ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

zing

Zingle balls
5-6 good teams. I didn't quite realize how much the format can amplify the effect of having bad teams. I hope Sri Lanka, south Africa and Pakistan step up, otherwise this is going to be tumescent.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Typical ICC/BCCI cash grab tournament setup here. Boring games. No new associate teams. Nothing to promote the game of cricket.

Was the 2011 world cup also organized by BCCI? That was a much better format and generated more interest .

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Typical ICC/BCCI cash grab tournament setup here. Boring games. No new associate teams. Nothing to promote the game of cricket.

Was the 2011 world cup also organized by BCCI? That was a much better format and generated more interest .
What's the point in seeing new associate teams? They're just walking losses. The scheduling is really poor but that's not the issue. The main problem is the fact that majority of the teams like Pak and SL are horseshit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Turned into a bit of a game now.

Coulter Nile was getting absolutely roasted in front of us, some of it was hilarious and was clearly getting to him :D

shamans

What's the point in seeing new associate teams? They're just walking losses. The scheduling is really poor but that's not the issue. The main problem is the fact that majority of the teams like Pak and SL are horseshit.
Theres no point for you but it is for spreading the game. Ask teams like Namibia and Kenya what it did for their cricket. They simply werent backed enough although Kenya had different internal issues.

People like seeing their own teams win against a few minnows too.

Also the likes of Afghanistan and Ireland would have never burst onto the scene if it werent for these tournaments.

A cricket world cup is about bringing cricket to the world stage. It's to bring everyone's eyes on the game.

Having the established nations fight it out does nothing for the game.

Di Maria's angel

Theres no point for you but it is for spreading the game. Ask teams like Namibia and Kenya what it did for their cricket. They simply werent backed enough although Kenya had different internal issues.

Also the likes of Afghanistan and Ireland would have never burst onto the scene if it werent for these tournaments.

A cricket world cup is about bringing cricket to the world stage. It's to bring everyone's eyes on the game.

You're bitching for the sake of it now. There's two less teams in the tournament than from the previous one. I don't see how adding two more teams would add anything.

Also, as for the associates, the fewer places should have them striving to improve to make it to the World Cup. Adding more shit teams would just highlight the discrepancy and worsen the quality. If teams like those I named above were better, the standard would also improve.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

I was listening to the Wisden cricket podcast yesterday and it had Niall o Brien as a guest . It was so nice to hear his stories and it made me so annoyed with the ICC for reducing the number of teams . Ireland did really well in all the world cups they played in and then they got dunked . What is the point of giving them test status while taking away odi's . All the new kids in the country who might have taken the sport up got fecked

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
You're bitching for the sake of it now. There's two less teams in the tournament than from the previous one. I don't see how adding two more teams would add anything.

Also, as for the associates, the fewer places should have them striving to improve to make it to the World Cup. Adding more shit teams would just highlight the discrepancy and worsen the quality. If teams like those I named above were better, the standard would also improve.
Wrong . It's 4 less teams than last time . Basically Afghanistan are the only newish cricket nation playing. World cup isn't just for providing top cricket, it should be an event to celebrate the sport and promote it

Di Maria's angel

Wrong . It's 4 less teams than last time . Basically Afghanistan are the only newish cricket nation playing. World cup isn't just for providing top cricket, it should be an event to celebrate the sport and promote it
@shamans i stand corrected then. In that case, its quite poor from the organisers.

shamans

As pointed out it's not two less teams and comparing and ICC event to a previous ICC event is pointless. Standards will never improve this way. You're living in your own bubble of cricket but a world cup appearance does incredible things for a nations cricketing status. Ireland beating Pakistan on st pattricks during the 2007 campaign was a major boost and saw their meteoric rise.

If we went by your logic, cricket world cup should have been the original nations and no room for the new boys (Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc). A world cup is a knockout tournament that involves the world. Else just do a 7 match play off between the top two cricketing tams.

This is a blatant cash grab by BCC and ICC but they're shooting themselves in the foot really. As it's going cricket is becoming a subcontinent only sport. Nations like Australia and England are slowly losing interest. Compare the amount of people who tuned into the 2005 ashes versus now. The sport is dying everywhere.

