Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Pereira and Januzaj could easily have been given chances there. I know Depay has had issues on that side, but I'd sooner try him out there in place of Lingard.
Firstly, Januzaj has been injured a lot and it's well documented that his attitude is shit. He can do one. You have to listen to the coaches or you can be the most talented player in the world and you won't go too far at Man United.

I like Pereira but I don't really think he's a winger and he's not particularly quick, so I can't see why we'd drop a player who is outperforming his other first team counterparts to give him a go there. I must admit, I'd be giving Young and Depay a chance or two on the right myself - Martial has been rubbish there and Mata has been mostly rubbish wherever he's played though.

Having said that, is it really the time to be tinkering again with what is a half-competent looking team in the run in? I can absolutely see the logic in not doing that as every point matters for top 4.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Firstly, Januzaj has been injured a lot and it's well documented that his attitude is shit. He can do one. You have to listen to the coaches or you can be the most talented player in the world and you won't go too far at Man United.

I like Pereira but I don't really think he's a winger and he's not particularly quick, so I can't see why we'd drop a player who is outperforming his other first team counterparts to give him a go there. I must admit, I'd be giving Young and Depay a chance or two on the right myself - Martial has been rubbish there and Mata has been mostly rubbish wherever he's played though.

Having said that, is it really the time to be tinkering again with what is a half-competent looking team in the run in? I can absolutely see the logic in not doing that as every point matters for top 4.
His attitude was "shit" because the documented evidence that we have is:

a) his Belgium U21 coach was pissed that he didn't come back to play for them when Januzaj himself said that he wanted to use that time to get caught up to speed with Dortmund. Big fecking deal.

b) Dortmund's coach said that his head was always in Manchester. Fine, he should have handled it differently but again, so what? He wanted to be here with us. We should be so glad that we have players that would rather be here and nowhere else.

If in fact he does have a shit attitude, it's still not too late to clear that up at 21. But there was little else to suggest he had a bat attitude before he left for Dortmund.

As for Periera, I felt he was one of our best players on the summer tour in the States and he predominantly played on the wing. The guy is a serious talent with a bright future ahead of him, especially considered to Lingard who has probably peaked considering he'll be turning 24 before the end of the year and hasn't exhibited the necessary qualities that suggest he can be an elite player for us.

And yes, I too would rather give Young a look ahead of Lingard as well.

JoaquinJoaquin

Can you explain what this means? It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Are Herrera, Mata, Januzaj, Shneiderlin, Darmian and Rojo good enough for United?
Is Mourinho good enough for United?
It means that he is nowhere near good enough technically to play for this club. Why you are bringing other players up in relation to Lingard I'm not sure.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
His attitude was "shit" because the documented evidence that we have is:

a) his Belgium U21 coach was pissed that he didn't come back to play for them when Januzaj himself said that he wanted to use that time to get caught up to speed with Dortmund. Big fecking deal.

b) Dortmund's coach said that his head was always in Manchester. Fine, he should have handled it differently but again, so what? He wanted to be here with us. We should be so glad that we have players that would rather be here and nowhere else.

If in fact he does have a shit attitude, it's still not too late to clear that up at 21. But there was little else to suggest he had a bat attitude before he left for Dortmund.

As for Periera, I felt he was one of our best players on the summer tour in the States and he predominantly played on the wing. The guy is a serious talent with a bright future ahead of him, especially considered to Lingard who has probably peaked considering he'll be turning 24 before the end of the year and hasn't exhibited the necessary qualities that suggest he can be an elite player for us.

And yes, I too would rather give Young a look ahead of Lingard as well.
Probably peaked? He's fecking 23. It's not impossible but it's fecking unlikely.

And preseason is meaningless. Pereira's a good player but he ain't that good yet and his lack of pace is seemingly not what the manager's after. For me the guy's a CM but one who can happily fill in in the forward line or on the wings. Yet another not-right-winger that people are desperate to crowbar into the team for some reason.

And do you know the best way to clear up a shit attitude? Discipline someone rather than reward them for it...

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Probably peaked? He's fecking 23. It's not impossible but it's fecking unlikely.

