Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
You make a very gpod point.

The scouse have got a tricky period now with United, Chelsea and I think Spurs to play. If they fail to win at least two of those fixtures they could find themselves fighting to stay in the top 4 as opposed to looking at how far off top they are.
Klopp seems to thrive in those games. Three wins and two draws so far against the top six.

The issue we have is 2 points from 12 against West Ham, Sunderland, Bournemouth and Burnley. We were defensively atrocious in all of those games. Our last nine games suddenly look a bit more difficult when you see similar sides in that run.

Peanut Butter

The gurning tramp has a dark side to him when everything isn't going his way as was proved yesterday.

He is a good tracksuit manager but he is definitely unhinged and I still think his transfer dealings at Pool apart from Mane have been hit and miss.

Glad we have got Jose. Until Klopp wins the league in another country (here or elsewhere) and a Champions League, he can't be considered in the top tier of manager.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
By this reasoning then, all the sides in European competition have a right to be annoyed most weeks when they, unlike Liverpool and Chelsea, don't get 6 days between most league games.

I think Klopp is complaining about having 44hours between city and sunderla
He's not entitled to be unhappy because he failed to rotate any players to try and freshen it up.

I think this is because he genuinely thought you'd win it easily as it was only Sunderland. My evidence for this is what he said in his pre-match press conference which was along the lines of 'we know what we need to do to win and we will win'
Think he was complaining about having less than 48 hrs between city and sunderland but he was wrong not to freshen things up for sunderland.

Should have been three pens for hand ball and I think that's down to fatigue in the players minds. Tired legs = tired minds as they say.

Not too unhappy though as we're second and anyone offering that at the start of the season I would have snapped their hand off. Even more so when you look at the money these top teams have thrown at it in the summer.

Some tough games coming Jan and Feb so if we can get through that with a decent return. We have a good chance of top four and who knows what else.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
The gurning tramp has a dark side to him when everything isn't going his way as was proved yesterday.

He is a good tracksuit manager but he is definitely unhinged and I still think his transfer dealings at Pool apart from Mane have been hit and miss.

Glad we have got Jose. Until Klopp wins the league in another country (here or elsewhere) and a Champions League, he can't be considered in the top tier of manager.
Matip?

TheReligion

Abusive
Klopp seems to thrive in those games. Three wins and two draws so far against the top six.

The issue we have is 2 points from 12 against West Ham, Sunderland, Bournemouth and Burnley. We were defensively atrocious in all of those games. Our last nine games suddenly look a bit more difficult when you see similar sides in that run.
And that's been your problem for a long while under various managers no?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

I agree with the last bit. He needs to win something in England to be considered a success.

I have to disagree regarding the signings though. Matip and Wijnaldum have both improved our starting XI and have been what I would class as good signings. Klavan has done well when called upon as well and was excellent against Everton/City. Karius is the only poor signing in my opinion.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
And that's been your problem for a long while under various managers no?
Rodgers seemed to struggle a bit against the better sides. The rest have been mixed bags as I recall. Consistency in general and quality of signings has been our biggest Premier League issue for me.

Alex Styles

I'm not moaning about the fixture list as I love the Christmas schedule but not all of the teams are in that boat. The last three games for each team in the top 6 in the last week fell/fall on these days:

Chelsea - Mon - Sat - Wed
Liverpool - Tue - Sat - Mon
City - Mon - Sat - Mon
Spurs - Wed - Sun - Wed
Arsenal - Mon - Sun - Tue
Utd - Mon - Sat - Mon

Liverpool have had the least amount of time between their games so Klopp is entitled to not be happy. With that taken into account, 7 points from 9 is a very good return. Spurs and Chelsea have it the easiest out of anyone
Well I'm sorry but Klopp can't have his cake and eat it too. It's bad enough that earlier in the season we had the fecking Europa league while they had no european competitions. He should suck it up and get on with it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I watched the video, and didn't notice Pep saying "Awkward smile."

padr81

Supports
Man City
It was compltelty unfair on Liverpool who had 3 games in 4 days while Chelsea had 3 in seven at a busy time of year. 100% Klopp has a right to question it.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Well I'm sorry but Klopp can't have his cake and eat it too. It's bad enough that earlier in the season we had the fecking Europa league while they had no european competitions. He should suck it up and get on with it.
And due to not having Europe, we have a much smaller squad than we otherwise would. You have a squad to deal with what you're doing, we have a squad to deal with what we're doing. 2 games in less than 48hrs is not asked of any team usually even with Europe to contend with.
Like I said earlier though, I love the Christmas pile up so I'm not moaning about it but my point is that I can uderstand why Klopp is annoyed

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was compltelty unfair on Liverpool who had 3 games in 4 days while Chelsea had 3 in seven at a busy time of year. 100% Klopp has a right to question it.
There was nothing wrong with fixtures. Liverpool played on 19th and then on 27th, which is like regular match schedule. Following game against City was on 31st, just like a regular fixture (tuesday followed by Saturday game). 2 home games and a away game.

