ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah but someone a few posts back was saying that Wahab is class when he gets dropped every year after 1-2 great performances followed by lots of rubbish
Wahab riaz is a very interesting case and you cant just bring up the fact that he gets dropped as proof of how had he is.

Wahab of 9 years ago is also a totally different beast than now.

AshRK

Yeah, I don't really rate him as a hitter but neither is Woakes. Just look through his ODI innings', there isn't a lot there.
Maybe you are right and I might be overrating Woakes as a batsman but whenever I see him play (not that much), he seems to do reasonable well for a 6 down batsman but Jadeja seems to be the opposite. Maybe again I have not seen Jadeja's good knocks and I am harsh on him but I don't trust Jadeja to bail us out if needed,

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Wahab riaz is a very interesting case and you cant just bring up the fact that he gets dropped as proof of how had he is.

Wahab of 9 years ago is also a totally different beast than now.
Why not ? You are using his best to suggest how good he is even though that best is seem once in like 10 matches

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wahab is far too inconsistent however, he did bowl one of the fiercest spells I've ever seen in the last WC.
Yea I was against him getting into the team for Junaid. Far too inconsistent throughout his career, he's always been in good form domestically and gets back into the team only to be hit out again (the same happened in the 2017 CT). He was good today no doubt but against WI he was smashed as well while Amir was taking wickets and putting pressure.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Hes a very rhythm centric bowler. Needs to be confident and in the grove to perform well. He once tried his runup 5 times because he couldnt get in the grove.
What you're saying is that, in truth, he simply isnt good enough.

In the 2011 World Cup SF, he tore us apart with a belligerent spell - yorking Yuvi with an absolute peach. He looked the real deal back then. Never did kick on.

Di Maria's angel

Maybe you are right and I might be overrating Woakes as a batsman but whenever I see him play (not that much), he seems to do reasonable well for a 6 down batsman but Jadeja seems to be the opposite. Maybe again I have not seen Jadeja's good knocks and I am harsh on him but I don't trust Jadeja to bail us out if needed,
I'm really struggling to think of a good lower order hitter. Like I said, it's an odd position. Maybe Imad (@ha_rooney , @MJJ can comment)? Moeen could be a contender? Jimmy Neesham? James Faulkner was pretty decent.

I think Jadeja would be very useful in a tough situation - he's proved so. I wouldn't want him if we needed 40 off 4 overs.

shamans

What you're saying is that, in truth, he simply isnt good enough.

In the 2011 World Cup SF, he tore us apart with a belligerent spell - yorking Yuvi with an absolute peach. He looked the real deal back then. Never did kick on.
In 2015 he was ripping through Australia but the field let him down. That 2011 isn't even his best spell. The guy has had a lot of fiery spells all over. He isn't the best on dead subcontinent pitches but most times when he bowls in England or Australia he's devastating.

Also, cricket imo isn't like footy where players are either good enough or just aren't and are mostly that way. Experience is key in cricket and there's a reason you'll see a lot of late boomers past 30.

Di Maria's angel

In 2015 he was ripping through Australia but the field let him down. That 2011 isn't even his best spell. The guy has had a lot of fiery spells all over. He isn't the best on dead subcontinent pitches but most times when he bowls in England or Australia he's devastating.

Also, cricket imo isn't like footy where players are either good enough or just aren't and are mostly that way. Experience is key in cricket and there's a reason you'll see a lot of late boomers past 30.
I'm gonna ask you to look at his stats - they're very poor in England and SA. He's just too inconsistent - similar to our Umesh Yadav.

shamans

Yea I was against him getting into the team for Junaid. Far too inconsistent throughout his career, he's always been in good form domestically and gets back into the team only to be hit out again (the same happened in the 2017 CT). He was good today no doubt but against WI he was smashed as well while Amir was taking wickets and putting pressure.
I can't believe anyone who consistently watches cricket that would want Junaid Khan over Wahab Riaz. Junaid Khan is a proper trundler compared to Riaz who is in red hot form. He was bowling aggressive against the windows and found the edge a few times. Besides, they were defending 105. Can't fault them.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm really struggling to think of a good lower order hitter. Like I said, it's an odd position. Maybe Imad (@ha_rooney , @MJJ can comment)? Moeen could be a contender? Jimmy Neesham? James Faulkner was pretty decent.

I think Jadeja would be very useful in a tough situation - he's proved so. I wouldn't want him if we needed 40 off 4 overs.
Imad is not consistent in hitting sixes but has consistently contributed to getting quick runs at the bottom of the innings. The issue with him though is that he has yet to really win a match for us where we are chasing and need runs in the end, he has been good at finishing innings when we're scoring first.

