g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibi Dreams

I don't think he's good enough to be a squad player really. Not if we want to be challenging for the league, can you imagine him at Chelsea, City or Arsenal? I certainly can't. He gets into good positions but his conversion rate is diabolical. I wouldn't want him coming off the bench. If he does well this season I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong but I highly doubt it.
Chelsea, City and Arsenal all have some squad players that aren't great, so yeah, I could see him at those clubs in a backup capacity. Players like Jesus Navas or Oxlade-Chamberlain aren't really any more effective than Lingard is when they play

Mike09

I can't believe the thread was barely even half page full last week, and all of sudden reach to 4 pages after a few days. Unbelievable! :yawn: I'm done with this, no way I can stand a chance talking to people with above 7000 and 8000 messages with full of sarcasm.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Another guy who likes to make things up. Quote it! When did I say he is better than Willian? So is this what the issue has been? People think I said Lingard is better? :lol: oh dear me if only they read.
You said it was 50-50 between Lingard and Willian I am saying nowhere near! You also said he'd walk into the Chelsea squad. I'm saying not infront of Hazzard or Willian he wouldn't.

Mark Pawelek

Willian is far better than Lingard
Why are you lot talking about Willian? If you want him here start a new Transfer forum thread. The legitimate player comparisons are Lingard's current competitors: Young, etc.

Why does every thread on this forum have to be a transfer thread?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't think he's good enough to be a squad player really. Not if we want to be challenging for the league, can you imagine him at Chelsea, City or Arsenal? I certainly can't. He gets into good positions but his conversion rate is diabolical. I wouldn't want him coming off the bench. If he does well this season I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong but I highly doubt it.
We did have Gibson and Cleverley as subs, when winning the league multiple times. Also Lingard wouldn't look lost on the bench for Leicester the reigning champion.
THus, improving the first XI is far more urgent than improving squad players.

Jacob

Is it wrong to dislike him because of his looks and behaviour?

Dec9003

We did have Gibson and Cleverley as subs, when winning the league multiple times. Also Lingard wouldn't look lost on the bench for Leicester the reigning champion.
THus, improving the first XI is far more urgent than improving squad players.
He probably wouldn't look out of place on Leicester's bench, but Leicester are unlikely to do what they did last season again.
I'd say improving the squad is just as important as improving the starting eleven. I'ts great having a good first team but it only takes Mkhy to get a serious injury and suddenly Lingard is back in the side.
Personally I just don't think hes good enough full stop. I can't see him bringing anything to the squad even off the bench. I'd rather he wen't and we got someone else even as a squad player. That said, some people still rate him so I wouldn't go as far as to say i'm completely right.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
He probably wouldn't look out of place on Leicester's bench, but Leicester are unlikely to do what they did last season again.
I'd say improving the squad is just as important as improving the starting eleven. I'ts great having a good first team but it only takes Mkhy to get a serious injury and suddenly Lingard is back in the side.
Personally I just don't think hes good enough full stop. I can't see him bringing anything to the squad even off the bench. I'd rather he wen't and we got someone else even as a squad player. That said, some people still rate him so I wouldn't go as far as to say i'm completely right.
He brought us a bloody FA cup off the bench!

JoaquinJoaquin

So? Doesn't mean he is good enough to be here because of one goal. I think it will give him a stay of execution (i.e another season) and rightfully so. But that goal doesn't entitle him to a career at the club if he isn't good enough, which right now he isn't.

Shamwow

So? Doesn't mean he is good enough to be here because of one goal. I think it will give him a stay of execution (i.e another season) and rightfully so. But that goal doesn't entitle him to a career at the club if he isn't good enough, which right now he isn't.
Someone specifically said he doesn't bring much off the bench. He came off the bench in an FA Cup final and scored a scorcher. So actually he has proved that he can bring something very valuable off the bench in a high stakes situation, which is should be what you want from a substitute.

devips

Lingard. Fellaini. Valencia. Young. Jones. Integral part of Redcafe Demons Eleven. Smalling was there too. He somehow managed to squeeze himself out last season!

Shamwow

Let's get Ben Watson as well then.
Ah I didn't realise that it actually becomes a irrelevant to score an FA Cup final winning goal if a player from a lesser club has done it before.

Dec9003

Ah I didn't realise that it actually becomes a irrelevant to score an FA Cup final winning goal if a player from a lesser club has done it before.
I'm not saying that, I love that we won the FA cup mainly because we hadn't won it in donkeys years. I'm also really glad a player from our academy could score the winner, especially in a sport which is now riddled with foreign mercenaries. But, that said, I still don't think Lingard is or ever will be good enough which is my original point. If he proves me wrong this season then great, I just can't see it.