Sunderland also played on Monday - Saturday and Monday with two away games. There was no advantage or disadvantage for Liverpool.

Chelsea got easier schedule though but Liverpool's was like Sunderland but with 2 home games.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not seen too much of Matip tbf but I don't see why he's getting hyped myself. Going off stats alone I'd have to hazard that Lovren was in better form, plus I've not noticed Matip doing anything exceptional when watching games, and Liverpool concede more than a goal a game despite mostly having good possession stats. So what's the fuss, are we saying he's making Lovren look half decent and the goals conceded is down to the goalkeeper / Milner or what?

padr81

Supports
Man City
There was nothing wrong with fixtures. Liverpool played on 19th and then on 27th, which is like regular match schedule. Following game against City was on 31st, just like a regular fixture (tuesday followed by Saturday game). 2 home games and a away game.

Sunderland also played on Monday - Saturday and Monday with two away games. There was no advantage or disadvantage for Liverpool.

Chelsea got easier schedule though but Liverpool's was like Sunderland but with 2 home games.
Not against Sunderland but in terms of freshness in the title race. Chelsea had 17th, 26th, 31st and 4th. That over 2 weeks for 4 games with 9, 5 and 3 days apart.
Liverpool by comparison got 8, 3 and 1. City form the 7, 4 and 1. Arsenal 7 days 4 days 2 days, Spurs 9 days 2 days and 3 days. United 8, 4 and 1.

So Chelsea have 17 rest days over those games, Liverpool 12, City 12, Arsenal and United 13, Spurs 14.
Chelsea had 5 extra rest days over the busiest period of the year on Liverpool.
I am not saying thats why Chelsea are the best team or anything but if I was manager of the other sides around I'd have a pop at the FA too.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not seen too much of Matip tbf but I don't see why he's getting hyped myself. Going off stats alone I'd have to hazard that Lovren was in better form, plus I've not noticed Matip doing anything exceptional when watching games, and Liverpool concede more than a goal a game despite mostly having good possession stats. So what's the fuss, are we saying he's making Lovren look half decent and the goals conceded is down to the goalkeeper / Milner or what?
You can't just go off stats. Matip has been visibly better, gets in earlier to snuff out dangers. And our stats with and without him are telling.

12 games played, 11 conceded.
8 without -12 conceded.

We've improved a fair bit without him recently since his last game though. conceding 3 in 5 (which also tells the shocking story that before that, the stat was 9 conceded in 3 games).

And yes Lovren does look more rattleable without him.

Rafateria

You're not Dortmund, though. And this ain't the BL.

You can see already that raggedness and legginess coming into play when the games pile up, thus, exhaustion clearly takes a large toll on the way you play. It's expected, and indeed, obvious to anyone who's thinking objectively, rather than fanatically.

What you experienced today is a taster for what you'll experience increasingly as the season rolls on.

You're a plucky side, but are just a little too ragged and short of defensive quality to be anywhere close to challenging for a title this season.

You were very fortunate to leave with a point against an awful Moyes' team today.

I think it'll be a good battle for 4th between us, may the best team win!
Actually I don't think that what we saw at Sunderland will be representative of the tail end of the season at all. The reason for yesterday was pretty clear (check out the table at the bottom of this link) :
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38491151

I'd also add that that was our 5th game in 19 days, 2nd in 43 hours yet we've taken 13 from 15 points. That fixture congestion won't happen again this season.

I also don't think we'll be battling you for 4th. I think I've said already that 2nd - 6th is going to be an almighty scrap so we could be battling United for 2nd or 5th ! However both United + Spurs should have good EL runs (and possibly CIty in the CL too) and that could prove costly in the end. I also said that the Top 6 should tighten right up (except possibly for Chelsea) over the next 2 months until the CL & EL really get into top gear again but that, and that Liverpool's last 2 months of the season comprises of what could well be all lower half of the table teams, could prove decisive in the battle for CL slots.

Last edited:

montpelier

From RAWK, this would be a helpful guide if it wasn't going to be 3 games out of date after tomorrow. And if we put the overall points differences in somewhere maybe.

