Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Il name them all; Darmian, Schneiderlein, Rojo, carrick, Fellaini, schweinsteiger, Depay, Herrera, Mata, Jones.

Lingard has had a better season than all of these individuals, all of whom have underperformed. Close to adding Rooney in as well btw but he still been effective at certain times(eg.winner at Anfield).
Of course he has, can't pass , can't shoot, can't score, can't cross, can't take people on, can't tackle, can't head the ball but I understand he's excellent at finding space off the ball, very useful when the opposition don't even need to bother to mark him. I might give you Jones out of those mentioned but he's been injured most of the season.
Roll on next season and Mourinho will never pick him

Revan

Assumptionman
I think he might be the worst starter I have ever seen for United.

I don't have any idea why he makes the squad, let alone starts every week.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sorry but :lol:

He has been poor again today, how he gets games ahead of Juan Mata and co is beyond belief.
Ignore him when he talks about academy players. He said a couple years back that Cleverley will become a top 3 midfielder (not sure if it was for EPL or for world).

MAME DIOUF 32

I think he's a bit like Park or Welbeck in that he occupies defenders with his movement and is probably pretty annoying to play against but unfortunately he's nowhere near as good as either (and worth noting that neither ever really nailed down a place in the team anyway).

stevoc

No kidding. The amount of game time he has received, he's simply not good enough. Not a chance should he get all these minutes while Peirera and Januzaj rot in the reserves. All should be rotated.
Yep definitely thats what i've been saying but of lot of people seem to have a hard on for Lingard right now, feck knows why.

Januzaj, Peirera and even Depay should be rotated with Lingard.

He's the new Welbeck for me in terms of being really average but people overrate his contributions because he's a local lad/academy player.
Big time i like him and hope he develops into a decent little squad player for us, but the Lingard a load of people are watching judging by their ratings is not the same one i am seeing every week.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Haha! I fecking love it when people slate Lingard and then say Januzaj or Memphis should be preferred.
What the Hell have they done to deserve a place?!
Absolutely nothing of late. But then, the former has played 15 minutes since August and the latter is obviously a talent who's trying to find his way in his first season in England. Both are vastly more talented and at the very least deserve to be rotated in along with A.P.

Lingard has been given seemingly limitless opportunities. It's time to share minutes. It was time probably 7 or 8 games ago.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Right wing is one of the most neglected positions in our squad. Lingard is genuinely one of the most limited forward players we've ever had who has started a full season. He wouldn't get in half of the other PL teams.

Verminator

@caisenma
Nothing you have said there is in any way convincing.
Januzaj has done nothing for over 2 years, including failing to impress on loan (so manager bias is unlikely)
Memphis is so talented that he won't show it, just to prove how talented he is.
If you seriously can't see that Lingard is better than those two, then you have to question your understanding of football, and indeed, logic.
There is no "agenda" for why Lingard is chosen, as he is better. So the agenda must be your's.
Why do you think he is always chosen in front of them?

eggwithsideburns

Maybe we should be giving Memphis or Januzaj a few more chances to impress, its not like Lingard has set the world on fire. Dare we take a chance in rotating him.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
For some reason, any time I see him, I keep thinking, "He is without question in a Stone Roses tribute band"

Full time footballer or not, I'm convinced he is for some strange reason

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
@caisenma
Januzaj has done nothing for over 2 years, including failing to impress on loan (so manager bias is unlikely)
If you seriously can't see that Lingard is better than those two, then you have to question your understanding of football, and indeed, logic.
There is no "agenda" for why Lingard is chosen, as he is better. So the agenda must be your's.
Of course Im biased, who isnt? You certainly are too, we all are.

My point stands, and I dont feel like repeating myself all over again. For an attacking player, to warrant continous selection you need to produce. LVG is a moron, and that's quite literally why think Lingard is undroppable to him.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I can't look at him today and point to much he's improved over the course of the season. His finishing, vision, runs are all about the same IMO, though he has linked up well with Rashford occasionally. With Memphis and Januzaj you can argue they've shown much more in the past or Lingard currently does so we have an idea of how much better it could be. Lingard isn't doing anything to lose his place to them right now but also isn't nailing it down.

Golden Nugget

With Lingard it feels like I'm controlling a 65 rated player on FIFA; I do the right movement and make the right shots and passes, but they just don't pull off.

