Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure what people expect. He gets paid insane money from the BBC and already has quite a lot of leeway with what he says on his twitter. If this was someone who was conservative leaning who made a similar tweet they would be absolutely piled on.

I don't really care what football pundits believe in their personal life but he has a highly paid contract with the BBC and has to follow their rules. Anyone who thinks the BBC aren't massively left leaning in their personnel needs their heads wobbling. They have done this because it is a serious breach of their rules, not because they are a "bunch of tory *****" as some seem to be suggesting.

The current chairman of the BBC helped Boris Johnson get an 800k loan. They've been threatening them with defunding for years and it's been more obvious by the day that they've been swinging right to appease them.

BerryBerryShrew

Crushing the working class, taking Britain out of the EU, and waging war on the underprivileged has (bizzarely) not lost the Tories any goodwill among the public but maybe being the reason why Jermaine feckin Jenas becomes host of MOTD might cause a groundswell of Labour support at the next election.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not sure what people expect. He gets paid insane money from the BBC and already has quite a lot of leeway with what he says on his twitter. If this was someone who was conservative leaning who made a similar tweet they would be absolutely piled on.

I don't really care what football pundits believe in their personal life but he has a highly paid contract with the BBC and has to follow their rules. Anyone who thinks the BBC aren't massively left leaning in their personnel needs their heads wobbling. They have done this because it is a serious breach of their rules, not because they are a "bunch of tory *****" as some seem to be suggesting.

Nah

pacifictheme

Oh dear.

mctrials23

The current chairman of the BBC helped Boris Johnson get an 800k loan. They've been threatening them with defunding for years and it's been more obvious by the day that they've been swinging right to appease them.
Not sure what the current chairman of the BBC and loans have to do with this. I know people that have worked at the BBC over the past 10+ years. Its very left leaning. As to Sugar, did no one complain after that tweet? I have no idea what happened with that.

My point is that the BBC are not right leaning. He broke their rules. He has a history of pushing their boundaries. He has been punished this time. You would have to talk to them about why they haven't punished Sugar. Perhaps because the Apprentice is his show? I don't know.

El Zoido

It’s just a problem with a public funded broadcaster. They have to be impartial, Tories would love to destroy the BBC and look for any excuse to do so. You got their top paid star pushing partisan messaging against the current government. If it was the other way around and he was spouting pro-Tory stuff all day, everyone would be cheering at him being taken off-air. You also wouldn’t be happy at your enforced TV tax paying his salary.

Lineker needs to decide if he wants to become a full time Twitter crusader, or give it up and keep collecting his £1.3m annual salary talking about football for an hour a week. His best option would be to quit and go and front the football full time on BT or something.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure what the current chairman of the BBC and loans have to do with this. I know people that have worked at the BBC over the past 10+ years. Its very left leaning. As to Sugar, did no one complain after that tweet? I have no idea what happened with that.

My point is that the BBC are not right leaning. He broke their rules. He has a history of pushing their boundaries. He has been punished this time. You would have to talk to them about why they haven't punished Sugar. Perhaps because the Apprentice is his show? I don't know.
Did he break their rules? He said nothing on air, it was his own personal Twitter account and he is allowed an opinion. His following shouldn't matter. Nothing happened with Lord Sugar, who also tweeted the below and still has a platform.

SER19

He can say what he likes, and BBC can impose their judgement whatever way they like too. Comparing the current small boats crisis to Nazi Germany was an absurd position in my opinion, one I'm not going to get into here even though I believe migrants willing to make those journeys should be treated with compassion. There are too many simply absurd contradictions with his insinuation for me to think he's particularly well educated about nazi germany and doubling down on his position just makes him seem doubly ignorant in my opinion.

AndySmith1990

PC gone mad. Who is stupid enough to read that tweet by Linekar on his own personal account and think to themselves "feck the BBC I'm cancelling my license"

SER19

Did he break their rules? He said nothing on air, it was his own personal Twitter account and he is allowed an opinion. His following shouldn't matter. Nothing happened with Lord Sugar, who also tweeted the below and still has a platform.

neither of those crass tweets are party political

GlasgowCeltic

Logan to replace him I guess, maybe she’ll bring in her buddy Klinsmann for some insight about Iranians again

mctrials23

Did he break their rules?
They seem to think he did. I am not a lawyer and I haven't seen his contract. From what seems to be coming out about this, it does seem like there are good reasons to be suspicious about the stance they are taking.

