View full 2016-17 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Started 11 of the last 13 games and came off the bench for the other two. Got one goal and no assists in that time which seems about right.
Blows me away how many fans can accept this as ok, these are the same fans that would actually audibly groan non-stop at Nani.

Just a fecking joke. Lingard couldn't lace his boots.

wr8_utd

:'(
I don't care that he earns 100k because it really is nothing to us but I hate the fact he plays so much. He's the worst player I've seen in absolute ages. LvG did a lot of good with youth but giving this guy a chance was a big mistake. Really wish he doesn't play anything but Europa and the League Cup next season.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Well actually distance covered is a useful metric for how hard a player works, not where the player works hard.
Distance covered is not a metric of hard work. If it's not tied to sprints, areas of movement, average speed, area moved from/to, then it's just a number telling you how far they moved. The clubs pay for the expensive info. The public gets numbers to talk about and judge. In isolation they're useless.

You or I could get off the couch and meet the league average of distance covered in any given game tomorrow. Players really don't run very far during a game.

Moving around 8-11km in an hour and a half is not hard work on the top end or the bottom end. Especially as the movement stats keep running when the ball is out of play. Trotting around after a goal kick, corner, set piece isn't taking it out of you.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Distance covered is not a metric of hard work. If it's not tied to sprints, areas of movement, average speed, area moved from/to, then it's just a number telling you how far they moved. The clubs pay for the expensive info. The public gets numbers to talk about and judge. In isolation they're useless.

You or I could get off the couch and meet the league average of distance covered in any given game tomorrow. Players really don't run very far during a game.

Moving around 8-11km in an hour and a half is not hard work on the top end or the bottom end. Especially as the movement stats keep running when the ball is out of play. Trotting around after a goal kick, corner, set piece isn't taking it out of you.
I think i was alluding to what you said in my post but my wording was poor and there's some semantics here. You are right that distance covered requires contextualization.

Robbie Boy

Blows me away how many fans can accept this as ok, these are the same fans that would actually audibly groan non-stop at Nani.

Just a fecking joke. Lingard couldn't lace his boots.
Yeah but Nani wasn't a local lad so he didn't get cut the same slack as Lingard. It's utterly bizarre the lengths some go to defend him. I mean, do people actually watch him and think "yeah this lad is a cracking player". He just doesn't do anything offensively whatsoever and his form has actually gotten worse over the past 2 months.

Yeah but Nani wasn't a local lad so he didn't get cut the same slack as Lingard. It's utterly bizarre the lengths some go to defend him. I mean, do people actually watch him and think "yeah this lad is a cracking player". He just doesn't do anything offensively whatsoever and his form has actually gotten worse over the past 2 months.
Cleverley was more understandable for me as he was a midfielder so it was easier to mask his averageness, Jesse though, he's a fecking forward and provides absolutely zero chances game after game.

Even Nani on his worst day would always have a moment or two.

Djemba-Djemba

I actually want to hear from those people who were defending him earlier in the season and using the rare occasion he scored or assisted or did anything of note to say "Take that H8erzzz!!!"

What is it that they think he brings to the table? Genuinely. Because I've been watching him for 2 seasons and I can't see anything in his general game that is remotely good enough for Utd. I want to know what they see in him.

They've been silent the last few weeks.

AndyJ1985

I actually want to hear from those people who were defending him earlier in the season and using the rare occasion he scored or assisted or did anything of note to say "Take that H8erzzz!!!"

What is it that they think he brings to the table? Genuinely. Because I've been watching him for 2 seasons and I can't see anything in his general game that is remotely good enough for Utd. I want to know what they see in him.

I guess they've got tired of repeating the line about him being a decent local squad player who runs around a lot.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think i was alluding to what you said in my post but my wording was poor and there's some semantics here. You are right that distance covered requires contextualization.
All good brutha. Equally, my post wasn't in response to you so much as the standard line of "He works hard".

Robbie Boy

The majority of them could never actually put up a good argument in his defence and explain what it is that the rest of us mere mortals aren't seeing. So they resorted to pretentious behaviour like calling people 'haters' instead of trying to constructively debate what they perceive, that he brings to the team.

jem

I dislike everything about about him, both on the field and off it
I'm not a fan of all the social media nonsense, but he does come across as a very nice guy. Nowhere near good enough on the pitch though.

jem

I know the ship has well and truly sailed, but I'd still have Nani back on this team. We miss that mercurial genius that he provided (when healthy, which was a major issue in his last few seasons with us.)

