Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I wasn't a big fan of us spending big on him, he's a decent player but I think he's more akin to the likes of Demari Gray and Adoman Lookman rather than say someone like Nani who had genuine moments of being world class. If you put any of those two into that Dortmund team that scores a boat load then they too would have put up big numbers.

The one wide forward that sticks out to me as having the potential to be genuinely great is St Maximin, it's a surprise to me no one's taking a punt on him. The ability to consistently skin players and have a decent final ball would be a huge asset in a team like ours. I'd honestly bite Newcastle's hands off if we could do a trade with Sancho and St Max.
As a neutral i posted in a forum few weeks back that i think if Utd had bought Raphinha off Leeds instead of Sancho, [not for same fee necessarily], then Raphinha could have quite possibly performed better for you, than Sancho has up to this point. And conceivably been a better signing, because although his standing in the game isnt as high profile as Sancho, he is still quality IMO. Because for me, Sancho has been woeful for the money paid, and albeit its early, he's been a flop thus far. As have some of our signings for big fees. Few users gave me stick for it, if i remember rightly.

In the same way i also posted that it's entirely possible, Emmanuel Dennis off Watford would have done better for us than Lukaku, if we'd signed him instead. I simply could not understand how people couldn't see my point i was making

You know something, if Saint Max could add more goals to his game, too, then i wouldnt blame you for swapping him for Sancho. He's better at going past people than Sancho is for one.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The most annoying thing about him is that he constantly looks like he’s terrified to play out there. He’s not an inexperienced player and has played at the highest level before but he looks completely lost, hides from the ball and either passes it to the closest player or just runs straight at a defender when he gets it.

I thought this was just a temporary blip in confidence after Euros but he seems to have got worse at that.

I doubt we will have the time and willingness to build the rest of the team around him so that his average pace can be hidden a bit. At this rate we will be hoping Newcastle can give us part of the fee back next Summer or something.
I couldn't have said it better. He obviously has the skills to be performing much better more consistently. He just looks scared to try anything outrageous. Fear of failing is hurting his game

Andersons Dietician

I couldn't have said it better. He obviously has the skills to be performing much better more consistently. He just looks scared to try anything outrageous. Fear of failing is hurting his game
What do people mean when they say “try anything outrageous“?

I don’t think he’s half as bad as people are making out. Most likely people only looking at one aspect of his game and not seeing the presses or sprints back to help defend or him constantly moving in to space to recieve the ball and constantly scanning the pitch before he even receives the ball to see where he can pass next. Things not many of our other players do.

The one issue I would say is that right now what he was bought for hasn’t really been working out for him and when he’s had to play the delicate slipped ball he has failed in his execution or when trying to beat a man he has lost it sloppily.

Genuingly I’m not worried about him and think if we can get back to pressing high then he’ll be fine.

kouroux

I don’t think he’s half as bad as people are making out. Most likely people only looking at one aspect of his game and not seeing the presses or sprints back to help defend or him constantly moving in to space to recieve the ball and constantly scanning the pitch before he even receives the ball to see where he can pass next. Things not many of our other players do.
Not for me, for the price he's been bought, his defensive contribution isn't my priority to look at. I basically see nothing from him, no incisive passing, no runs, no dribbling, no powerful shots.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

While he was not good yesterday I hate it that he is always one of the first to get substituted while Ronaldo, Cavani or McTominay all stayed on the pitch despite offering nothing.
The same goes for Greenwood.

Andersons Dietician

Not for me, for the price he's been bought, his defensive contribution isn't my priority to look at. I basically see nothing from him, no incisive passing, no runs, no dribbling, no powerful shots.
If you’re waiting for powerful shots then you are probably going to be waiting a long time as he’s never ever been about that. As for the incisive passing and dribbiling it’s there in moments but nothing particularly good has come of it yet and hes nowhere near the levels he showed at Dortmund. He certainly needs to raise his level and consistency in this aspect but again I’m not that worried as to me you can see him looking for those moments but maybe just not having the type of runs or combinations he’s looking for.

Hope he certainly reaches the levels he is capable of nd can start to play more like his normal game but for me pressing and his defensive contributions also matter.

kouroux

If you’re waiting for powerful shots then you are probably going to be waiting a long time as he’s never ever been about that. As for the incisive passing and dribbiling it’s there in moments but nothing particularly good has come of it yet and hes nowhere near the levels he showed at Dortmund. He certainly needs to raise his level and consistency in this aspect but again I’m not that worried as to me you can see him looking for those moments but maybe just not having the type of runs or combinations he’s looking for.

Hope he certainly reaches the levels he is capable of nd can start to play more like his normal game but for me pressing and his defensive contributions also matter.
I share the same hopes as you do. Maybe it's part of his PL long time needed for adaptation

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm someone who didn't rate Sancho that highly at Dortmund -

Yet I'm not writing him off at United even though my expectations are low.

