5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

My issue with him is when you watch him play, you ask yourself what is he trying to achieve. He literally looks like the footballer that is a multimillionaire and has nothing left to prove.

Players are motivated by competition for places, goal records, status, a new contract, awards, titles etc, with Sancho I see nothing that moves him. He comes on and seems like he's happy to just do the bare minimum. He's fine getting a few touches and passing inside the fullback, that's a good day at the office for him.

For all the flak I give Antony, you can see he wants it as do Garnacho and Rashford. Sancho no matter how important the game is for the team or himself on a personal level will never play beyond the third gear and that's being generous.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Sancho is the second highest paid player at United with an eye watering salary of over 18m per year. Its only a matter of time before players who are actually performing for the team would ask that salary, something united can't afford due to many reasons. Unless he starts performing now then he should be sold

In Rainbows

He needs to improve on his final ball which is not great and should be his main strength.
I actually like his final ball. He has great decision making. A lot of others mess up what seems simple. His pass to Pellistri is an example, it's just a shame Pellistri couldn't control the ball. I've seen so many of our attacks end up with an awful pass/decision because they couldn't properly execute what we all can see is the correct final third decision.

I think the problem is he doesn't necessarily find himself in those opportunities as often because he doesn't have the mentality to want to cause things to happen. That could also be because he doesn't get to play much. For minutes and production comparison, he only has 1250 minutes with 5 goals and 1 assist (2.7 xAG in PL/Europa) in all competitioins. Antony has 2000 minutes with 7 goals and 1 assist (1.1 xAG in PL/Europa)*. That's 8 full matches with a 30 min sub appearance extra he would have to catch up to those stats.

*Reminder that Antony also provides more workrate

Last edited:

NoPace

Weird winger because his best attribute is how well he retains the ball then creates sort of lower quality chances for the guys near him to create something, be it a LB crossing or a CM shooting from 25 yards.

Kaizane

I wonder if there's a plan with Sancho and Anthony. Two very similar players. Neither wingers nor 10s, and both more inside-forwards, capable of creating both width and playing narrow in the half spaces between the wings and centre. Neither of them will ever beat a man for explosive pace from a standing start. That's never been their game, never will be. Ten Hag already knew this about Antony, so it makes me wonder if next year and after another transfer window he has a plan?

In order to get the best out of Sancho and Antony, he'll need more balance in the midfield and the right signing in the mould of a FDJ or similar, next to Casemiro, who would provide the control needed to bring out the best in Sancho and Antony. They would come alive in a team who control games at their own pace. But this does ask the question of what to do with Rashford and Bruno. Both right now are enjoying the more frantic and fast style of build up play. This might mean next year we see Rashford play more permanently in the centre. His finishing is massively improved, he makes smart runs that breaks lines as good as any forward, and Ten hag has already flirted with him in the centre. But it does beg the question - what to do with Bruno if Ten Hag does want more control? Maybe nothing because maybe Ten Hag will want a squad who can play both fast and slow. Maybe Bruno will adapt his game because he's an excellent footballer. Maybe Bruno will play less games next year. That could be a good thing. I honestly don't know how he plays twice a week at the intensity he does for the past how many seasons now?

All theory, anyway. Though, what is clear to me is it's not sustainable to play the way we have been playing over the course of a season. The team looks properly gassed right now. Ten hag is smart enough to know that too, and two or three signings won't change that. He'll need more control if he's to build on solid sustainable foundations and I think Antony, Sancho and the mystery midfielder will all be pivotal to that in our next evolution.

jesperjaap

I actually thought he looked good when he came on, was holding the ball well and keeping defenders busy.

The weird thing with him here so far is even when lookign good last night, he doesnt seem to be creating anything, quite the opposite of his time at Doertmund.

There is a quality player there obviously, but there also is with Garnacho, Pellestri, Rashford, Antony....we have very talented options on the wings now....and half of them are on nowehere near the salary he is on.

Not saying the moment is now as I would still rather give him another season, but with those options, you do have to ask in terms of future planning and seelable assets....in terms of his probably value and performances here, he is not far away from being the top one if he doesnt start to make more of his oppportunities

Oranges038

I’m all for giving him a run at 10 if we are going to try Bruno deeper.
I think he'd probably operate better as a ten, but he'd need time to really settle into that role. Don't think he'll get it.

He's a bit like Mata in that he's got good feet, good passing and vision. But just doesn't seem to have the pace or strength to be a winger. He tends to slow down and put his foot on the ball waiting for others to make a move to create an opening. Which is maybe fine if you have an overlapping fullback who is going to take the space around you and create an opportunity to play them in on the outside. Malacia did it a couple of times last night.

I think wingers just need to have that initial burst of pace to take advantage of the stopped defenders themselves if they are going to do that, he doesn't have it. At 10, he would have more runners and more passing options to pick out either side of him.

That being said, a midfield 3 of him, Bruno and Casemeiro probably wouldn't work.

