g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Swann made the point yesterday that Ali bowling some good parsimonious stuff from one end could help Rashid get wickets. When Adil's the only front line spinner he can struggle to have impact, and apparently Moeen is also useful as a sounding board.

Obviously both men have been helped by very timid, Test-style batting but good bowling is good bowling.

AshRK

Also, what happened to Chandimal and Dickwella. I thought both were far better than this dross.

JohnnyKills

Brilliant spell from Rashid that. Best he's bowled in months. Let's hope he can sustain that for the rest of the WC.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He might be their most reliable player but have to say Angelo Mathews should just stick playing Test Cricket. He is one of the most useless batsmen for SL in ODIs. SO much experience yet does not know how to accelerate his innings or even keep rotating the strike. If anything this WC should be a great platform to say Goodbye to all these players who are just past their peak aka Hafeez, Malik, Amla, Mathews.
ICC should add selection rules. If your ODI SR is below 85 in the past 12 months you're banned from batting in the top 6 for the next 12 months. Likewise if your bowling average is over 50 or economy over 8 in the past 12 months you're banned from bowling in the following 12 months.

Would help get rid of all the nothing players, or force them to improve their game.

NinjaFletch

No idea why Root is bowling here. Get the quicks back on and go for the throat. Need to get ruthless.

Moby

Dick
Assuming 400 + 100 all out vs 100 all out + chased down in 10 overs it's comfortably better to lose by 300 runs.

400/50 (8) - 100/50 (2) = 6

101/10 (10.1) - 100/50 (2) = 8.1

That's why teams prefer to chase when they're looking to improve NRR.
100 all out would be a lot less than 50 overs.

Skills

Snitch
100 all out would be a lot less than 50 overs.
NRR attributes 50 overs to the team that gets bowled out.

If a team gets bowled out for 100 in 10 overs their RR is given as 2, rather than 10.

Samid

Matthews reminds me of peak Misbah. No wonder he never got a century in this format, always ran out of overs despite being at the crease for 90 % of the innings.

AshRK

Lovely test innings from Angelo Matthews
Matthews reminds me of peak Misbah. No wonder he never got a century in this format, always ran out of overs despite being at the crease for 90 % of the innings.
The selectors should have a serious word with him immediately after this match. The knock he has played today is unacceptable. Even Bangladesh and Kenyan batsmen from 90s showed more ambition that this.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The selectors should have a serious word with him immediately after this match. The knock he has played today is unacceptable. Even Bangladesh and Kenyan batsmen from 90s showed more ambition that this.
His scoring rate is poor but he's been their second-best batsman today. They've got problems all over the place including in the selectors' room. I don't think singling Mathews out would get them anywhere fast.

Samid

That is bizarre. :houllier:
Why? Teams shouldn't be rewarded for failing to bat their allocated overs. Besides changing it would open a can of worms, you'd be able to manipulate the system and improve your NRR despite losing.

232 is a poor ODI score
Let Ali and Rashid bowl too economically. 4.0 and 4.5 respectively isn’t good enough.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good bowling today against a poor, struggling batting line-up. Fernando's dismissal was awful and Mathews was too timid but at least they and Kusal put some runs on in the top order. The lack of quality, form and confidence is chronic.

Djemba-Djemba

Now then, this might be difficult.

James Vince is not an international batsman and never will be.

It's mental he gets so many chances.

Jason Roy with a torn hamstring would be a better option than Vince.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Or Hales with a rolled-up 20 up his hooter. Good bowling from Malinga but come on James lad.

AshRK

His scoring rate is poor but he's been their third-best batsman today. They've got problems all over the place including in the selectors' room. I don't think singling Mathews out would get them anywhere fast.
Mathews is the senior most batsmen and it is still shocking how he plays so cowardly. He was playing out Root FFS. Sorry he might be their top scorer today but if you plan to play till 50th over then you must show more ambition and not try to just block your end. It would have been a fine knock if it was was a test match but not in ODI's. He should be doing much better than that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Mathews is the senior most batsmen and it is still shocking how he plays so cowardly. He was playing out Root FFS. Sorry he might be their top scorer today but if you plan to play till 50th over then you must show more ambition and not try to just block your end. It would have been a fine knock if it was was a test match but not in ODI's. He should be doing much better than that.
I understand that point, don't get me wrong the innings was far too slow for a modern ODI. But the insinuation of the selectors having strong words with him is that his place is under threat because of this innings, which I find odd and over the top. If the coaches want to have a word with him about upping his rate and remind him of his duty to set an example to the younger, more diffident members of the team that's one thing but I find it hard to support a player who top scores for team in this state being effectively threatened with the chop.

AshRK

I understand that point, don't get me wrong the innings was far too slow for a modern ODI. But the insinuation of the selectors having strong words with him is that his place is under threat because of this innings, which I find odd and over the top. If the coaches want to have a word with him about upping his rate and remind him of his duty to set an example to the younger, more diffident members of the team that's one thing but I find it hard to support a player who top scores for team in this state being effectively threatened with the chop.
I hated the fact how he was just trying to play out Root and even Ali when he could have easily accelerated. I understand not all batsmen can be like Kohli or Butler who just accelerate but at least show some Ambition. All he was doing was adding more pressure on Mendis. All I could see Mathews do was protect his wicket and get himself into form. First 15-20 balls was understandable but then once you are set and once you are in last 10 overs you must accelerate and punish part time bowlers.

ANd this is not the first time I have seen Mathews play such a dire knock, he has done time and time again and it hardly does any good for SL.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Can Lanka pull something off here?
Yeah could do, they are bowling well and not giving anything away and it is getting to England. Stopping that partnership developing was crucial as they're now into the power hitters.

Djemba-Djemba

If Roy can't get fit I think England need to get Hales back. Screw optics, just win the world cup.
They can talk about how let down they feel over the way Hales behaved and that's all fair enough.

But if they want to win the World Cup they are much less likely to do it with a proven failure in Vince opening the batting. I bet if you asked the rest of the team now who they'd rather replace Roy, Hales or Vince it'd be a landslide win for Hales.

AshRK

They can talk about how let down they feel over the way Hales behaved and that's all fair enough.

But if they want to win the World Cup they are much less likely to do it with a proven failure in Vince opening the batting. I bet if you asked the rest of the team now who they'd rather replace Roy, Hales or Vince it'd be a landslide win for Hales.
If roy does not recover, not having hales could be really costly for England. I cannot see them winning the world cup with Vince as opener. India suffered a huge blow with Dhawan's injury but they have replaced him with a quality hitter. ENgland need to think something.

Fully Fledged

I would say to Hales here's a bag of Coke and a whatever of weed(I don't do drugs but don't care if another adult does) knock yourself out you're playing next match.