Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

Glorio

Don’t know why people are up in arms about this, Linekar doesn’t do the punditry he presents and leads the show. Which Jenas is very good at.

Really don’t understand all the hate.
It's a Caf badge of honour to hate Jenas for some reason. I barely notice him for better or for worse. Unsure why people get so worked up about him.

Don’t know why people are up in arms about this, Linekar doesn’t do the punditry he presents and leads the show. Which Jenas is very good at.

Because he's got no charisma as a presenter and very low credentials as a footballer. If they're going to have an ex-player as the lead, they need at least one of the two.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

It's a Caf badge of honour to hate Jenas for some reason. I barely notice him for better or for worse. Unsure why people get so worked up about him.
I dunno about everyone else but for me, the presenter role needs someone with a bit of charisma and humour and if they were a great player in their time, that helps steer conversation and lets the host get involved in the "analysis". Lineker ticks those boxes. People, especially older folk, seen to like him, he busts out the dad jokes and cringe puns but also has opinions.

Jena's was a shit player and is a charisma vacuum. He looks like he's bored half the time.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Jenas is alright. He’s more exciting than blotting paper. Lineker is a vibrant and thoughtful character. Engaging is the difference. Give it to Gabi, or keep GL

AndySmith1990

Doubt anyone cares enough about him to put energy into hating the man. He's just a bland character. Presenters should have a bit of charisma

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
She's as clueless as he is. The way she was talking over Klinsmann the other day. Surely there's another female presenter they can find that's better than her.
I don’t see what’s wrong with this, everyone should talk over Klinsmann.

Westerkerk

Always said that when Jenas had his one show gig, the BBC were auditioning him for future roles in football television. I do see him as a potential successor to Lineker on MOTD, but it must be the easiest gig in television. Relaying facts that the average viewer can see with their own eyeballs, but that's the pundits mainly. The presenter controls the dialogue and the flow of the show. I don't think Jenas is especially bad at that. I think he's ok.

MOTD will forever be one of those shows where they struggle to change the format, and for that reason I don't see Jenas as being a particularly risky in repalcing Linekar.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I dislike him mainly because he's so obviously winging it. He's not the only one, and the other worst offenders get plenty of stick too.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What do you class as not winging it in the area of punditry or TV presenting. Unless you're talking about experience?
In terms of punditry, doing your job properly means actually researching the players and teams in advance of each match, no matter how obscure they might seem to the average viewer. This means knowing their names (all 22 on the pitch plus subs), who they play for, what kind of form they're in going into the match, their stats, what kind of form the teams have been in, how they qualified, how the manager likes to set up, etc. It's basic stuff that a lot of pundits clearly don't bother their arse with, I think for most of them it's just a case of turning up and commenting on the players they think they're familiar with.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
In terms of punditry, doing your job properly means actually researching the players and teams in advance of each match, no matter how obscure they might seem to the average viewer. This means knowing their names (all 22 on the pitch plus subs), who they play for, what kind of form they're in going into the match, their stats, what kind of form the teams have been in, how they qualified, how the manager likes to set up, etc. It's basic stuff that a lot of pundits clearly don't bother their arse with, I think for most of them it's just a case of turning up and commenting on the players they think they're familiar with.
The worst thing is most of these guys are given stat packs and info to review before a game...it's not like they need to do any of this work off their own back. So not only is he given this info, but he's then choosing to ignore it and chat breeze for 90 mins!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He's absolutely awful. I agree with the Laura Woods shouts, I think she's great.
Well that is me done with BBC football. Especially after the scandalous sacking of Alan Green a couple of years ago.
The broadcaster is clearly being run by idiotic halfwits.

Westerkerk

I don't disagree with you from a punditry point of view, but as I say Jenas is an OK presenter. Presenters mainly follow the script and the cues of the producer. I don't think he's especially bad at that.

