g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
The Pedro comparison isn't that bad actually. 22 when breaking into the first team, a slick finisher, nice touch, good movement, well timed runs...

Obviously the gulf in class is severe but in terms of archetype he's similar to Pedro.

Acole9

Outstanding
If he can replicate the goals he scored in the Championship into the Premier League on a regular basis then I don't see why he shouldn't get more opportunities. The one he scored yesterday was well taken and his all round contribution was good too.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I think he's making the grade. He seems to be growing in stature and confidence with game time and he's already nailing down a starting place.

khoazany

The Pedro comparison isn't that bad actually. 22 when breaking into the first team, a slick finisher, nice touch, good movement, well timed runs...

Obviously the gulf in class is severe but in terms of archetype he's similar to Pedro.
I got done here when I said the same thing on August...

Jerch

Ah Pedro was the next big thing coming from Spain back then on this forum. I got laughed also when i just told opinion of my friend who is Barca fan and he doesn't really rated Pedro.

Back to Lingard, i don't know why so many people are so reserved about his ability and his talent. Everytime i saw him, especially in the pre-season matches since i rarely watch the reserves he looked quite good and i was suprised why he didn't get a chance in the first team and was worried that he will never get it. I was suprised about his dribling ability since i didn't see much of his dribling ability in reserves or in pre-season matches.

I think we should just watch and enjoy how his career will go from here but the early impresion is positive.

Classical Mechanic

I get called out on Twitter for saying that Lingard isn't the quality of player that we want to see in the CL for United on the wings. Congrats to the lad for the past one and a half performances. A long way back in this thread I say that I see him as PL player because he scores goals but I stand by what I say regarding United and the CL.

I get the feeling that a lot of fans seem to accept us as an also ran team now.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Shit. And there was me thinking you couldn't drag your trawler net of negative agenda posting into such an eminently positive thread. I owe myself a shot.
Don't get your hopes too low. Nothing negative about my post, and not meant in that manner. Just a surprising stat.

SirAF

Ageist
I'm very happy with him so far. At the very least I think he'll be a good squad player for us - and that's an important point. I would love if as many as possible of our squad players could be made up from the academy.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'm very happy with him so far. At the very least I think he'll be a good squad player for us - and that's an important point. I would love if as many as possible of our squad players could be made up from the academy.
He's shown, in recent games, he can be more than a squad player. I wouldn't hesitate in saying he's been our best attacking player over the last few weeks. Yes, he's been slightly inconsistent, but he's still learning.

Tosicsleftpeg

He's doing well and its great to see, good competition for Depay who needs a kick up the arse. Nice to see LVG looking to our own squad before looking at the transfer market, let Lingard get some game time and if he keeps it up we could have a new permanent fixture in the squad which I would love.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Ah Pedro was the next big thing coming from Spain back then on this forum. I got laughed also when i just told opinion of my friend who is Barca fan and he doesn't really rated Pedro.

Back to Lingard, i don't know why so many people are so reserved about his ability and his talent. Everytime i saw him, especially in the pre-season matches since i rarely watch the reserves and academy he looked quite good and i was suprised why he didn't get a chance in the first team and was worried that he will never get it. I was suprised about his dribling ability since i didn't see much of his dribling ability in reserves or in pre-season matches.

I think we should just watch and enjoy how his career will go from here but the early impresion is positive.
I agree. I think people are underrating his potential/ability somewhat because when he was younger he didn't shine in the reserves as much as the likes of Pogba, Morrison, Petrucci, King and a couple others maybe (Ajose always seemed to outscore him, and Daehli got people excited for a little while). However success in the reserves and academy doesn't define a player's future career.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Dint want to get overexcited and certainly not comparing their level but his style is like Muller. He's a very clard hard working player who has a bit of everything, so allround. He can dribble, he's fast, he's smart, turns quick, driven to score, can finish, can link up, can assist and plays at lm, cam, rm and could even do a job as 2nd striker I reckon. Just like Blind could do a job everywhere because he's quite allround (bar his physique), I have that with Jesse, the question is rather, to which level will he develop eventually.
Even if he just ends up being Muller Light that would be quite tasty.

Riz

Both were from inside the box.
Prior to Lingard's, the last goal we scored from outside the box in the league was Mata's free kick vs Stoke in December 2014. The one where he crossed it and no one got a touch even though Rojo tried to claim it.

Bape

Has this been discussed?

Lingard, who operates out wide, has a trick and is fast. Not fast enough, though, for Van Gaal. “I have said already in my first year many times we need speed and creativity on the wings. You have seen that now we play with Jesse Lingard and he is not the most speedy winger in the world, and Juan Mata is also not the most speedy winger in the world,”
Kind of bizzare, you can hardly compare Mata's pace to Lingards.