Lee565

The concerning thing about him is you often watch games and forget he is playing until halfway through the second half for some random reason

croadyman

The concerning thing about him is you often watch games and forget he is playing until halfway through the second half for some random reason
Yeah he's not ripping it up like at Dortmund,having said that I don't want to give up on him either

united for life

My issue with him is when you watch him play, you ask yourself what is he trying to achieve. He literally looks like the footballer that is a multimillionaire and has nothing left to prove.

Players are motivated by competition for places, goal records, status, a new contract, awards, titles etc, with Sancho I see nothing that moves him. He comes on and seems like he's happy to just do the bare minimum. He's fine getting a few touches and passing inside the fullback, that's a good day at the office for him.

For all the flak I give Antony, you can see he wants it as do Garnacho and Rashford. Sancho no matter how important the game is for the team or himself on a personal level will never play beyond the third gear and that's being generous.
rashford, garnacho and antony all have a style of play. Even if the style needs refining (especially in Antony’s case), you would know what they contribute. Sancho has nothing, or is failing to show his game. I agree he is frustrating when it comes to his level of urgency. Against Betis, he seemed confused every time he gets the ball. Lack of options, unsafe. Is he that bad? I don’t think so: i rarely watched him before joining us but his numbers don’t lie. He was a massive player for Dortmund. In analogy to Marcus, could he be witnessing a poor run of form due to lack of confidence? For him, a young footballer, moved to a big club for a massive sum of money, a struggling club that didn’t help him settle in, change in managers, poor dressing room atmosphere in prior year, bring dropped (rightly) from the England squad. Could all of this have impacted his confidence?

The good thing now is that ETH is a manager who takes decisions. He’ll support the player and try to up his game (rashford and shaw are great examples). Alternatively, he’ll drop (possibly offload) the player (Maguire is a good example).

i hope in sancho’s case, he does get things together and improve

AneRu

I actually thought he looked good when he came on, was holding the ball well and keeping defenders busy.

The weird thing with him here so far is even when lookign good last night, he doesnt seem to be creating anything, quite the opposite of his time at Doertmund.

There is a quality player there obviously, but there also is with Garnacho, Pellestri, Rashford, Antony....we have very talented options on the wings now....and half of them are on nowehere near the salary he is on.

Not saying the moment is now as I would still rather give him another season, but with those options, you do have to ask in terms of future planning and seelable assets....in terms of his probably value and performances here, he is not far away from being the top one if he doesnt start to make more of his oppportunities
A shrewd management team sells him in the coming summer, we have seen enough to know that he is not going to be the player we thought he'd be in this league. There is Newcastle, who haven't done enough to attract top top players and still looking for that start signing who could be interested and if they are, just sell him.

The LW is covered with Garnacho and Rashford and we need funds for FFP purposes. We need a big signing for the striker and CM positions which are going to cost the best part of £200m. If someone comes in with £50m or something just shy of it let him go. He doesnt have the physicality and the hunger needed in this league.

The risk, if we keep him hoping that he will improve, is that by this time next season it will be apparent that he is a flop and his value will fall further considering his wages. We should be ruthless, if he does a Rashford turnaround here I'd be happy to eat my words but I don't see it.

GMoore23

That's it with Sancho. He's just too satisfied with himself. Get rid in the summer.

Drizzle

A shrewd management team sells him in the coming summer, we have seen enough to know that he is not going to be the player we thought he'd be in this league. There is Newcastle, who haven't done enough to attract top top players and still looking for that start signing who could be interested and if they are, just sell him.

The LW is covered with Garnacho and Rashford and we need funds for FFP purposes. We need a big signing for the striker and CM positions which are going to cost the best part of £200m. If someone comes in with £50m or something just shy of it let him go. He doesnt have the physicality and the hunger needed in this league.

The risk, if we keep him hoping that he will improve, is that by this time next season it will be apparent that he is a flop and his value will fall further considering his wages. We should be ruthless, if he does a Rashford turnaround here I'd be happy to eat my words but I don't see it.
I agree. I've seen enough to know he's probably not got the character or skillset to thrive at United.

His technique is excellent but he never ever imposes himself on games. Even his best games for us were moments or short spells in matches. That's fine if you're a youth prospect like Garnacho but this lad cost £73m. He absolutely needs to be bossing games, or being a key part of a setup that bosses games. And he's nowhere near that.

He also lacks pace, strength and tenacity so if he's not killing the opposition with his technique (and he very rarely is) then he's a liability.

Sell now when we may get £40m+ for him and reinvest in a Ten Hag type of player who has pace and a winning mentality.

Caveat - of course I hope I'm wrong. I'd love it if he became a big player for us by the end of this season. At his best he's a, lovely player to watch.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Just sell. He hasnt had a single 90 min top performance. If ten hag cant improve him then i doubt anyone else can.

crossy1686

career ending
Been worse than Antony but Antony seems to get all the shit and Sancho gets a free pass. Maybe it's because of the mental issues he had this season or because he's English, either way, he's been right up there with Kagawa in regards to Dortmund flops.