Club Homes Aways Top 6 fixtures played, points taken, top 6 left

Liverpool 7 10 4 played – 8 points taken, unbeaten. 4 homes left (everyone, except Utd), 2 aways (City, Utd)
Chelsea 8 9 5 played – 9 points taken, lost twice. 2 homes (Arsenal/City), 3 aways (Liv, Spurs, Utd)
Arsenal 8 9 5 played – 5 points taken, lost twice. 2 homes (City/Utd), 3 aways (Liv, Chelsea, Spurs)
City 9 8 4 played – 6 points taken, lost twice. 3 homes (Liv, Spurs, Utd), 3 aways (liv, Chelsea, Arsenal)
Spurs 9 8 5 played – 5 points taken, lost twice. 3 homes (Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd), 2 aways (liv, City)
Utd 8 9 5 played – 5 points taken, lost twice. 2 homes (Liverpool, Chelsea), 3 aways (Arsenal, City, Spurs)

If you believe LFC will hold their form vs the Top 6 where most of those games are at Anfield, they look well placed to give it a run to me.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I also don't think we'll be battling you for 4th. I think I've said already that 2nd - 6th is going to be an almighty scrap so we could be battling United for 2nd or 5th ! However both United + Spurs should have good EL runs (and possibly CIty in the CL too) and that could prove costly in the end. I also said that the Top 6 should tighten right up (except possibly for Chelsea) over the next 2 months until the CL & EL really get into top gear again but that, and that Liverpool's last 2 months of the season comprises of what could well be all lower half of the table teams, could prove decisive in the battle for CL slots.
Teams like Sunderland, West Ham, Burnley, Bournemouth?

Yeah, you should have it sewn up then.

Of course, if Chelsea get 4 points out of their next 2 games (Spuds and Foxes), and you lose at OT, you'll be 9 points behind Chelsea and 2 in front of us...

And that would be in mid Jan.

Kind of silly to call it a title challenge at this point really. But each to their own.

Rafateria

Teams like Sunderland, West Ham, Burnley, Bournemouth?

Yeah, you should have it sewn up then.

Of course, if Chelsea get 4 points out of their next 2 games (Spuds and Foxes), and you lose at OT, you'll be 9 points behind Chelsea and 2 in front of us...

And that would be in mid Jan.

Kind of silly to call it a title challenge at this point really. But each to their own.
I don't think you read my post clearly - I was talking about 2nd - 6th !

Also I'd rather be playing teams like Sunderland, West Ham & Burnley at the business end of the season than Top 10 teams - wouldn't you* ?

*if anyone says no to this then they are lying, teams desperate for points to stave off relegation or not doesn't improve their performances, in fact some freeze.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
From RAWK, this would be a helpful guide if it wasn't going to be 3 games out of date after tomorrow. And if we put the overall points differences in somewhere maybe.

Club Homes Aways Top 6 fixtures played, points taken, top 6 left

Liverpool 7 10 4 played – 8 points taken, unbeaten. 4 homes left (everyone, except Utd), 2 aways (City, Utd)
Chelsea 8 9 5 played – 9 points taken, lost twice. 2 homes (Arsenal/City), 3 aways (Liv, Spurs, Utd)
Arsenal 8 9 5 played – 5 points taken, lost twice. 2 homes (City/Utd), 3 aways (Liv, Chelsea, Spurs)
City 9 8 4 played – 6 points taken, lost twice. 3 homes (Liv, Spurs, Utd), 3 aways (liv, Chelsea, Arsenal)
Spurs 9 8 5 played – 5 points taken, lost twice. 3 homes (Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd), 2 aways (liv, City)
Utd 8 9 5 played – 5 points taken, lost twice. 2 homes (Liverpool, Chelsea), 3 aways (Arsenal, City, Spurs)

If you believe LFC will hold their form vs the Top 6 where most of those games are at Anfield, they look well placed to give it a run to me.

It's the so called lesser clubs that worry me.

We've only got two points against Burnley , Bournemouth , West Ham and Sunderland.

Dyslexic Untied

Didn't think Klopp's interview was that bad tbh. He seemed frustrated more than arrogant, and that's understandable.

Ruffian

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't think Klopp's interview was that bad tbh. He seemed frustrated more than arrogant, and that's understandable.
Yes, but this is a Man Utd forum. If it is possible to interpret any event in an anti Liverpool way they will do it. If it isn't possible, they will still try.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not against Sunderland but in terms of freshness in the title race. Chelsea had 17th, 26th, 31st and 4th. That over 2 weeks for 4 games with 9, 5 and 3 days apart.
Liverpool by comparison got 8, 3 and 1. City form the 7, 4 and 1. Arsenal 7 days 4 days 2 days, Spurs 9 days 2 days and 3 days. United 8, 4 and 1.

So Chelsea have 17 rest days over those games, Liverpool 12, City 12, Arsenal and United 13, Spurs 14.
Chelsea had 5 extra rest days over the busiest period of the year on Liverpool.
I am not saying thats why Chelsea are the best team or anything but if I was manager of the other sides around I'd have a pop at the FA too.
What you said would have been true if the teams Chelsea played also had hectic schedule but that wasn't the case.

