Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

BerryBerryShrew

I remember that one of the newspapers wrote "Three games to finish Fergie" before we faced Newcastle, Liverpool and Arsenal back in late November/early December of the 2002-03 season. I'm only surprised that no journo has used a title with such a similar tone to describe the bleak situation Klopp is in at Liverpool.

TBH, I don't think it would be beyond him to leave Liverpool at the end of the season and then join the German National Team. The timing would be about perfect if Hansi Flick fecks up in Qatar when we know that Klopp is at the right stage of his career to move onto the international stage (he's 55 now).
I think Flick is too highly regarded to just be disposed of even if Klopp becomes available. Even if Germany tank the World Cup completely, it would be difficult to justify sacking off one of the best coaches in the world after his first tourney. Especially given that they endured a mediocre entity like Löw for 15 years prior!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think Flick is too highly regarded to just be disposed of even if Klopp becomes available. Even if Germany tank the World Cup completely, it would be difficult to justify sacking off one of the best coaches in the world after his first tourney. Especially given that they endured a mediocre entity like Löw for 15 years prior!
Flick is (only by some people) considered one of the best in the world due to 9 amazing months. There is little evidence that he is truly that great as he hasn't shown anything similar during his career.

Chief123

He looked absolutely fed up in his post match interview. He looked depressed. I will not be surprised at all if he walks at some point during this season or at the end of it.

croadyman

He looked absolutely fed up in his post match interview. He looked depressed. I will not be surprised at all if he walks at some point during this season or at the end of it.
Yeah he definitely looks downbeat,maybe he will fancy a crack at managing in Spain or Italy. Despite current form would still take him over Southgate but won't happen.

Irwin99

They had a massive downer the following season that they won the league, and last year they were two games short of a quadruple that was talked about incessantly and annoyingly by everyone. I think it's a combination of the disappointment and their team being in need of new players.

MUW4Eva

They had a massive downer the following season that they won the league, and last year they were two games short of a quadruple that was talked about incessantly and annoyingly by everyone. I think it's a combination of the disappointment and their team being in need of new players.
They were never close to winning multiple trophies last season, they never had the squad to do so.
It is a fallacy to suggest thst they were.

Chief123

Yeah he definitely looks downbeat,maybe he will fancy a crack at managing in Spain or Italy. Despite current form would still take him over Southgate but won't happen.
I just can’t see him having the enthusiasm to start from scratch again. Especially when the owners are penny pinching and will only give him one big player each window yet they need to replace several all at once. They’ve got the 3rd oldest starting lineup in the league. Even if they signed Bellingham, it’s not enough.

MUW4Eva

I just can’t see him having the enthusiasm to start from scratch again. Especially when the owners are penny pinching and will only give him one big player each window yet they need to replace several all at once. They’ve got the 3rd oldest starting lineup in the league. Even if they signed Bellingham, it’s not enough.
0 chance of Jude going to Liverpool.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
They were never close to winning multiple trophies last season, they never had the squad to do so.
They literally couldn’t have been any closer to winning multiple trophies. They were minutes away from winning the league on the last day of the season and played in the final of each knockout competition they entered.

Chief123

That “downer” season needs context though. They actually had a genuine excuse. There whole defensive options were completely decimated. VVD, Gomez and Matip all ruled out for the whole season quite early on. They brought in Kabak as an emergency and he ended up out injured for a sustained period. They were playing matches with Willams and Nat Phillips and then even had to resort to plahing Fabinho and Henderson in defence at one point because of the amount of abscenes. Then Jota their new signing ended up injured for the remainder of the season.

I know every team gets injuries but they had incredible bad luck that season. The defensive injuries was very significant especially due to how they constantly play a high line. They just got slaughtered for months at the back with make shift defences and still miraculously managed to get 4th helped by an Alisson freak goal winner.

Irwin99

Huh? They won two trophies last year and were two games away from the quad. That's pretty close to me.

Chief123

Ey?

They won two finals on penalties. They lost the league on the last day just because city had an amazing 2nd half comeback after being 2-0 down. And they lost the UCL final by the narrowest of margin.

I mean you literally couldn’t get any closer to winning every single trophy. The squad size had absolutely nothing to do with why they didn’t win the quadruple in the end.