Greenwood is not in form.
Rashford is not in form.
Cavani isn't.
Bruno is half his usual self and many still wanted him dropped.
Maguire is not on form.
Shaw isn't.

Expecting Sancho to be on some sort of form is unrealistic.

Castia

Looks like a kid from the reserves trying to break into the first team he’s been absolutely awful.

JoaquinJoaquin

People want to spend 100 million+ on Declan Rice. Spent 75 million on Sancho and he's devoid of confidence...

Stop signing overhyped English players who aren't good enough
Declan Rice is Premier League proven though. Plus I actually think he would be very good at any of the top teams.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Think the main issue for him has been the pace and physicality of the league - he just doesn't look ready for it. It's lead to his confidence being shot.

Technique isn't the issue, but this could be one of the issues with him having developed in the Bundesliga.

RooneyLegend

The one issue I would say is that right now what he was bought for hasn’t really been working out for him and when he’s had to play the delicate slipped ball he has failed in his execution or when trying to beat a man he has lost it sloppily.

Genuingly I’m not worried about him and think if we can get back to pressing high then he’ll be fine.
Come off it, the guy has been trash, a big disappointment. Hopefully he sorts himself out so people don't have to make these sorts of posts. I keep watching his old highlights to convince myself it's coming soon.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It would be hard for anyone to look good at the moment given how disfunction the team is looking, but his performances are definitely a massive concern. At the minute it looks like he's just highlighting how poor the Bundesliga is, and that we've been sold another Kagawa.

Andersons Dietician

Come off it, the guy has been trash, a big disappointment. Hopefully he sorts himself out so people don't have to make these sorts of posts. I keep watching his old highlights to convince myself it's coming soon.
If you honestly think that then that’s your opinion. One in which I strongly disagree with and honestly find it crazy people think he’s been trash. He’s not been the player he was at Dortmund yet but he’s been far from trash.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's just getting favourable views because he's new. If it was anyone else they'd be getting slaughtered. Truth of the matter is that he's actually been a downgrade on Dan James so far.

Castia

If you honestly think that then that’s your opinion. One in which I strongly disagree with and honestly find it crazy people think he’s been trash. He’s not been the player he was at Dortmund yet but he’s been far from trash.
He’s been Dan James without the speed. He’s been terrible so far.

Will be lucky to end the season on 3-4 goals which is a complete joke.

Anustart89

Declan Rice is Premier League proven though. Plus I actually think he would be very good at any of the top teams.
So were Maguire and AWB, and look where that’s got us.

Being suited to the manager’s system is much more important than being PL proven. I mean, KdB and Salah were proven PL flops before they came back to England.

Rossa

He's just getting favourable views because he's new. If it was anyone else they'd be getting slaughtered. Truth of the matter is that he's actually been a downgrade on Dan James so far.
This is actually true. His dribbling is a much better in and around the box, I'll grant him that, but if James had played as many matches, I think his output would have been no worse. His speed would also give the opposition something to consider. With the team we fielded yesterday, there isn't much speed on the flanks, so fullbacks are not that worried about a counter. Semedo knew all day long that he only had to cover the inside because if Sancho tried to sprint on the outside, he would catch him easily. He could not afford trying the same approach with Dan James or even Rashford.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
People expected a bit more from him and too right. He was a huge signing, and he’s failed to deliver. The team is a mess, sure, but he’s obviously not the player to drag us out of it and would rather just hide in the shadows. He’s definitely going down as the biggest flop of the season if things don’t get any better soon. Teams don’t struggle with him up against them. He’s just there. Well done Ole and Ed.

Frank White

Where are you seeing these defensive duties that are apparently negating his overall terrible performance? Already said it in the Rashford thread but in a game where Rashford was considered lazy against Newcastle, Sancho against Burnley had worst defensive stats or at the very best the difference was negligible yet he's getting praised for his input, makes no sense to me.

Ixion

That break early on when he should have passed to Ronaldo....you would expect a new signing trying to fit in would want to look like a team player but he was so greedy it was a surprise.

Marwood

He has been poor, looks so nervous which I can't understand.

But until we start keeping the ball in the opposition half we'll never know for sure how good he is or isn't. He needs the ball in the final third to do his thing. Same goes for Greenwood.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is actually true. His dribbling is a much better in and around the box, I'll grant him that, but if James had played as many matches, I think his output would have been no worse. His speed would also give the opposition something to consider. With the team we fielded yesterday, there isn't much speed on the flanks, so fullbacks are not that worried about a counter. Semedo knew all day long that he only had to cover the inside because if Sancho tried to sprint on the outside, he would catch him easily. He could not afford trying the same approach with Dan James or even Rashford.
Dan James would be an infinitely better wing-back (which is where Sancho ended up last night) that’s for damn sure.

