5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home&Away

I like lingard but playing him out wide makes him look even worse than he is. Same with martial & Rashford.

stevoc

Someone else can put in a solid-but-not-spectacular 6/10 performance for 4 consecutive matches and no one says anything. Lingard does it and he's not United quality and needs to be shipped out immediately because he's not skinning defenders, scoring screamers, or creating five chances a game.
I think you are being very generous to say Lingard regularly has runs of games where he puts in 6 out of 10 performances, 6/10 is above average and he didn't do that last season certainly not in the 2nd half of the season anyway. He tended to have a good game and then 4-5 anonymous ones.

To play as a winger for Man Utd to have your performances rated as above average then if you are not scoring goals you have to be regularly creating them. Lingard unfortunately does not. Now i'm not saying he has to score or assist every game to play well but if you are regularly going 5-6-7 games in a row without even scoring or assisting once as Lingard does then you are not contributing enough.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Lingard was playing in a relatively new position (wing back) yesterday against some very classy players. Having a tough game was the most predictable story of the night.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think you are being very generous to say Lingard regularly has runs of games where he puts in 6 out of 10 performances, 6/10 is above average and he didn't do that last season certainly not in the 2nd half of the season anyway. He tended to have a good game and then 4-5 anonymous ones.

To play as a winger for Man Utd to have your performances rated as above average then if you are not scoring goals you have to be regularly creating them. Lingard unfortunately does not. Now i'm not saying he has to score or assist every game to play well but if you are regularly going 5-6-7 games in a row without even scoring or assisting once as Lingard does then you are not contributing enough.
Mate, his performances from the Chelsea game to the end of the season literally averaged 6/10 from Sky, and that's the period he was apparently shite for. His whoscored rating for the entirety of last season is 6.7/10, and was over 7 for the season before.

Lingard is the very definition of a solid 6/10 player. If he was scoring and assisting regularly he'd be a 7 or 8/10 player. If he was winning matches on his own he'd be 8 or 9/10. He's not what you'd call error prone, but he's not really someone who'll make a difference either. As I've said now multiple times, he does a job, and he does it reasonably well more often than not.

Too many people expect squads to be built like it's Fifa or Football Manager. Players over 30 are ancient and past it. If you've hit 21 and haven't peaked then you're a wasted talent. If you do anything on a football pitch that can't be detailed in numbers then you mustn't have done anything. The only players a team should have are world class, otherwise they're shit.

Dobbs

Mate, his performances from the Chelsea game to the end of the season literally averaged 6/10 from Sky, and that's the period he was apparently shite for. His whoscored rating for the entirety of last season is 6.7/10, and was over 7 for the season before.

Lingard is the very definition of a solid 6/10 player. If he was scoring and assisting regularly he'd be a 7 or 8/10 player. If he was winning matches on his own he'd be 8 or 9/10. He's not what you'd call error prone, but he's not really someone who'll make a difference either. As I've said now multiple times, he does a job, and he does it reasonably well more often than not.

Too many people expect squads to be built like it's Fifa or Football Manager. Players over 30 are ancient and past it. If you've hit 21 and haven't peaked then you're a wasted talent. If you do anything on a football pitch that can't be detailed in numbers then you mustn't have done anything. The only players a team should have are world class, otherwise they're shit.
There's are also players who just aren't good enough.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

More often than not, he's shit. I doubt he'd be a starter even for Swansea, one of the struggles last season.
If he's doing reasonably well, how would you describe Fellaini who was much more effective than him? Excellent job?

Last edited:

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Genuine question here, not flaming just curious to see the responses...

Is Lingard the worst player to make 50 starts for United?
Imho Fletchers first 50 games were far worse than Lingards. Apparently Fletcher did come good (although this is something I've never agreed with).

mattsville

I think he is a good player when drifting around the final third, he is clever and confident and has a goal in him but he is not built to play out wide, he does'nt have the pace to beat fullbacks and his distribution is not good enough, Jose knows this, if we do sign a wide player like we want to he will not be a starter anymore. There is a lot of over the top criticism of him though, probably frustration, we know we need to upgrade out wide to compete at the top, we are trying, we did it with Matic so now you won't see Fellaini start as often it will probably happen with Jesse too, but again he has a place here, he is a very good squad player, a local player and a bubbly confident personality, he is still only 24 and I think he will get a lot better, but right now the standard in the PL is so competitive with the money everybody has we need something more out wide to compete, let's see if we get it done before the window closes.

