5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

,Whatever about the video, the fact is that he has been absolutely woeful for months now and we badly need an upgrade. I tried hard this season to see the positives with Lingard but any goodwill that I had for him is well and truly gone at this stage. He was getting away with it for a while when he was popping up with the odd goal or assist despite some pretty inept performances. He played well in the City game, I'll give him that much.

Some on here seem hell-bent on defending him to the point where it's just plain ridiculous. If anyone is satisfied with his performances overall this season - as a starter for our club - then feck me, standards are at an all time low. I've seen him play average - poor, and people on here will describe his performance as brilliant, amazing, etc. There's clearly no objectivity from some when it comes to Lingard. I honestly think the guy would struggle to get into bottom half PL sides, let alone be a starter for Manchester United. For me, he works hard yeah, but he's just far too limited as a footballer.

I also don't get the whole "he's earned his place" line of thought, as if he earned it through his own scintillating displays. The fact is that LvG has started him consistently so what's to say the likes of Memphis couldn't have played to his standard (not a very high standard at all) had they got the same run of games. Earning your place in our first eleven used to mean something but it means feck all now with the piss poor squad that we have along with a terrible manager and our abject, bland style of football that we play. So yeah, I personally don't think he's earned anything.
He will be in the lower realms of the PL or even Championship in a few years and the defenders of him now will of course distance themselves from ever defending him, when it was clear from November onwards that he doesn't look anywhere near the good enough standard.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
'Done well', He has had 4 good games out of the 37 appearances he has made. If that is the standard we are judging by then it's no wonder we are shite.
I dont know why people still believe he's been doing well. Look at his stats, he's been terrible considering the role he should play. On top, he misses way too many chances. Our standards really are poor if he's the best we can do at RW - in no other top club would he be a starter

NK86

That would be Fellaini and Rojo. Lingard has done well
Fellaini has not been too bad either while Rojo has been abysmal. Lingard is similar to Fellaini in terms of performances. It's just that Fellaini seems more ungainly.

facund

I've seen him play average - poor, and people on here will describe his performance as brilliant, amazing, etc. There's clearly no objectivity from some when it comes to Lingard.
Whilst this is undoubtedly true you also then have to admit that when Lingard has played "average-poor" or even, dare I say, decent there have been people on here that will describe his performance as awful, sh*te, garbage etc. The lack of objectivity extends to a large swathe of this thread.

A poster described it as tit-for-tat the other day and that is exactly what it is for the most part (it's the Rooney thread lite). Booyah politics at its worst, hyperbole coming from all angles, persistent calling out of "Lingard lovers/haters". All this leaves very little room for actual discussion and exchange for those that sit somewhere in between the two extremes.

Robbie Boy

Whilst this is undoubtedly true you also then have to admit that when Lingard has played "average-poor" or even, dare I say, decent there have been people on here that will describe his performance as awful, sh*te, garbage etc. The lack of objectivity extends to a large swathe of this thread.

A poster described it as tit-for-tat the other day and that is exactly what it is for the most part (it's the Rooney thread lite). Booyah politics at its worst, hyperbole coming from all angles, persistent calling out of "Lingard lovers/haters". All this leaves very little room for actual discussion and exchange for those that sit somewhere in between the two extremes.
True, it works both ways. Unfortunately when we are struggling, players like Lingard will always be singled out and vilified.

But there's definitely some on here who make him out to be a far better player than he actually is. I personally don't rate the chap; I done my best to pick out small positives but I think I'm done with him at this point.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He could maybe pass as a 4th/5th option on the wing when we have to rest somebody or are down with too many injuries. In no way he should be playing 20+ games from the start.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He is a starting winger/number 10 for Manchester United, and doesn't have an assist or goal to his name in months.

That really is just about it.

facund

He is a decent player and that is all a squad player has to be in my eyes. Capable of stepping in to the team and doing a job in several different roles, he'll never really be a "game changer" but he can be dependable, committed and adaptable. In an ideal world that is how he should have been introduced to the team rather than burdening him with a reasonably important job in his first season at this level.

I can see why people are so frustrated that he is a regular at the moment but when you look around for alternatives in the RW role we are left with Mata (who has just as often underwhelmed as impressed in that position) and then hypothetical solutions that are largely untested in LVG's system (Perreira, Januzaj or Memphis who has struggled in his favoured position). Why Nani was never seriously considered for the role I don't know but we should have signed a player of a similar ilk, and of equal or better calibre.