Irwin99

That “downer” season needs context though. They actually had a genuine excuse. There whole defensive options were completely decimated. VVD, Gomez and Matip all ruled out for the whole season quite early on. They brought in Kabak as an emergency and he ended up out injured for a sustained period. They were playing matches with Willams and Nat Phillips and then even had to resort to plahing Fabinho and Henderson in defence at one point because of the amount of abscenes. Then Jota their new signing ended up injured for the remainder of the season.

I know every team gets injuries but they had incredible bad luck that season. The defensive injuries was very significant especially due to how they constantly play a high line. They just got slaughtered for months at the back with make shift defences and still miraculously managed to get 4th helped by an Alisson freak goal winner.
Yeah I agree. Their defensive crisis was horrific that year and there was context that can't be ignored.

Still think psychologically they might have invested a lot in last season which can count for a lot.

croadyman

Mane is the better ‘Klopp player’ between himself and Salah. They really fecked up allowing the wrong man to leave.
Yeah knew they would miss him,always been impressed whenever he played. Come on Jurgen take Southgate's job off him. You would find it much less pressurised and we need someone to get best out of this squad.

Chief123

Yeah I agree. Their defensive crisis was horrific that year and there was context that can't be ignored.

Still think psychologically they might have invested a lot in last season which can count for a lot.
Definitely last season would have been heart crushing. No matter how much gloss Klopp would have tried to put on it, to only end up with the FA cup and league cup after playing every single game possible in the season would be soul destroying. Especially when you know it might be your last chance in a while with the impending transfer of Haaland to City. They literally won the wrong 2 trophies out of the 4.

cyberman

A pitch side mic isn't going to catch anything other than 60,000 fans making a load of noise. I assume you're referring to highlights from when games were played behind closed doors.
No they show pitch side highlights of every game throughout a season and you can clearly hear comments etc from the pitch not far off where Henderson is standing in that video.
I don’t think I have superman hearing but when I’m at a game I can hear people shouting from many yards away from my seat?
Sky have to turn down the mic at times to cut out swearing from the crowd from being broadcast. They 100 percent picked this up

bringbackbebe

He won’t be sacked anytime soon.
If they don't make top 4 and don't win any trophy, more likely he'll walk out. Their rebuild is going to be quite a hectic task and their owners aren't backing him enough to compete. He'll land a better job with more resources & control quite easily.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I also think their luck was ran out. Of course still they created more chances than opponents but some of the chances opponents missed against them last season nowadays they just went in.

And also referees allow bit of physicality generally also went against them. Most of the time last season those duels ended up in free kicks to them. Alexander Arnold,salah suffered from it most. Opponents allowed to close them down without the fear of being penalised.

crossy1686

career ending
He won’t be sacked anytime soon.
Spent £100m in the summer, will probably be allowed to spend some more over January in desperation. Finish outside the top 4 with that and he'll be gone. The Yanks owning Pool think they're the one's that have allowed Klopp to succeed, not that he's done well in spite of them.

Von Mistelroum

This is why he won't be sacked. As that article mentioned (and seems very plausible) they are currently cycling off from the PEDs. Next year they'll suddenly be looking inhuman and running like Usain Bolt for 98% of every match again.

Mike Smalling

They are in pretty big trouble, I would say. The play looks awful, their big money signing looks underwhelming, and they are looking at a generation change with the likes of Salah, Henderson, Thiago, VVD, and Milner all nearing their expiration dates (with Milner already being way past it). And then there's the Trent conundrum. They would need a massive turn-around to get top four this season.

The bright spots are the likes of Diaz, Robertson, Allison and Fabinho, who are quality players with years left of their prime, but it isn't a lot to build on.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He'll walk well before they would sack him. Resignation watch.
And miss the big pay out? No chance! As much as he proclaims his love for liverpool, their fans, the city blah blah blah no one walks away from a guaranteed big bucks pay packet!

redcucumber

They are in pretty big trouble, I would say. The play looks awful, their big money signing looks underwhelming, and they are looking at a generation change with the likes of Salah, Henderson, Thiago, VVD, and Milner all nearing their expiration dates (with Milner already being way past it). And then there's the Trent conundrum. They would need a massive turn-around to get top four this season.

