5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank White

he had an average season. one season. at a shit show of a club.

“fans have been very patient”
He's been great throughout pre-season but I'm sorry nothing about last year was average, well maybe average by Burnley standard but not by United standard at least. Don't think I'm exaggerating by saying you could count on one hand where he was good in the league.

UDontMessWith24

How?

The only thing that is crazy is perhaps that average is being complimentary to what he produced. It took him forever to get going and the output really wasn't there as an attacking player. There's plenty of mitigation but let's not hold that up as a good season for a United forward.
What a strange definition of “forever”

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
People are getting way to carried away with pre season, its slightly embarrassing.
Yeah, that’s the embarrassing thing here. Taking joy from football. Nice one.

Robbie Boy

People are getting way to carried away with pre season, its slightly embarrassing.
Tell me about it, cringe monsters, the lot of 'em!

I, for one, want constant negativity and not to take any positives from a promising pre-season.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He’s pretty much flawless, technically. He can play left or right wing but I think he could also play as a spare 8 or a 10 in an ultra technical side (like David/Bernardo Silva). There are a lot more possibilities for good players when they have a proper coach.

mu4c_20le

That was from the athletic article, I wish I had that level of literary talent. It also noted how he had been working hard in training to make the adjustments coming from the slower paced bundesliga.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
That was from the athletic article, I wish I had that level of literary talent. It also noted how he had been working hard in training to make the adjustments coming from the slower paced bundesliga.
He was shocked at the pace of a game against Steve Bruce's Newcastle? That's so dumb it must be a misunderstanding. If anything he would have been shocked at the lack of pace. "Get used to it", he was told ..

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah. This is just the level he showed since he was 18 at Dortmund and any time he's played for a team that isn't coached terribly (i.e, not England or United)

Robbie Boy

Sounds spurious, at best. Against fecking Newcastle? Managed by none other than Steve Bruce.

I'm sure he never had such a high tempo game before, for England or Dortmund.

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

He is absolutely incredible to watch when he is in a half decent team. He just does beautiful things with a football and makes it look absolutely effortless.

I think he is our best player personally.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was shocked at the pace of a game against Steve Bruce's Newcastle? That's so dumb it must be a misunderstanding. If anything he would have been shocked at the lack of pace. "Get used to it", he was told ..
They didn't call them the Brucey Babes for nothing

mu4c_20le

We were chasing the game for a bit, it was end to end

Robbie Boy

We were chasing the game for a bit, it was end to end
You should post up highlights of some of the high scoring games he was involved in, with Dortmund. I'm guessing they would look far more frantic and high tempo than that ffs. You know that the quote is spurious af.

mu4c_20le

You should post up highlights of some of the high scoring games he was involved in, with Dortmund. I'm guessing they would look far more frantic and high tempo than that ffs. You know that the quote is spurious af.
Actually the article mentioned that too but the competition overall is lower.

The counter at 1:14 sums it up basically.

Robbie Boy

Actually the article mentioned that too but the competition overall is lower.

The counter at 1:14 sums it up basically.
I'm sorry, I just find it incredible that a player with over 100 games for Dortmund under his belt would say such a thing, after a match against a Steve Bruce led Newcastle. Newcastle had 35% possession in the match! I think your choosing to believe it, because Ole...

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

I'm sorry, I just find it incredible that a player with over 100 games for Dortmund under his belt would say such a thing, after a match against a Steve Bruce led Newcastle. Newcastle had 35% possession in the match! I think your choosing to believe it, because Ole...
:lol: Isn't it the other way around? You choose not to believe a specific part of Laurie Whitwell's article because it doesn't fit your narrative of ole being clueless.

Robbie Boy

:lol: Isn't it the other way around? You choose not to believe a specific part of Laurie Whitwell's article because it doesn't fit your narrative of ole being clueless.
Tbh mate, I don't really believe a whole lot of football related stories, as the overwhelming majority are nothing more than clickbait.

The majority would agree that Ole's handling of Sancho was questionable, at best. But, you choose to believe an extremely spurious article about a match in which Newcastle had 35% possession. I'm just going to go out on a whim and say, it's absolute bollox. You can keep spinning things to paint Ole in a better light, but he was a-bit crap, and deep down you know it.

mu4c_20le

Tbh mate, I don't really believe a whole lot of football related stories, as the overwhelming majority are nothing more than clickbait.

The majority would agree that Ole's handling of Sancho was questionable, at best. But, you choose to believe an extremely spurious article about a match in which Newcastle had 35% possession. I'm just going to go out on a whim and say, it's absolute bollox. You can keep spinning things to paint Ole in a better light, but he was a-bit crap, and deep down you know it.
It's the same article that was talking about him training at wing back, which you had zero problem believing and laughing at, so...

