ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Cloud7

I feel like I say this every game, but man is it depressing to see how far Amla has fallen. For someone that was such a brilliant player, it’s sad to watch. He’s not even declined to the point of being average, he’s literally a liability at this stage.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What an intelligent bowler Amir is. Bowls some fantastic variations and it needed as much brains as it needed balls to believe in that review and persuade his captain to take it. I'm so glad he got a second chance after the spot fixing fiasco.

Moiraine

Just can’t stand Sarfaraz
He is just a proper tool, look at the movement Amir is getting and he has removed 2nd slip.
Mindless

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Just can’t stand Sarfaraz
He is just a proper tool, look at the movement Amir is getting and he has removed 2nd slip.
Mindless
Amir should set his own fields. He knows the score far more than Sarfaraz ever will, unfortunately for Pakistans fans the latter is the captain currently.

Moiraine

Watching South Africans struggle, It just shows the brilliance of Haris Sohail’s innings. He was effortless almost and timing it wonderfully.
This wicket was probably not so easy to bad.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Haris’ innings was the difference, crucial knock. Good performance by Pakistan.

SA have had a forgettable WC. Hopefully they get rid of Ottis Gibson & move on.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Easily the worst SA team I have seen in a WC. Don't think they had any plan going in. Even today they looked pretty demotivated. The fact Faf wanted to bat first on this wicket showed the kind of prep they are doing. Lose first couple of match chasing so just bat first against Indian on a pitch that will assist seamers, lose last match trying to defend a total so let's just chase this one.

Pakistan qualification will come down to the match against NZ. They should beat Afghanistan and Bangla will be a tough opponent but you have to beat then if you want to qualify. Think 11 points may turn out to be enough if a couple of results go their way.

MJJ

Easily the worst SA team I have seen in a WC. Don't think they had any plan going in. Even today they looked pretty demotivated. The fact Faf wanted to bat first on this wicket showed the kind of prep they are doing. Lose first couple of match chasing so just bat first against Indian on a pitch that will assist seamers, lose last match trying to defend a total so let's just chase this one.

Pakistan qualification will come down to the match against NZ. They should beat Afghanistan and Bangla will be a tough opponent but you have to beat then if you want to qualify. Think 11 points may turn out to be enough if a couple of results go their way.
We basically need England to lose the last three matches, against India, Australia and New Zealand I believe while winning everything ourselves.

Hercules

One question - Why Afghanistan have a match tomorrow when they played yesterday? On Tuesday, we have England vs Australia, could have been tomorrow.

crappycraperson

Scout
We basically need England to lose the last three matches, against India, Australia and New Zealand I believe while winning everything ourselves.
Well England need to win 2 to make it to 12. So you need them to lose just two which is definitely possible. If that does not happen they you are down to SA pulling off an upset against Oz after they are beaten by Eng and NZ. NZ uber RR means they have practically made the semis. Ofcourse India losing all remaining matches could do it as well but that is highly unlikely.

crappycraperson

Scout
One question - Why Afghanistan have a match tomorrow when they played yesterday? On Tuesday, we have England vs Australia, could have been tomorrow.
Eng- OZ is in Lord where match took place today as well. Afghan play against at Southhampton. India too have 2 matches in 3 days next week.

MJJ

Well England need to win 2 to make it to 12. So you need them to lose just two which is definitely possible. If that does not happen they you are down to SA pulling off an upset against Oz after they are beaten by Eng and NZ. NZ uber RR means they have practically made the semis. Ofcourse India losing all remaining matches could do it as well but that is highly unlikely.
Ahh did not know they were at 8 points. Yeah them losing two, Australia and India seems very plausible.

We just need to beat New Zealand to stand a chance which will be hard. Harris played the innings of his life today to save this match for us, it's not happening again. I do hope we bat first though, better for our bowlers and batsman can bat without pressure.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Tbf, other than 99, I don't remember a single special SA team in world cups. Agreed that these are different in that they haven't choked at all, this is just the level now.

Hercules

Eng- OZ is in Lord where match took place today as well. Afghan play against at Southhampton. India too have 2 matches in 3 days next week.
But they could have organised it better, no? I didn't know India will play twice in 3 days, that sucks. Bangladesh will give us a headache and the biggest game left for us is just 2 days before. Great planning.

crappycraperson

Scout
Tbf, other than 99, I don't remember a single special SA team in world cups. Agreed that these are different in that they haven't choked at all, this is just the level now.
96 one was very good. They just got done in by a Lara special in quarters. 2015 one was good too and should have closed out that semi against NZ. 2007 they made semis but were simply not as good as Aussies.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Pakistan won't catch NZ on NRR so are basically relying on England to lose two out of three. Even then the plan involves Pak beating NZ which on current form isn't that realistic.

Will definitely make things interesting if Aus beat Eng and Pak beat NZ in the coming days. Aus/Ind/NZ should gang up on Eng and try to get them eliminated. Last four WC finalists have all been host nations, teams just somehow find a way to win knockout games when playing at home. If I was one of those three I'd rather not have England join me in the semis.

Ban and SL I don't think stand a chance because both are yet to play Ind.

crappycraperson

Scout
92 side was great. Just got done by the rain in the semis
Even without rain, 22 off 13 was not a sure win for SA. During the era even less than 6 runs were at times defended in final overs. But constant rain interruptions did not help their chase IIRC

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Pakistan won't make it

AshRK

NZ winning yesterday was huge. Had braithwaite finished it off yesterday then the likes of Pak, SL and bangladesh could have had a huge chance to go sneak into top 4. Now it looks tough.

crappycraperson

Scout
NZ winning yesterday was huge. Had braithwaite finished it off yesterday then the likes of Pak, SL and bangladesh could have had a huge chance to go sneak into top 4. Now it looks tough.
Yeah it is basically down to England choking now for any surprise semi entrant

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Even without rain, 22 off 13 was not a sure win for SA. During the era even less than 6 runs were at times defended in final overs. But constant rain interruptions did not help their chase IIRC
Reckon McMillan would have scored those runs. They were already scoring at a brisk pace near the end.

I don't think they were that great besides the rain rule went their way against Pakistan.
Perhaps nostalgia is making me remember them fondly. Though in the knockout stages SA didn't lose that many matches. Think they lost only against NZ and England.

Traub

We should’ve won the competition in 99. feck me I still have nightmares