The bright spots are the likes of Diaz, Robertson, Allison and Fabinho, who are quality players with years left of their prime, but it isn't a lot to build on.
Salah might be nearing the end, but he just got a fat new 350k a week contract. He's there for the foreseeable.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
This is why he won't be sacked. As that article mentioned (and seems very plausible) they are currently cycling off from the PEDs. Next year they'll suddenly be looking inhuman and running like Usain Bolt for 98% of every match again.
Exactly. They'll be back to cheating beyond their level again next season without a club. Scam pump club.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Salah might be nearing the end, but he just got a fat new 350k a week contract. He's there for the foreseeable.
Yeah, Salah is kind of their equivalent of Sanchez or Hazard. Exciting AM who falls off the earth form wise once he gets his mega contract.

NoPace

They look bad, but sign a #10 and a #8, a backup RB and Trent gets back to only being below average instead of horrific defensively and everything suddenly looks okay again:

Diaz-Nunez-Salah (Jota, Carvalho, Firmino, Elliot)
---------#10------------ (Elliot, Firmino)
-Thiago---#6-------- (Fabinho, Henderson)
Robertson---------TAA (Tsimikas, RB)
-Van Dijk-Konate (Matip, Gomez)

which seems fairly doable. 2 big signings, a cheaper RB to challenge TAA and keep Gomez from playing there seems like a reasonable target for them with some players (Keita, Milner) going out, if you figure they sign one midfielder in January and one in the summer along with that RB. Something like Caicedo from Brighton and then an actual attacking midfielder who can get on the ball and create a bit, like a Mason Mount type, and they'd probably look much better than playing a striker like Jota as a 10 and having Henderson play 2 against 3.

Though you wonder if Klopp is actually the guy to make this new, Nunez-driven formation work. He needs space to operate as his runs, desire, heading and speed are all special but everything else he does is quite poor. He really should have gone to Atletico Madrid to be Simeone's striker. They really gambled waiting for Bellingham and going after Nunez and spending 80M on him instead of just buying a starting quality midfielder and forward for 40M each.

cyberman

Any word on Diaz? Saw rumours of him being out for most of the season this morning

bringbackbebe

They look bad, but sign a #10 and a #8, a backup RB and Trent gets back to only being below average instead of horrific defensively and everything suddenly looks okay again:

which seems fairly doable. 2 big signings, a cheaper RB to challenge TAA and keep Gomez from playing there seems like a reasonable target for them with some players (Keita, Milner) going out, if you figure they sign one midfielder in January and one in the summer along with that RB. Something like Caicedo from Brighton and then an actual attacking midfielder who can get on the ball and create a bit, like a Mason Mount type, and they'd probably look much better than playing a striker like Jota as a 10 and having Henderson play 2 against 3.

Though you wonder if Klopp is actually the guy to make this new, Nunez-driven formation work. He needs space to operate as his runs, desire, heading and speed are all special but everything else he does is quite poor. He really should have gone to Atletico Madrid to be Simeone's striker. They really gambled waiting for Bellingham and going after Nunez and spending 80M on him instead of just buying a starting quality midfielder and forward for 40M each.
They need at least two good quality central midfielders. The center of their midfield looks extremely slow with players way past their expiration date. This is putting a lot of pressure on their defence to cover up & their full backs aren't very good at doing this sort of a thing.

Mike Smalling

You still gloss over a lot of their problems here, I feel. Nunez is not very good, Salah is not looking like himself, Henderson looks almost past it, Elliot won't be good enough, etc. Van Dijk is even starting to look vulnerable. I don't think this is a couple of key signings, and they are back to normal - looks more like a 2-3 year rebuild project to me.

I could be wrong, and I wouldn't necessarily put it past Klopp to do a reset with this squad, but top four this season looks very challenging for them.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Klopp is an idiot for renewing Salah at that wage. With Mane gone, he should have either sold Salah too (realistically he would have got minimum £35-40m for him) and reinvest, or let him run down his contract.

It would have been a big change starting the season without Salah or Mane but with that cash they could have reinvested properly. Now they’re stuck with a rapidly declining asset on £350-400k for another 4 and a half years.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Klopp is an idiot for renewing Salah at that wage. With Mane gone, he should have either sold Salah too (realistically he would have got minimum £35-40m for him) and reinvest, or let him run down his contract.

It would have been a big change starting the season without Salah or Mane but with that cash they could have reinvested properly. Now they’re stuck with a rapidly declining asset on £350-400k for another 4 and a half years.
They invested a king's ransom on a mid-table squad player. Would his other transfer's have been so savvy?