There are also far worse pundits who range from pointlessly analytical to overly opinionated - personally I hardly ever watch pre, half-time or post match analysis, but I do watch match of the day most Saturdays and I wouldn't boycott it if Jenas took over from Linekar. Having said that, I don't see Gary giving up that gig any time soon.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
BBC pundit Gary Lineker brands the US an 'extraordinarily racist country' as ex-England ace doubles down on his criticism of anti-LGBT Qatar... by swiping at the next World Cup hosts
  • BBC pundit Gary Lineker branded the US an 'extraordinarily racist country'
  • Ex-England striker swiped at the Americans while defending Qatar criticism
  • Lineker had slammed Doha's persecution of LGBT minorities in the Gulf state

BBC pundit Gary Lineker has risked another impartiality row by branding the US an 'extraordinarily racist country'.

The former England striker-turned-TV presenter swiped at the Americans while defending his criticism of World Cup hosts Qatar, whose regime persecutes political activists, women and LGBT minorities.

World Cup 2022: BBC pundit Gary Lineker brands the US an 'extraordinarily racist country' | Daily Mail Online

Couldn't find a Gary Lineker thread...this one will have to do I guess.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
BBC pundit Gary Lineker brands the US an 'extraordinarily racist country' as ex-England ace doubles down on his criticism of anti-LGBT Qatar... by swiping at the next World Cup hosts
  • BBC pundit Gary Lineker branded the US an 'extraordinarily racist country'
  • Ex-England striker swiped at the Americans while defending Qatar criticism
  • Lineker had slammed Doha's persecution of LGBT minorities in the Gulf state

BBC pundit Gary Lineker has risked another impartiality row by branding the US an 'extraordinarily racist country'.

The former England striker-turned-TV presenter swiped at the Americans while defending his criticism of World Cup hosts Qatar, whose regime persecutes political activists, women and LGBT minorities.

World Cup 2022: BBC pundit Gary Lineker brands the US an 'extraordinarily racist country' | Daily Mail Online

Couldn't find a Gary Lineker thread...this one will have to do I guess.
Ok??

I like Lineker but that's one hell of a take to say the least.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
US is proper racist to be fair. Sadly so are a lot of countries.

Think its a bigger deal to point to the US as they are self proclaimed world leaders

Red the Bear

Something less generic
US is proper racist to be fair. Sadly so are a lot of countries.

Think its a bigger deal to point to the US as they are self proclaimed world leaders
I'm gonna sound so chauvinistic but that's not true at all, by most most measures it's one of the least racist countries in the world, you might think otherwise because 1 it's the most diverse and b it gets a lot of media attention.

I've been to a lot of of planes from Africa to Asia and it really isn't better while not having half it's diversity.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm gonna sound so chauvinistic but that's not true at all, by most most measures it's one of the least racist countries in the world, you might think otherwise because 1 it's the most diverse and b it gets a lot of media attention.

I've been to a lot of of planes from Africa to Asia and it really isn't better while not having half it's diversity.
But this is my point, from a developed super nation standpoint its still ridiculously racist.

Pickle85

Weird that Gary Lineker suddenly sees himself as a combination of MLK and Gandhi.

The White Pele

Like him or not, Lineker is a tough act to follow due to his rare combination of natural presenting skills and knowledge/experience at the top of the game.

I think Jenas wants to follow but he has this air of arrogance about him that puts me off. Maybe as a presenter, where he doesn’t have to give his opinion as much he might be less jarring.

I think BBC have been trying to warm Alex Scott up as a potential successor. They’ve given her Football Focus to cut her teeth on and I think they have also recently given her a quiz show. Personally, I don’t think she’s up to that but we will see.

I think Dan Walker would have been a good candidate before his move away from BBC.

The White Pele

They should hire Laura Woods.
Sky really need to get a move on and give her one of the top jobs.

They would do well to completely revamp Soccer Saturday with a new format, similar to BT’s, and make her the face of it. Stelling was on the verge of walking away anyway and the current format is tired and in need of a complete refresh.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
But this is my point, from a developed super nation standpoint its still ridiculously racist.
It still is probably the lesat bad in that regard.

No one is perfect but to constantly bash us from that perspective when you're country is probably even worse off is daft.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It still is probably the lesat bad in that regard.

No one is perfect but to constantly bash us from that perspective when you're country is probably even worse off is daft.
I dont think England is more racist than US.

