ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What's with the lack of D/N games in the tournament?

Really annoying I'm going to miss a lot of the games. Is it a rule they have to play majority of WC games during the day or is it by choice?!

Skills

Snitch

Really annoying I'm going to miss a lot of the games. Is it a rule they have to play majority of WC games during the day or is it by choice?!
Indian market I guess. English day games are prime time in the subcontinent.

Fully Fledged

For Indian TV apparently. It puts the matches prime time there.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
South Africa never really seemed to truly believe they could win at any point after the 4th/5th over in the Bangladeshi innings.

zing

Zingle balls
SA have an AB sized hole in their middle order. Think they'd be in better shape if he'd retired earlier than just a year ago.

Skills

Snitch
SA have an AB sized hole in their middle order. Think they'd be in better shape if he'd retired earlier than just a year ago.
They should've begged him to come back for one last world cup.

PoTMS

I'm saying I don't know how he still thinks they are shite after beating West Indies last week and all the success they have had in recent tournaments.
Sorry, I don't think I made that clear. I was agreeing with you. Strange from the other guy desperate to write off Bangladesh.

AshRK

Lets see, no? You think the standard of cricket is still the same? I can't remember a period where so many teams were so poor.
I don't know about you but what is the point of narrowing the game. ICC should have done more by organising more bilateral series between big guns and other minnows like ireland, Zimbabwe and other teams so that they have more exposure before playing in the WC. 14 team tournament is perfect. Zimbabwe and Ireland can handle their own and you can two other nation who get more exposure at the highest level. No point narrowing the game.

freeurmind

weak willed
Gibson and the selectors need to go as well. Also we have no choice but to accept that our players are going to go and earn money overseas. Could have added 4 or 5 players to this team from those playing county cricket in England at the moment on Koplak deals.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I don't know about you but what is the point of narrowing the game. ICC should have done more by organising more bilateral series between big guns and other minnows like ireland, Zimbabwe and other teams so that they have more exposure before playing in the WC. 14 team tournament is perfect. Zimbabwe and Ireland can handle their own and you can two other nation who get more exposure at the highest level. No point narrowing the game.
I definitely don't disagree with the idea of a bigger tournament. The best format will always be two groups narrowing down into QFs and SFs. However, without sounding like a broken clock, I can see why there are only 10 teams in this tournament. Theres a huge gap in quality between:

England, India, Australia and New Zealand
And
South Africa, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies (the one we've seen over the last few years) and Afghanistan.

What I've been saying is that adding Ireland, Kenya, Zimbabwe etc. serves no real purpose at the moment. We'll end up seeing a handful of competitive games such is disrcrepancy. The FIFA WC works in football because not only is the sport more popular but there isnt a huge difference in quality between different tiers of teams i.e. tier 1 isnt a much better than tier 2 and tier 2 isnt so much better than tier 3. It doesnt work for cricket because there simply aren't enough good teams.

Thats just my reasoning behind the poor start to the world cup. And I don't see how adding more associates will improve quality. England have actually set a new standard in ODIs and thats the fct that an SR of 100 is no longer good enough.