OL29

I'm not saying that, I love that we won the FA cup mainly because we hadn't won it in donkeys years. I'm also really glad a player from our academy could score the winner, especially in a sport which is now riddled with foreign mercenaries. But, that said, I still don't think Lingard is or ever will be good enough which is my original point. If he proves me wrong this season then great, I just can't see it.
Yes because the English players are all humble, moderate beings :houllier::houllier:

Shamwow

I don't think it's wise to get rid of squad players who have shown that they can contribute to winning stuff as Jesse has done, and are most likely happy to sit on the bench all season if that is what is asked of them. He's shown he can bring something off the bench, I personally like his overall play style. Whoever you replace him with will either be unproven or over-priced and there is a good chance that the player would have more of an ego either way.

OL29

I don't see how he's anything but humble, you never see Rooney toot his own horn
He was very humble when he was telling us all how the club can't match his ambition. And when he kicked up a fuss after RVP ousted him as our most important player, he showed real modesty. Great guy our Wayne!

Dec9003

I don't think it's wise to get rid of squad players who have shown that they can contribute to winning stuff as Jesse has done, and are most likely happy to sit on the bench all season if that is what is asked of them. He's shown he can bring something off the bench, I personally like his overall play style. Whoever you replace him with will either be unproven or over-priced and there is a good chance that the player would have more of an ego either way.
Perhaps not. But it's also very unwise to hang on to players because they scored in a final.
Lingard to me is a decent player who works hard enough and his link up isn't terrible. That said he gets into positions in which he can score and almost never does. I appreciate he came off the bench and scored in the final but before that he hadn't scored for months. I'm just not sure he's the quality of player that can come on off the bench and make much of if any difference. But he's pretty much our only right winger that isn't Mkhytarain so we don't have much choice but to hang onto him anyway.

Dec9003

He was very humble when he was telling us all how the club can't match his ambition. And when he kicked up a fuss after RVP ousted him as our most important player, he showed real modesty. Great guy our Wayne!
The club wasn't matching his ambition though, he was one of the best players in the world and we were buying and promoting shite.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I never minded the bit about questioning our ambition. I think when we sold Ronaldo, he would have every right to question the motives of the money men. I don't think he was about to leave, just like I didn't think Keane would leave when he wanted us to break the wage structure.

When we sold Ronaldo, people should rightly be pissed. We had absolutely no intention of being serious and we settled for lesser quality. We could have been MUCH smarter. Money and Robben would have been very good but we took the money

Shamwow

Perhaps not. But it's also very unwise to hang on to players because they scored in a final.
Lingard to me is a decent player who works hard enough and his link up isn't terrible. That said he gets into positions in which he can score and almost never does. I appreciate he came off the bench and scored in the final but before that he hadn't scored for months. I'm just not sure he's the quality of player that can come on off the bench and make much of if any difference. But he's pretty much our only right winger that isn't Mkhytarain so we don't have much choice but to hang onto him anyway.
I don't think keeping them on for another season to prove themselves further is unwise at all. I doubt his wages are relatively big and the other players & coaches seem to get on well with him - so what's the problem?

And he's already proved he can make "any" difference! What he needs to prove next is that he can do it more consistently.

Shamwow

I never minded the bit about questioning our ambition. I think when we sold Ronaldo, he would have every right to question the motives of the money men. I don't think he was about to leave, just like I didn't think Keane would leave when he wanted us to break the wage structure.

When we sold Ronaldo, people should rightly be pissed. We had absolutely no intention of being serious and we settled for lesser quality. We could have been MUCH smarter. Money and Robben would have been very good but we took the money
To be fair to Wayne his concerns have turned out to be somewhat prescient.

as-95

Frederico Macheda also brought us an even bigger title off the bench. It didn't make him Manchester United quality though and neither does the F.A Cup goal for Lingard. Lots of players throughout history have scored important goals for sides before being shown the door soon after.

Lingard is almost 24 years old and lacks the fundamental qualities that a forward of Manchester United calibre should have.

We have to be ruthless with transfers and cannot afford to carry passengers in our side. Look at the likes of Bayern who got rid of Gotze only 1 season after he brought his country the biggest trophy in the world.

Lingard is not good enough for Manchester United and his antics only add to fans' dislike of him. Unless he is happy with a bit part role at Manchester United, he should be moved on and if I was a betting man, I would bet that he will indeed be moved on sooner rather than later.

OL29

I agree somewhat; many fans shared the same fears. But we can't pretend that Rooney hasn't squeezed every penny out of the club possible. He's sacrificed his bond with the fans on more than one occasion only to be appeased by a big pay increase.

My issue with the poster I was replying to was him equating the rise of mercenaries with a rise in foreign players.

stevoc

It's great he scored that goal in the cup final, i think he could develop into a decent impact player off the bench for us and that match showed us that.

But he will need to improve on last seasons showing because in my opinion he wasn't good enough, now lets hope he does improve but if he doesn't and significantly then cup final goal or not he will have to be moved on.