Robbie Boy

It's the same article that was talking about him training at wing back, which you had zero problem believing and laughing at, so...
Erm what? I didn't believe that article :lol: :lol:

Surely my post was taking the piss out of such a fecking ridiculous headline.

Olecurls99

I think a lot of credits has to go to Dalot for helping unlock current Sancho. Players like him need players around him to link up with and open up options and Dalot has been that for Sancho on that right side. It was extremely hard for Sancho to execute anything playing with AWB because the latter was a black hole offensively and wasn't providing options for Sancho going forward.

And of course, most of the credits also has to go to Ten Hag for allowing us to attack in numbers thus creating more options for any of our forwards to link up with. We regularly had 5 bodies inside and around the box when attacking, loads of options for anyone on the ball to look at. Whereas before forward players would find themselves isolated and needing to do something spectacular to create anything or not get dispossessed.
Spot on. Crucial to have a progressive coach who let's us get bodies around the box to support attacks. Ole's biggest flaw was that he was far too cautious.

I love the way he sat the keeper down for his goal.

Last edited:

Listar

Am I the only one that things Sancho is our best player and we have a gem here?

Abraxas

he had an average season. one season. at a shit show of a club.

“fans have been very patient”
Yes, they've been patient. Even during preseason people are going OTT and last season is rarely called out for what it was. Average is probably generous, it was incredibly disappointing for the reputation he has.

My wider point is he has this Kagawa like following that was desperate to see good in everything, probably because he's technical and pleasing to watch. There were some pleasing signs last season and yes he looks good on the eye but the actual production and some of the limp showings were well below par. He needs a massive season to start earning some of these plaudits.

bosnian_red

Yes, they've been patient. Even during preseason people are going OTT and last season is rarely called out for what it was. Average is probably generous, it was incredibly disappointing for the reputation he has.

My wider point is he has this Kagawa like following that was desperate to see good in everything, probably because he's technical and pleasing to watch. There were some pleasing signs last season and yes he looks good on the eye but the actual production and some of the limp showings were well below par. He needs a massive season to start earning some of these plaudits.
Last season is irrelevant to talk about for pretty much all of our players on a "what can they do" level. Nobody could have performed in that mess last year. There is nothing to take from talking about it, because they could do nothing about it essentially. Such was our mess.

Abraxas

Last season is irrelevant to talk about for pretty much all of our players on a "what can they do" level. Nobody could have performed in that mess last year. There is nothing to take from talking about it, because they could do nothing about it essentially. Such was our mess.
It's not irrelevant. It happened, and it was awful. They're all jointly responsible for that, he's no different to the rest except to state that it was a tough transition which offers some explanation. To state the players could do nothing about it is strange, they are the only ones that could truly do something about it.

I'm not saying it means he can't do this or that or lacks ability, but it shouldn't be controversial to state that it was pretty average for a Man Utd forward to get 3 goals all year and disappear in so many matches. He doesn't need to be a Kagawa protected species, its allowable for him to have been disappointing last year, not to have preseason overplayed or proclaimed as our best player by some (based on what I'm not sure) and for him to have a good upcoming season.

bosnian_red

It's not irrelevant. It happened, and it was awful. They're all jointly responsible for that, he's no different to the rest except to state that it was a tough transition which offers some explanation. To state the players could do nothing about it is strange, they are the only ones that could truly do something about it.

I'm not saying it means he can't do this or that or lacks ability, but it shouldn't be controversial to state that it was pretty average for a Man Utd forward to get 3 goals all year and disappear in so many matches. He doesn't need to be a Kagawa protected species, its allowable for him to have been disappointing last year, not to have preseason overplayed or proclaimed as our best player by some (based on what I'm not sure) and for him to have a good upcoming season.
I'm saying you pick up any individual player in world football and toss him in last season's United team (like with Sancho), and they would fail. So for me, that is entirely pointless to bring up. Yeah the players failed on the pitch, but they were set up to fail. A horribly unbalanced/bloated squad which invited a bad atmosphere, garbage coaching, misuse of players, etc all played a much bigger part and was the reason for last season.

Sure, you can say he had a bad last season. But it's garbage to say "we've been patient". There's nothing to be patient about. You're essentially an idiot if you're making judgments on players based on last season without understanding/acknowledging the situation that was our club last season, and how it was an impossible situation for anyone. So again. If EVERY SINGLE PLAYER in world football would have failed last year, what's the point in saying anything about Sancho for last season? Its much more relevant to look at his previous years. You know, the ones where he put up record breaking stats. The ones where he looked every bit a world class player. The ones where he was more productive than any other player before age 20 in a major league in the modern football era, bar Mbappe who just had 1 goal/assist more? Its just more relevant to look at his time with Dortmund, and his individual traits more than anything that happened last season. Just like it's more relevant to look at Rashford between 2018-2021. Shaws previous years. Or Maguire's. Or anyone else. Yes it was a collective failure, but there are far more relevant points to blame than just "the players let us down and that's that".