3KDré

Talent means nothing without the work put in, wit or determination. Januzaj and Memphis lack that and Lingard does not. He provides a balance to our team, and as of right now I am content with him in the team. I understand he is limited but he is better than most options right now. Better that than Januzaj/Memphis strolling about acting the big man.

The United

No one here is overrating or overhyping or saying he is a top player. People give credits to him for grabbing chances and doing his best with proper mentality. You can praise a player for putting efforts. They don't have to be super talented to get one.

Most people who said he has been good is just being realistic for this season with options we have. The players some people think should have been giving a chance over him had chances and didn't do well and apparently do not have the right mentality to play for first team at the moment. You can think LVG made it up for whatever reason. But, CAF's favourite youth coach Joyce has confirmed it.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
With Lingard it feels like I'm controlling a 65 rated player on FIFA; I do the right movement and make the right shots and passes, but they just don't pull off.
:lol: Apt description. Maybe 70 rated though tbf to him, not more than that.

I like him but he's no more then a squad player.
This. He's the best option down the right, anyone saying we should play Memphis or Januzaj obviously hasnt watched Memphis ever play for us or Januzaj for about 2 years. In the summer we need to be upgrading and move him to be a solid squad player.

Perrick Dubois

I like him but he's no more then a squad player.
I think he can grow when Van Gaal leaves. He's a very disciplined player but he isn't the all-round striker-type player that Martial is. Martial is also exceptionally gifted on the ball and that sorcery really sets him apart from the other wide options we have. The biggest problem is that both our wide players get bogged down having to play like extra fullbacks when we don't have the ball. When we do have the ball the transitions are always so slow bloated and most of the forward players end up playing the majority of the build up facing the ball with it going nowhere. They end up playing with their back to goal almost like a hold up striker.

Martial is just set apart in this aspect because his ability on the ball is so incredible he's able to use that ability to make something out of stone cold nothing. (I mean nothing).

I don't really get why Jesse is being torn to shreds on here, he looks a tidy little player. Sure his finishing can be worked on but once LVG leaves and we get a manager who will build a competent system that relies less on possession based build up and more on quick transitions without the wingers having to act like extra fullbacks then I think he will blossom.

He's definitely going to be a valuable rotational player.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Again, the notion that he's better than anything else we have is not provable when Lingard has been given all the opportunities of late. You give Memphis, Adnan or Pereira those sort of minutes, I'd wager they'd be significantly more productive than Lingard.

We are a team that doesn't score goals. We are awful at generating chances and in the premiership we are in the bottom half of goals scored. Bournemouth have as many goals as we do, ffs.

So we're a team that doesn't score goals, and we have a regular starter who to my knowledge has not scored or assisted in his last twelve starts. It is absolutely indefensible to say we have no better options at present, as we haven't given anyone else the sort of leeway we've given Lingard.

Verminator

Again, the notion that he's better than anything else we have is not provable when Lingard has been given all the opportunities of late. You give Memphis, Adnan or Pereira those sort of minutes, I'd wager they'd be significantly more productive than Lingard.

We are a team that doesn't score goals. We are awful at generating chances and in the premiership we are in the bottom half of goals scored. Bournemouth have as many goals as we do, ffs.

So we're a team that doesn't score goals, and we have a regular starter who to my knowledge has not scored or assisted in his last twelve starts. It is absolutely indefensible to say we have no better options at present, as we haven't given anyone else the sort of leeway we've given Lingard.
You may be right, but the decision on who plays is made by people who see them in training.
I'd hope that if they were pulling up trees in training, they would be rewarded, but nothing is certain these days.
I do feel that we play better with Lingard than without him, but also acknowledge that a better player could improve on this further. I like Perreira. Nothing from the other two makes me long for their inclusion.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I thought he was playing pretty well against Leicester but then LVG took him off after an hour, so maybe not.

Brightonian

He was the reason we dominated that first half. Ran his bloody socks off both in defence and attack. I wasn't surprised to see him go off - everyone else on the pitch looked knackered by the hour mark, and he'd done as much running as any other two players put together.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

Don't be silly. It's not "leeway", he's getting the minutes over them because he deserves them.

