g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
We got lucky when the rain came down, just check out Brendan McMillans comments regarding that. Hope we play the Aussies in the final for the simple reason so many of the India fans on here come across as complete cnuts.
:lol:

sport2793

This is the fourth semi for SA actually. They weren't an ICC member in apartheid days, so their first World Cup was in 1992. Their achievements so far have been pretty good. NZ has been in it since 1975. Same as England. Both those teams have choked in multiple World Cups.
Fair enough, you would say that SA are traditionally the better cricketing nation though.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
This is the fourth semi for SA actually. They weren't an ICC member in apartheid days, so their first World Cup was in 1992. Their achievements so far have been pretty good. NZ has been in it since 1975. Same as England. Both those teams have choked in multiple World Cups.
New Zealand were never considered good enough to win the tournament before this. Even '92, their best performance before this, came as a surprise to everyone.

You are making nonsense arguments now because you have taken a stand that South Africa didn't choke.

MDFC Manager

Your definition of choking is messed up.

kps88

I take it you clearly remember all those semis NZ were knocked out in? Did they mess up simple chances towards the end of games or were they just simply outplayed?

Sylar

Regardless of choking or not, that was a fantastic game of cricket for a neutral. Do feel sorry for South Africa as the rain came down at the worst possible time when they were batting.

Congrats to NZ for getting to the final.

I want to say I hope the semi final on Thursday is as good, but honestly, I hope its not and its one sided to India, lol.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
That's just a matter of perception I think. Your 1992 team was among the best in the world at the time, until the semi finals. Pakistan were really good, but they were lucky to even get to the semis - they lost to India and had a tie or no result against England earlier IIRC. If they'd lost that second game then they'd have been knocked out.
Our 1992 team was crazy good, but most of our world cup teams over the past 2 decades have had quite major flaws, and most world cups I think we've done better our quality on paper.

MDFC Manager

We got lucky when the rain came down, just check out Brendan McMillans comments regarding that. Hope we play the Aussies in the final for the simple reason so many of the India fans on here come across as complete cnuts.
Internet hardman alert.

Kazi

Who cares if they choked, people are just using that word today because it's already associated with South Africa, and to have a giggle to themselves.

It is what it is, a brilliant game of cricket won by New Zealand.

sport2793

It shouldn't be a major issue, less so if it's India we're playing.
Tbf, while I would agree usually, India have been fantastic at the MCG in the 2 matches they have played there so far. That's where the beat SA and they just won the QF at the MCG against Bangladesh.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
What is wrong with you lot? I asked a simple question, just give a straight answer or feck off. I haven't taken any stand about anyone - just wondering why SA are called chokers when England or NZ are not. Anyone wants to give a simple answer that makes sense - I'll gladly accept your arguments. :)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Don't get me wrong, we had chances. However, the rain really did mess up our entire game plan. We had a fantastic platform to really bat them out of the game. There's no doubt in my mind that the rain had a significant impact on our players.

To be honest, it's these sort of tournaments and games which define unbelievable players. This is obviously a kneejerk reaction, but today's performance clearly shows why he won't really be considered an all time great by the end of his career IMO.
FFS :(

At least we know how it feels to support Pool

sport2793

What is wrong with you lot? I asked a simple question, just give a straight answer or feck off. I haven't taken any stand about anyone - just wondering why SA are called chokers when England or NZ are not. Anyone wants to give a simple answer that makes sense - I'll gladly accept your arguments. :)
The SA players seem to be greatly affected by the choker tag which is why it's easy to target them for it. Even in the recent World T20 they choked. It's a hard tag to shake it seems.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Our 1992 team was crazy good, but most of our world cup teams over the past 2 decades have had quite major flaws, and most world cups I think we've done better our quality on paper.
No one thought they were crazy good before the tournament. It was your innovations with Greatbach and opening the bowling with Deepak Patel that took everyone by surprise. You guys exceeded expectations.

The Blackcaps have never been one of favorites before this world cup.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think its cause SA is generally and consistently ranked top1-2 in the world in both formats. For a long time as well.

kps88

It's been explained in this thread, you just aren't listening. Losing a semi final doesn't make you a choker.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
The rain did have a huge effect on the game. It brought NZ back into the game. At that stage NZ part time bowlers would've had to bowl about 5 of the last 12. We could easily have gotten 350+. And we were well in charge at that stage. It did have an effect.

End of the day, we should've taken our chances but then again, in pressure situations anything can happen and I will not call the boys chokers. They showed up today but just weren't good enough
I agree.. SA would have won this without the rain IMO. So they can bemoan that part of the luck but I still think they let the game slip once Guptil got run out. After that they could neither squeeze the runs or take wickets/

sport2793

All I know is, this is definitely NZ's best ever team at a WC and they have delivered (and will be in with a strong chance for a first WC trophy). You can't say the same for SA.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
No one thought they were crazy good before the tournament. It was your innovations with Greatbach and opening the bowling with Deepak Patel that took everyone by surprise. You guys exceeded expectations.

The Blackcaps have never been one of favorites before this world cup.
I've only been watching cricket since 1999 but my dad said he had a great feeling about our 1992 team. But sure we exceeded expectations, I would still agree with that.

As for this world cup, we definitely weren't favourites. South Africa and Australia were more fancied before the tournament started.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I have explained NZ in my earlier posts.