Robbie Boy

I know the ship has well and truly sailed, but I'd still have Nani back on this team. We miss that mercurial genius that he provided (when healthy, which was a major issue in his last few seasons with us.)
Aye, he frustrated the feck out of me, but right now, he would be a good option.

buckooo1978

I was trying to place him in terms of ability in rank of United wingers of days gone by...

doesn't come close to Giggs, Beckham, Kanchelskis, Ronaldo, Nani or Lee Sharpe

more of a Kieran Richardson style player

I don't think he would have made it under Fergie and he's a player who should be playing for a mid table club or in the championship

sorry Jessie

Bole Top

man, when I remember how good Nani was during the 2010-2012 period and how easy he was benched despite that after having a bad game, almost like he was complete nobody.

and then I see this guy, forever in our starting eleven... I don't even have words for that.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
No surprise we score so few goals when we have a starter in an attacking position that plays so cowardly. He doesn't try anything. He knows he's not great at running at players, so doesn't try running at players. He knows his crossing is shit so he doesn't try going on the outside. All he does is come inside and pass on to the nearest man. You have to be more ambitious and confident in your own ability than that but i guess he can see his own limitations the same way that most of the caf can

Von Mistelroum

One of my least-liked United players ever. I can't see why he plays at all. He almost always looks like he's no idea what he's doing, and on the very rare occasion something comes off, it looks like a complete fluke. He doesn't seem to look where he's going when he has the ball and generally looks lost going forward. I suspect that in a few seasons he'll be turning out for Hull or something.

Crashoutcassius

1 goal and 0 assists in his last 13 games.

That's not even close to being good enough.
but mourinho is a lot better than you at knowing this, and picks him.

is it possible that stats don't tell the whole story in every case

Is it possible that players have other attributes than scoring or 'assisting'. Especially as a winger in a mostly defensive team

Djemba-Djemba

but mourinho is a lot better than you at knowing this, and picks him.

is it possible that stats don't tell the whole story in every case

Is it possible that players have other attributes than scoring or 'assisting'. Especially as a winger in a mostly defensive team
Go on then. What are Lingard's attributes?

And it's not just stats that show Lingard has been poor. Just watch him every game, he's giving us nothing.

For me a Utd winger that doesn't score goals or make goals shouldn't be starting 11 out of the last 13 games. Even if he is working hard or offering defensive discipline or any of the other things we're told Lingard does.

Crashoutcassius

And it's not just stats that show Lingard has been poor. Just watch him every game, he's giving us nothing.

For me a Utd winger that doesn't score goals or make goals shouldn't be starting 11 out of the last 13 games.
you can make a goal without 'assisting'

Also, Pogba has had fairly abysmal stats with far more minutes than lingard, and is the worlds most expensive player. Should we get rid of him?

the argument tends to come down to people watching him, and I would agree from watching him he isn't the most skillful player in the league, but

1) works exceptionally hard
2) is very quick, which combines well with 1)
3) none of the rest matters as mourinho is picking him and knows more than us about football

Thomas Muller isn't very quick or skillful or anything really. He plays a tactical role very well, and works exceptionally hard, with clever movement to boot. Lingard is a bit like him, and a bit like him is a late bloomer.

Park didn't put up amazing numbers, never looked like he had world class technical ability etc etc.

there are obviously thousands of examples where players like Lingard were very useful under good managers. Fellaini is another example, very effective player in the premiership for 7 or 8 years now. Still armchair fans question it while some of the greatest managers in premiership and world history pick him... laughable enough

Jonno

For me a Utd winger that doesn't score goals or make goals shouldn't be starting 11 out of the last 13 games. Even if he is working hard or offering defensive discipline or any of the other things we're told Lingard does.
I think it's a lack of other options than Mourinho thinking he's better than such a player.

The attributes that are getting him in the team is a willingness to do whatever the manager asks of him, to offer a high press, to offer a quick counter. When he plays well he does offer a lot, but he's been very poor this last few games.

He's second choice to Mata who has been out injured for the 13 games you talk about. I'm pretty sure Mata is getting conditioned to be ready to start in his place for the final, don't fret.

And next season, we will have more talented options, who will be Mourinho players. This season he's playing anyone who will agree to his style, next season he will have bought 3-4 more top players who will do the job better than the likes of Lingard.

