5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

facund

My question to the pro-Lingard campaigners.

If Lingard where playing for Newcastle, Everton or Liverpool and his performances this season had been identical to what we have seen at Utd, would you be clamouring to sign him? Course you wouldn't and that is the end of the argument for me.

Good lad, decent player, squad player not a starter
Lets universalise that logic.

Who from the current squad would we look at in awe and be begging to sign if they played for Newcastle, Everton or Liverpool?

De Gea, Shaw and Martial are definites.

Smalling and Blind* are potentials along with a few of the youngsters like CBJ, Mensah and Rashford.
*Some would probably baulk at the idea of buying Blind as a CB*

The rest have underwhelmed and we wouldn't be clamouring to sign Mata, Rooney, Rojo, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Carrick, Fellaini, Memphis, Herrera or Jones (add nearly every other player we have). All established and more experienced players than Lingard.

Lingard is in his first full season in the PL, he has been a little up and down but hasn't come close to hitting the nadirs of some of the players above. Jesse has endeavoured to do whatever LVG has asked him (he is not and never will be a classical RW) and been one of the more productive players in what is an uninspiring system. Whether he has much more growth/development potential is nigh on impossible to predict but I'd say at the very least he has earned a chance to prove himself under a new manager, as will hopefully be the case next season.

You said it yourself "squad player", who at this moment brings more to the team than his direct competition. If we sign a fantastic right winger and solve the #10 issue then none of the "pro-Lingarders" will bat an eyelid if he becomes a feature on the bench rather than starting. In fact that is how a lot of people see him, an incredibly handy player to have that can fill-in any of the three positions behind the striker.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Another question worth asking - is he worse than Pedro?

The answer is no.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He'll be a fine squad player for us. In a better side playing a finer brand of attacking football he'd fit in quite well.

He's not going to be a first XI player for us if we have any hope of winning titles regularly, but that's not to say he couldn't be important to us.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Lets universalise that logic.

Who from the current squad would we look at in awe and be begging to sign if they played for Newcastle, Everton or Liverpool?

De Gea, Shaw and Martial are definites.

Smalling and Blind* are potentials along with a few of the youngsters like CBJ, Mensah and Rashford.
*Some would probably baulk at the idea of buying Blind as a CB*

The rest have underwhelmed and we wouldn't be clamouring to sign Mata, Rooney, Rojo, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Carrick, Fellaini, Memphis, Herrera or Jones (add nearly every other player we have). All established and more experienced players than Lingard.

Lingard is in his first full season in the PL, he has been a little up and down but hasn't come close to hitting the nadirs of some of the players above. Jesse has endeavoured to do whatever LVG has asked him (he is not and never will be a classical RW) and been one of the more productive players in what is an uninspiring system. Whether he has much more growth/development potential is nigh on impossible to predict but I'd say at the very least he has earned a chance to prove himself under a new manager, as will hopefully be the case next season.

You said it yourself "squad player", who at this moment brings more to the team than his direct competition. If we sign a fantastic right winger and solve the #10 issue then none of the "pro-Lingarders" will bat an eyelid if he becomes a feature on the bench rather than starting. In fact that is how a lot of people see him, an incredibly handy player to have that can fill-in any of the three positions behind the striker.
Great post.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He can play better. He can be more productive. But he has to show that. So next season is real big season for Jessie. In his position, he has to influence games more. Once he does, then England will come calling. At the minute, what he's producing isn't good enough for our level. To be a first teamer, we're not seeing him make it difficult to rotate him.

kundalini

There's a time for being a team player and there's a time for making things happen, going for the shot rather than the cross, taking players on etc. Especially after the early own goal, this was a match to push hard to make sure you got a goal or an assist because whoever is in charge next season is going to look at the team and think we can improve on Lingard, either by using another of the youngsters or buying someone.

Last edited:

Devil may care

I am stumped as to what to say about him tonight, I didn't really notice him do anything good or bad, he was just in and around.

stevoc

Tonights performance pretty much sums up Lingard for me. Works hard, runs around a lot, decent for the most part but has very little effect on the actual play and doesn't really influence a game.

No idea why he's such a Van Gaal favourite. If Van Gaal is leaving i suspect Lingard might not be as prominent under a different manager if he's still here at all.

Sylar

Id rather him on the right than anybody else in the squad we have. (cept maybe a fit Young).

stevoc

Id rather him on the right than anybody else in the squad we have. (cept maybe a fit Young).
Thats hardly saying much though as we don't have any actual right wingers in the squad. Except for Young who to be fair has played most of his career on the left.

