ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
India does have a massive talent pool though, it's stupid to deny otherwise. The country is cricket mad.

Ipl has also had a very good effect on your team, giving exposure to younger crickets earlier and I am guessing more crickets are earning a better income now than before.
You and I shouldn't ever debate on this topic.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
@shamans

Just go to India and open your eyes. The common folk there don't have the resources or facilities to make it to the top level. Listen to stories about players such as Tendulkar, Harbhajan, Kohli and Shaw where everything was against them yet they made it to the level from the sheer determination to make it there.
Yes but like I said I'm not arguing any of that. They have their struggles but from the top 100 that do make it the riches of BCCI come to play.

Like I said it's not a coincidence the team has done so much better since the boards increased finances/IPL success

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
You're not going to agree so what's the point of arguing? Yes I believe in all those four things. You don't.
Yes but like I said I'm not arguing any of that. They have their struggles but from the top 100 that do make it the riches of BCCI come to play.

Like I said it's not a coincidence the team has done so much better since the boards increased finances/IPL success
Do you also not agree with the numbers which clearly show that even the top 100 Indian players, the ones in the first team, do not have any monetary advantage over the other countries' top cricketers? Barring the absolute best - Kohli, Dhoni and perhaps Rohit - the rest are on equal footing. BTW, IPL evens out the scales for those at the top. If Dhawan gets a good contract, so does Kane Williamson. If Bumrah gets a massive payday, so does Boult.

As for the talent, here's the catch. We definitely have more players with potential to be great, but our conversion rate is very poor due to a lack of infrastructure. England and co have far lesser pools with far better conversion rates. I'd argue that it kinda balances out. If availability of raw talent were everything, India and China should be winning everything due to sheer population. I'd rather have 100 cricketers coming through a refined and stable system than 1000 through a poor setup. In both cases, you'd end up with about 10 solid players, but in the latter 900 more will suffer from the drop out. The numbers are obviously debatable, so I won't pursue this line of argument. I do think you're woefully wrong about the money, though.

On another note, I admire the Pakistani team in this regard, to be honest. They come through even worse circumstances than Indians do, and still manage to produce fine gems. I remember when Mohammed Amir had broken through, before his spot-fixing scandal. He had the potential to be better than Akram; in Akram's own words he was cleverer than him at 18. It was a thrill to watch him rip through batting orders, the raw and unfiltered talent behind his success.

Di Maria's angel

How, though? How does the board being rich help those who have already made it? Its not as if we're hiring top coaches ala football. Our facilities at the top level have improved but thats inevitable given the teams success. The whole idea behind money in a coorpation, as such, is to invest it at the grassroot level, identify and then develop talent.

You allude to the IPL but then again most of our players don't play in foreign conditions/tournaments so techincally they're at a disadvantage.

As for the correlation between the riches of the BCCI and our success, we weren't such a shabby team prior to the boards rise. I'm not going to bother naming specific players but we had great players regularly coming through the ranks.

You include a comparison of Brazil and Scotland - I'd add theres a different level of determination and grit illustrated by people from poorers countries. The sheer lack of support drives them further whereas, in richer states (the presence of it), its spoils us.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ate we gonna have a sweepstake? Might be a bit difficult with only 10 teams but we can do dis
More interested in knowing when the official fantasy game releases so I can crush you muppets like I always do.

Cloud7

How did he look whilst batting? Looked very rusty in IPL although T20 isn't his Forte. If him and Warner can get back their form then :(
Didn’t get to watch it, I just followed the scores. The powers that be didn’t think I might want to watch these practice matches so they weren’t on TV :(

I agree if Smith and Warner find some form then Australia can very easily go all the way again.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
If the ICC tried to make a terrible schedule then they would struggle to come up with something worse than what they have come up with. They have no idea how to market this sport at all . Why is the world cup starting on a Thursday morning and that too after a bank holiday weekend ? Then you see South Africa Bangladesh on the first Sunday while England Vs Pakistan is on Monday. Seriously wtf

