ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Lets see, no? You think the standard of cricket is still the same? I can't remember a period where so many teams were so poor.
Theres nothing to see here. Its painfully obvious that bangla is better than the bangle of 20 years ago.

Are you suggesting they're the same and the rest are just worse?

If that were the case teams like Pakistan who still play like it's the 90s would be doing well..

AshRK

I definitely don't disagree with the idea of a bigger tournament. The best format will always be two groups narrowing down into QFs and SFs. However, without sounding like a broken clock, I can see why there are only 10 teams in this tournament. Theres a huge gap in quality between:

England, India, Australia and New Zealand
And
South Africa, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies (the one we've seen over the last few years) and Afghanistan.

What I've been saying is that adding Ireland, Kenya, Zimbabwe etc. serves no real purpose at the moment. We'll end up seeing a handful of competitive games such is disrcrepancy. The FIFA WC works in football because not only is the sport more popular but there isnt a huge difference in quality between different tiers of teams i.e. tier 1 isnt a much better than tier 2 and tier 2 isnt so much better than tier 3. It doesnt work for cricket because there simply aren't enough good teams.

Thats just my reasoning behind the poor start to the world cup. And I don't see how adding more associates will improve quality. England have actually set a new standard in ODIs and thats the fct that an SR of 100 is no longer good enough.
Which is why I said narrowing the game will increase the gap in quality even more. This is why it is very important to have them play more bilateral series against big guns. Ireland/afganistan/Zimbabwe can easily be arranged to play more odis against top nations. Give them more exposure and then have 14 nation play the tournament. By just narrowing the game you are just asking other minnow mations to feck off and look for other sports.

Start need to happen by organizing more bilateral or triangular series so that new nations play more games.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Which is why I said narrowing the game will increase the gap in quality even more. This is why it is very important to have them play more bilateral series against big guns. Ireland/afganistan/Zimbabwe can easily be arranged to play more odis against top nations. Give them more exposure and then have 14 nation play the tournament. By just narrowing the game you are just asking other minnow mations to feck off and look for other sports.

Start need to happen by organizing more bilateral or triangular series so that new nations play more games.
More bilaterial series' are required for sure.

Di Maria's angel

Theres nothing to see here. Its painfully obvious that bangla is better than the bangle of 20 years ago.

Are you suggesting they're the same and the rest are just worse?

If that were the case teams like Pakistan who still play like it's the 90s would be doing well..
I went far in saying they haven't improved. I still think they've not hit the heights I thought they would back in 2007. Heres a simple stat:

Between 99-07 - they beat India twice
Between 07-19 - they'e between India thrice

I don't rate Bangladesh just yet. Maybe by the end of this tournament, they'll have won me over. They were brilliant today.

Spoony

The People's President
I went far in saying they haven't improved. I still think they've not hit the heights I thought they would back in 2007. Heres a simple stat:

I don't rate Bangladesh just yet. Maybe by the end of this tournament, they'll have won me over. They were brilliant today.

Sure cricket has become India centric but really?????

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not sure why Otis Gibson was linked to England spot. The Saffers team has gone behind in his reign.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Not sure why Otis Gibson was linked to England spot. The Saffers team has gone behind in his reign.
Coaching in cricket is a pretty hard job and coaching Saffers is even harder. I don't know much about Gibson but with all the quotas and kołpak issues in Saffer cricket it is hard to build a team . Coaches also have little say in selection in most countries

KM

Coaching in cricket is a pretty hard job and coaching Saffers is even harder. I don't know much about Gibson but with all the quotas and kołpak issues in Saffer cricket it is hard to build a team . Coaches also have little say in selection in most countries
It's not about this match only though. Under his tutelage they lost a series to Sri Lanka at home too. That should be a sackable offence in itself.

KM

India is the only barometer.

Christ, the game needs to go back a few decades.
Chill it's just one person saying that. Talk about overreaction :lol:

Cricket needs to go back a few decades when England/Australia were running ICC and didn't travel to poor Asian countries. Great days that.

RedTiger

Half mast

The thing is, we haven't actually played that many games between us in 20 years. I mean India has only ever invited us for 1 home series I believe.

Di Maria's angel

World cup quarter finals
Champions trophy semi finalist
Asia cup 2 x finals

But no let's use record against India:lol:
Who cares about the shitty Asia cup? Pakistan and Sri Lanka have been shite for years.

Look at the 2015 WC results - the only major team they beat was England and they were god damn awful that year.

And they won one fecking game in the CT trophy of 2017. They were extremely fortunate that it rained during the game against Australia because that was a guaranteed loss for them and that would have been the end.