ZDwyr

Depay hasn't looked that fast either. Although maybe he just hasn't shown it yet?

Devil may care

Has this been discussed?

Kind of bizzare, you can hardly compare Mata's pace to Lingards.
Yeah I was actually just going to post in here after reading that in the transfer thread that maybe Lingard will get some chances in the second striker role. It seems LvG has looked at best teams in Europe and decided he wants blistering pace not just quick when it comes to the flanks.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Yeah I was actually just going to post in here after reading that in the transfer thread that maybe Lingard will get some chances in the second striker role. It seems LvG has looked at best teams in Europe and decided he wants blistering pace not just quick when it comes to the flanks.
Think he already knew it to be honest. I rekon his last move in his 3 year tenure is to replace mata with a pacey left footed winger.

Whilst we have mata its not much of a prioroty until all the other bits have been sorted.

Rake

I`m pleased for Lingard and I hope he gets even more playing time. This might be the last season for him to prove himself since in the summer if LVG is not convinced by him we might sign 1-2 wingers.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think LVG wants 2 speedsters and ibthink that will revolutionise our play. 2 robbens or 2 douglas costas or similar players who could cut inside and deliver quality but also can beat a man. I think that is why he loves young.
Jesse can become a good player, its all about how hard he is willing to work. Every aspect of his game can be improved and i am sure playing these minutes will help him alot. He needs to carry on doing the hard work, he seems to have a good attitude so i think if he keeps it up he will always be in the mind of manager. I like what i see of him right now although when i watched reserves he wasnt the one i would say would be here at 22! Not everyone can be developing at 18, i hope he can develope and become a good player.

NK86

I think LVG wants 2 speedsters and ibthink that will revolutionise our play. 2 robbens or 2 douglas costas or similar players who could cut inside and deliver quality but also can beat a man. I think that is why he loves young.
Jesse can become a good player, its all about how hard he is willing to work. Every aspect of his game can be improved and i am sure playing these minutes will help him alot. He needs to carry on doing the hard work, he seems to have a good attitude so i think if he keeps it up he will always be in the mind of manager. I like what i see of him right now although when i watched reserves he wasnt the one i would say would be here at 22! Not everyone can be developing at 18, i hope he can develope and become a good player.
I don't think LVG rates Young as highly as a winger. He is not productive enough and his final delivery is very shabby. He can beat a man but not in the same way as a Robben or a Costa can do.

As for Lingard, I think he is a very intelligent player who can be a very good squad option for us for years to come. I am not sure if he will be a nailed on starter for us next year if we are able to land someone like a Bale.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm impressed with him.

Seems confident. Specially the way he didn't rush that shot for his goal. Very calm.

Obiorahking_

:D I remember that. I thought it was pretty spot on, both might not be so great on ball per se, but it is their movement, eye for goal, and willingness to defend that gives them that edge. Not saying Lingard is at his level yet, but he can get there..

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Happy for him but it's too easy getting a call up these days.

lysglimt

Scout
I like Lingard - but him being called to the national side after 2 good matches shows a bit of the problem in the P.L. I am not even sure there are that many more deserving candidates - but there are certainly too FEW candidates

Boycott

Good for him but it is a bit of a joke.

So you play 5 good games at the start of your PL career and you get in the England squad....

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Good for him but it is a bit of a joke.

So you play 5 good games at the start of your PL career and you get in the England squad....
5 is a stretch. I'm glad for him though.

There are not many english wingers in form currently, to be fair. Still, I'd have taken Albrighton, Zaha, Redmond or even Deeney ahead of him.

Edit: Is he too old for the U21? They play tomorrow.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's been good recently and from what I remember he did very well for youth national teams too so no harm calling him up for a friendly. I don't think he's a worse footballer than Andros Townsend for example. You need to mix things up a little in friendlies because this is the only opportunity to try out new things.

khoazany

5 is a stretch. I'm glad for him though.

There are not many english wingers in form currently, to be fair. Still, I'd have taken Albrighton, Zaha, Redmond or even Deeney ahead of him.

Edit: Is he too old for the U21? They play tomorrow.
Redmond is the only one I'd take over Lingard.I don't think the rest has what it takes to play for England in the future.

Totally agree that this is way too early for Jesse.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Happy for him but a couple of good games and a few averages ones shouldn't constitute an England call up. Can't see LvG being happy about it either after his comments and the Carrick injury.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Was gonna make the joke as soon as he scored that I reckon he will be called up

Goes to show how easy it is to get an England cap these days. Be English, play in the premier league, make one headline....that'll do it

To think Steve Bruce never got one cap

Status
Not open for further replies.