Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
She was brilliant. Actual tactical insight & not repeating the same stuff over & again.
There was no insight from her, it was classic superficial layman tactical musing delivered with monotony.

Jam

There was no insight from her, it was classic superficial layman tactical musing delivered with monotony.
And yet it was still levels above anything any of the male pundits have offered on BBC/ITV in years.

The gist of punditry teams for years and years has been personalities above actual content. Now we're getting a new wave of pundits that lack personality AND genuine insight.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
She was brilliant. Actual tactical insight & not repeating the same stuff over & again.
Was I listening to a different game to you? I can't remember how many times she mentioned 'phases,' and then there was the astounding observation that it was important for Croatia to keep a clean sheet while 1-0 up. And who was this Apple-a-Quetter she kept mentioning?

acnumber9

I’ve never hated a commentator like Jermaine Jenas. I’d rather listen to somebody running their nails down a chalkboard for 90 minutes.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Was I listening to a different game to you? I can't remember how many times she mentioned 'phases,' and then there was the astounding observation that it was important for Croatia to keep a clean sheet while 1-0 up. And who was this Apple-a-Quetter she kept mentioning?
She was pronouncing his name correctly. They're friends.

ivaldo

She was pronouncing his name correctly. They're friends.
So she said. Which made it all the more baffling that she couldn't pronounce his name correctly.

Here's Azpilicueta pronouncing his own name.

EasyE

He's horrifically bad. Very pro City too.

Some comments that made me laugh:
"Grealish is built for these moments. He thrives."

I can't remember Jack Grealish ever being the main man in finals for big teams. He is a fantastic player, just wrong context.

"We've been talking about (Shaw) all game.. he's not been great but he's redeemed himself there with the assist".

Shaw wasn't bad or good. He was fine. He wasn't able to progress up the pitch due to the v defensive line up by Southgate.

Absolutely trash. Should be in a Wetherspoons.

Reactions: Sultan

ivaldo

It was truly bizarre that he kept muttering about Shaw not being naturally attacking, as if t wasn't Shaw who had created the most chances for England so far this tournament, and it wasn't Shaw who had created more chances than any fullback in the Premier League last season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It was truly bizarre that he kept muttering about Shaw not being naturally attacking, as if t wasn't Shaw who had created the most chances for England so far this tournament, and it wasn't Shaw who had created more chances than any fullback in the Premier League last season.
But then you'd have to take effort into collecting the stats. Which I don't think Jenas did.

Raredaredevil

Imagine replacing one of England's greatest striker with this mediocre journeyman footballer.

Acole9

Outstanding
Listening to Jenas, after listening to Emma Hayes on ITV, just highlights how he's just not up to it. Maybe it's harsh to pick him out given most colour commentary is garbage. But his droning on about Shaw was idiotic and at no point did he try to justify it with any tactical insight.
I've really enjoyed Emma Hayes' punditry on itv. Jenas is bloody awful.

vodrake

Every commentator has their own opinions and biases, but Jenas is just utterly unable to be objective with his. Players/teams he likes are gushed over even if they're playing terribly and if they're losing he sounds audibly gutted, whilst those he doesn't like are belittled no matter how they play and any praise is through clearly gritted teeth

Andersons Dietician

Was she the one covering the spain game? whoever that was was awful. Like Glen Hoddle but possibly worse.

Anyway I thought it was Alex Scott who was going to be the face of the BBC coverage. She’s a great pundit.

Reiver

I agree, she really seems to know her stuff.

I think if the Beeb are planning on replacing Lineker with Jenas it's a huge mistake. I don't know what Jenas has even done to merit his current role - he adds nothing new or interesting as a pundit. Lineker, whatever his faults as a presenter, did it for England at the highest level. It lends his comments a degree of authenticity and respect which I don't think Jenas commands.

Acole9

Outstanding
Was she the one covering the spain game? whoever that was was awful. Like Glen Hoddle but possibly worse.

Anyway I thought it was Alex Scott who was going to be the face of the BBC coverage. She’s a great pundit.
Yes she covered it. Sounds a bit like Hoddle/Cathy Burke but really knows her stuff. More interesting than most the guff you hear.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So she said. Which made it all the more baffling that she couldn't pronounce his name correctly.

Here's Azpilicueta pronouncing his own name.
I 100% guarantee that he's been asked "am I saying your name correctly?" so many times in the 9 years he's lived in England that he now just says "yeah, that's fine" to whatever anyone says, rather than have the same conversation for the millionth time.

ivaldo

I 100% guarantee that he's been asked "am I saying your name correctly?" so many times in the 9 years he's lived in England that he now just says "yeah, that's fine" to whatever anyone says, rather than have the same conversation for the millionth time.
FFS. It's Se-Zar!

Andersons Dietician

Yes she covered it. Sounds a bit like Hoddle/Cathy Burke but really knows her stuff. More interesting than most the guff you hear.
Hmmmm not sure, my main memory of that game is her then jibbering on about absolute rubbish. Thought she was terrible but maybe that was just a one off. First time I’ve heard her.