Chelsea played on Monday, Stoke played on tuesday. Chelsea played stoke on Saturday so there is barely any advantage for both teams.
Spurs played on Wednesday and Sunday. Chelsea will play Spurs on Wednesday. So Chelsea have just 1 more day than Spurs. Hardly massive difference.

Overall the schedule is kinder to Chelsea but their opponents also had sufficient recovery time.

For example, Liverpool played on Saturaday and Monday, Sunderland played on Saturday and monday, so there is no advantage or disadvantage. If anything that should have helped Liverpool as they have bigger and better squad than Sunderland.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What you said would have been true if the teams Chelsea played also had hectic schedule but that wasn't the case.

Chelsea played on Monday, Stoke played on tuesday. Chelsea played stoke on Saturday so there is barely any advantage for both teams.
Spurs played on Wednesday and Sunday. Chelsea will play Spurs on Wednesday. So Chelsea have just 1 more day than Spurs. Hardly massive difference.

Overall the schedule is kinder to Chelsea but their opponents also had sufficient recovery time.

For example, Liverpool played on Saturaday and Monday, Sunderland played on Saturday and monday, so there is no advantage or disadvantage. If anything that should have helped Liverpool as they have bigger and better squad than Sunderland.
I agree on that front but surely a game 48 hours after another makes Sunderland vs Liverpool much more a coin toss than with 72 hours rest. Had that game been tonight for example Liverpool would have had a much stronger chance imo. They still should have won the last day, but I think its fair to have a moan when Liverpool's game could just as easily have been spread over 15 days or so. Only speaking from my own teams point of view I'd rather City and their lower oppo go into the game fresh than both go in tired as it gives City a higher chance of hitting their ceiling. Not too mention Klopps run yourselves to death tactic. I think Klopp will have to learn to slightly tweak his tactics over the christmas period but I'd still have a moan was I in his shoes.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Here is a good breakdown of the difference in the schedules - this is the number of hours between the kick off of the first game over Xmas and the end of the last game:

1 Chelsea 223
2 Watford, Crystal Palace 201.5
3 Swansea 199
4 Arsenal, Bournemouth 198.75
5 Stoke 172.75
6 West Ham 172.5
7 Man Utd 172.25
8 Burnley, Everton, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom 170
9 Hull, Man City 167.75
10 Leicester, Middlesbrough 167.5
11 Liverpool 143.75
12 Southampton 117

The difference between top and bottom is quite a lot. Apparently next Xmas it is going to be a lot worse with 6 games from Dec 16 to Jan 1.

Klopp has a point but he should have rotated a few players for the Sunderland game. However (including the derby) getting 10 points from a possible 12 against Everton, Stoke, City and Sunderland is a decent return. His interview wasn't as bad as some have made out - the reporters persisted in asking him the same stupid question and he got riled. He apologised to the cnuts at the end.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
start of the season was a title push on the cards? Still Coutinho to come back aswell
You'd have been laughed at for even thinking a top 4 spot was achievable. & in all honesty I've never thought we'd be in with a chance of winning the league this season. Chelsea wouldn't have let a 3-1 lead slip at Bournemouth, & they'd have seen off Sunderland (which they already have) after taking the lead. That's the big difference between the 2 sides as far as I can see. It's been a season of progression for us thus far. Be nice to win a trophy & secure CL football for next season, & hope for further progress next year.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I think he handled it well.

We cant always be smiling you know.

I have seen a lot worse from other.

The fella asked him the same question after he said it was a penalty.

Klopp - I said it was a penalty.

The fella - Did you think it was a penalty ?

I mean. Come on. This fella is a professional journalist and reporter and doesn't listen to the answer to his own question. No either he's deaf or a complete bellend.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
No amount of money could ever persuade me to get into journalism.

Ok... maybe there is an amount.

But you catch my drift, i just hate the press and their stupid questions.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I think he handled it well.

We cant always be smiling you know.

I have seen a lot worse from other.

The fella asked him the same question after he said it was a penalty.

Klopp - I said it was a penalty.

The fella - Did you think it was a penalty ?

I mean. Come on. This fella is a professional journalist and reporter and doesn't listen to the answer to his own question. No either he's deaf or a complete bellend.
Id go with bellend.

liamp

No amount of money could ever persuade me to get into journalism.

Ok... maybe there is an amount.

But you catch my drift, i just hate the press and their stupid questions.
Yeah. The reporter had one goal initially, which was to try to get Klopp to throw Mane under the bus. When that didn't work, he just tried to aggrieve him enough to get some juicy quotes he could regurgitate. Shame that's what sells these days.