Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A colossal waste of money. There’s a good player in there but his lack of intensity won’t cut it. Even his ‘okay’ games people grasp onto and say he’s played well when in reality it’s no different to any average winger in the league

marktan

A colossal waste of money. There’s a good player in there but his lack of intensity won’t cut it. Even his ‘okay’ games people grasp onto and say he’s played well when in reality it’s no different to any average winger in the league
I said at the time it's just an issue of price tag, his stats were made a lot better by a combination of a super attacking Dortmund team (goals wise) and a defensively poor Bundesliga. I compared him to Lookman and Demari Gray - got some stick for that but I still think he's closer to that level than say someone like Mane. If it was £35m instead of £70m I think it'd have been more palpable.

MUFC OK

Yeah, he’s a flop. Average player.

Painful watching a £72m player have almost zero influence on games. Sad to see.

Devil81

As fans we can be forgiven for making the odd mistake on a players ability based on their form in another league. Sancho was ripping the Bundesliga too pieces after all.

Our scouts and manager (Ole) don't get the same luxury of being forgiven. They should have known all there was to be known about him before spending that figure.

One alarming thing that keeps getting pointed out by a few of my City supporting workmates, where was the competition for his signature?

We had a two year free run at signing him, nobody other than United showed a single bit of interest.

Personally don't think he has the fire or drive, I hope I'm wrong but I see all the hallmarks of a player who is happy picking up his mega paycheck without being dedicated and willing to put his body on the line.

In Rainbows

Thought he was good in the first half. faded in the second. Decent overall

thread will be full of hyperbole cause he’s now unfortunately marked as a scapegoat
That's how I saw it. Best of a bad bunch. Nothing amazing. Decent.

wangyu

Play him in the center when Eriksen isn't fit, he is a neat short passer. It's bad for the money he costs but he might be more useful there...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Play him in the center when Eriksen isn't fit, he is a neat short passer. It's bad for the money he costs but he might be more useful there...
Don't think Eriksen gets enough credit for his work ethic and his intensity, these are things Sancho simply doesn't have. He'll go missing for large portions of the game.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Personally don't think he has the fire or drive, I hope I'm wrong but I see all the hallmarks of a player who is happy picking up his mega paycheck without being dedicated and willing to put his body on the line.
He's a a shrinking violet in this environment as they say. Playing for United involves a certain kind of personality. This is why I always had a bit of time for a Fellaini because the jersey never weighed heavily on his shoulders.

Ibi Dreams

He's had a few nice goals but I am worried a bit about him. He still hasn't really had a standout game, which you would sort of expect from a £70m signing. He just hasn't impacted games enough for me, he has moments but he's not convincing over 90 minutes

He is still very young, I just expected more after he did so well at Dortmund

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
His supposed technical ability only comes alive in the box. He needs martial to link in close quarters.

Frustrating seeing a player dominate in another league but needs a tailor made game plan to do well here.

I still have faith because his composure in the box is high level. I've given up with him being a winger beating players or crossing though.

It's all a let down knowing we chased him for 2 years only to see that physically he's a below average top 6 forward.

OmarUnited4ever

My issue with him is that he is to defend against, I admit Trippier is a good player but he's not an elite defensively so I was hoping Sancho to mix it up a bit and have a go at him more.

Sancho wasn't really that bad as some people say here but I wanted him to mix it up, despite the fact that he gets into good areas and is sometimes 1v1 with his man, he doesn't cut inside and shoot, get to the byline and cross and run at the defenders more, which makes it easier to defend against him and nullify his threat.

Betson

He started off ok and looked like he might be really up for it but as the game went on he got more and anonymous to the stage I was wondering had my stream missed his substitution. He is not a difference maker , he is quite average and looks no more than a squad player and that is disappointing considering the time and money we spent trying to sign him.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Wouldnt mind if hes sold in the summer. We're kinda seeing why City let him go now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I really think the balance is totally screwed up since Ronadlo came in. You could see how much Greenwood Bruno and the super lazy Rashford dropped off in intensity and creativity since he came in and I think Sancho is suffering the same fate. The opposition just repeatedly pack the middle of the box marking Ronaldo out of it and he’s not physical enough anymore to bully the centre backs and move them around to create spaces or creative and industrious enough to provide assists. He also doesn't press with any intensity. It’s a total shitshow. I bet Sancho looks better when a fit Martial or another decent striker in their prime slots back in there. Martial can at least play a creative game.