And if you disagree, just seriously ask yourself how do you think Mbappe would have done if he was put in that team. Or Salah. Or De Bruyne. You're fooling yourself if you think they would have done well.

TsuWave

I’m not going to do a back and forth with you. “had one average season. fans have been very patient” remains a crazy sentence.

Am I the only one that things Sancho is our best player and we have a gem here?
Best player is pushing it but he's an incredible talent and it should be between him and Foden as to who is the future of the England team.

The whole team was junk, including our bona fide world class superstars.

For that short period after Ole left and Ragnick had us playing half decent football, Sancho was arguably our best player. He's one of the players that has the most to gain from ETH and a settled tactical system.

Abraxas

I'm saying you pick up any individual player in world football and toss him in last season's United team (like with Sancho), and they would fail. So for me, that is entirely pointless to bring up. Yeah the players failed on the pitch, but they were set up to fail. A horribly unbalanced/bloated squad which invited a bad atmosphere, garbage coaching, misuse of players, etc all played a much bigger part and was the reason for last season.

Sure, you can say he had a bad last season. But it's garbage to say "we've been patient". There's nothing to be patient about. You're essentially an idiot if you're making judgments on players based on last season without understanding/acknowledging the situation that was our club last season, and how it was an impossible situation for anyone. So again. If EVERY SINGLE PLAYER in world football would have failed last year, what's the point in saying anything about Sancho for last season? Its much more relevant to look at his previous years. You know, the ones where he put up record breaking stats. The ones where he looked every bit a world class player. The ones where he was more productive than any other player before age 20 in a major league in the modern football era, bar Mbappe who just had 1 goal/assist more? Its just more relevant to look at his time with Dortmund, and his individual traits more than anything that happened last season. Just like it's more relevant to look at Rashford between 2018-2021. Shaws previous years. Or Maguire's. Or anyone else. Yes it was a collective failure, but there are far more relevant points to blame than just "the players let us down and that's that".

And if you disagree, just seriously ask yourself how do you think Mbappe would have done if he was put in that team. Or Salah. Or De Bruyne. You're fooling yourself if you think they would have done well.
I don't know if what you're saying is true. Throw in Mbappe and I don't know that he's not a lot better than Sancho was. Maybe he isn't, maybe he is. It seems speculative at best, without going into depth on the two players because it's a massive digression - a player like Mbappe has the brilliance to pull something out of the hat quite regularly. So I don't like this premise that it was literally impossible.

The idiot comment is a bit needlessly aggressive, even if you're not directing it exactly. People would be allowed to make an assessment of a season. Who said it's black or white, categorical or a final judgement? There can be some nuance to how he's viewed. Yes he had some brilliant performances at Dortmund but it doesn't make his performances for us any better and that's all I'm saying. He has been average and yet some are willing to go as far as saying he's our best player and even last season I noticed a degree of explaining away all his poor performances. He's in the same boat as everyone else, he has it all to do, we're not "lucky to have him" as has been suggested and he's not our best player...yet.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't know if what you're saying is true. Throw in Mbappe and I don't know that he's not a lot better than Sancho was. Maybe he isn't, maybe he is. It seems speculative at best, without going into depth on the two players because it's a massive digression - a player like Mbappe has the brilliance to pull something out of the hat quite regularly. So I don't like this premise that it was literally impossible.

The idiot comment is a bit needlessly aggressive, even if you're not directing it exactly. People would be allowed to make an assessment of a season. Who said it's black or white, categorical or a final judgement? There can be some nuance to how he's viewed. Yes he had some brilliant performances at Dortmund but it doesn't make his performances for us any better and that's all I'm saying. He has been average and yet some are willing to go as far as saying he's our best player and even last season I noticed a degree of explaining away all his poor performances. He's in the same boat as everyone else, he has it all to do, we're not "lucky to have him" as has been suggested and he's not our best player...yet.
Mbappe can create chances out of nothing because of his unreal pace. Players who are so fast are more likely to shine in subpar teams because they can just outrun the opponent. Sancho is different to that although he still was disappoiting, especially at the beginning of the last season. But in a functioning team, I wouldn't have him far behind Mbappe in terms of impact. Yet, I still believe you won't see the best of him until you play him on the left in a great system. It's understandable that ETH uses him on the right given the players at his disposal but his potential is even higher than when he cuts in with the ball on the wrong foot.

I'm very excited how all this plays out. In a years time, I'm pretty sure you'll see him totally different - and in two years, probably even more so.

florisW

Supports
Ajax

Good post

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Class again. Looking every penny worth 90m right now.

bosnian_red

Not as involved in the buildup as we were very left centric with Bruno on that side but Donny on the other side, but he was more of the final ball player this time around. Excellent again, though I like it more when he's more involved in the build up. Getting him on the ball as much as possible is always a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.