Pandya is the best lower order hitting all rounder the world for me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I can't believe anyone who consistently watches cricket that would want Junaid Khan over Wahab Riaz. Junaid Khan is a proper trundler compared to Riaz who is in red hot form. He was bowling aggressive against the windows and found the edge a few times. Besides, they were defending 105. Can't fault them.
Exactly. I said it prior to the tournament that Pakistan have made an excellent selection by going with likes of Wahab and Amir over the likes of Junaid. They're tournament bowlers, 'magic' bowlers.. with X factor. You need these guys when the chips are down. England need more of these type of bowlers with character and flair.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yea a trundler who was the third highest wicket taker in the CT 2017, where he came precisely for Wahab after Wahab got smashed by India and was a consistent wicket taker throughout the rest of the tournament.

FFS, we won the CT without a single express paceman, I don't understand the world obsession with pace bowling even when it has no line and length. England have one of the quickest pace lineups and they're consistently shit. Junaid has a proven better record than Wahab in every facest of bowling besides pace.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Exactly. I said it prior to the tournament that Pakistan have made an excellent selection by going with likes of Wahab and Amir over the likes of Junaid. They're tournament bowlers, 'magic' bowlers.. with X factor. You need these guys when the chips are down. England need more of these type of bowlers with character and flair.
Did you see the CT when Junaid was the third highest wicket taker? That wasn't a tournament? Bollocks that he isn't a tournament bowler when he's only played one ODI tournament and was the third best bowler.

EDIT: Oh wait I forgot, he also came in to play one match at the Asia Cup and took 4 wickets against Bangladesh. So that's 5 matches, 12 wickets in tournament cricket. Not a tournament bowler definitely.

MJJ

Imad is not good enough, he is decent I suppose but way too hit than miss. Pandrek seems pretty good but not sure if you would class him as a lower middle order.

shamans

Yea a trundler who was the third highest wicket taker in the CT 2017, where he came precisely for Wahab after Wahab got smashed by India and was a consistent wicket taker throughout the rest of the tournament.

FFS, we won the CT without a single express paceman, I don't understand the world obsession with pace bowling even when it has no line and length. England have one of the quickest pace lineups and their consistently shit. Junaid has a proven better record than Wahab in every facest of bowling besides pace.
It was 2 years ago. Wahab was out of form. Conditions also seem different. England's pace attack had a bad day but since when are they "consistently shit"?

You can throw all the stats you want. It takes the most basic fast bowling knowledge to see Riaz bowl an over vs Junaid Khan and see which one is vastly superior. Precisely the reason selectors went with Wahab Riaz and he has been proving it so far.

Junaid Khan as of late couldn't bowl a yorker to save his life, talk about line and length. Riaz is devastating with the short ball and yorker. He's also a handy batsman.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It was 2 years ago. Wahab was out of form. Conditions also seem different. England's pace attack had a bad day but since when are they "consistently shit"?

You can throw all the stats you want. It takes the most basic fast bowling knowledge to see Riaz bowl an over vs Junaid Khan and see which one is vastly superior. Precisely the reason selectors went with Wahab Riaz and he has been proving it so far.

Junaid Khan as of late couldn't bowl a yorker to save his life, talk about line and length. Riaz is devastating with the short ball and yorker. He's also a handy batsman.
Wtf are you talking about? It was two years ago and in those two years Wahab didn't bowl a delivery of international cricket until the West Indies match. Junaid on the other hand had an average of 33 in those last two years, go look at the averages of our other fast bowlers during the same time.

If Wahab is such an amazing bowler like you say he is, why the hell wasn't he being selected for the last two years and now suddenly the selectors realized he is our best bowler?

And just so you know, this is our 5th consecutive 300+ score against England. Pakistan, who couldn't score past 300 for shit. England's bowling is known to be crap for ages, West Indies were also hitting 350+ scores against them recently.

shamans

Wtf are you talking about? It was two years ago and in those two years Wahab didn't bowl a delivery of international cricket until the West Indies match. Junaid on the other hand had an average of 33 in those last two years, go look at the averages of our other fast bowlers during the same time.

If Wahab is such an amazing bowler like you say he is, why the hell wasn't he being selected for the last two years and now suddenly the selectors realized he is our best bowler?

And just so you know, this is our 5th consecutive 300+ score against England. Pakistan, who couldn't score past 300 for shit. England's bowling is known to be crap for ages, West Indies were also hitting 350+ scores against them recently.
How familiar are you with domestic circuits in cricket?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Did you see the CT when Junaid was the third highest wicket taker? That wasn't a tournament? Bollocks that he isn't a tournament bowler when he's only played one ODI tournament and was the third best bowler.

