ICC World T20 2016

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Reason number 989278432 why Virat is such a boss:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why did Ashwin get MOTM? Why not Dhoni?
Should have been Jadeja, crucial runs at the end, wicket of Tamim, excellent fielding.

The outcome took everyone by surprise I guess. Sanjay was reading Shakib's figures at the presentation.

prath92

22 is old enough to know whether he's got it. He's an average medium pacer who barely swings the ball and can't bowl yorkers. Batting wise, he's no better than Jadeja. Technique is awful and the best you can hope for is a few slogs. Ishant is a far better bowler.
iirc, he hit a 50 in IPL too and has had more than one exploding innings for India. T20 is all about slogs. Most T20 players are like this. Maxwell for one has nothing but slogs. Same with Faulkner. Both are also decent bowlers at best of late. Ishant is someone who cant bowl or bat nowadays.

prath92

A committee of 4 including Misbah and Younis Khan appointed to investigate the problems in Pak team.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
iirc, he hit a 50 in IPL too and has had more than one exploding innings for India. T20 is all about slogs. Most T20 players are like this. Maxwell for one has nothing but slogs. Same with Faulkner. Both are also decent bowlers at best of late. Ishant is someone who cant bowl or bat nowadays.
He's had one decent innings for us. The sample is small but in general his technique is awful and slogging will only work so many times.

Maxwell is a far better slogger for a start and can play properly when he wants to. Faulkner is not a slogger by stretch of the imagination. Pandya is basically another Jadeja without the bowling ability. We can't keep on pretending players like Jadeja and Pandya are allrounders. They are bowlers (In Pandya's case not even a very good one) who may occasionally slog a few when they get lucky.

prath92

He's had one decent innings for us. The sample is small but in general his technique is awful and slogging will only work so many times.

Maxwell is a far better slogger for a start and can play properly when he wants to. Faulkner is not a slogger by stretch of the imagination. Pandya is basically another Jadeja without the bowling ability. We can't keep on pretending players like Jadeja and Pandya are allrounders. They are bowlers (In Pandya's case not even a very good one) who may occasionally slog a few when they get lucky.
Actually he has had at least 2. A game in the SL series (or the asia cup) where he hit 30 off 15 or something and yday. Plus he has 50s in domestic leagues as well. In T20s, even slogs are important. All the supposed "all rounders" like Albie Morkel, Pollard are all the same as well. Maxwell is the perfect picture of a modern day batsman. Just smash or get out. of late he doesnt even do that. He might have maybe 2 or at best 3 responsible innings and not just hitting from the word go.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Actually he has had at least 2. A game in the SL series (or the asia cup) where he hit 30 off 15 or something and yday. Plus he has 50s in domestic leagues as well. In T20s, even slogs are important. All the supposed "all rounders" like Albie Morkel, Pollard are all the same as well. Maxwell is the perfect picture of a modern day batsman. Just smash or get out. of late he doesnt even do that. He might have maybe 2 or at best 3 responsible innings and not just hitting from the word go.
I hadn't realized yesterday's innings counted as a explosive innings. For fecks sake. Jadeja has triple hundreds in the domestic leagues. Doesn't stop him from being a terrible international batsman. You cannot compare Maxwell to Pandya. He's a much better batsman than Pandya, slogger or not. Plus no one thinks Maxwell is an allrounder even though he bowls some shit offspin.

I'm surprised people think Pandya can be counted as an allrounder. No idea about the IPL but from the little I have seen for India he looks a poor and unreliable batsman. Maybe he will improve, who knows.

prath92

I hadn't realized yesterday's innings counted as a explosive innings. For fecks sake. Jadeja has triple hundreds in the domestic leagues. Doesn't stop him from being a terrible international batsman. You cannot compare Maxwell to Pandya. He's a much better batsman than Pandya, slogger or not. Plus no one thinks Maxwell is an allrounder even though he bowls some shit offspin.

I'm surprised people think Pandya can be counted as an allrounder. No idea about the IPL but from the little I have seen for India he looks a poor and unreliable batsman. Maybe he will improve, who knows.
In T20 thats explosive enough. He changed the momentum in our favour after raina and kohli were struggling for boundaries. His wicket was also a freak wicket to a weird catch. It w as a good innings that helped us in the end. His job was to be a pinchhitter and pinch hitting he did. How many explosive innings have you seen Pollard and Albie Morkel play? Less than 10 even if you include their 20 off 8 innings. Yet they are seen as all rounders.

Jadeja averages 32 , mostly batting at #7. I dont think he is as poor as you are making him out to be. He can hit when required and can support Dhoni or whoever bats with him well.
Maxwell is good at hitting, nothing more. he will bat the same way whether he comes in at 30/3 from 9 overs or at 295/3 wih 5 overs to go. Not comparable to Pandya of course but he is a terrible batsman as well. In T20 you need sloggers. Aussies have Ashton Agar, Mitch Marsh, Faulkner and all who are exactly that. Most teams have that too.