Even in the subcontinent teams like Pakistan and Sri Lanka are slowly slipping away. Cricket will become the NFL of India basically. Flashy franchises, big money, national interest but little substance outside of the country.

We're still a far way off that but it's dangerously going towards that direction for greed and money. It was a real shame to see the picture of cricketing nations with the queen. All these years and the sport basically hasn't spread beyond the colonized nations to play in the world cup.

Di Maria's angel

The fact Pakistan and SL are horseshit would have meant some competitive games for associate teams.
I don't think so. Teams like Kenya, Namibia, Zimbabwe have played in the WC and apart from 2003, no team has ever been remotely competitive. Shamans wants to quote Ireland in 2007 but they played in 2011 and they were walking loss.

This idea that the World Cup should be the stage for these teams to improve is stupid. In truth, these games are meaningless and far from entertaining.

I know everyone wants to hate on the BCCI (I dislike them too) but this shorter World Cup isnt a massive problem. There are other steps the ICC could take to improve cricket in the associate nations. This format does have potential however, the quality in ODI cricket just isnt there. Or rather, the discrepancy between the top and bottom is huge.

And, as I said before, adding shit associate teams serves very little purpose. I'll point to the fact that none bar Sri Lanka have improved in over 30-40 years. The likes of Kenya and Zimbabwe have actually worsened.

Di Maria's angel

This is such a stupid post.
Its like people don't watch cricket. Is there any proof to show the minnows will benefit from playing at the biggest stage? Have Ireland improved since beating Pakistan in 2007? NO. Have Bangladesh improved since beating India in the same world cup? NO.

MJJ

Its like people don't watch cricket. Is there any proof to show the minnows will benefit from playing at the biggest stage? Have Ireland improved since beating Pakistan in 2007? NO. Have Bangladesh improved since beating India in the same world cup? NO.
Look at where bangladesh were in 1999 when they beat us for the first time and look at them now. These things take time, you don't develop a powerhouse team in a decade.

Playing at the world cup will inspire more kids to take up cricket which will eventually improve the team.

Di Maria's angel

Look at where bangladesh were in 1999 when they beat us for the first time and look at them now. These things take time, you don't develop a powerhouse team in a decade.

Playing at the world cup will inspire more kids to take up cricket which will eventually improve the team.
WTF are you talking about? Bangladesh are fecking shite.

20 years ago they were a shite minnow that could cause an upset. They're still the same fecking team.

shamans

I don't think so. Teams like Kenya, Namibia, Zimbabwe have played in the WC and apart from 2003, no team has ever been remotely competitive. Shamans wants to quote Ireland in 2007 but they played in 2011 and they were walking loss.

This idea that the World Cup should be the stage for this teams to improve is stupid. In truth, these games are meaningless and far from entertaining.

I know everyone wants to hate on the BCCI (I dislike them too) but this shorter World Cup isnt a massive problem. There are other steps the ICC could take to improve cricket in the associate nations. This format does have potential however, the quality in ODI cricket just isnt there. Or rather, the disrepancy between the top and bottom is huge.

And, as I said before, adding shit associate teams serves very little purpose. I'll point to the fact that none bar Sri Lanka have improved in over 30-40 years. The likes of Kenya and Zimbabwe have actually worsened.
that's exactly what the world cup is. If it was all about the best team we'd have something like the ODI mace similar to the test ones. Yes everyone hates on BCCI and they're part of this but if it wasn't BCCI it would be some other board so it's not because they are BCCI but the fact that any one board is in such power (and that is a debate more about capitalism). BCCI is doing what it can but ICC shouldn't be so toothless.

Anyway, Bangladesh, Ireland and Afghanistan have all improved in these years. Kenya and Zimbabwe worsened due to internal issues. Look at what Fifa does with football. It gives fringe nations a chance to bring it on to the biggest stage.

I think you should read about cricket academies in nations like Holland, Scotland, Namibia and so on. To you it seems like just another associate team there to lose. To them it's almost as big as what winning the world cup would be for established teams. This is how you spread cricket.

shamans

WTF are you talking about? Bangladesh are fecking shite.