And preseason is meaningless. Pereira's a good player but he ain't that good yet and his lack of pace is seemingly not what the manager's after. For me the guy's a CM but one who can happily fill in in the forward line or on the wings. Yet another not-right-winger that people are desperate to crowbar into the team for some reason.

And do you know the best way to clear up a shit attitude? Discipline someone rather than reward them for it...
Yes, I don't disagree with any of that. But I still think Pereira is worth a shot... let him see what he's worth, because my point is that all these guys should be given a chance to make the position theirs.

As for disciplining, no disagreement there. But how long does it take? We're talking about a highly subjective thing that most of us know very little bit about. If we knew as sure as day that he has a bad attitude, that's simply not defensible on his part.

Rossa

Against teams that park the bus, which many do against United, I fail to see how Lingard is a better option than Januzaj. He doesn't have more pace; Januzaj is a far better dribbler and can go past people, and I also think that Januzaj has that extra bit of creativity that can provide a goal or assist out of very little. Lingard struggles to dribble past a cone.

If there is space to attack into, then Lingard is better, imo, but we don't see a lot of that.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
It means that he is nowhere near good enough technically to play for this club. Why you are bringing other players up in relation to Lingard I'm not sure.
In your opinion, and some others maybe. I guess the problem is United fans have been spoilt for a long time, he might not have been good enough for some past United teams but this side is fairly average.
I mentioned other players because in my opinion they contribute no more and in some cases less than Lingard and some of them cost a lot of money.
Fact is he is good enough to play in this side.
As for the Januzaj love in :houllier:

JoaquinJoaquin

In your opinion, and some others maybe. I guess the problem is United fans have been spoilt for a long time, he might not have been good enough for some past United teams but this side is fairly average.
I mentioned other players because in my opinion they contribute no more and in some cases less than Lingard and some of them cost a lot of money.
Fact is he is good enough to play in this side.
As for the Januzaj love in :houllier:
No offence but you sound like Van Gaal here lowering expectations. Our current side is average you are right, and Lingard epitomises everything about this. Someone who has made 35 appearances (most of them as starter) should not be still hiding to not receive a pass. That is similar to what Cleverly was doing towards the end of his time here to. Add to the fact he is so limited in nearly every other aspect means he should not be playing for this club. A competent manager will suss out these shortcomings within a few weeks and then he will be sent to a Championship team where he belongs.

stevoc

When i seen he was getting substituted i was surprised because i had genuinely forgotten he was actually still on the pitch.

Sylar

Yeah, forget he was playing tbh until he got subbed.

But overall, he really needs to work on his end product / finishing. But mostly, he should be playing Right side of the attack not centrally. I know it worked against City (cos he did a marking job as well). But against lower teams hes not good enough for the central position.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, forget he was playing tbh until he got subbed.

But overall, he really needs to work on his end product / finishing. But mostly, he should be playing Right side of the attack not centrally. I know it worked against City (cos he did a marking job as well). But against lower teams hes not good enough for the central position.
He, at this stage, should be benched. Not been good enough. But it says more about the quality of our other attackers that he still gets in the side.

gza the genius

Fine? What's "fine"?

Now 13 straight starts without a goal or an assist.
We definitely need a new right winger to start for next season but I think Lingard is good enough to be backup. He offers pace, movement and usually quick passing. He isn't ever going to take us up a level on his own but in a team playing well I think he can do enough to offer positives.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
When he plays on the right he doesn't cross or dribble or even stay on the right so his fans say he plays better in the middle
When he plays in the middle he does nothing at all other than point occasionally so his fans say he's better on the right

Unless LvG is still our manager next season or our new manager is blind with an elf fetish he's nowhere near the squad let alone the first team

kundalini

There are some matches in which Lingard doesn't appear to possess either the technique, or the imagination, to play for United.

Given what we've seen this season, I'd say Lingard should be a sub, rather than a regular starter for us. I'd like to see Januzaj and Pereira get a fair chunk of the playing time Lingard has had.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It's no wonder we struggle to break teams down when Jesse Lingard is our number 10. Arsenal have Ozil, City have De Bruyne/Silva, Liverpool have Coutinho and Spurs have Eriksen/Alli. Lingard is just not good enough. He can't beat a man, he's technically limited, he rarely sees a killer pass or have the ability to execute it and he rarely shoots.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Against teams that park the bus, which many do against United, I fail to see how Lingard is a better option than Januzaj.
I believe that from the manager's perspective, Lingard has become a "trusted" player. Because we are in such a fragile position in the table, these trusted players become automatic selections and seem to be a protected species despite mistakes or subpar performances. I don't agree with it or pretend to understand it.

