Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No one expected that. He didn't play a single minute during their pre-season and was never going to start the game.
This was a hybrid between an important game and a friendly. I honestly thought that he would get more minutes. Irrespective of that, Real are absolutely lethal going forward. They got people like Isco, Bale, Ronaldo + their reserves (Asensio, Vazquez) can cause so much damage to anyone's defense. We lack that quality and we therefore had to compensate with steel and workrate. Martial simply doesn't backtrack enough.

Honestly the way Mou is handling Martial reminds me of how SAF handled a young Ronaldo. Ronaldo's talent was undeniable from day 1 and from day 1 we really had no alternative to him. Yet, whenever Ronaldo decided to go solo, SAF would make him sit on the bench and replace him with Darren Fletcher to give him a lesson. It was painful to watch but it did its trick. Ronaldo learnt that football is a team game and he became the best player in the world.

RC89

The difference in class between Lingard and Rashford last night was nothing short of huge. So much more ability on the ball. Rashford was giving Carvajal (a world class RB IMO) a terrible time. In the end they started doubling up on him.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
You have to wonder if he'll start on Sunday. I think we'll see Martial instead.

Siorac

Mou expected Real to play Ronaldo. You don't put Martial to double mark the best player in the world. The Frenchman has yet to comprehend the concept of backtracking.

I see Lingard in the same way as I see Fellaini. They are a consequence of a squad which has serious deficiences. Hopefully we will outgrow them both next season.
No one expected that. He didn't play a single minute during their pre-season and was never going to start the game.
And even if he had played, he would have been on the other side of the pitch!

JoaquinJoaquin

You have to wonder if he'll start on Sunday. I think we'll see Martial instead.
I honestly think Lingard would of started, but now surely his days as a starter are finished. If José starts him Sunday he is on a crusade to finish out of the Top 4 again.

Mr.Plow

Lin-gard, gard, gard
His dabbing makes us hard
Lin-gard, gard, gard
His movement catches them off guard
To the left, to the right, he's always out of the opposition's sight
He's a mule but he's local and he shits on Martial

:drool:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How did he play last night? I was working so couldn't catch the game. Although I heard he wasn't great?

Siorac

I honestly think Lingard would of started, but now surely his days as a starter are finished. If José starts him Sunday he is on a crusade to finish out of the Top 4 again.
We thought that so many times but he always comes back. As someone said earlier, he's a survivor. He'll start and be invisible in plenty of games this season, too.

drdoityourself

Why is it that managers don't see the defensive upside of starting someone more threatening? By starting Martial Carvajal would surely be less interested in going forward and leaving space behind. Lingard just invites pressure because no one has to worry about him.

As I've said numerous times he shouldn't get off lightly because of his squad player status, because he's more than that and has never shown any consistensy to warrant his place.

The guy is so far off in quality as a starter it's farcical. He's shown no improvement since he broke through. His best performances are always in preseason when teams aren't bothered to match his intensity.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why is it that managers don't see the defensive upside of starting someone more threatening? By starting Martial Carvajal would surely be less interested in going forward and leaving space behind. Lingard just invites pressure because no one has to worry about him.

As I've said numerous times he shouldn't get off lightly because of his squad player status, because he's more than that and has never shown any consistensy to warrant his place.

The guy is so far off in quality as a starter it's farcical. He's shown no improvement since he broke through. His best performances are always in preseason when teams aren't bothered to match his intensity.
Fear.

fallengt

Oscar was a much better player than Jesse in fairness.
Doesn't matter. Oscar's playing fecking chinese league now when the other guy(De Bruyne) is a real gem

Lingard is a good squad player but he shouldn't start against much better team. Has he ever turn up in one ?

Djemba-Djemba

This!

People say he does more defensive work than Rashford and Martial but it's because Lingard starting gives the opposition full back license to get forward.

They know they won't have to do any defending because Lingard is in no way a threat. So they can attack.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
How is he a professional footballer?

I'm struggling to work out what he excels in, i was told by a friend that he has good movement but is that sufficient, i would say even at champioship level club he would be found out?

Siorac

How is he a professional footballer?

I'm struggling to work out what he excels in, i was told by a friend that he has good movement but is that sufficient, i would say even at champioship level club he would be found out?
Yeah, I'm even struggling to see this fabled good movement. He was absolutely invisible last night; you'd expect someone with such great movement to get on the ball in dangerous positions every once in a while but no, nothing like that.

I think his movement is over-emphasised and overrated in absence of any obvious outstanding quality of his. He can take a nice shot every once in a while, runs around a lot... and that's about it.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Yeah, I'm even struggling to see this fabled good movement. He was absolutely invisible last night; you'd expect someone with such great movement to get on the ball in dangerous positions every once in a while but no, nothing like that.

I think his movement is over-emphasised and overrated in absence of any obvious outstanding quality of his. He can take a nice shot every once in a while, runs around a lot... and that's about it.
His movement is so good that we can't spot him on the pitch.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry

He fooled LVG and is doing the same to Mourinho....hopefully not for long.

He can Dab off!

Craig Ward

The likes of Lingard/Fellaini/Young really do highlight the gulf in quality between us and the top teams.

With Lingard especially, he seems to offer no attacking movement or goal threat. He is mid to bottom premier league standard and is extremely fortunate to be around our 1st team. He has got lucky in recent seasons due to us having literally no other options.