I'm still not close to believing it a conspiracy or that the Tories have taken over the BBC. Far too much is now political. Not everything is a conspiracy or us vs them.

I'm very much left leaning but I can also entirely see how this is not a good look for someone that the tax payer is funding to the tune of £1.3m/year. The BBC is under immense pressure as it is and having their highest paid "star" doing what he has done is not good. Unsurprisingly twitter is full of "defund the BBC" from left leaning voters and was full of "defund the BBC" when they hadn't done anything about from the right leaning ones. Perhaps that is part of the reason they don't like him making comments like this...

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He can say what he likes, and BBC can impose their judgement whatever way they like too. Comparing the current small boats crisis to Nazi Germany was an absurd position in my opinion, one I'm not going to get into here even though I believe migrants willing to make those journeys should be treated with compassion. There are too many simply absurd contradictions with his insinuation for me to think he's particularly well educated about nazi germany and doubling down on his position just makes him seem doubly ignorant in my opinion.
Don't think it's absurd at all.

Kag

They seem to think he did. I am not a lawyer and I haven't seen his contract. From what seems to be coming out about this, it does seem like there are good reasons to be suspicious about the stance they are taking.

I'm still not close to believing it a conspiracy or that the Tories have taken over the BBC. Far too much is now political. Not everything is a conspiracy or us vs them.

I'm very much left leaning but I can also entirely see how this is not a good look for someone that the tax payer is funding to the tune of £1.3m/year. The BBC is under immense pressure as it is and having their highest paid "star" doing what he has done is not good. Unsurprisingly twitter is full of "defund the BBC" from left leaning voters and was full of "defund the BBC" when they hadn't done anything about from the right leaning ones. Perhaps that is part of the reason they don't like him making comments like this...
You’re talking out of your arse.

The BBC paid Lineker to talk about Middle Eastern human rights live on air as recently as December. This is political and rightly so.

BarcaSpurs

Just last night Fiona Bruce was downplaying domestic violence because it was being aimed at someone associated with the conservative party.

David Attenboroughs new show being pulled because it might attracy right-wing criticism.

Some of you absolutely have wool over your eyes to not see things for as they are.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
A holocaust survivor basically said the same as Gary Lineker about the language used. Is she wrong too?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm still not close to believing it a conspiracy or that the Tories have taken over the BBC. Far too much is now political.
I wonder why…

Theyre also not showing a David Attenborough show about the damage we’ve done to nature in the UK for fear of backlash from right-wingers so make of that what you will.

mctrials23

You’re talking out of your arse.

The BBC paid Lineker to talk about Middle Eastern human rights live on air as recently as December. This is political and rightly so.
Thats not the same and I hope you realise that. There is a difference between trying to be impartial which is what the BBC should be doing and not being political. They cover a lot of politics on the BBC but they have a mandate to try and be impartial. Having your highest paid star saying what Lineker did is not a good look for them.

macheda14

Most BBC presenters, writers, actors etc are left leaning because most people who work in TV are left leaning, most creative people are left leaning. However anyone who thinks the BBC executives aren't right leaning needs their heads wobbling. They quite literally just pulled an Attenborough episode from air because they were worried the right wing might complain. Its bloody Attenborough. Also you've read it enough in this thread about their chairman, but if you don't think a Tory donor has any say in wider policy then what are you on. Why do you think people like Emily Maitlis have left in recent years?

Vitro

It’s clear the creatives on BBC are left leaning hence their content. The executives are right leaning, hence this situation and the lack of silencing of right wing comments coming from BBC employees.

mctrials23

I wonder why…

Theyre also not showing a David Attenborough show about the damage we’ve done to nature in the UK for fear of backlash from right-wingers so make of that what you will.
I think thats a really stupid decision made for stupid reasons.