JoaquinJoaquin

So another poor performance yet people are praising him. I was watching him while I was at the game yesterday and there was times when he was actually hiding to not get a pass. Nowhere near good enough to be a starter at this club. I think Jose would turf him out if he comes and I certainly wouldn't complain if he did.

Rossa

He plays as a winger to provide pace, but he is a slow winger. If he had proper pace, he would have gotten away from Simpson.

He has a nice turn of pace and carries the ball well. More suited centrally I think.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
So another poor performance yet people are praising him. I was watching him while I was at the game yesterday and there was times when he was actually hiding to not get a pass. Nowhere near good enough to be a starter at this club. I think Jose would turf him out if he comes and I certainly wouldn't complain if he did.
Agree with everything you've written - the bold I've been saying this for a long time. Yesterday I was looking through a list of all the players who have played for United and have played more than 25 games - all those I've seen play over the past 53 years of watching United and I am struggling to find half a dozen players who have been worse than him when a regular starter.
The only reason he's even considered to be vaguely good is because "a local lad" - he's just not good enough.
He may be the most likeable wonderful person ever to have existed, but he's nowhere near good enough for United.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Agree with everything you've written - the bold I've been saying this for a long time. Yesterday I was looking through a list of all the players who have played for United and have played more than 25 games - all those I've seen play over the past 53 years of watching United and I am struggling to find half a dozen players who have been worse than him when a regular starter.
The only reason he's even considered to be vaguely good is because "a local lad" - he's just not good enough.
He may be the most likeable wonderful person ever to have existed, but he's nowhere near good enough for United.
Can you explain what this means? It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Are Herrera, Mata, Januzaj, Shneiderlin, Darmian and Rojo good enough for United?
Is Mourinho good enough for United?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's good enough for a squad player at best. The first team squad needs looked at- Rojo (horrific player sell who scouted him should get sacked) Fellaini (sell) Mata (sell) Darmain (?) Adnan (sell) Memphis (?) Jones (?) Herrera (?) Varella (?) Blackett (sell) Rooney (?) far to many players here with question marks or just not good enough.

Spock

There's a lot to like in Lingard's game, but he lacks speed and power. Solid squad man, no doubt about it, but he's not what we need in a regular starter.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Can you explain what this means? It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Are Herrera, Mata, Januzaj, Shneiderlin, Darmian and Rojo good enough for United?
Is Mourinho good enough for United?
all those players you've listed have at least demonstrated their abilities at one time or another. maybe lingard has in spots too, but the point i'm making is that he appears to be nearly the first name on the team sheet. none of those players you mentioned deserve to be automatic starters every week either, but that's my point. lingard has done absolutely nothing to demonstrate he deserves this undroppable/holy status that LVG has bequeathed upon him.

if we were a team that scored a lot of goals and were playing well, a case could be made that he's providing some sort of gentle nuance that isn't immediately obvious on a stat sheet. but we're not. we're criminally inoffensive in the final third, and lingard as the poorest offensive player, is the chief architect of our dismal offensive game.

wiz4231

@caisenma
Jesse Lingard - Age : 23 - Goals : 5 - Assists : 4 - Mins : 2675
Memphis Depay - Age : 22 - Goals : 7 - Assists : 6 - Mins : 2363
Adnan Januzaj - Age : 21 - Goals : 1 - Assists : 3 - Mins : 776
Anthony Martial - Age : 20 - Goals : 16 - Assists : 8 - Mins : 4369
Marcus Rashford - Age : 18 - Goals : 7 - Assists : 1 - Mins : 1173
Andreas Pereira - Age : 20 - Goals : 1 - Assists : 0 - Mins : 371
James Wilson - Age : 20 - Goals : 5 - Assists : 3 - Mins : 1201

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
all those players you've listed have at least demonstrated their abilities at one time or another. maybe lingard has in spots too, but the point i'm making is that he appears to be nearly the first name on the team sheet. none of those players you mentioned deserve to be automatic starters every week either, but that's my point. lingard has done absolutely nothing to demonstrate he deserves this undroppable/holy status that LVG has bequeathed upon him.

if we were a team that scored a lot of goals and were playing well, a case could be made that he's providing some sort of gentle nuance that isn't immediately obvious on a stat sheet. but we're not. we're criminally inoffensive in the final third, and lingard as the poorest offensive player, is the chief architect of our dismal offensive game.
His competition is Juan fecking Mata, how is that his fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.