Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yep Fletcher was the same but it's Lingards end product that needs to improve dramatically.
Yeah, his movement is very good, so hopefully he improves on his end product. The problem with players like Lingard is that their qualities need to be, almost complemented or offset by those around them. He is not going to be skilled enough to carry anyone's attack - which is the problem we've had over the years. Too many players who's simply not good enough to make anything happen and/or looking to offload the attacking responsibility to someone else.

It's a bit like how Park was an important player for us, offsetting and balance the skillset provied by players like Ronaldo etc.

Hopefully our signings have addressed this and Lingard could well be a good foil for players like Ibra/Martial/Mkhitaryan with his movement and interplay.

But yeah, let's hope our entire attack picks it up a couple of notches. There's been some promising signs, but alot of work still needs to be done.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But yeah, let's hope our entire attack picks it up a couple of notches. There's been some promising signs, but alot of work still needs to be done.
Agree looking better but lack of movement worrying.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Agree looking better but lack of movement worrying.
Shades of LvG even in the first half yesterday, everyone was so static in the final third, hardly anyone making a run or trying to get inbehind. :(

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Pretty sure Lingard is starting ahead of Mkhitaryan against Leicester.

(I can't post on the Leicester game, so can you answer me how much players are allowed in the bench and to enter as substitutes?)

Boycott

Pretty sure Lingard is starting ahead of Mkhitaryan against Leicester.

(I can't post on the Leicester game, so can you answer me how much players are allowed in the bench and to enter as substitutes?)
Standard 7 subs with max 3 to come on

unknownguy

Was my MOTM in the first half. We look so much more dangerous with his off the ball movement and energy. Makes up for the static slow dinosaur movement from Ibra and Rooney.

Also won us a lot of balls high up the field with his tackles, speed and workrate.

This will be Lingard's best season yet.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shades of LvG even in the first half yesterday, everyone was so static in the final third, hardly anyone making a run or trying to get inbehind. :(
Yep so obvious too that's why I wanted Mane.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Where do people get the notion that Lingard will start over Mkhi? Mkhi is atleast 5 times the player Lingard is and was one of the best players of the bundesliga last season yet you would rather play someone that gives no output.

eggwithsideburns

I'm hoping to see him start a lot less this season. Purely because I don't think he offers much apart from his energy and decent runs. He gives the ball away too much too and its not like he gives it away trying to do any creative passing.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Where do people get the notion that Lingard will start over Mkhi? Mkhi is atleast 5 times the player Lingard is and was one of the best players of the bundesliga last season yet you would rather play someone that gives no output.
So you'd rather have Mikhi start and people picking his performance apart, than allow him a proper bedding in. Nothing to say Mikhi can't show more in a competitive game but some might think it's a long season, we don't have to rush him.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
So you'd rather have Mikhi start and people picking his performance apart, than allow him a proper bedding in. Nothing to say Mikhi can't show more in a competitive game but some might think it's a long season, we don't have to rush him.
The only way you can get better is if you play. It's been said a lot that the only way Mkhitaryan gets better is when he gains more confidence and that comes from playing a lot.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
The only way you can get better is if you play. It's been said a lot that the only way Mkhitaryan gets better is when he gains more confidence and that comes from playing a lot.
I am not disputing that. Just fed up of us signing players and fans expect an immediate impact, instead of pacing them properly to benefit the team.
We can play him in competitive games to get him into form, whilst we look disjointed or set up for cohesion and gradually set him up for a starting role as he gets into his groove.

MattyB1986

Because people in this forum are fickle as hell and probably only judging him by the few pre-season games they've seen and albeit one was a testimonial that neither team looked bothered about but yet Mkhi is going to be a flop. Madness here sometimes!

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was desperate for Jesse to get his chance in the first team and when van Gaal gave him that opportunity he played well. Though, that was on the left, and when Martial returned to the left and Lingard moved to the right he seemed to just drop in quality. I thought it was another case of Martial where he could only really perform on the left and with Martial he wasn't going to get much game time there, but so far he's looked okay.

As others have said, hopefully José does wonders for his game because I do think he could be a good addition to the squad. He really needs to improve on his finishing, though, which is weird because I always thought it was one of his strengths.

OldTrevil

I was desperate for Jesse to get his chance in the first team and when van Gaal gave him that opportunity he played well. Though, that was on the left, and when Martial returned to the left and Lingard moved to the right he seemed to just drop in quality. I thought it was another case of Martial where he could only really perform on the left and with Martial he wasn't going to get much game time there, but so far he's looked okay.

As others have said, hopefully José does wonders for his game because I do think he could be a good addition to the squad. He really needs to improve on his finishing, though, which is weird because I always thought it was one of his strengths.
This, I feel his finishing has grown more inconsistent over time, hopefully he corrects it.

Beej

This, I feel his finishing has grown more inconsistent over time, hopefully he corrects it.
I think Jesse is definitely a better finisher than he showed in his first full season of top flight football. He had some misses where it almost seemed like he had too much time, some of his goals were really fantastic instinctive pieces of football though, with the FA Cup Final strike being the pick of the lot.

OldTrevil

I think Jesse is definitely a better finisher than he showed in his first full season of top flight football. He had some misses where it almost seemed like he had too much time, some of his goals were really fantastic instinctive pieces of football though, with the FA Cup Final strike being the pick of the lot.
I fully agree with that. Let's hope the added confidence from breaking into the first team and some Mourinho magic will do it for him this season.

Robbie Boy

Yeah not see much of Mkytarin it was the asset in Mane I was referring to as in the pace he runs in behind being what we sorely lack.
I see what you're getting at and I agree. We badly lack pace up top and I fear it'll hurt us again this season if we don't get it sorted. We have technical players in abundance but lack that player with pace and the ability to get past defenders. I feel Mane is wildly overrated and extremely erratic, though. I would rather Mahrez who would cost similar to what Mane cost. I'm actually surprised with the lack of interest we have in Mahrez.

JON.B

Sloop
I like him, don't understand why he gets so much criticism.

3KDré

I hope this is not a recurring thing. Mkhitaryan is clearly a better player, although I do understand him not playing today.

Minimalist

Wouldn't look much into it. We expect Mkhitaryan to produce higher quality than Lingard can. Unless the latter goes up a major notch (win-win for United), he won't be staying there.

Leicester 1:2 Man Utd

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Utilize players in his first eleven that are dynamic and can adapt well to a energetic, pressing game. So almost the opposite of what we are seeing today :lol:.
We lost a game out of our preseason in China, this is a warm up game for us. There will be a bunch of reasons you or I are not privy too as to why some players arent starting. I dont have any problem with us using this game as a warm up game which by its nature means there is going to be rotation etc based on training performance, fitness, integration into the team.

prath92

The guy is 10 times more valuable than januzaj and people want to get rid ?

Minimalist

Great run and finish. Keep producing that and there's no problems Jesse!

(Kind of shit defending too though let's be honest)

Status
Not open for further replies.