, and Ole went back to the tactics from the season before. Also, his passing is too slow and at times he passes his team mates into bad situations when we try to play out from the back.

I hear we may have to pay him £10M to leave because his next employer will not be able to pay his wages. I really hope we decide to do that and that he can find a new club. Also, I hope the piss-takes and venom he is subjected to will stop - he does not deserve it.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He was decent under Mourhino and Ole because Utd played a counter attacking game. This meant he was playing on the edge of his box and had a lot of players around him. That was his strengths. Now ETH has changed the way he wants UTD to play, meaning he wants his defenders to push up to the half way line. This exposes him badly. He has lost confidence big time as well.
What? Ole bought him :D

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire performed really well against Fulham for large portions of the game, I felt. However, he gave away that corner they scored from a bit needlessly (no big mistake) and he had that terrible pass which lead to the penalty. For the rest of the game, he actually contributed well to winning the ball back and clearing our box.

The problem is, he needs to play in a low block. When the season started after the incident in Greece, the team tried to play higher up the field and showed they could not do it. Maguire was probably the one least suited to it, and Ole went back to the tactics from the season before. Also, his passing is too slow and at times he passes his team mates into bad situations when we try to play out from the back.

I hear we may have to pay him £10M to leave because his next employer will not be able to pay his wages. I really hope we decide to do that and that he can find a new club. Also, I hope the piss-takes and venom he is subjected to will stop - he does not deserve it.
Hold on a sec? He "gave away a corner?" What did you expect him to do? Head it forward? He didn't give that corner away. De Gea should have been off his line to claim it but instead he stood on his line and left Maguire with no choice but to head it out

I also think that the biggest difference now is that we actually have a proper DM playing in front of the back 4 instead of McFred trying to do a job as 2 #6's when they are both clearly #8's. Even at the beginning of the season when Maguire was starting, Cassemiro hadn't been introduced to the starting 11 yet. By the time he was, Maguire was out. But since the world cup, Maguire has been a good squad player and has filled in nicely when the starters need a rest or were injured

Real_Knut

Hold on a sec? He "gave away a corner?" What did you expect him to do? Head it forward? He didn't give that corner away. De Gea should have been off his line to claim it but instead he stood on his line and left Maguire with no choice but to head it out
As I wrote, it's not a big thing. A more agile defender may have been able to clear it in a different direction though. My post actually says that Maguire had a good game and the only big mistake was his misplaced pass which led to the Fulham counter attack where they got the penalty.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
As I wrote, it's not a big thing. A more agile defender may have been able to clear it in a different direction though. My post actually says that Maguire had a good game and the only big mistake was his misplaced pass which led to the Fulham counter attack where they got the penalty.
No disagreement about the bad pass. But can you imagine if that was Maguire who stepped in and tripped the Fulham player? TheCaf would go into meltdown

Real_Knut

No disagreement about the bad pass. But can you imagine if that was Maguire who stepped in and tripped the Fulham player? TheCaf would go into meltdown
I know. We're all guilty of putting more weight on incidents that confirm our preconceptions rather than those which do not, I guess. Even if some do it more than others :angel:

Ole'sgunnarwin

Not at all. He became a squad player for a reason. So I used his time as a squad player. And as a squad player he has done a good job. That hasn't stopped people from going in on him every time he's played. But as I PROVED, the team has done well almost every time he has been asked to play AS A SQUAD PLAYER!.
Well the club are about to pay him 10 million to leave the club. I think that's proof he's not worth keeping a squad player.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Sevilla should also extend Maguire a Europa League winners medal, this wouldn’t have happened without him.

SAF is the GOAT

Jesus Christ, we didn't had 10m to sign a striker in January but we have it to pay to Maguire

Mmm-Qatarian

Guys, the article you're all referring to states that we'd be paying him the £10 million IF he is sold. It's also written by Chris Wheeler, who is quite a dubious source.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ire-10MILLION-leaves-Old-Trafford-summer.html

The headline is (typically) misleading but from the first paragraph:

"Harry Maguire is in line for a £10million pay-off from Manchester United if he leaves Old Trafford this summer."

Eplel

Guys, the article you're all referring to states that we'd be paying him the £10 million IF he is sold. It's also written by Chris Wheeler, who is quite a dubious source.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ire-10MILLION-leaves-Old-Trafford-summer.html

The headline is (typically) misleading but from the first paragraph:

"Harry Maguire is in line for a £10million pay-off from Manchester United if he leaves Old Trafford this summer."

They should be paying me to watch him play.

Mmm-Qatarian

It's just a weird way of saying we will subsidise his wages, happens a lot when players downwards.
Yeah, it's an article to get people to freak out. As you say, this is quite common among big clubs wanting to ship out deadwood. This is especially true when your wage structure has been as fecking daft as ours.

glasgow 21

So they can buy him and he will obviously be a on a lower contract as he won't be playing for Manchester united anymore. What's the big deal.
Exactly, at what stage are clubs going to say enough is enough you can't work at McDonalds and get The Ritz wages just because you were employed there once.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Exactly, at what stage are clubs going to say enough is enough you can't work at McDonalds and get The Ritz wages just because you were employed there once.
Well if you sign a legally binding contract to pay XX amount for XX amount of time then you are legally bound to honour it

lex talionis

The way I read the situation is that United will still want a transfer fee but that we're willing to pay part of his wages, which can be structured in different ways, to facilitate the transfer. I don't think what's being suggested is that we'll write a check for 10m to Harry and then he can walk into a club which is willing to take him on a free transfer, although that is one possible outcome.

Kaos

So they can buy him and he will obviously be a on a lower contract as he won't be playing for Manchester united anymore. What's the big deal.
The problem is he might prefer being a Manchester United player on £200k a week than say a West Ham player on half of that.

Only way I can see him considering taking paycut and lesser prestige of playing for a not so big club is if he's worried about his England career.

RopersReturn

It’s quite conceivable he could end up doing what Joey Barton did, and opt to play in France next season. Assuming money isn’t as important to him, in preference to the lifestyle and relatively low key media attention for him and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.