Bondi77

Looks like his break did not involve any high intensity training so I cannot see him being anymore than a squad player which is a shame.

crossy1686

career ending
Looks like his break did not involve any high intensity training so I cannot see him being anymore than a squad player which is a shame.
This is why I think he won't make it. You look at the players Ten Hag brought in, tenacious, high intensity, hard working. Even if they're raw, you can see the fight in them, they keep going regardless, they're prepared to suffer. Sancho just doesn't have the mindset for winning things, he just seem's, for lack of a better word, too 'soft' to put himself on the line week in, week out.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Am I right in saying most of his time at Dortmund was spent playing with Hakimi as his fullback?

Bondi77

Cheers. Just trying to figure out if it's a fullback thing as to why he's looked so indecisive when playing for us.
It is in a way but it is the fullback that is in front of him and not behind him that is the issue.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The German league clearly isn't that good at the moment. Havertz, Werner and Sancho were among the top players over there.

markbrennan

Seems like we have being had again by Dortmund with the help of Rio Ferdinand and own hargreaves who where constantly calling him a generational talent and putting pressure on United to buy him. I think these two clowns only watched his highlights rather than watching him week in week out. Same as Ferdinand screaming for Ollie to be given the job when most of us deep down knew it was never going to work. Obiviosly we need better scouting and stop buying hyped up players.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I’ve read a lot of y’all’s posts and here’s an opinion, unpopular it may be;

How about we keep Sancho and slowly transition him into a 10 and eventually phase out Bruno.

I just think that at his age and with a manager like ETH, the upside of keeping him for potentially another decade is huge.

In some ways you build the team around him as a 10 and let him run the game.

His close control is quite good and if given the right support system and trust, he can help keep possession in tight spaces and run the game more intricately. Bruno won’t last forever in the possession based system that ETH is trying to get to eventually cuz he’s just too sporadic sometimes. Sancho, if coached well, can be disciplined to become a more organized 10 that doesn’t need to do sporadic things and rather help us keep possession in the final third or even oppo half for starters.

Some of the skills he has will also allow him to fool players and when drifting to a wing or forward, can also take on solo missions and score goals instead of assisting all the time.

crossy1686

career ending

How about we keep Sancho and slowly transition him into a 10 and eventually phase out Bruno.

I just think that at his age and with a manager like ETH, the upside of keeping him for potentially another decade is huge.

His close control is quite good and if given the right support system and trust, he can help keep possession in tight spaces and run the game more intricately. Bruno won’t last forever in the possession based system that ETH is trying to get to eventually cuz he’s just too sporadic sometimes. Sancho, if coached well, can be disciplined to become a more organized 10 that doesn’t need to do sporadic things and rather help us keep possession in the final third or even oppo half for starters.

Some of the skills he has will also allow him to fool players and when drifting to a wing or forward, can also take on solo missions and score goals instead of assisting all the time.
It’s a nice idea but he’s not shown at any point he has the mental qualities to succeed at this level. We’ve had many luxury players over the years and most of them never realise their potential because they’re not made of the right stuff.

You look at our squad now and we’ve been improved with players that are willing to fight until the final whistle and then some, Sancho hasn’t improved us because he’s another silky but toothless player.

There might be a place for him, but why force it when we can cash in and get someone more dogged and also skilful? Sometimes you’ve just got to bite the bullet. We wouldn’t even miss him, it would be one of those transfers we’d forget about in a couple of seasons.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

We have no time to shoehorn Sancho as number 10.

We need a genuine number 10, with both Sancho and Bruno skillset. Calm on the ball, can press, can run, can recycle the ball, can give final pass, has the needed aggression + physicality

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'd see if Dortmund are interested in some kind of swap deal for Bellingham
I don't think that would be clever. Bellingham is a) no fit for a possession oriented team and b) Bellingham IMO doesn't even come close to the level Sancho displayed at Dortmund.

I'd give Ten Hag a bit of time, Sancho showed really promising performances under him (and under Rangnick as well by the way). There's an unreal player in there, you just need to unlock it.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Why would we phase out a talented player with endless stamina and work rate for someone who looks exhausted after 20 minutes?
And that’s before we even consider anything else (impact both players had so far, availability, mentality, etc.).

Erics_Collar

The Pillsbury Doughboy can feck right off. I've never seen a more pathetic, lethargic loser pull on the shirt for United. He's a conman, getting paid hundreds of thousands per week to waddle around the pitch out of breath after 30 minutes.

Based Adnan

Too soft. Bags of talent but lack of energy/intensity makes him unsuitable for the prem. Should be behind Garnacho and Pellistri.

AshRK

I am being done with him. Such a pointless footballer. He is so passive that he feels his legs will burst if he touches the ball. Zero efforts zero skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.