Djemba-Djemba

you can make a goal without 'assisting'

Also, Pogba has had fairly abysmal stats with far more minutes than lingard, and is the worlds most expensive player. Should we get rid of him?

the argument tends to come down to people watching him, and I would agree from watching him he isn't the most skillful player in the league, but

1) works exceptionally hard
2) is very quick, which combines well with 1)
3) none of the rest matters as mourinho is picking him and knows more than us about football

Thomas Muller isn't very quick or skillful or anything really. He plays a tactical role very well, and works exceptionally hard, with clever movement to boot. Lingard is a bit like him, and a bit like him is a late bloomer.

Park didn't put up amazing numbers, never looked like he had world class technical ability etc etc.

there are obviously thousands of examples where players like Lingard were very useful under good managers. Fellaini is another example, very effective player in the premiership for 7 or 8 years now. Still armchair fans question it while some of the greatest managers in premiership and world history pick him... laughable enough
If you're honestly equating Pogba with Lingard then there is no point arguing with you.

Your defence of Lingard is he works hard and he's very quick. If that's good enough to be a regular starter for Man Utd we're going to be finishing 6th or 7th for many years to come.

Last edited:

Oscie

With everyone else there's at least the memory of a run of top-level performances. I think that's why the focus continually falls on Lingard even when others also play badly. We can see players who play poorly but know they're capable of playing to a much higher standard. It never excuses poor displays but it at least contextualises them a bit. With Lingard I'd honestly struggle to think of when he played well. And that's the problem. I know he broke into the senior squad later than possibly expected but the bare bones of the issue are that he's encroaching on 25, on £100,000 a year contract and I think if people are honest and put their hand on their heart they can't really remember a single game he's looked the business in, let alone a run of games.

Arguments of 'players mature differently' aside when was the last time a player turned out so often for a top club with so little going for him?

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He's a squad player Jesse but José does seem to give him "first" XI treatment. With all the injuries we've suffered he's also been called upon more often than usual as he's seemingly always fit; a huge plus for a squad talent. I like the kid but I recognise he's shortcomings. He's not fast enough to be a winger, he's not big enough to be a cm and he's not creative enough to be an am. I guess José likes his energy, his toughness and his eye for a big goal. Not much to rely on really.

Crashoutcassius

If you're honestly equating Pogba with Lingard then there is no point arguing with you.

Your defence of Lingard is he works hard and he's very quick. If that's good enough to be a regular starter for Man Utd we're going to finishing 6th or 7th for many years to come.
I think I'm more comfortable just letting mourinho decide rather than a random forum genius, that's all

Oscie

I've often said I'd be fine with Lingard as a squad player. But even then it seems as if we mean someone to make up the numbers rather than someone who could actually fill in from time to time and contribute. A tactical nowhere man, which is what Lingard is, would be better for us to have him as a squad player rather than part of the first XI but realistically what use would he be as a squad player?

"We have injuries up front, but luckily we have someone with a nondescript style of play to make up the numbers so we're fine!"

The point of a squad player is that they have to be ready to play and capable of delivering the required standard of play, not just someone we'd prefer to see on the bench than on the pitch, which is what I really think people mean when they defend Lingard's future potential as a "squad player"

Hawks2008

Thomas Muller isn't very quick or skillful or anything really. He plays a tactical role very well, and works exceptionally hard, with clever movement to boot. Lingard is a bit like him, and a bit like him is a late bloomer
You lost me here. You can't seriously compare Lingard to a guy who is a key player and consistent scorer at an elite club. Laughable comment.

Oscie

You lost me here. You can't seriously compare Lingard to a guy who is a key player and consistent scorer at an elite club. Laughable comment.

You get it all the time with Lingard, this false equivalence.

Muller isn't quick but works hard, therefore if Lingard works hard he's like Muller.

Messi occasionally has a bad game. Therefore if Lingard has a bad game he's a bit like Messi.

etc. Lingard is a great player if you squint and pretend that an aspect of his game or physical appearance reminds you a bit of a good player. Both he and Pele had two legs and would often play in advance positions. Anyone who can't see the parallels between the two is a hater.

stevoc

I was trying to place him in terms of ability in rank of United wingers of days gone by...

doesn't come close to Giggs, Beckham, Kanchelskis, Ronaldo, Nani or Lee Sharpe

more of a Kieran Richardson style player

I don't think he would have made it under Fergie and he's a player who should be playing for a mid table club or in the championship

sorry Jessie
You're right shouldn't even be compared to players at that level.

Other United wingers who were squad players like Park, Young, Blomqvist, Cruyff, Poborsky, Richardson, Chadwick, Bellion, Bebe, Obertan would be a better comparison. In that group i'd have him in and around Cruyff, Poborsky and Richardson.

Status
Not open for further replies.