Rossa

Dan James would be an infinitely better wing-back (which is where Sancho ended up last night) that’s for damn sure.
Pretty much. I almost miss the lad. His attitude was never anything but great, and although he had his limitations, he was still useful with his pace and workrate. He's also a better option than Rashford at the moment. On paper, we were stacked up front this season, and the manager would have a hard time keeping players out of the team. As it is, it is damn near impossible to find a starting 11 that will be useful and/or consistent.

Betson

Still has time to come good but lets be honest , just say he was a youth player who was promoted to the fist team this season and if gave the same performance level we are seeing from him , we would be saying he is not ready for the top premiership level and needs to to go out on loan for a while.

I think there is a reason other clubs were interested but thought we were crazy to stump up the kind of money Dortmund were asking.

Also worth noteing Guardiola who knows him better than most was never interested in taking him back there.

I think he is a decent player and given time will be a good addition to the squad but nowhere near the game changer many on here were expecting.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Biggest worry for me is that he takes so many heavy touches for a player who's main strength is meant to be his technical ability. Hopefully just a confidence thing.

sillwuka

I understand that it may take time for Sancho to adapt to the pace of the league.

I expected more from him in possession with slick passing but he's so sloppy. Another concern is him constantly dribbling into defenders legs and losing the ball.

captaincantona

Biggest worry for me is that he takes so many heavy touches for a player who's main strength is meant to be his technical ability. Hopefully just a confidence thing.
Agreed. His close control was supposed to be the key to us being able to work in tighter spaces. He looks sloppy.

JoaquinJoaquin

So were Maguire and AWB, and look where that’s got us.

Being suited to the manager’s system is much more important than being PL proven. I mean, KdB and Salah were proven PL flops before they came back to England.
Rice is a much better player than both of those though, as much as it is hard to compare. He would improve every team in the league.

Hester_manc

He reminds me of Memphis Depay, when he was in United. A lot of talent, but trying too hard and no end product.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The biggest issue is something he can’t fix. Lacks pace and acceleration.

Water Melon

The guy obviously has a lot of talent, but the prem is much faster and tighter than the Bundesliga. Having quite limited fullbacks and fairly static CFs does not help much either. We look extremely undercoached in our team play.

AndySmith1990

Rice is a much better player than both of those though, as much as it is hard to compare. He would improve every team in the league.
Isn't this said every time we sign a player? Sancho was the answer to our right wing. Varane was going to complete our defense. Ronaldo was going to complete our attack. When we bought Pogba he was going to massively improve our midfield.

Not a single player would significantly improve this team. The team is a shambles and anyone coming in to it right now would slowly get pulled down to the same level as the rest of them until their confidence is shot to pieces.

I honestly believe we need to be incredibly prudent and savy with our money and buy several cheaper, lesser known players who all fit a system and compliment each other, rather than blowing the entire budget on one or two £70m players.

Signing Rice, in my honest opinion, would be a terrible mistake right now

superdry

touched by a genius
The biggest issue is something he can’t fix. Lacks pace and acceleration.
I agree, pace is everything in the position he plays, how can that be missed when we watched him for a long time before we bought him, its as though we just followed the media.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I agree, pace is everything in the position he plays, how can that be missed when we watched him for a long time before we bought him, its as though we just followed the media.
He looked fast enough in Germany, but the game is just quicker and more aggressive here. Our scouts need to do a better job at assessing who can cope with that. It’s not a problem for certain clubs so it shouldn’t be an issue here either.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He seems to be obsessed with trying to pass the ball through a defenders legs - lost count of the number of times he's tried this in the past few matches.

Thought he'd kick on after a good few games in November/December but he was really bad yesterday. As some have mentioned, the system isn't helping though

Bestietom

I'm someone who didn't rate Sancho that highly at Dortmund -

Yet I'm not writing him off at United even though my expectations are low.

Greenwood is not in form.
Rashford is not in form.
Cavani isn't.
Bruno is half his usual self and many still wanted him dropped.
Maguire is not on form.
Shaw isn't.

Expecting Sancho to be on some sort of form is unrealistic.
There has to be a reason behind all these players being "out of form" at the same time. Really think there is something rotten going on in this club.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Fair enough, but I am not sure if I would single-out Sancho today, as the worst. At the end of the day, it is Ronaldo and Cavani's job to finish goals and they simply haven't been doing it. Sure, we have problems in midfield, but the fact that world-class Cavani and GOAT Ronaldo are not clinical in finishing, it our #1 problem right now, if we are honest about it. Had we scored enough goals today and on Sunday, we'd have won both matches. Simple as that
Cavani and Ronnie's fault Sancho is playing like crap because they don't finish (non-existing) chances :lol:

Just when you thought you've read it all...

Status
Not open for further replies.