Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

studs

He's falling out of love with the scouse and his heart is pining for a new challenge, fecker never even bothered to learn their language.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Where would he go next though, that's the question? And who would replace him?

CM

If he did actually end up leaving, I could see Tuchel. No idea where Klopp would go next though, he'd probably take a sabbatical.

Steve Bruce

If he did actually end up leaving, I could see Tuchel. No idea where Klopp would go next though, he'd probably take a sabbatical.
Potch is still floating about, Zidane apparently on his way back. The Spanish coach after the WC.

There's a few options about

OpenIntrovert

For Klopp to leave, Liverpool would have to be in the relegation zone at the 3/4 stage of the season. Not something that seems possible even with Liverpool's woes right now.

Steve Bruce

Insulting another member
Ah yes, Zidane, who famously turned down United because he didn't want to manage in England or learn English, will definitely be in line to replace Klopp.

1) who said he's definitely in line to replace Klopp?

2) Because Zidane didn't want to manage United or in England, he can't change his mind down the line?

3) all I was doing was listing a few alternatives that where available.

So how about stopping being a prick and post something constructive instead of trying to be a smart arse

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Klopp will eventually leave of his own volition. Don't think things will get bad enough that the board will be forced to do it for him.

If he does, though, his failings are at least partly to blame. Breaking down defences has been a problem for years, largely because for most of his Liverpool tenancy he's been happy with a midfield trio of Workrate, Passion and Mobility. Early Klopp's Liverpool was laughably lacking in goals and assists from midfield.

His only real attempt to address the situation was to sign Thiago, who's great but very injury prone and not really known for his assisting anyway. He's a more secondary kind of creator. 'Trent and Robertson crosses will be enough' has kind of stopped working.

Great manager with a big huge gaping hole in his tactical abilities that he doesn't seem able to address.

However, Poch taking over would be a hilarious disaster.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
For Klopp to leave, Liverpool would have to be in the relegation zone at the 3/4 stage of the season. Not something that seems possible even with Liverpool's woes right now.
You describing the absolute minimum conditions for Klopp to be sacked. The conditions for Klopp to leave are unknown. He could decide tomorrow he sees no way out of this mess and in terms of his legacy it would be better to leave now and let the owners take the rap for whatever comes next.

Sparky Rhiwabon

There’s no way I can see Klopp getting sacked, he’s got way too much credit in the bank and is revered almost as a Demi God. He’ll decide when he goes.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
You describing the absolute minimum conditions for Klopp to be sacked. The conditions for Klopp to leave are unknown. He could decide tomorrow he sees no way out of this mess and in terms of his legacy it would be better to leave now and let the owners take the rap for whatever comes next.
It's pretty much what he did at Dortmund. Think Klopp is one of those guys who'll walk when he feels he can't reach the team or turn it around any longer

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Didn't he say half through his last BVB season, when down almost in relegation fight, he will leave at the end of the season, and they started playing better.
Did he go on sabatical then, or was that Pep?

RopersReturn

Klopps not going anywhere, Liverpool are in their current predicament due to the impact of losing Mane. They’re still dangerous (beating City last wk) and probably one creative midfielder away from clambering up the table.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Like all managers, he doesn't look so great when he doesn't have the best players anymore.

Liverpool’s recruitment has been at least as big a factor in their recent success as Klopp, but it's getting harder to find bargains in the market like they did.

Josh 76

There’s no way I can see Klopp getting sacked, he’s got way too much credit in the bank and is revered almost as a Demi God. He’ll decide when he goes.
If he starts making life difficult for the owners, then he will be sacked!

RopersReturn

He can be quite outspoken sometimes and doesn’t hold back in interviews.
Only way I can see him getting the push is if he let slip about the way the club was run or openly criticised individual players causing monumental embarrassment to the owners.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It seems like they only have 1 plan. They must cross the ball about 100 times a game… reminds me of when we had moyes and that’s all we did. Liverpool struggle breaking teams down a lot aswell because teams are happy to just sit back and clear every cross they put into the box. They lack a lot of creativity in the middle aswel because klopp prefers his midfielders to have energy and work rate. He’s sacrificing creativity. Think mane is a massive loss for them, I actually rated him higher then Salah.

Marwood

Today's football culture is the era of the manager. Lots of folk believe managers, particularly Klopp and Pep, can turn water into wine.

What's happening now is further evidence that a manager is only as good as his players.

Red Star One

Klopp will eventually leave of his own volition. Don't think things will get bad enough that the board will be forced to do it for him.

