Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lingard goal and assists on pre-season tour

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Lingard goal and assists on tour

LA Galaxy 0:1 Manchester United (Assist for Rashford)

LA Galaxy 0:3 Manchester United (Assist for Fellaini)

Real Salt Lake 1:1 Manchester United (Assist for Mkhitaryan)

Real Madrid 0:1 Manchester United (Goal)

all clips c/o GifLord

I'll do the other players in the morning if they're not done.

prtk0811

He looks pretty decent on the right side in the whole build up until he gets to final third, where he makes bad decisions and bad finishes.

PoTMS

I like him but a player of his quality or (lack of) shouldn't really be regularly starting games for us.

Infestissumam

not surprised both he and Mkhitaryan start today ahead of Rashford and Martial. Against Marcelo and Carvajal, having two wingers capable of doing a job defensively makes a lot of sense.

I'm always shocked when I read about Lingard on here. I want Martial to succeed at United too, but I feel Lingard is often getting some unfair stick. Hope he has a massive game today.

Castia

Starts today because of Madrids attacking full backs I think. I would hope against West Ham at weekend we start with Martial or Rashford.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Wrong about what? The guy is bang average, and nothing he does today in a one off game against Madrid won't change that.
His selection, he's been trusted in our biggest games and he's done well in them. Scored in both the League Cup Final and FA Cup Final. Think you need to accept that he's got to be doing something right if Mourinho is consistently picking him for these occasions.

I'm not saying he's going to be a world beater, but neither were guys like Park/Welbeck and they were trusted for big occasions too.

SteveW

not surprised both he and Mkhitaryan start today ahead of Rashford and Martial. Against Marcelo and Carvajal, having two wingers capable of doing a job defensively makes a lot of sense.

I'm always shocked when I read about Lingard on here. I want Martial to succeed at United too, but I feel Lingard is often getting some unfair stick. Hope he has a massive game today.
Don't mind Jesse just not sure I agree that he's even as good as Martial defensively. He tends to just roam around wherever he wants whereas Martial is fairly dutiful in his tracking

Stringer

His selection, he's been trusted in our biggest games and he's done well in them. Scored in both the League Cup Final and FA Cup Final. Think you need to accept that he's got to be doing something right if Mourinho is consistently picking him for these occasions.

I'm not saying he's going to be a world beater, but neither were guys like Park and they were trusted for big occasions too.
Park was a far better player than Lingard.

Shark

@NotShark

I'm not saying he's going to be a world beater, but neither were guys like Park and they were trusted for big occasions too.
Well that's true, and I was actually going to bring Park up as an example of what a squad player at United should be. He was a fantastic player. I honestly don't think that Lingard comes close to what that man offered us.

AndyJ1985

I'm not saying he's a world beater, but neither were guys like Park and they were trusted for big occasions too.
Park played a big part in us winning league titles, not to mention he was a good player in the CL. Lingard scored one league goal all season and was mostly rubbish. Unless we're happy to be Arsenal (who are mocked on here) and only compete for domestic trophies, he's not good enough.

JoaquinJoaquin

Starts today because of Madrids attacking full backs I think. I would hope against West Ham at weekend we start with Martial or Rashford.
I think he will be our starter this season on most occasions, as much as fans of Martial and Rashford won't want to hear. I'm just hoping he has a good season. My expectations are low for him though.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I like Jesse and think he gets a lot of stick, but he shouldn't be a part of our best XI, really. It's testament to how poorly Martial and others have taken their chances in the side.

I think the upside in playing Martial consistently is much, much bigger than rotating him with Jesse, Mata and Rashford in the attacking positions. Just look at his output last season compared with Jesse (in what was largely a mediocre to poor season for Martial).

Connolly

I'm at a loss here if I'm being honest.

I look at Jese and I see a player that gives 110% every game. He wears his heart on his sleeve for the club and breaks his arse for United. However, in a time where we've spent millions in redeveloping our squad, invested in genuine household names and are clearly building toward challenging for the foreseeable future, I'm at a loss as to how such an average player is starting for Manchester United. I suppose, in reality, it is testament to how poorly others have been when given an opportunity. In truth, it gives us a great dimension in bringing pacey players off the bench but I can't help but feel perplexed in accepting him as a regular.

Am I wrong to feel like this?

Reactions: Damien

JoaquinJoaquin

I'm at a loss here if I'm being honest.

I look at Jese and I see a player that gives 110% every game. He wears his heart on his sleeve for the club and breaks his arse for United. However, in a time where we've spent millions in redeveloping our squad, invested in genuine household names and are clearly building toward challenging for the foreseeable future, I'm at a loss as to how such an average player is starting for Manchester United. I suppose, in reality, it is testament to how poorly others have been when given an opportunity. In truth, it gives us a great dimension in bringing pacey players off the bench but I can't help but feel perplexed in accepting him as a regular.

Am I wrong to feel like this?
Not at all. It's how most logical fans think about the situation.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Perhaps the likes of Martial and Mata aren't fit to start....?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Perhaps the likes of Martial and Mata aren't fit to start....?
Why wouldn't Martial be fit? He's been available for all of the tour but played the fewest minutes from the attacking players. Mourinho doesn't rate him that highly compared to the others.

When Lingard was available for the tour, he had one of the highest minutes played so Jose rates him highly.

Connolly

It is and I feel starting him so much will cost us in the end up this season. Just hoping he improves tenfold. Never wanted a United player to prove me wrong as much in my life!
I'll second that. Would love him to achieve the unthinkable - I just don't ever see it. Anyways, Mourinho loves him so we may just get used to it. I reckon tis' between Jese and Fellaini for future captain.

acnumber9

So Mourinho thinks he is better than both Martial and Rashford?
He's probably a better left back given that's where he is playing. I don't get playing Darmian because he's 'good defensively' then have somebody else do his job at left back.

luke511

His runs are extremely frustrating sometimes, seems to run into spaces he can't be passed to on the inside rather than going far wide when someone like pogba is running into the final third.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No amount of mental gymnastics will convince me Martial isn't a better option on the wing. I like Lingard but he's a squad player and should be given minutes befitting of one.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
No amount of mental gymnastics will convince me Martial isn't a better option on the wing. I like Lingard but he's a squad player and should be given minutes befitting of one.
Going forward I expect Mourinho would agree too, but he clearly rates Lingard's defensive game against the big boys.

AndyJ1985

Going forward I expect Mourinho would agree too, but he clearly rates Lingard's defensive game against the big boys.
Putting out a defensive attack is only going to end one way.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Wouldn't be so bad if Lingard wasn't ahead of fecking Darmian. Dearie me!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thank God Real spared us the misery of seeing him go toe to toe against Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.