Red Devil Rising

Will probably get stick for this, but I've hated the sight of this player ever since the video he took during the West Ham bus attack.

He hardly played that night (only came on with a few minutes to spare) so isn't at all responsible for the performance that night, but it's his actions on the bus that make me long for the good old days, and I'm only 31!

Wailing, laughing and generally making a twat of himself during a time like that it's of little surprise we've been such a horror show since Fergie left.

Full of weak and immature characters. Lingard, Shaw, Smalling, Depay to name a few.

The type of leaders we've had in the past, the likes of Stam, Neville, Keane, Giggs, Robson etc. A world away from the current crop of shite.

Mourinho is improving upon this with the likes of Bailly, Matic and Zlatan but Lingard, can't stand the kid.

stevoc

Its always whoscored match ratings that are wheeled out in these discussions. They seem to be very generous in issuing arbitrary ratings based on who fecking knows what criteria.

I prefer to judge by what i actually see and in my opinion Lingard is not a consistently above average player. Average for me is a player who puts in a shift, reasonably contributes to attacks and doesnt make many feck ups. Which literally describes Lingard most games.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
When he gets sold/released i will celebrate. Shit player with absolutely no talent. If he was at anyother academy, he would be released by now and be playing for blackburn rovers.

serxyo

He just posted on instagram:
Always forgive, but never forget, learn from mistakes, but never regret.

Looks like fans went really too hard on him, I think we should stand behind our players and treat them like they deserve to. After all he's training as much as he can and it's not his fault that we lost the game vs Real.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
He just posted on instagram:
Always forgive, but never forget, learn from mistakes, but never regret.

Looks like fans went really too hard on him, I think we should stand behind our players and treat them like they deserve to. After all he's training as much as he can and it's not his fault that we lost the game vs Real.
He shouldnt be there. Doesnt deserve to be there, I know its not his job to select the team, but fans are gonna respond to what they see. I think every one can see he is not good enough for the premiership let alone us. Hence he will get hate, specially if he keeps more talented players out of the team.

Hawks2008

Will probably get stick for this, but I've hated the sight of this player ever since the video he took during the West Ham bus attack.

He hardly played that night (only came on with a few minutes to spare) so isn't at all responsible for the performance that night, but it's his actions on the bus that make me long for the good old days, and I'm only 31!

Wailing, laughing and generally making a twat of himself during a time like that it's of little surprise we've been such a horror show since Fergie left.

Full of weak and immature characters. Lingard, Shaw, Smalling, Depay to name a few.

The type of leaders we've had in the past, the likes of Stam, Neville, Keane, Giggs, Robson etc. A world away from the current crop of shite.

Mourinho is improving upon this with the likes of Bailly, Matic and Zlatan but Lingard, can't stand the kid.
Yeah that video was fecking stupid, made himself look like a massive dickhead

Mr Smith

So Mourinho thinks he is better than both Martial and Rashford?
No, of course not, don't be silly. He was selected because Real are the best team in the world and we were being very conservative; Lingard will be willing to track back much more than Martial or Rashford would. I don't necessarily agree with it, but the reason for his selection was pretty clearly to contain.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Agree with everything, we even have the same age :lol:

Frank Grimes

I really hate the idea that some have that Lingard has great movement and gets unfair stick. Like it is a nuanced part of the game that only trained eyes can spot and mere mortals like myself who thinks he's a poor player don't get.

Complete tripe, I've been watching football for nearly 30 years and Lingard is not a starter for a team looking to compete for anything other than failure.

flappyjay

The position that gets judged based on stats is of the striker and the three playing behind him.You have to be regularly getting assists or scoring goals for a club like United. Tracking back and "working hard" should be an added bonus not the main quality of a player in that position.

jamesblonde

Genuine question here, not flaming just curious to see the responses...

Is Lingard the worst player to make 50 starts for United?
Cleverley was a whole level below Lingard, destructive in his awfulness. He played more sideways passes than Garry Neville and more backwards passes than Paul Parker.

jamesblonde

Imho Fletchers first 50 games were far worse than Lingards. Apparently Fletcher did come good (although this is something I've never agreed with).
Yes, Fletch's first 50 were truly awful. To think Fergie used to mention him in the same breath as Ronaldo and Rooney: 'If he had pace, he would have been world class'.