Last edited:

ZainCRse7en

Why is he so bad at beating his man 1v1? Definitely has all the skills and tools so I believe its a confidence/mental issue?

croadyman

Maybe he gets a penalty for that challenge if he doesn't do that ridiculous fall trying to fool ref

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His physical maturing / intensity or lack there of will be the making or breaking of him. He's got technical quality in a abundance but he's simply not able to show it as I think the physicality of the PL has gotten into his head.

For example you see Mane, Salah or even our own Martial when he's in form and they don't mind receiving the ball under pressure with a defender chomping at their ankles from the back as they can use it to turn them. In Sancho I see a player who is afraid of contact and afraid of a physical confrontation. Only if he is up for that challenge will he be able to do what he does best - open teams up and create chances galore in tight spaces.

I was a big fan of this signing and at times he's looked classy as feck. But it's becoming clear that hes shirking from the physicality of the PL. Hope he overcomes it.

I'm not sure how we manage to keep signing players with mentality issues. Sir Alex said this was something he gave huge importance. Yet we seem to accumulate players who struggle with pressure and intensity. Hope Sancho is able to as I still think he's a huge talent.

Lentwood

Sancho has definitely underwhelmed at times but I saw an improvement yesterday.

First of all, he's not a flying winger. People need to get that idea out of their head because if you want to see him beating three players on the outside and whipping crosses in, you're forever going to be let down.

He is far more of a technical player who wants to play little cute passes and quick one-two's around the box. His touch is very good and so are his feet and weight of pass. He's also by far the best wide-player we have when it comes to playing the "underlapped" passes that are a feature of modern attacking football (the one were the full back runs inside the wide forward, not outside). I feel the partnership with him and Shaw could really blossom, given time and hard-work

I also noticed yesterday that there was definitely an intensity to his defending that has been missing. I saw him sprinting to make tackles and get out to the opposition full back at speed to prevent crosses. All basic stuff, but stuff him and Rashford weren't doing previously.

I actually feel in-time he will become a fantastic #10, although we don't have to pigeon-hole him as that in the modern game.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Maybe he gets a penalty for that challenge if he doesn't do that ridiculous fall trying to fool ref
In the clasico today, the game was stopped to review the penalty call and was then eventually given. That call to not award us a penalty is totally on the incompetent referee.

JoaquinJoaquin

Massive disappointment this guy. Getting to the point where I'd rather see Garnacho get given his minutes.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I was thinking we should 'rest' Bruno for the next Europa league game and try Sancho as a kind of 10 behind the striker. He's not quick enough to be a winger, but he is tidy in possession and he is a good finisher. I think he could be a very good number 10.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws though?

Bwuk

Massive disappointment this guy. Getting to the point where I'd rather see Garnacho get given his minutes.
I'm heading the same way. I feel like Garnacho would likely score more goals and we struggle in that area massively.

RaulitoElCrack

He has the technical attributes to be a top player but unfortunatley he currently lacks the mentality, drive and ambition to get there.

Too often goes for the easy, comfortable option. Clearly is a confidence player but I have noticed if he drives against a full back and loses the battle once he loses confidence and chooses the safe option for the rest of the game.

I saw Foden yesterday get smashed by Gomez and then Milner but he got up straight away and next time he got the ball he was driving at them again and again.

I dont think he will make it here unless he does something like Malouda did at Chelsea. He was weak and easily bullied in his first season but turned into a warrior second season and beyond. Sancho needs that aggressive attitude and intensity....look at Bernardo Silva yesterday and david silva in times before. Pep has clearly shown these technical players with slighter frames can compete physically with the right mentality.

Grande

My issue with him is that he is to defend against, I admit Trippier is a good player but he's not an elite defensively so I was hoping Sancho to mix it up a bit and have a go at him more.

Sancho wasn't really that bad as some people say here but I wanted him to mix it up, despite the fact that he gets into good areas and is sometimes 1v1 with his man, he doesn't cut inside and shoot, get to the byline and cross and run at the defenders more, which makes it easier to defend against him and nullify his threat.
Inthink yesterday was a good display of what a stage of development he is at right now, and anyone regarding that performance as all good or all bad is missing pert of the picture.