If he does, though, his failings are at least partly to blame. Breaking down defences has been a problem for years, largely because for most of his Liverpool tenancy he's been happy with a midfield trio of Workrate, Passion and Mobility. Early Klopp's Liverpool was laughably lacking in goals and assists from midfield.

His only real attempt to address the situation was to sign Thiago, who's great but very injury prone and not really known for his assisting anyway. He's a more secondary kind of creator. 'Trent and Robertson crosses will be enough' has kind of stopped working.

Great manager with a big huge gaping hole in his tactical abilities that he doesn't seem able to address.

However, Poch taking over would be a hilarious disaster.
Good post. I also don’t think they’d sack him unless the results go way south from here, which is unlikely

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Today's football culture is the era of the manager. Lots of folk believe managers, particularly Klopp and Pep, can turn water into wine.

What's happening now is further evidence that a manager is only as good as his players.
It's not true though, having a good manager and good players is what matters. You can carry a few average players but you can't carry an average manager (long term).

Amazing Santos

Pundits make it sound like a mystery but it's obvious to even one's nan that their players are getting on a bit and their distance covered per game numbers have shot down. So instead of sorting the root of the problem - i.e. buying talented younger players who can run themselves into the ground which is the game he has succeeded with and knows best, he changes tactics by trying formation changes and change of tactics. They have completed fecked up, it's not just Klopp it's the people around him like the director of football (they just brought in a new one in July). They should be continuously reviewing the age of their players and what to do with an ageing squad, they have completely failed to address it especially in midfield and it's all coming home to roost. They either spend 200m or they'll have an even bigger problem next season.

Marwood

It's not true though, having a good manager and good players is what matters. You can carry a few average players but you can't carry an average manager (long term).
Yeah both matter.

But an average manager with a very good team can still achieve plenty.

A top manager with an average team can't do all that much.

You're seeing it right now. You saw it couple of seasons back when Liverpool had all those injuries. Results dropped off massively.

The most important thing a manager can do is get the right players in the first place because if he doesn't, how good he is becomes almost irrelevant.

Josh 76

This time last year they battered us 0-5 at old Trafford. All the pundits were saying Utd are million miles away from Liverpool.

A million fecking miles ?? Hahahaha

Don’t you just love football!

I’m loving my life

It would be good if one of the European powerhouse clubs sacked their manager and came in for him. That way he could leave without appearing to have failed, and Liverpool supporters could throw tantrums about him being a turn coat. With the added bonus that Phil Collins’ number one fan is available to replace him at the moment.

TwoSheds

Yeah both matter.

But an average manager with a very good team can still achieve plenty.

A top manager with an average team can't do all that much.

You're seeing it right now. You saw it couple of seasons back when Liverpool had all those injuries. Results dropped off massively.

The most important thing a manager can do is get the right players in the first place because if he doesn't, how good he is becomes almost irrelevant.
I don't agree, it depends on the manager. Some people are good at getting the most out of players regardless of talent (Eddie Howe currently might be someone getting the most out of his squad), others play a system that can be very hard to counter if they've got good players but not that hard if they don't (Klopp, possibly Pep). But it's always shades of grey, when he had enough good players Klopp was squeezing every last drop of ability out of the likes of Henderson and Milner too. Like with everything in life it's more complicated than a simple generalisation.

crossy1686

career ending
1) who said he's definitely in line to replace Klopp?

2) Because Zidane didn't want to manage United or in England, he can't change his mind down the line?

3) all I was doing was listing a few alternatives that where available.

So how about stopping being a prick and post something constructive instead of trying to be a smart arse
:lol: You’re the one that listed options, most of which are never going to happen, making them non options.

Zidane didn’t just turn down United, he also turned down PSG this summer, he wants the France job. Safe to say, the glamor and glitz of Merseyside and Bootle isn’t going to change his mind, unless he’s the worlds biggest Beatles fan.

Enrique isn’t leaving Spain either, not unless they fire him after the World Cup, and even then, someone with his record isn’t going to join Pool and be told to work within a budget that is less than most elite teams he could manage, and that’s should he even get sacked.

Pochettino is the only ‘option’ but by the time Liverpool pull the plug on Klopp he’ll already be at Tottenham.

Taking over from Klopp is going to be like taking over from Fergie at this point. Their strategy will most likely revolve around trying to convince Tuchel it’s within his best interests to join.