Sylar

Thats hardly saying much though as we don't have any actual right wingers in the squad. Except for Young who to be fair has played most of his career on the left.
Its in response to people wondering why hes playing, or a favourite or whatever. TBH, it showed without him the lack of balance against Liverpool first leg in the Europa League.
I do hope we get somebody to play on the right hand side, but also that Lingard isnt just dropped / sold but gets minutes next year.

stevoc

Its in response to people wondering why hes playing, or a favourite or whatever. TBH, it showed without him the lack of balance against Liverpool first leg in the Europa League.
I do hope we get somebody to play on the right hand side, but also that Lingard isnt just dropped / sold but gets minutes next year.
To be honest i said similar also and i stand by it. Young's fit the last few games, Depay's been fit longer as has Valencia. Not sure about Januzaj he might be injured. Rashford and Martial can both play on the right. So it's not like we don't have options

I'm not saying i want anyone in the team instead of Lingard hes a decent option for the right side, but i don't think his performances have warranted him being an almost ever present in the side. He should be being rotated with others to give them a chance to find form.

This is only on the right though, i don't think he should ever deployed in the centre again to be honest. Just not good enough to play in there.

ravi2

He epitomises MUFC these days, running around like a headless chicken with no end product.

SSSSnake

I'm his number one fan but sadly after such a run in the team he hasn't done enough to justify his position long term. He should have scored on numerous occasions now and doesn't offer enough attacking threat. His only strength is his work rate and linking up play.

stevoc

Not sure we even have anyone to compete with him on the RW and I don't want to see Mata anywhere near there.
We have 5-6 players who can play there without even counting Mata. Who i don't ever want to see out there again also.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
We have 5-6 players who can play there without even counting Mata. Who i don't ever want to see out there again also.
i might not agree with the exact number you're using, but yes, at this point it would certainly be fair to try just about any else.

that said, lingard deserves to be here next season as a squad player. but an automatic starter, a 90 minute man? only lvg would be so daft.

Sylar

Rashford was put there against Liverpool and it was a mistake.
Martial has been tried and is just not useful or effective (hes better out left or up front).
Depay is also better on the left than right.
mata is not useful on the right at all (unless Valencia is playing cos Mata tends to go inside and Tony gives us width so were not effected as much).

TBH, Tony V might not be the worst option ahead of TFM. But, again, Tony has just come back from injury so im not too shocked at how much Lingard has played there (I think we are actually weaker without him, and I dont know what that says about him, the people that play there or just the team in general).

stevoc

i might not agree with the exact number you're using, but yes, at this point it would certainly be fair to try just about any else.

that said, lingard deserves to be here next season as a squad player. but an automatic starter, a 90 minute man? only lvg would be so daft.
Well of all the players we have who can play there i'm not saying they are all definitely better options than Lingard on the right, Rashford and Martial probably aren't. Just that they are options, but personally i think at least one of Januzaj, Young and Valencia have the potential to be more effective at RW and maybe even Depay if given a run might be decent out there seeing as he's an actual winger.

The bolded part i agree with, he's shown enough for me to be a squad option definitely. I actually like Lingard i just don't like that our first team is so poor right now that a player of his ability seems to be one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
people have a really short memory if they forgot how shit Valencia was on the wing.....

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
people have a really short memory if they forgot how shit Valencia was on the wing.....
Also Young. He's pretty much always been poor on the right because he can't cut out on his left foot, something he loves to do on the other wing. At least Valencia has shown good form at getting past players in the past two games on the wing. Palace had a tough time dealing with him.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Also Young. He's pretty much always been poor on the right because he can't cut out on his left foot, something he loves to do on the other wing. At least Valencia has shown good form at getting past players in the past two games on the wing. Palace had a tough time dealing with him.
Agree but i could see Young putting some average shifts on the right(much worse then Jesse though), same cant say for Valencia as im certain he would be awful.
Valencia is playing good at right-back and he should stay there, he is involved in part of the game where he is still pretty decent(build-up) and when he finds himself in the final third he is already in motion so its much easier for him to do something + it helped that we played against two awful teams.

The United

Jesse might not be the player many want as first team player. But, his work rate and off ball movements are excellent. One of the main things I noticed with him is that how he moves towards the ball or whoever has the ball to make sure they have an option to pass to when everyone just runs away. Sometimes you need quality like that on the pitch. Great football teams have to have people who work their ass off for more talented players who are usually lazy players imo.

Can't forget how many of them we have had in SAF's great teams while flashy players took all the credits in public.

SSSSnake

Jesse might not be the player many want as first team player. But, his work rate and off ball movements are excellent. One of the main things I noticed with him is that how he moves towards the ball or whoever has the ball to make sure they have an option to pass to when everyone just runs away. Sometimes you need quality like that on the pitch. Great football teams have to have people who work their ass off for more talented players who are usually lazy players imo.

Can't forget how many of them we have had in SAF's great teams while flashy players took all the credits in public.
He does give us balance that's for sure. He just needs to improve in the final third.

Red_Beans

good post

NinjaFletch

He's a very, very good player no matter how much some people want to argue against that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.