Siorac

Cleverley was a whole level below Lingard, destructive in his awfulness. He played more sideways passes than Garry Neville and more backwards passes than Paul Parker.
No, he really wasn't. He was a nothing player, doing the simple stuff in midfield without ever standing out in anything or offering anything tangible. He was exactly like Lingard, in a different position. That he started quite often in a team that ran away with the title was a testament to Sir Alex's ability to build a diamond palace out of wombat shite.

JoaquinJoaquin

Cleverley didn't quite make it to 50 starts. He got 42 so was close :D.

Fracture90

For all his alleged defensive contribution he offers little to nothing as a starter against top sides.

Our left flank was overrun defensively and non-existent offensively, he was clearly out of his depth. In some instances sheer will and work rate won't compensate for the lack of talent.

He's not strong, has some pace but isn't fast, often misplacing the simplest of passes. Only thing going for him is his movement and good range shooting.

I really don't want to see him as a starter taking up minutes from Rashford and Martial.

Mr.Plow

Didn't he get something like 1 goal and 2 assists in that prolonged run he had due to Mata's injury? 6/10 my ass. That was the worst run of games I've seen by a Utd player since the days of Gibson & Cleverly.

Canagel

A team which consistently plays Lingard ahead of more talented players deserves to lose. We will not win the league while we persist with dross like Lingard, Smalling, Blind, Fellaini, Darmian and a few others. It's as simple as that.

Man Utd 4:0 West Ham

Sylar

I like him in our squad, but I think today showed why he should start more on the bench than in the starting line up.
Its fine to have a career being a squady too. I think that fits his ability.

JoaquinJoaquin

I like him in our squad, but I think today showed why he should start more on the bench than in the starting line up.
Its fine to have a career being a squady too. I think that fits his ability.
Agree. And I think today sums up why there is so much frustration that he plays so much. Because we simply have more talented players who are capable of what happens today.

NoPace

Fletcher was very good for us for a while after that in central midfield. Just didn't really fit with Carrick all that well, at least in our setup or with the players we had around them. But definitely a better player than Lingard. Fletcher had just turned 25 (so like 8 months younger than Lingard) when he was suspended for the CL final and we badly missed him and Mourinho said:

"Fletcher is more important than people think. His work in midfield, especially in the midfield 'wars', in crucial matches is very important. Man United will miss his pace and aggression in defensive actions: he 'eats' opponents in defensive transition. I believe Xavi and Andrés Iniesta are happy Fletch is not playing."

I do not expect to hear, from anyone, about how happy David Alaba or Marcelo are if Lingard gets suspended before we play Bayern or Madrid.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Fletcher was very good for us for a while after that in central midfield. Just didn't really fit with Carrick all that well, at least in our setup or with the players we had around them. But definitely a better player than Lingard. Fletcher had just turned 25 (so like 8 months younger than Lingard) when he was suspended for the CL final and we badly missed him and Mourinho said:

"Fletcher is more important than people think. His work in midfield, especially in the midfield 'wars', in crucial matches is very important. Man United will miss his pace and aggression in defensive actions: he 'eats' opponents in defensive transition. I believe Xavi and Andrés Iniesta are happy Fletch is not playing."

I do not expect to hear, from anyone, about how happy David Alaba or Marcelo are if Lingard gets suspended before we play Bayern or Madrid.
I don't want to open an old debate but imo he wasn't a good player and should never have worn the shirt as often as he did. Felt sorry for him with his illness and pleased he moved on and had moderate success at West Brom.

Sylar

Sorry dude, but were so much better when he doesnt start.
The biggest reason is hes not clinical enough and probably our weakest attacker. I do think he would be better as a sub anyway.

IMO, unless we get injuries, he shouldnt start a league game again (unless of course its also a 3 game a week situation). But saying that, I have no problem with him being a squad player. Theres nothing wrong with that.

JoaquinJoaquin

Sorry dude, but were so much better when he doesnt start.
The biggest reason is hes not clinical enough and probably our weakest attacker. I do think he would be better as a sub anyway.

IMO, unless we get injuries, he shouldnt start a league game again (unless of course its also a 3 game a week situation). But saying that, I have no problem with him being a squad player. Theres nothing wrong with that.
Well we have seen in the last 2 games how much more fluid and dominating we can be when he isn't in the team. When he starts he just isn't anywhere near the level of the others and in turn our performances suffer. I don't mind him being a squad player and starting the league cup games etc but he has no business starting any league game. I think (well hope) Jose has realised this now. Madrid game was the final straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.