20 years ago they were a shite minnow that could cause an upset. They're still the same fecking team.
Not in the slightest. Bangladesh went from a total minnow that could cause an upset (news of Bangladesh beating a team was once seen like some massive upset) to a proper established team that can win series against the likes of New Zealend and Pakistan. They have their own flourishing T20 league.

If nothing, people are crazy about cricket there now. More so than 30 years ago. What if there was no Bangladesh in 1999? What if they hadn't beat Pakistan?

MJJ

Again, they were a crap team then? And what are they now?
A team that made it to the semis in the champions trophy and has made a couple of finals of the asia cup. They are somewhere around the level of sri lanka now rather than kenya, etc.

Your view point is similar to the people who say there should be a europe super league or even la liga model which is not good for the competition and eventually the league. This is why I find what the BCCi are doing so short sighted, it will hurt the game in the long term.

shamans

Yes and yes. Ireland went from an associate nation to a full ODI team to test cricket status. Doesn't happen if they aren't in the WC.

Skills

Snitch
@MJJ has had a good day today. Only 70 behind me now

I was 136th in the world at one point today, down to 224th now :mad:

Skills

Snitch
fecking warner not getting his century. I will lose a lot of ground when south africa play again though.
Unlimited trades before the start of round 2. That's when the real game starts as you can only then change 5 players per round without a penalty

Di Maria's angel

Not as crap. I suspect you're not old enough to have watched them in 99.
A team that made it to the semis in the champions trophy and has made a couple of finals of the asia cup. They are somewhere around the level of sri lanka now rather than kenya, etc.

Your view point is similar to the people who say there should be a europe super league or even la liga model which is not good for the competition and eventually the league. This is why I find what the BCCi are doing so short sighted, it will hurt the game in the long term.
Yes and yes. Ireland went from an associate nation to a full ODI team to test cricket status. Doesn't happen if they aren't in the WC.
Sri Lanka are a great reference point for a minnow that improved ten-fold and they didnt need 20 years to go from a shit team to one that can now occasionally cause an upset. Bangladesh, for instance, have been around for 20 years and even tomorrow, against a rubbish SA team, you don't expect them to be much of an issue. Since the 2007 WC, they've beaten 2 non associate team in each WC - England, who themselves may have been an associate ODI team. I don't see how they've improved since 2007. Ireland, following 2007, have gone on to beat England and West Indies, in 2011 and 2015. Is that an improvement? Has participating in the world cup made them stronger? I don't think so.

I love cricket and look forward to each WC. It'd be great if it could provide the same entertainment that the Football equivalent does. Unfortunately, there isnt enough quality. Already, we're seeing these pointless games - Afghan getting tossed away like some pub team even with all the quality we know they have. As I said earlier, the ICC should look at other avenues to improve the quality of cricket in these associate nations and then add them into the WC. Right now, its utterly pointless.

MJJ

Sri Lanka are a great reference point for a minnow that improved ten-fold and they didnt need 20 years to go from a shit team to one that can now occasionally cause an upset. Bangladesh, for instance, have been around for 20 years and even tomorrow, against a rubbish SA team, you don't expect them to be much of an issue. Since the 2007 WC, they've beaten 2 non associate team in each WC - England, who themselves may have been an associate ODI team. I don't see how they've improved since 2007. Ireland, following 2007, have gone on to beat England and West Indies, in 2011 and 2015. Is that an improvement? Has participating in the world cup made them stronger? I don't think so.

I love cricket and look forward to each WC. It'd be great if it could provide the same entertainment that the Football equivalent does. Unfortunately, there isnt enough quality. Already, we're seeing these pointless games - Afghan getting tossed away like some pub team even with all the quality we know they have. As I said earlier, the ICC should look at other avenues to improve the quality of cricket in these associate nations and then add them into the WC. Right now, its utterly pointless.
Even though I disagree with your general point, its hard for ICC to do this when the BCCI and big 3 command a large chunk of the total revenue.