I think your point about mixing it is a good one, I also think the view that he is no Maradona who can lift any team, he is more like a Pablo Aimar who has special skills who can be key in the right setup. And that he has to build the confidence to apply himself regardless of the opposition.

Yesterday, he was for me our only dangerous player in the first half. Our system worked well for parts of the first half, but quite a few players were under par that half when we had the ball. Sancho did well then to produce outlets, play out of pressure, counter, and he showed his most lethal strengths: He can control the ball in a yard of space and combine with someone like Shaw or even Fred to get inside the box, and strike a measured opening pass or shoot. Had Ronaldo been a step ahead instead of behind, Bruno been a bit more collected or Fred not been so Fred, we could have gone to the break with a two goal lead despite most players being subpar, because of the system works better and Sancho actually played on the front foot.

The second half, other players improved, probably helped that the system works well enough now that Newcastle was exausted and our players got a little bit more space. This is when I would hve wanted Sancho to shine, but he fell off instead, and became much more passive. Antony had the opposite trajectory in the game. Even so, I think Sancho did enough to earn us a stonewall penalty, which we’d have gotten if not his fear of violence made him fall som unnaturally as to confuse both referee and VAR.

The thing with me about Sancho is, that when you see his skills, it certainly becomes evident that with just a marginal improvement, he can go from five assists a season to 20 assists a season. He’s like a shy samurai, if he finds out how to go unlock his weapon, he can be lethal.

Frustratingly, we have a a few other players you could say the same about in Rashford and Martial.

poleglass red

seems a bit too lightweight for me, easily pushed of the ball. His lack of pace tends to slow us down as he always wants to stop instead of taking his man on

lex talionis

I share the frustration of most posters here. What I would like to see at least for one game Sancho in the Bruno role in the middle and Martial up top.

No, I’m not going to shit all over Ronaldo and Bruno, who do work hard, but a front four Rashford, Sancho, Antony and Martial with Sancho pulling the strings either left or right could be quite interesting.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
A proactive club would look to sell in the summer unless there’s a dramatic uptick.

wangyu

I was thinking we should 'rest' Bruno for the next Europa league game and try Sancho as a kind of 10 behind the striker. He's not quick enough to be a winger, but he is tidy in possession and he is a good finisher. I think he could be a very good number 10.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws though?
I’m almost certain he will be better off in the center. But nothing points at this happening in the near future.

cybertej29

This thread is a massive hyperbole. Yes, he can be frustrating at times but we look better as a team with him in the side. The productivity will come, I'm positive. The only concern I have is he tends to drift out of games post 60min, maybe its a fitness / mental issue?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yeah, he’s a flop. Average player.

Painful watching a £72m player have almost zero influence on games. Sad to see.
If he doesn't start putting in performances, he will be our Pepe. A very expensive player who isn't able to replicate the performances from a weaker league in a stronger league.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
This thread is a massive hyperbole. Yes, he can be frustrating at times but we look better as a team with him in the side. The productivity will come, I'm positive. The only concern I have is he tends to drift out of games post 60min, maybe its a fitness / mental issue?
Sounds silly, but he isn't an athlete. Strikes me as a player who spent no time in the gym but a lot of time on the pitch. Not a bad thing but feel he's always been better technically for his year group so got by. Now he is playing with athletes, they can negate his dribbling and shut him down.

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
Did Sancho have a better first season at United than Dan James? Genuine question.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He needs to be used how Mata was used at Valencia - a playmaker who distributes the ball from semi-wide positions. He is a bit lightweight and lacks aggression to play behind the ST. He also does not have the pace or the trickery to run the wings. No issues as a competent LB/RB can provide the width.

Red00012

He would have got a penalty yesterday if he hadn’t dived like he’d been shot

Stacks

I disagree that we look better with him in. I feel Rashford provides more threat down that side or anyone can really. He doesn't give defences much to worry about. Why are you positive the productivity will come? I feel maybe if we put him through 1v1 3 times a game he might do something

Luka Mora

And he’s still got the same amount as goals as Nunez.
Nunez first season and they can be both considered flops.

Saying that I was impressed with his general play yesterday definitely more sharp and concise with his play and looked like a player with a point to prove

Status
Not open for further replies.