Januzaj & Pereira are in the "risky" category, these players are tormented with endless U-21 games, bench time, and clowned by almost substituting them into games before sending them back to the bench. If a risky player makes a mistake, they are then frozen out for the rest of the season.

JoaquinJoaquin

When he plays on the right he doesn't cross or dribble or even stay on the right so his fans say he plays better in the middle
When he plays in the middle he does nothing at all other than point occasionally so his fans say he's better on the right

Unless LvG is still our manager next season or our new manager is blind with an elf fetish he's nowhere near the squad let alone the first team
Yup. The Lingard fanboys are awfully quiet over the last few weeks and rightfully so. Championship level player. I thought at one point he would of made an OK squad player but we need better. 24 this year as well.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Yup. The Lingard fanboys are awfully quiet over the last few weeks and rightfully so. Championship level player. I thought at one point he would of made an OK squad player but we need better. 24 this year as well.
I don't know about anyone else but I've been quiet because this thread is quite toxic, and people seem to spend almost as much time talking about Lingard fanboys or (Lingard haters) than his actual performances. Is that what the player performance forum is about? Tit for tat agenda posting where you have to pick a side? Personally I find it hard not to get sucked into it all when posting in the thread so have stayed away.

For what it's worth most of his recent performances have been disappointing but in context of his relative inexperience and the overall team performances I still think he could make a very useful player in our squad.

JoaquinJoaquin

I don't know about anyone else but I've been quiet because this thread is quite toxic, and people seem to spend almost as much time talking about Lingard fanboys or (Lingard haters) than his actual performances. Is that what the player performance forum is about? Tit for tat agenda posting where you have to pick a side? Personally I find it hard not to get sucked into it all when posting in the thread so have stayed away.

For what it's worth most of his recent performances have been disappointing but in context of his relative inexperience and the overall team performances I still think he could make a very useful player in our squad.
It's not tit for tat. Most logical people can agree has been terrible in most games he has played this season. Defenders of him keep using the 'whole team was bad' excuse to, that doesn't wash with me unfortunately when you can't even do the basics right. In 3 years when he is in the Championship (unless LVG or Giggs are manager) then it will be interesting to look back at this thread.

eggwithsideburns

It's no wonder we struggle to break teams down when Jesse Lingard is our number 10. Arsenal have Ozil, City have De Bruyne/Silva, Liverpool have Coutinho and Spurs have Eriksen/Alli. Lingard is just not good enough. He can't beat a man, he's technically limited, he rarely sees a killer pass or have the ability to execute it and he rarely shoots.
To be fair he does shoot and pass but usually because his shot is a pass to the keeper.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Sadly spot on this.

Imagine we'd gone all out for De Bruyne last summer.

We'd easily be in the title mix.

Hell, even Firmino would have us in there and was very getable.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
It's not tit for tat. Most logical people can agree has been terrible in most games he has played this season. Defenders of him keep using the 'whole team was bad' excuse to, that doesn't wash with me unfortunately when you can't even do the basics right. In 3 years when he is in the Championship (unless LVG or Giggs are manager) then it will be interesting to look back at this thread.
The sentences following "It's not tit for tat" don't really support that statement.

JoaquinJoaquin

The sentences following "It's not tit for tat" don't really support that statement.
I see you now have to resort to try and criticise the post rather than defend Lingard's performances, but I can see why. That's cool.

Ryan7

He's a nothing player and has been all season. He's a Championship player at best. It shows just how pathetic our team is that he starts week in week out.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
As I remember him he started pretty well when he finally got his chance, both in terms of overall play but also in terms of goals and assist, nothing extraordinary, but good enough to atleast be a squad player for us. Now he's just become a nothing player doing the simple things all the time, he offers absolutely nothing, and just look like a player who'll do the simple things in order to keep his place in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.