I do think there is a racism issue in England, but I find the US a lot worse. It took me about 40 minutes in my trip to New York earlier in the year before someone told me not to "blow shit up". The worst we had to offer to lead our country was Borris, who was terrible but still seen as a poundland Trump.

If I were to venture into the deeper southern states I'd probably find a lot worse. This is my point - its just a lot more racist as a nation. In no small part because it's so huge so you'll see different dynamics. It doesnt change the fact that it is proper racist.

Scriblerus

Jenas has all the spark of a wet dishrag, and I hope they find someone livelier. However, anyone who thinks that presenting is a doddle should give it a try (ex TV producer here).

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I dont think England is more racist than US.

I do think there is a racism issue in England, but I find the US a lot worse. It took me about 40 minutes in my trip to New York earlier in the year before someone told me not to "blow shit up". The worst we had to offer to lead our country was Borris, who was terrible but still seen as a poundland Trump.

If I were to venture into the deeper southern states I'd probably find a lot worse. This is my point - its just a lot more racist as a nation. In no small part because it's so huge so you'll see different dynamics. It doesnt change the fact that it is proper racist.
I don't want to turn this into a dick measuring contest but that's besides the point.

US is huge country with the most diverse set of people in history it's bound to have some existing tensions.

To call it more racist than England when England despite it's increasing diversity is still mostly homogenous is rather dishonest, new york for example isn't even 50 percent white.

This is a bit dubious as most people would probably answer it in a way to be seen as less racist than they may be and these things are hard to track but I'm gonna post it because it's from wa post (a left leaning publication) so no nationalists bias.

The map

Add how its far diverse tha n the others and I say it's a pretty ok state to be in, also regarding your point about trump i doubt you knew him that well, he loves scoring diversity points to seem more rightous and actually increased his share of minority vote in 2020(it was the white vote that potentially cost him) so again not that great of an argument.

Anyway this isn't the right thread for this kind of stuff so I leave it at that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't want to turn this into a dick measuring contest but that's besides the point.

US is huge country with the most diverse set of people in history it's bound to have some existing tensions.

To call it more racist than England when England despite it's increasing diversity is still mostly homogenous is rather dishonest, new york for example isn't even 50 percent white.

This is a bit dubious as most people would probably answer it in a way to be seen as less racist than they may be and these things are hard to track but I'm gonna post it because it's from wa post (a left leaning publication) so no nationalists bias.

The map

Add how its far diverse tha n the others and I say it's a pretty ok state to be in, also regarding your point about trump i doubt you knew him that well, he loves scoring diversity points to seem more rightous and actually increased his share of minority vote in 2020(it was the white vote that potentially cost him) so again not that great of an argument.

Anyway this isn't the right thread for this kind of stuff so I leave it at that.
Youre getting a bit lost in the point I've made.
I'm not saying what is or isn't more diverse. I'm just calling a spade a spade in saying the US is proper racist. Irrespective of how diverse certain areas may or may not be.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Youre getting a bit lost in the point I've made.
I'm not saying what is or isn't more diverse. I'm just calling a spade a spade in saying the US is proper racist. Irrespective of how diverse certain areas may or may not be.
I'm trying to say it's easy not to be racist when you don't get any exposure to different traditions and cultures , Scandinavia is for example mostly homogenous but a very anti immigration party just won a rather sizable vote share over there.

Us has many problems and in some regards it's getting worse by the day, but I do get a bit fed up seeing Europeans act so high and mighty about it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm trying to say it's easy not to be racist when you don't get any exposure to different traditions and cultures , Scandinavia is for example mostly homogenous but a very anti immigration party just won a rather sizable vote share over there.

Us has many problems and in some regards it's getting worse by the day, but I do get a bit fed up seeing Europeans act so high and mighty about it.
Dont think its a matter of being high and mighty. The overt racism in USA has long been an issue. I'm not saying UK doesn't have a racism issue but I think its worse in the US.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Dont think its a matter of being high and mighty. The overt racism in USA has long been an issue. I'm not saying UK doesn't have a racism issue but I think its worse in the US.
Then I guess we'd have to agree to disagree .