NinjaFletch

I'm surprised you pick yesterdays match to have a go at him? I thought he was the only Indian batsman (including Kohli) to play with any sort of fluency whatsoever. He came in and timed the ball from his first ball and if not for an absolute worldy of a catch looked like he'd probably lift you to about 160-170 which would have been a comfortable winning score.

You can criticise him for slogging, fine, but he looks like a natural timer of the ball to me despite that.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Loved it whenever Watson was given LBW. In the days of DRS it had it's own hilarity and theatre about it that i enjoyed.

Samid

Loved it whenever Watson was given LBW. In the days of DRS it had it's own hilarity and theatre about it that i enjoyed.
He genuinely believed he was not out every time. 0:29 is the most plumbed LBW you'll get but he seems absolutely distraught when the decision isn't overturned.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
In T20 thats explosive enough. He changed the momentum in our favour after raina and kohli were struggling for boundaries. His wicket was also a freak wicket to a weird catch. It w as a good innings that helped us in the end. His job was to be a pinchhitter and pinch hitting he did. How many explosive innings have you seen Pollard and Albie Morkel play? Less than 10 even if you include their 20 off 8 innings. Yet they are seen as all rounders.

Jadeja averages 32 , mostly batting at #7. I dont think he is as poor as you are making him out to be. He can hit when required and can support Dhoni or whoever bats with him well.
Maxwell is good at hitting, nothing more. he will bat the same way whether he comes in at 30/3 from 9 overs or at 295/3 wih 5 overs to go. Not comparable to Pandya of course but he is a terrible batsman as well. In T20 you need sloggers. Aussies have Ashton Agar, Mitch Marsh, Faulkner and all who are exactly that. Most teams have that too.
I've no idea why you are bringing up Pollard and Morkel? Does Morkel even play for SA? Don't really rate Pollard either.

Jadeja is a terrible batsman but thankfully developed into a very good bowler.

Your definition of slogging must be something else entirely. Faulkner is not a slogger, neither is Marsh. The latter seems to have done well in Tests as well iirc. Nothing wrong with senseless slogging as such. But just because he can occasionally hit a few does not mean you're an allrounder.

I'm surprised you pick yesterdays match to have a go at him? I thought he was the only Indian batsman (including Kohli) to play with any sort of fluency whatsoever. He came in and timed the ball from his first ball and if not for an absolute worldy of a catch looked like he'd probably lift you to about 160-170 which would have been a comfortable winning score.

You can criticise him for slogging, fine, but he looks like a natural timer of the ball to me despite that.
I only had a go at his bowling. It was terrible. As for his batting, my point was that the term all rounder implies a certain level of reliability with both the bat and the ball. He doesn't seem to be anywhere near that level with the bat. Not yet at least.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Should have been Jadeja, crucial runs at the end, wicket of Tamim, excellent fielding.

The outcome took everyone by surprise I guess. Sanjay was reading Shakib's figures at the presentation.
Probably yes. Ashwin got the crucial Shakib wicket and bowled a terrific economical spell but I don't think he turned the match around.

The case for Dhoni is Sabbir was their most dangerous batsman yesterday and that stumping was killer. That dropped catch (tough one) aside I thought he did everything right. As for captaincy- I don't think Bangladesh would've been able to nearly chase it down if not for woeful Indian fielding. Bumrah was awful yesterday. I thought it was Dhoni's smart wicket keeping that won it for us.

prath92

I've no idea why you are bringing up Pollard and Morkel? Does Morkel even play for SA? Don't really rate Pollard either.

Jadeja is a terrible batsman but thankfully developed into a very good bowler.

Your definition of slogging must be something else entirely. Faulkner is not a slogger, neither is Marsh. The latter seems to have done well in Tests as well iirc. Nothing wrong with senseless slogging as such. But just because he can occasionally hit a few does not mean you're an allrounder.
Nah you cant put other formats' definition of all rounders in t20 is my point. None of the so called "all rounders" are reliable in this format. Pollard and Morkel were genuine all rounders (and maybe still are) but they would have played maybe 10 good games batting and bowling. All you need in t20 from a lower order pinch hitter is the capability to get the extra 15-20 runs and get in maybe 2 or 3 overs at an econ of less than 8. Both if you see from ODI or Tests pov would be terrible but in T20 its the norm. You would struggle to find a t20 all rounder like Imran Khan was in Tests. How many reliable bowling all rounders are there according to you in T20?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
West Indies girlies win toss and bat against England. Most interesting game in this group, for me. England certainly should win but West Indies are dangerous in 20 over cricket.

EDIT - And I've just realised they've chosen to televise Pakistan against Bangladesh, instead :(

prath92

Just like Donald Trump comments, it is difficult to tell if this parody or real.
The thing is selecting players that the captain personally wants was the norm in Pakistan even 30 years back. The difference seems to be that where the likes of imran and Akram could spot talent, Afridi seems to be unable to

Samid

West Indies girlies win toss and bat against England. Most interesting game in this group, for me. England certainly should win but West Indies are dangerous in 20 over cricket.