His dancing around in the changing room with his pal pogba appears to be more important to him than his football on the pitch, as he puts little effort into improving his gameplay based on the last 2 seasons. A Man utd calibre player should offer so much more, him and Pogba really grate on me thinking they are world beaters when in football terms they are miles off

Last nights game, albeit a "friendly" of sorts should act as a wake up call to so many of our players. A change in mentality and attitude is needed badly.

If we want to challenge for the premier league title, Lingard needs to play as little as possible, with Martial and Rashford playing much more. Lingard should be nowhere near out x11.

To highlight how poor Lingard is, if you could imagine he was available for transfer, would any top teams in this country or others want him? I would suspect clubs like West Ham, Swansea etc would be his level. Possibly he'd get a club a bit higher, like Everton, Spurs, but he would be a rotation option there. That in itself tells you everything there is to know about Lingard.

Shame Bale isn't open to the move, we need him

dove

One of our most consistent players. You just know it's going to be 10vs11 when he plays.

Siorac

The likes of Lingard/Fellaini/Young really do highlight the gulf in quality between us and the top teams.

With Lingard especially, he seems to offer no attacking movement or goal threat. He is mid to bottom premier league standard and is extremely fortunate to be around our 1st team. He has got lucky in recent seasons due to us having literally no other options.

His dancing around in the changing room with his pal pogba appears to be more important to him than his football on the pitch, as he puts little effort into improving his gameplay based on the last 2 seasons. A Man utd calibre player should offer so much more, him and Pogba really grate on me thinking they are world beaters when in football terms they are miles off

Last nights game, albeit a "friendly" of sorts should act as a wake up call to so many of our players. A change in mentality and attitude is needed badly.

If we want to challenge for the premier league title, Lingard needs to play as little as possible, with Martial and Rashford playing much more. Lingard should be nowhere near out x11.

To highlight how poor Lingard is, if you could imagine he was available for transfer, would any top teams in this country or others want him? I would suspect clubs like West Ham, Swansea etc would be his level. Possibly he'd get a club a bit higher, like Everton, Spurs, but he would be a rotation option there. That in itself tells you everything there is to know about Lingard.

Nah, I think that's rubbish. He is just limited, he doesn't have the talent. There's nothing to indicate he's not willing to work hard but he just lacks the natural ability.

shield

We thought that so many times but he always comes back. As someone said earlier, he's a survivor. He'll start and be invisible in plenty of games this season, too.
Yeah .. This seems kind of true. When he plays, he is quite average apart from a few moments. But when he is dropped, the starting 11 also don't play that well and this leads to the misconceived notion that introducing Lingard might change things.

Think he should not be made to start games. Should only be brought on as a sub if at all.

Trizy

Championship player at best. And not one who would be in an XI fighting for promotion either.

Like others have said, it's like playing 10v11 when he plays.

Siorac

Yeah .. This seems kind of true. When he plays, he is quite average apart from a few moments. But when he is dropped, the starting 11 also don't play that well and this leads to the misconceived notion that introducing Lingard might change things.

Think he should not be made to start games. Should be brought on as a sub if at all.
He's a 'good squad player' in a very limited sense. He should be played in dead rubber games, ie.: if we're already through to the next round in the CL or we're 5-0 up after the first leg of a League Cup semi-final. He can play against lower league teams in the domestic cups. He could be brought on when we're either winning or losing comfortably to prevent injuries to better players.

But starting him against Real Madrid is insane.

barmyarmy

:lol::lol:

Craig Ward

Nah, I think that's rubbish. He is just limited, he doesn't have the talent. There's nothing to indicate he's not willing to work hard but he just lacks the natural ability.
Agree he is limited, but the perception with all this rubbish dancing around doesn't paint him ina good light.

I don't care what footballers get up to in general, but when you are starting for Man Utd and showed no improvement in 2 seasons I'd expect a little more from him, especially given he is a local lad and been around the club for years. His attitude should mirror the beckhams, nevilles, scholes etc. But he;s acting like he's made it already.

Pogba is the same, his performance yesterday in another big game was quite poor. 90mil seems a rip off so far

shield

He's a 'good squad player' in a very limited sense. He should be played in dead rubber games, ie.: if we're already through to the next round in the CL or we're 5-0 up after the first leg of a League Cup semi-final. He can play against lower league teams in the domestic cups. He could be brought on when we're either winning or losing comfortably to prevent injuries to better players.

But starting him against Real Madrid is insane.
I honestly feel he is being included just to prove a point to Martial about something that Martial is doing wrong.

Shamshi

His off the ball movement is absolutely breathtaking. He also works very hard, probably more than our whole team combined. Those menacing runs he makes are a joy to watch! He's a local lad as well! He will be a starter for us this season. He is still young and new to top flight football, we are watching greatness here.

He is actually worse than Cleverley....

AndyJ1985

He's still so young and has so much potential, but unfortunately for us he ages in dog years and will be 25 later this year.

Pace Abuser

The reason there's never any posts in here after a good performance, is because there never is a good performance.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Park Ji-Sung was a comfortably better player than Lingard. It's not even close tbh, Park was mentally on another level.

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
He's still so young and has so much potential, but unfortunately for us he ages in dog years and will be 25 later this year.
25 isn't that young really? He will become marginally better than he is in coming years and that's it. He really shouldn't be starting any games unless necessary. The moment Martial comes back to his old self or we buy a winger he probably won't.

Crashoutcassius

its because his poor performance are more common and he brings nothing to the team that my dog couldn't do
Just find it funny. Fellaini playing well so we all migrate to the lingard thread for a couple of weeks until fellaini has a poor performance and then he can be the reason we aren't doing well (instead of the truth, that mourinho isn't doing his job better)

Status
Not open for further replies.