EDIT: Oh wait I forgot, he also came in to play one match at the Asia Cup and took 4 wickets against Bangladesh. So that's 5 matches, 12 wickets in tournament cricket. Not a tournament bowler definitely.
Look there is no point throwing stats out there when you’re dealing with a side like Pakistan the ultimate mercurial team.

All I know is going by ‘feels’ - if Pakistan have a good score to defend I’m gong to be feeling a lot more confident if it is Amir and Wahab defending it at the death - they have more X factor.

Said it prior to the tournament and said it today during Pakistan’s innings - do not underestimate that Pakistan bowling lineup when it has runs to defend. I wouldn’t feel the same if it was Junaid leading the line backed up by Husnain. Not the same fear factor.

Di Maria's angel

Ugh, sometimes I wish stats didn't exist in cricket. They simply don't tell the whole story.
I actually think stats in cricket are far, far more useful than, say, stats in foobtall.

The guys averages 80 with the ball in South Africa and England, and is generally very poor against the top sides. Yes, he has the ability to churn out a spell or two but he simply isn't good enough. Even today he ended up the most expensive yet produced a couple of gems.

Di Maria's angel

Harthik Pandya? Not sure of the spelling.

Should be miss than hit too, I need to sleep :lol:
Not yet, he isn't. I'm actually struggling to think of a time where he's gone beserk. He's had a couple of great innings of like 80 off 70 etc. but apart from CT final, he hasn't shown the consistent hitting ability we saw in the IPL. (Obviously, I'm going on memory).

JohnnyKills

Yep, this is our problem. We're conceding too many runs.

Can see us dropping Woakes for Curran and opening the bowling with Wood and Archer.

shamans

I actually think stats in cricket are far, far more useful than, say, stats in foobtall.

The guys averages 80 with the ball in South Africa and England, and is generally very poor against the top sides. Yes, he has the ability to churn out a spell or two but he simply isn't good enough. Even today he ended up the most expensive yet produced a couple of gems.
More so than footy, yes, but still not accurate imo. Especially career stats for a fast bowler. Fast bowlers are like modified sports car. Devastating when running smooth but not always are.

Not every bowler can be a supercar like Brett Lee. Fast and consistent. Very few are. Steyn also comes to mind. Wahab isn't in their league of course

Di Maria's angel

More so than footy, yes, but still not accurate imo. Especially career stats for a fast bowler. Fast bowlers are like modified sports car. Devastating when running smooth but not always are.

Not every bowler can be a supercar like Brett Lee. Fast and consistent. Very few are. Steyn also comes to mind. Wahab isn't in their league of course
I'd say Wahabs a tier 3 bowler. Not in the elite or best but he's explosive enough to be a good bowler.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He got a ban prior to the World Cup so depends on the Umpire's report really.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
How familiar are you with domestic circuits in cricket?
Very familiar, what questions do you want to ask about it? Are you going to bring up Wahab's PSL? Or the latest Regional ODI tournament where no other decent bowler in Pakistan played since they were either being rested (Amir, Hasan Ali) or playing in the Australia series (Junaid, Shaheen, Shinwari) and therefore Wahab was the highest wicket taker? How familiar are you with Sadaf Hussain who has been our best domestic bowler consistently for 5 years now but never got close to being selected let alone playing for the national team. Yea, don't bring domestic performance tripe when our some of our best performers at that level have not been selected (there are many more examples than Sadaf).

And Wahab is an average domestic player as well outside of the PSL, where if you remember he also did very well in 2017. On that basis was selected for the CT, whereby he got destroyed in the first match and never came back for two years.

Look there is no point throwing stats out there when you’re dealing with a side like Pakistan the ultimate mercurial team.

All I know is going by ‘feels’ - if Pakistan have a good score to defend I’m gong to be feeling a lot more confident if it is Amir and Wahab defending it at the death - they have more X factor.

Said it prior to the tournament and said it today during Pakistan’s innings - do not underestimate that Pakistan bowling lineup when it has runs to defend. I wouldn’t feel the same if it was Junaid leading the line backed up by Husnain. Not the same fear factor.
Jees yea 'feels' were exactly why a player like Afridi had a 20+ year career with Pakistan when he wouldn't have gone past his first year for any other decent cricket playing nation. I wonder where those 'feels' were when Wahab broke the record for the most runs conceded in an ODI match the last time he played a series against England. Fine, he played well today despite going for 8+ runs an over again, but we will see how he does in the following matches.

As of now his world cup in 2019 stands at an average of 40+ with over 8+ runs conceded per over. Oh and if you want to talk about defending a total, maybe we should bring in Junaid when we bowl first given how good he was when teams were batting first against us two years ago.

NinjaFletch

He got a ban prior to the World Cup so depends on the Umpire's report really.
Disciplinary points don't carry over either, so it would be extraordinary harsh to get a ban for what would (effectively) be a first time offence.