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Yes the schedule is bizarre. India is playing it's first game with South Africa who will be playing their third.

zing

Zingle balls
Isn't it weird how it (seems like) it always rains at the cricket in England, but never at the football?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The American audience were positively bored out of their minds. :lol: Maybe the BCCI are right? ;)

crappycraperson

Scout
Isn't it weird how it (seems like) it always rains at the cricket in England, but never at the football?
It rains all the time in football matches. It is just that the game is never interrupted for it while even a medium sized drizzle is going get the covers on in international cricket.

crappycraperson

Scout
Lalit Modi stuff was funny but he treaded on a lot of stuff that happened ages ago. The big 3 change was dismantled. Revenue distribution is still uneven but that was always going to be the case given disparity in generation between nations. WC being 10 nations only is definitely not due to India. That is a ICC thing. BCCI generally is resistant to any new change in sport though.

Di Maria's angel

@Gandalf Greyhame , @Di Maria's angel -- watch that Hassan Minhaj segment if you haven't. Maybe my "psg of cricket" comments make more sense where they're coming from, even if you do disagree.

It's not just BCCI though. ICC are spineless and corrupt themselves. Reminds me of FIFA and UEFA a little bit.
I watched a few minutes last night. Would you mind bullet pointing what he said?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's common sense that when a board is generating more than half of the revenue totally of cricket then they'd try to exert more influence over ICC. Is it correct? Nope. Its just how it happens.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
how many injuries have we seen in warm-ups.

Mark wood. Vijay Shankar. Khwaja just now.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Anyone from the UK find it bizarre the lack of hype the tournament has raised here. This is in spite of the fact that the World Cup is in England and they are one of the favourites to win.

I know tickets aren’t easy to come by and I imagine a significant proportion of the country would have no idea the World Cup starts this week.

NinjaFletch

Anyone from the UK find it bizarre the lack of hype the tournament has raised here. This is in spite of the fact that the World Cup is in England and they are one of the favourites to win.

I know tickets aren’t easy to come by and I imagine a significant proportion of the country would have no idea the World Cup starts this week.
Not really. It's hidden behind a paywall as usual.

I think we'll get some hype if England reach the final, which hopefully will carry on in to the Ashes, but if we underperform I imagine it will pass by without entering the public consciousness.

Not really. It's hidden behind a paywall as usual.

I think we'll get some hype if England reach the final, which hopefully will carry on in to the Ashes, but if we underperform I imagine it will pass by without entering the public consciousness.
And most significantly, football season hasn't finished
Got the play off final today, the Europe League final with two English sides, and then the CL final with two English sides

These things are combining to ensure people aren't even really thinking about the Nations League games that come after this; never mind the cricket world cup

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
England are decent at this sport. That first game is just insanely big for England. Win against saffers and I think this team is ready for a big tournament, lose that and you never know how they recover

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
England are decent at this sport. That first game is just insanely big for England. Win against saffers and I think this team is ready for a big tournament, lose that and you never know how they recover
We will find a way to feck this tournament up somehow, I can just feel it

zing

Zingle balls
England's consistency is unbelievable. Itll be super impressive if they carry this deep into the tournament.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I watched a few minutes last night. Would you mind bullet pointing what he said?
Basically talks about BCCI's power in world cricket and how much control it has from deciding how revenue is split to how tournaments should be carried out.

Also touches on how BCCI want the money to themselves and so aren't allowing cricket to spread to other regions (such as apparently blocking it from being an Olympic sport). Not sure I agree with that part really. If more countries are involved, BCCI would make more money. Besides, I have always found ICC and to be the culprit with how badly the sport is introduced to newer countries.

Di Maria's angel

Pointless having both Dhawan and Rohit opening. We're far too one dimensional.

Whilst I predicted we'd be runners up, I can't help but feel this'll be like 2007 where it'll be the end of a few of our players.