Lingard's recent form has been generally poor but I don't think he has particularly stood out as being poorer than the majority of the team around him. That doesn't excuse his form but it does provide a degree of perspective and context, even when he hasn't played the team hasn't looked any better or more creative. He doesn't hold the team back but increasingly appears to have regressed towards the mean.

Djemba-Djemba

He is a starting winger/number 10 for Manchester United, and doesn't have an assist or goal to his name in months.

That really is just about it.
Yep.

He's an incredibly average player generally anyway but the last few months he's been fecking rubbish.

I don't think I've ever been less enthused at seeing a sub come on when we need a goal than I did on Tuesday when I saw Lingard warming up. Other than Nick Powell in Germany maybe.

Christ, what a season it's been.

devil in me

Hes Tom Cleverley mark 2, he just plays further forward. Offers absolutely nothing amd should be nowhere near a United first team.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's clearly below the level we need, not sure he's even that useful as a sub long-term, and it's pointless him dropping down to the reserves, so with that in mind what sort of price could he fetch, young, English, and a level below the standard required for a club like United, £15 million? or am I been unrealistic?

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
He's clearly below the level we need, not sure he's even that useful as a sub long-term, and it's pointless him dropping down to the reserves, so with that in mind what sort of price could he fetch, young, English, and a level below the standard required for a club like United, £15 million? or am I been unrealistic?
especially when you consider how poor we are at selling players, there is absolutely no chance we could get 15 million pounds for him.

honestly, i'd peg him around 5-7 million quid.

C'est Moi Cantona

especially when you consider how poor we are at selling players, there is absolutely no chance we could get 15 million pounds for him.

honestly, i'd peg him around 5-7 million quid.
You're probably right, but we did sell Welbeck for a good fee, and with lower ranking English clubs having lots more money nowadays we could get a similar fee for Lingard, Sunderland, Stoke, Burnley etc might be interested.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I suspect he wouldn't be playing much if Januzaj and Pereira were not as hyped up as hot prospects before Van Gaal arrived.

"Oh look at me, I'm Louis Van Gaal and I do things out of the ordinary and promote players you'd least expect. Be impressed by my genius."

Piss off Louis, you mangled nose twat.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If Lingard had have finished the chances then he would have been very productive. I do fret he will go down the cleverly road of thinking he's made it. I'm not impressed seeing that video on the team bus. That annoys me. His long term future is based on taking those chances. He plays in a key position and you have to be reliable. He's got the potential to finish these chances. Needs to work harder.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hes Tom Cleverley mark 2, he just plays further forward. Offers absolutely nothing amd should be nowhere near a United first team.
Agree but I'd keep him as a squaddie until we get the rest sorted. But ultimately he has looked lacking and he will be 24 next year.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
No way this guy is anywhere near the starting 11 at this point in 12 months time if we have a different manager. Still afraid to go forward in a dead rubber game.
Agreed, he's not good enough to be starting matches at United. Wouldn't want him as a squad player either tbh

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
No way this guy is anywhere near the starting 11 at this point in 12 months time if we have a different manager. Still afraid to go forward in a dead rubber game.
no way is he a starter in week 1 of the new season if we have a new manager. even with no new additions to the squad, any manager can see he's got absolutely nothing to offer.

remember all that talk about him making the england squad for the euro's? me neither. for a regular starting attacking player, at united no less, and to not be within a galaxy of the national team should say all you need to know about his quality.

Agree but I'd keep him as a squaddie until we get the rest sorted. But ultimately he has looked lacking and he will be 24 next year.
i believe he'll be 24 before the end of this year.

BarstoolProphet

I swear if we moved the goals to the touchlines instead then Lingard would be one of the best players in the world.

Bojan11

Definition of average. Wouldn't even get in the squads for most PL teams yet starting for us.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
remember all that talk about him making the england squad for the euro's? me neither. for a regular starting attacking player, at united no less, and to not be within a galaxy of the national team should say all you need to know about his quality.
You should probably get your memory checked out because he has already been called up to the England squad this season.

Ryan7

Once again he's totally pointless. Laughable how he even gets a game, let alone every bloody game.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
so that's... 15 matches in a row where he's not scored or assisted. this was an absolute testimonial of a match too, and he never looked remotely threatening.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rubbish season. Doubt he'd even get in that Bournemouth side tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.