ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Dhoni gets way too much hate for no particular reason. Can see him silencing his haters in the T20 WC next year.

zing

Zingle balls
Dhoni gets way too much hate for no particular reason. Can see him silencing his haters in the T20 WC next year.
We're already feeling like shit - and now you're just taking the piss.

AshRK

I have to say Dhoni of last 2 years aside, there will not be another Dhoni like cricketer and as an Indian fan I will miss him. Sad way to go but his contribution will never be forgotten.

MDFC Manager

Nidahas was a one off and against Bangladesh. DK has mostly played opening and #4 after that. I don't really rate him as a finisher even ahead of current below par Dhoni.
If that's the case, Jadhav should have continued to play. One way or the other, it was a woeful decision.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Then why even have him the squad. I don't think its that reason. They just tried to protect Dhoni as they knew if Dhoni goes the match is over. But that is poor planning by Kohli and Shastri. I believe Dhoni would have been fine and handled much better than Karthik.
Having him in the squad was the first mistake and the answer we'll never know.

GeorgieBoy

May as well add a knockout phase to PL. Man City face Chelsea and lose the PL based on one game having dominated the entire league.
I agree with this. The fact you've raised the point retrospectively after a loss probably doesn't help your case but the idea of a knockout round after a group stage involving the same teams is odd.

arnie_ni

Doubt that.
I duno. 23 of 11 wasnt it? If he completed that two it was 21 of 10. 2 sixes would have been all it took.

I think it was dk who was on zero after 20 balls. Thats horrendous. If he even hit 5 or 6 runs they probably wouldnt even have risked the second

zing

Zingle balls
Kohli's post match press conference was class . Only the why Dhoni batted at 7 answer made no sense
He sounds like he went through a how-to-be-polite training. His false modesty is predictable and insufferable.

I'd like to see a captain who can get us to series and tournament wins. Not a team tied down by tactics, with nearly wins and magnanimous press conference. All we are left with is individual achievements.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The White Stripes one?
That very same! Think it was invented in Champions trophy 2017 semi vs Bangladesh, which I attended.

Poor guy, was all set up for probably the most heroic innings in ODI history. Had he pulled it off, would have ranked alongside Laxman's 281 vs Australia in 2001in terms of drama and context!

zing

Zingle balls
I duno. 23 of 11 wasnt it? If he completed that two it was 21 of 10. 2 sixes would have been all it took.

I think it was dk who was on zero after 20 balls. Thats horrendous. If he even hit 5 or 6 runs they probably wouldnt even have risked the second
Yea, that's not how cricket works.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It doesn't work like that . Dhoni clearly had the target in front of him . There is nothing wrong with taking it deep but you should still try to get as many as you can every ball. I will never forget that Dhoni left the last ball of the 45th over with his team needing 52 off 31. That shit is inexplicable

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Harsha Bhogle asking if India have become chokers. (at 4m10s)

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

That very same! Think it was invented in Champions trophy 2017 semi vs Bangladesh, which I attended.

Poor guy, was all set up for probably the most heroic innings in ODI history. Had he pulled it off, would have ranked alongside Laxman's 281 vs Australia in 2001in terms of drama and context!
Think the first time I heard it was our 13/14 tour of New Zealand - there were about 10 fans, 5 Indians who were singing it.

Di Maria's angel

As opposed to dinesh Karthik who's been smashing tons left right and center? You really shouldn't be allowed to talk cricket. :lol:
You mean against the DK who'd batted one time?

Why don't you tell me why Dhoni batted at 7, then?

Cloud7

I don't think Shami would have made much difference. Bar chahal every other bowler bowled well yesterday. It was the batting that collapsed. Anyways just realized wasn't Dinesh Karthik groomed for the finisher's role, especially after the nidhas trophy. Feck was he sent to build the innings when we were 5-3. The more I think the more I am getting pissed at Kohli and Shastri. Dhoni should have come at 5-3.
Agreed. NZ has a good bowling attack, yes but 240 isn’t an unreasonable target to chase at all. Against a team with the quality of NZ you can’t hope for a much lower total than that. This loss was entirely down to the batting collapse.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This whole telling bowlers what to do stuff was also created just to justify his place in the team . If he helps out that is great but that can't be a reason to keep him in . Indian test team has done alright without his advice

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Think the first time I heard it was our 13/14 tour of New Zealand - there were about 10 fans, 5 Indians who were singing it.
Never knew it existed since so long, he certainly has a cult following amongst Indian fans. Poor Manjrekar didn't stand a chance!

Samid

We're already feeling like shit - and now you're just taking the piss.
Not his fault that he's being misused. He's an old man, forcing him to play cricket nonstop for four months is madness. Fergie used to manage Giggs' game time when he was in his late 30s, that's how you keep old players fresh. Dhoni should have been given the IPL off, and he would have entered this tournament with a fresh mindset and performed even better.

Skills

Snitch
This whole telling bowlers what to do stuff was also created just to justify his place in the team . If he helps out that is great but that can't be a reason to keep him in . Indian test team has done alright without his advice
I'm pretty sure all wicketkeepers do that actually. It's part of the job, he's right behind the batsman so they're in the best position to know what the batsman is trying to do.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I don't think Shami would have made much difference. Bar chahal every other bowler bowled well yesterday. It was the batting that collapsed. Anyways just realized wasn't Dinesh Karthik groomed for the finisher's role, especially after the nidhas trophy. Feck was he sent to build the innings when we were 5-3. The more I think the more I am getting pissed at Kohli and Shastri. Dhoni should have come at 5-3.
With his pace, movement and the form he was in I think you would have skittled out New Zealand for even less if he played. Baffling how someone can perform like he has and still get dropped.

arnie_ni

Yea, that's not how cricket works.
I know its not but it puts it in perspective. I think its madness that the guy who got the second highest score in the innings is getting the bulk of the blame.

It was the top order that failed

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
He played the typical misbah innings, cost us in 2011 and cost india now.
What gets missed with this kind of batting is that the opposition team is not dumb and can see what's happening. With the team needing 9/10 an over it is so much easier if you know that unless something crazy happens Dhoni will look to take singles and every time Jadeja is on strike he will look for a boundary

MJJ

What gets missed with this kind of batting is that the opposition team is not dumb and can see what's happening. With the team needing 9/10 an over it is so much easier if you know that unless something crazy happens Dhoni will look to take singles and every time Jadeja is on strike he will look for a boundary
It just puts so much pressure on the other player who keep losing their wickets as they try to up the tempo while the guy on the other side is blocking 2/3 balls and then taking a single!

Jadeja deserved better.

MJJ

With his pace, movement and the form he was in I think you would have skittled out New Zealand for even less if he played. Baffling how someone can perform like he has and still get dropped.
Look at the damage henry, boult did. It was a stupid defensive move to drop him.

Samid

He played the typical misbah innings, cost us in 2011 and cost india now.
Misbah learnt from that experience and came back a stronger player in the following WC where he was top 10 run scorer. I'm sure Dhoni will do the same.

Samid

How is Karthik still being picked by the way? I first saw him when I was 10 or so years old and could tell back then that he is a total wasteman. Seems like every subcontinental team has a 'tried failure' quota that they just have to fill.