g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyKills

there's the "squad player" bollocks again. no offence mate, but this clown has no business being anywhere near our team
That's why I said squad player.

Players who are better than Lingard won't be happy with a peripheral role.

What annoys me is he starts the big games. We should be better than that.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think and hope that this lad is just taking longer to hit a regular high standard of form. He's obviously come into the team late due to his size but he's supposedly techinically excellent? Hope it all comes together for him soon. He's been pointless this season.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Really don't rate him. One decent performance every 10 games isn't really good enough or what we should be striving for in a starting player.

opopop

Starting to wonder would it be worth swapping him for liverpool legend Aspas at half time

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think and hope that this lad is just taking longer to hit a regular high standard of form. He's obviously come into the team late due to his size but he's supposedly techinically excellent? Hope it all comes together for him soon. He's been pointless this season.
He's twenty feckin five this year

worldinmotion66

His finishing has been wasteful, but I don't think Martial would have got anywhere near to having these chances. Lingard's movement has been excellent again and I think it's quite unfair that he gets such ridicule. Mkhitaryan's missed another great chance but he won't get half the stick.

£100k a week player - obviously not.

Underrated a bit on here - I'd say so.

Verminator

His finishing has been wasteful, but I don't think Martial would have got anywhere near to having these chances. Lingard's movement has been excellent again and I think it's quite unfair that he gets such ridicule. Mkhitaryan's missed another great chance but he won't get half the stick.

I'd agree but he needs to finish those to change that (or become French)

JoaquinJoaquin

No offence mate, but give it a rest. This 'movement has been excellent' nonsense really needs to stop. He has ran around like every other player has. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He's twenty feckin five this year
I know but if Rooney has shown anything it's that different players hit their peaks at different ages. I'd rather lingaard any day to Rooney btw (nowadays)

Edit I've said it a few times; lingaard makes more than Thiago... Rooney makes more than any Munich player. Our club is more than a bit of a mess the last few years.

JoaquinJoaquin

I know but if Rooney has shown anything it's that different players hit their peaks at different ages. I'd rather lingaard any day to Rooney btw (nowadays)
Not much of a comparison though is it. Both shouldn't be at the club.

red4ever 79

Movement has been excellent my ass. Crouch offers better movement with that robot dance. Lingard is no better than Cleverley and look where he ended up. Wellbeck was better

Hawks2008

Don't know whats worse, his finishing away from Wembley or his legion of apologists.

worldinmotion66

No offence mate, but give it a rest. This 'movement has been excellent' nonsense really needs to stop. He has ran around like every other player has. Nothing out of the ordinary.
There are spoiled United fans that can't accept defeat or failure, and they have to find a scapegoat. First it was Rooney, then Fellaini and now Lingard. Ultimately, he's not good enough to be where we want to be, but he has his merits and is getting in the team through merit alone. It can't be denied that his movement off the ball is among his best attributes. There are ways of criticising a player without the meaningless 'he's rubbish' comments.

I'm not saying you are one of these posters, but there are far too many on this forum that don't seem to grasp these concepts and just knee-jerk comments left, right and centre.

JoaquinJoaquin

There are spoiled United fans that can't accept defeat or failure, and they have to find a scapegoat. First it was Rooney, then Fellaini and now Lingard. Ultimately, he's not good enough to be where we want to be, but he has his merits and is getting in the team through merit alone. It can't be denied that his movement off the ball is among his best attributes. There are ways of criticising a player without the meaningless 'he's rubbish' comments.

I'm not saying you are one of these posters, but there are far too many on this forum that don't seem to grasp these concepts and just knee-jerk comments left, right and centre.
To be fair, I have been called a 'hater' numerous times over the last 18 months with Lingard but I have just been honest and told it how it is with him. I have give him credit when he has played well, but I can honestly count on 2 hands the amount of good games he has had for us in the last 18 months. Which for a starter at Manchester United (because lately that's what he has been) it just isn't good enough. Jose likes him for some reason and seems to give him unlimited chances with Fellaini, that's what I find frustrating. With Mata back, Lingard should be spending some games on the sidelines.

Mr.Plow

fecking hell, Jose persists with a player with one league goal all season and then moans that we can't finish teams off.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Is he really a squad player for us considering he seems to start every big match?

I am someone who thinks he is useful and should remain at the club but in crunch ties these misses could come back to haunt us.

JoaquinJoaquin

Yeah, it's crazy.

The thing I find really weird is why offer him that? Where else is he gonna go?

If Dele Alli is happy on 45k, I honestly don't understand why Lingard couldn't be offered 30-40k and be over the Moon with it.
He turned down 60k a week if reports are true. So we offer him 100...

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Looks like he's going to complete the match, after another shocking performance. I appreciate Jose has to stick with his decision to give him the contract but for how much longer, it's already embarrassing?

worldinmotion66

To be fair, I have been called a 'hater' numerous times over the last 18 months with Lingard but I have just been honest and told it how it is with him. I have give him credit when he has played well, but I can honestly count on 2 hands the amount of good games he has had for us in the last 18 months. Which for a starter at Manchester United (because lately that's what he has been) it just isn't good enough. Jose likes him for some reason and seems to give him unlimited chances with Fellaini, that's what I find frustrating. With Mata back, Lingard should be spending some games on the sidelines.
I understand the frustrations with Jesse and I'm sure Mata will come back in when he's ready. I can certainly see the merits of playing Lingard in an away leg of a European semi final ahead of our other options though.

Status
Not open for further replies.