EDIT - And I've just realised they've chosen to televise Pakistan against Bangladesh, instead :(
It's the third Bangladesh game they are televising, that's two too many imo. Sure good on them for being on tv but this is supposed to be about expanding women's cricket. The public wants to see good and even cricket, not half the matches being boring one-sided encounters.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
You would struggle to find a t20 all rounder like Imran Khan was in Tests. How many reliable bowling all rounders are there according to you in T20?
Hard to say. I don't watch a lot of T20 internationals so not sure of the records in this format. Faulkner I suppose is probably the best. Can bowl his 4 overs and play sensibly as well as hit sixes when he wants. Bravo as well perhaps.

Norris

I'm assuming there is no game today based on the heavy discussions going on ? :p

DOTA

It's the third Bangladesh game they are televising, that's two too many imo. Sure good on them for being on tv but this is supposed to be about expanding women's cricket. The public wants to see good and even cricket, not half the matches being boring one-sided encounters.
I suppose the tournament's on the subcontinent and they may wish to use that whilst they can (given it's possible not one Asian side will make it through).

DOTA

Listened to England beat West Indies off the last ball, 9 down.

Meanwhile Bangladesh got trashed by Pakistan, in the televised game.

*grumble*

MDFC Manager

Probably yes. Ashwin got the crucial Shakib wicket and bowled a terrific economical spell but I don't think he turned the match around.

The case for Dhoni is Sabbir was their most dangerous batsman yesterday and that stumping was killer. That dropped catch (tough one) aside I thought he did everything right. As for captaincy- I don't think Bangladesh would've been able to nearly chase it down if not for woeful Indian fielding. Bumrah was awful yesterday. I thought it was Dhoni's smart wicket keeping that won it for us.
I actually think Bumrah's last two overs were sensational and turned the screws on Bangladesh.

shabz

The thing is selecting players that the captain personally wants was the norm in Pakistan even 30 years back. The difference seems to be that where the likes of imran and Akram could spot talent, Afridi seems to be unable to

I don't think it is a talent issue with Pakistan, they are producing good talents but the temperament and decision making is non-existent. Considering they have had no players in the IPL I am surprised they managed to stay relevant in the limited overs format. Their players are miles behind other countries in terms of T20 experience which has also translated in to the ODI game as well.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Listened to England beat West Indies off the last ball, 9 down.

Meanwhile Bangladesh got trashed by Pakistan, in the televised game.

*grumble*
Incredible that two days in a row an Indian team were almost out of the tournament, if England had lost this match the Indian Women's team would have been eliminated but now they still somehow have a chance.

DOTA

Incredible that two days in a row an Indian team were almost out of the tournament, if England had lost this match the Indian Women's team would have been eliminated but now they still somehow have a chance.
Hoping they make it through. Think they're more of a threat here than the West Indies, due to better spin options.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I don't think it is a talent issue with Pakistan, they are producing good talents but the temperament and decision making is non-existent. Considering they have had no players in the IPL I am surprised they managed to stay relevant in the limited overs format. Their players are miles behind other countries in terms of T20 experience which has also translated in to the ODI game as well.
Tbh I am not so sure about the talent part anymore, I used to always believe people when they said that Pakistan has the talent but the system is poor but recently I have seen very little evidence of new talent coming up. Bangladesh doesn't have players playing in the Ipl either but they are almost every tournament throwing up new talents with good futures but I don't see a lot of new talents coming through for Pakistan especially with the bat. For ages now it's either been the really old guys or the likes of Akmal coming back again and again

shabz

Tbh I am not so sure about the talent part anymore, I used to always believe people when they said that Pakistan has the talent but the system is poor but recently I have seen very little evidence of new talent coming up. Bangladesh doesn't have players playing in the Ipl either but they are almost every tournament throwing up new talents with good futures but I don't see a lot of new talents coming through for Pakistan especially with the bat. For ages now it's either been the really old guys or the likes of Akmal coming back again and again
Bangladesh have a few players playing in the IPL this season, but I do understand your point about not seeing any players in the actual Pakistan squad. When the players aren't getting a chance to showcase their talents in other competitions, the selectors are not doing an adequate job in scouting the younger talent and would rather stick with household names which is a very flawed process. I think the PSL will be a help to the Pakistan team and if the board are smart about it they will try and give as much freedom as possible to the players to play in other T20 leagues around the world. The big one obviously is problems between India and Pakistan and if they can rectify that situation then I am certain there would be an increase in Pakistan's consistency.

Sylar

WRT Dhoni, I think the change in the last over with the fielders (putting his best ones near the boundaries) was a good choice. The bowling wasnt great, but those two catches for the two wickets before the last ball, probably gets dropped again by the less handy fielders. Jadeja and Dhawan made it look easy. Think he was a good shout as he batted to the end, his wicket keeping (bar one dropped catch) was good. His captaincy when it mattered was good (even if lucky).

Akshay

Staff
WRT Dhoni, I think the change in the last over with the fielders (putting his best ones near the boundaries) was a good choice. The bowling wasnt great, but those two catches for the two wickets before the last ball, probably gets dropped again by the less handy fielders. Jadeja and Dhawan made it look easy. Think he was a good shout as he batted to the end, his wicket keeping (bar one dropped catch) was good. His captaincy when it mattered was good (even if lucky).
How often are MoM awards given for captaincy though?