KM

The thing is, we haven't actually played that many games between us in 20 years. I mean India has only ever invited us for 1 home series I believe.
According to wiki we've travelled to Bangladesh seven times in that two decades for series. That's an okay amount of matches.

Di Maria's angel

IIRC you did beat SA at home a few years ago. I think you've beaten us as well at home (ODI series). However, I really dont see huge improvements. The 2007 team that beat us was quite a talented lot - Mushfiqur, Tamim, Mortaza are still around, Razzaq was a wonderful spinner. But I just don't think you've hit the heights you threatened to back then. I still don't think Bangladesh have cemented themselves as a genuine threat.

KM

There's been quite a few matches that Bangladesh have outplayed India but they somehow always lose their nerve in key moments leading to absolute hilarity.

That 144WWW was one of the biggest bottle jobs in history of cricket :lol:

KM

Who cares about the shitty Asia cup? Pakistan and Sri Lanka have been shite for years.

Look at the 2015 WC results - the only major team they beat was England and they were god damn awful that year.

And they won one fecking game in the CT trophy of 2017. They were extremely fortunate that it rained during the game against Australia because that was a guaranteed loss for them and that would have been the end.
I'm not sure what your argument here is but if it's that Bangladesh havent improved in the last 2 decades then it's absolutely wrong.

Di Maria's angel

I'm not sure what your argument here is but if it's that Bangladesh havent improved in the last 2 decades then it's absolutely wrong.
I've addresses that. I went way over the top.

This all goes back to me arguing that there isn't enough quality in the associates/minnows to have more of them in the WC.

MJJ

I am sorry yeah random matches against India matter more.

India won the last two, before that it was Sri Lanka and then Pakistan. Not really seeing the dominance one would expect from India if the latter two have been shite for years and Bangladesh haven't improved at all.

They beat New Zealand and came very close against England. Given the format you cant really ask for much more.

Di Maria's angel

There's been quite a few matches that Bangladesh have outplayed India but they somehow always lose their nerve in key moments leading to absolute hilarity.

That 144WWW was one of the biggest bottle jobs in history of cricket :lol:
Didnt Dinesh Karthik hit them for 30 off the last two overs a couple of years back?

KM

I've addresses that. I went way over the top.

This all goes back to me arguing that there isn't enough quality in the associates/minnows to have more of them in the WC.
I disagree with that. The game will only rise if theres more teams. Actually today has been the first good match of the whole tournament. Before that the first four matches were completely one sided and boring.

ICCs decision to limit the world cup teams has been stupid.

Di Maria's angel

I am sorry yeah random matches against India matter more.

India won the last two, before that it was Sri Lanka and then Pakistan. Not really seeing the dominance one would expect from India if the latter two have been shite for years and Bangladesh haven't improved at all.

They beat New Zealand and came very close against England. Given the format you cant really ask for much more.
If we change the argument to how much have they improved - I'd argue not enough.

Also we've played them like 50 times.

Di Maria's angel

I disagree with that. The game will only rise if theres more teams. Actually today has been the first good match of the whole tournament. Before that the first four matches were completely one sided and boring.

ICCs decision to limit the world cup teams has been stupid.
Wouldn't adding the likes of Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands just add more pointless games?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I like Bangladesh, exciting team to watch. Good chance of getting far

MJJ

If we change the argument to how much have they improved - I'd argue not enough.

Also we've played them like 50 times.
Look at their odi ranking in 1999 and now. They went from the level of Kenya to a respectable team who can beat anyone on their day. If the money is better distributed and the big 3 actually does bilateral series, the game will develop even more.

Di Maria's angel

Look at their odi ranking in 1999 and now. They went from the level of Kenya to a respectable team who can beat anyone on their day. If the money is better distributed and the big 3 actually does bilateral series, the game will develop even more.
And what I argued is Sri Lanka, a smaller country, went from nothing to WC winners who could beat anyone on an off day as well.

But yeah, I agree with the rest of your point. Cricket needs to improve massively.

Di Maria's angel

The same Ireland who tied with Pakistan in 2007 WC. Defeated England in 2011?
You're naming one off situations.

1) They shouldn't be in the WC
2) ICC should allow more teams into the CT
3) More bilateral series' should involves these smaller nations.

And then as they improve, add more teams.

RedTiger

Half mast
IIRC you did beat SA at home a few years ago. I think you've beaten us as well at home (ODI series). However, I really dont see huge improvements. The 2007 team that beat us was quite a talented lot - Mushfiqur, Tamim, Mortaza are still around, Razzaq was a wonderful spinner. But I just don't think you've hit the heights you threatened to back then. I still don't think Bangladesh have cemented themselves as a genuine threat.
I agree. From 2007 to now should have been a big improvement but it's not. That's mostly down to the BCB though and sticking with imrul Kayes for too long.