Juliano Beletti scored the winner for Barca in the 2006 CL final, a year later he was sold.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Frederico Macheda also brought us an even bigger title off the bench. It didn't make him Manchester United quality though and neither does the F.A Cup goal for Lingard. Lots of players throughout history have scored important goals for sides before being shown the door soon after.

Lingard is almost 24 years old and lacks the fundamental qualities that a forward of Manchester United calibre should have.

We have to be ruthless with transfers and cannot afford to carry passengers in our side. Look at the likes of Bayern who got rid of Gotze only 1 season after he brought his country the biggest trophy in the world.

Lingard is not good enough for Manchester United and his antics only add to fans' dislike of him. Unless he is happy with a bit part role at Manchester United, he should be moved on and if I was a betting man, I would bet that he will indeed be moved on sooner rather than later.
Oh come on, his antics are incredibly harmless. If that's what makes you dislike a footballer god knows what some of the ones out there make you feel.

I don't think Lingard is good enough for the club but disliking him for basically feck all is daft.

Shamwow

Macheda got his chance after scoring that goal and he didn't take it - but he did get his chance and we kept him in the squad for the following sesason. He also got a lot more credit from the fans than Lingard gets.

And Gotze? An expensive buy compared to an academy graduate? He is hardly relevant. He did not score in the final for Bayern. Lingard scored for US. Gotze's effort was criticised by coaches, his wages were much higher than Lingards are and he had higher expectations in terms of game time.

It's great he scored that goal in the cup final, i think he could develop into a decent impact player off the bench for us and that match showed us that.

But he will need to improve on last seasons showing because in my opinion he wasn't good enough, now lets hope he does improve but if he doesn't and significantly then cup final goal or not he will have to be moved on.

Juliano Beletti scored the winner for Barca in the 2006 CL final, a year later he was sold.
A year later.. not a few months later! Plus Zambrotta was part of the equation.

I'm not saying he gets a free pass forever because of an FA Cup final winning goal! But it should buy him at least a season with us. It would be beyond stupid to sell him now.

stevoc

A year later.. not a few months later! Plus Zambrotta was part of the equation.

I'm not saying he gets a free pass forever because of an FA Cup final winning goal! But it should buy him at least a season with us. It would be beyond stupid to sell him now.
Well yes and no mate, yes i think he should get this season to see if he can develop further but not solely because he scored a goal in a final.

Shamwow

Well yes and no mate, yes i think he should get this season to see if he can develop further but not solely because he scored a goal in a final.
No not solely, I like him as a player for more than that. The reason I specifically brought that up is because someone said he doesn't bring anything from the bench, when he brought something very significant off the bench in his last competitive match with us.

as-95

Oh come on, his antics are incredibly harmless. If that's what makes you dislike a footballer god knows what some of the ones out there make you feel.

I don't think Lingard is good enough for the club but disliking him for basically feck all is daft.
Go back and read my post. I will spell it out for you below.

Lingard's antics are not the only reasons that makes people dislike him. I state that "Lingard is not good enough for Manchester United and his antics only add to fans' dislike of him." The key word is "add".

As I stated, Lingard is not good enough for our side and my post implies that seeing a player of his quality around the first team causes fans to dislike him. Silly dabbing videos and 'Snapchats' of the team getting attacked by opposition fans only adds to this dislike.

Football fans are very fickle creatures and the antics of Player X do not make them acceptable for Player Y. If player Y is far superior to Player X, most fans will make excuses for Player Y's antics whereas Player X could be crucified for doing the same.

For example, Luis Suarez bit an opposition player whilst John Terry racially abused another. However, they were defended perpetually by their fans due to the fact that they were the best in their respective positions. Do you think Liverpool fans would make the same excuses if someone like Iago Aspas did it instead? The answer is no. It isn't fair, but it is reality. Lingard's antics are much smaller in scale but compared to his quality as a footballer, he has much less leeway.

stevoc

No not solely, I like him as a player for more than that. The reason I specifically brought that up is because someone said he doesn't bring anything from the bench, when he brought something very significant off the bench in his last competitive match with us.

But it should buy him at least a season with us.
Ok fair enough mate, just seemed like thats what you were trying to say with this post. I think thats his best chance at a future with United long term also, impact player off the bench.

Shamwow

Go back and read my post. I will spell it out for you below.

Lingard's antics are not the only reasons that makes people dislike him. I state that "Lingard is not good enough for Manchester United and his antics only add to fans' dislike of him." The key word is "add".

As I stated, Lingard is not good enough for our side and my post implies that seeing a player of his quality around the first team causes fans to dislike him. Silly dabbing videos and 'Snapchats' of the team getting attacked by opposition fans only adds to this dislike.
Do the fans not remember his FA cup winning goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.