As for England they have basically been shit since '92. Haven't won a world cup knock-out game since then.

The tag is associated with South Africa as they lose crucial moments in the crucial matches. They can't handle the pressure.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Fair enough. 1992 was a disappointment though, but yeah point taken.
The SA players seem to be greatly affected by the choker tag which is why it's easy to target them for it. Even in the recent World T20 they choked. It's a hard tag to shake it seems.
True that. I don't remember but didn't England win a T20 World Cup? They actually have a trophy to show if that's the case.

crappycraperson

Scout
Choking is a proper bottle job and far more negative than your definition makes it sound, like 1999 when they had four balls to score one run and lost it to a stupid run out. This game, the other side were better.
Did you actually watch that game or just checked the scorecard? Oz did exceptionally well in that game and IIRC Warne took 4 wickets. It was Klusner who pulled back the match for SA and even in the final over it went as 50/50 with 9 needed of 6 balls and only 1 wicket left. Neither time, today or that day, either side was the better one. It was too close to call and losing your cool at the key moments decide the game then. As it did today, just like that day.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings

True that. I don't remember but didn't England win a T20 World Cup? They actually have a trophy to show if that's the case.
Holy shit how many pages this thread since they've been mentioned.

sport2793

I agree.. SA would have won this without the rain IMO. So they can bemoan that part of the luck but I still think they let the game slip once Guptil got run out. After that they could neither squeeze the runs or take wickets/
Surprised they bowled Duminy those overs so early on. If it was NZ in the field they would have brought Boult back into the attack and tried to get through the middle order. SA had chances later on to take control, especially after Ross Taylor's wicket, but couldn't do it.

Yes, in 2010.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is not playing even a single match in Australia during the world cup going to be a disadvantage for NZ? I feel so..

Such a spectacle for the world cup.. This is why ODIs can't be replaced by 20-20 cricket.. AB looks gutted,that post match speech was very good..
I think it might be a disadvantage too. Mishits go for six at Eden Park and other New Zealand grounds, which won't happen at the MCG. It's something they'll have to getused to quickly. Won't be a problem while bowling though.

crappycraperson

Scout
Did NZ lose any semi where they bottle up a regulation skill at a key moment? I don't think so. Even in 92, Inzi played a blinder to knock them out. In 99 Shoib Akhtar was in form, in 2011 they were not even good enough for semis so got easily beaten by Lanka. Same in 2007.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I've only been watching cricket since 1999 but my dad said he had a great feeling about our 1992 team. But sure we exceeded expectations, I would still agree with that.

As for this world cup, we definitely weren't favourites. South Africa and Australia were more fancied before the tournament started.
'92 just clicked for you. Those innovations worked and then there was no stopping you. I loved that NZ team and have since rooted for you guys in neutral games.

I think with the form you guys entered the tournament, you were one of the favorites.

MDFC Manager

Really really feel for Morkel here. He was the one who pulled it back superbly towards the end and the catch off him should have been taken. Bowled brilliantly right through

Stretch

Thing is to label South Africa as chokers is really unnecessarily cruel. Keep in mind that the players in this team are not the ones who played in 1999. So it's not the same side essentially. We're also forgetting that with about 6 overs to go NZ were cruising but SA fought back and got themselves a fighting chance. Yes, we bottled key moments but I really think it's incredibly unfair and cruel to call us chokers. I absolutely hate the term.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
I have explained NZ in my earlier posts.

As for England they have basically been shit since '92. Haven't won a world cup knock-out game since then.

The tag is associated with South Africa as they lose crucial moments in the crucial matches. They can't handle the pressure.
Fair enough. Also genuinely thank you for explaining again. :) As for England, I was thinking back to that Gatting reverse sweep. They've got the monkey off their backs with the T20 WC though.

Did you actually watch that game or just checked the scorecard? Oz did exceptionally well in that game and IIRC Warne took 4 wickets. It was Klusner who pulled back the match for SA and even in the final over it went as 50/50 with 9 needed of 6 balls and only 1 wicket left. Neither time, today or that day, either side was the better one. It was too close to call and losing your cool at the key moments decide the game then. As it did today, just like that day.
:lol: I did watch the match. Those last two run outs did them in. Klusener held his nerve and pulled them back, it's a shame others couldn't do the same.

The part in bold is true for every game though.

Mani

325 would have been par on this small ground. They may have got 350, but they should also have defended 298 in 43 overs. Rain is not the reason they lost, it's an excuse.
Psychologically chasing 350 is difficult,any batsmen getting in after a wkt loss would be put under huge pressure.

Stretch

Another thing about this chokers tag is that the only other time I can think of us bottling it was 99. Can't recall any other matches. In those other matches where we lost we just got outplayed.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Another thing about this chokers tag is that the only other time I can think of us bottling it was 99. Can't recall any other matches. In those other matches where we lost we just got outplayed.
When you guys miscalculated the DL method.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
There was that D/L miscalculation in one of the World Cups too. And in 1992 that fecking rain rule did you guys in. I wouldn't call either of those incidents "choking" if I'm honest. But hey it's just easier to just go with stereotypes right?

crappycraperson

Scout
Come on.. QF against NZ in 2011 was a clear choke job.