Marwood

I don't agree, it depends on the manager. Some people are good at getting the most out of players regardless of talent (Eddie Howe currently might be someone getting the most out of his squad), others play a system that can be very hard to counter if they've got good players but not that hard if they don't (Klopp, possibly Pep). But it's always shades of grey, when he had enough good players Klopp was squeezing every last drop of ability out of the likes of Henderson and Milner too. Like with everything in life it's more complicated than a simple generalisation.
I tend to think football is much simpler than the rest of life and having good players is a requirement of winning trophies. Straightforward stuff.

To me the evidence is clear.

We saw it at United when Fergie had a couple of really bad spells in the transfer market. Didn't matter how good he was, results suffered.

You're seeing the exact same thing now with Klopp. His first 10 signings or so were spot on. Brilliant results on the pitch.

Since then recruitment has been poor and its showing in the results.

I think he's a brilliant manager, the best, but its like F1. Without a top car the driver is limited no matter how talented. Same goes for a football manager.

Unless Liverpool can get back to incredible signings like Mané and Salah they won't be challenging for the league again even with Klopp in charge.

TwoSheds

I tend to think football is much simpler than the rest of life and having good players is a requirement of winning trophies. Straightforward stuff.

We saw it at United when Fergie had a couple of really bad spells in the transfer market. Didn't matter how good he was, results suffered.

You're seeing the exact same thing now with Klopp. His first 10 signings or so were spot on. Brilliant results on the pitch.

I think he's a brilliant manager, the best, but its like F1. Without a top car the driver is limited no matter how talented. Same goes for a football manager.

Unless Liverpool can get back to incredible signings like Mané and Salah they won't be challenging for the league again even with Klopp in charge.
Well obviously having better players and a better manager is better than only having one of those things, it's hardly rocket science what you're saying there. But having a decent coach who knows what he wants is actually a big part of signing and developing good players so...which one is more important? For me the good manager almost always has to come first at the top level.

OpenIntrovert

For him to leave, you will need to see how much he values his relationship with the squad and ultimately the club. I felt 20/21 was far more worst (six straight home defeats) with Klopp even having a personal tragedy, yet he did not resign. I suppose the key factor is whether Klopp believes he can achieve success with the squad, which depends on the plans he has with the club (both transfers and academy development) and the overall receptiveness of the squad to his ideas.

Looking at the team performances (their issues are more due to injuries) and the overall backing that Klopp has in terms of transfers he wants, the only way he leaves is if Liverpool are somehow dropping down into the bottom half of the table at the 3/4 stage of the season. It does not seem like it will happen, so him leaving is highly unlikely.

crossy1686

career ending

It’s a combination of things.

The players they’ve recruited aren’t operating at the same level as the ones they signed previously. They’ve looked for cheap deals and then had to throw them in due to injuries and other first team players leaving.

The squad has been allowed to age and become stagnant. One thing Fergie did brilliantly was keep things fresh constantly, every season there was a clear plan of which area to strengthen or who to sign to force current team members to not become complacent.

Then there’s the psychological damage of last seasons collapse at every final hurdle. It’s impossible to recover from that when everyone got a year older and slower, and then the only player brought in, after selling one of the players that carried them to those finals, is Nunez. It’s enough to make even the strongest believer question their commitment and drive to go again.

In short, they’re all in big trouble and huge surgery is needed throughout the squad.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

You know things are bad when even the most rose tinted Pool journos (who haven't said one bad word in 7 years) are losing patience.
I hate to be seen as defending Klopp, I am just trying to see it from an objective pov. Liverpool's squad needed refreshing. He hasn't been given that opportunity.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Odds of him leaving end of the season and taking a sabbatical are high imo.

He's achieved what he can at Liverpool and is done.

Irrational.

Odds of him leaving end of the season and taking a sabbatical are high imo.

He's achieved what he can at Liverpool and is done.
Would agree with this. He‘s suffering from the same seventh season syndrome he did at Dortmund. He’s burnt out and will walk to manage another underdog. He doesn’t do well managing under pressure where he’s expected to win every game.

crossy1686

career ending
Barcelona or Bayern could be looking for a new manager next season. Maybe Madrid if Ancelotti retires or PSG if they sack their new manager at the end of the season.

He won't be short of offers, but Liverpool would struggle to get anyone near the same level to replace him.

Marwood

Well obviously having better players and a better manager is better than only having one of those things, it's hardly rocket science what you're saying there. But having a decent coach who knows what he wants is actually a big part of signing and developing good players so...which one is more important? For me the good manager almost always has to come first at the top level.
Yeah I'm not trying to rank which is more important. My point is that once the players are in place, there's only so much a manager can do. Where as the media and fan culture around football today is that managers, or certain one's, can simply coach a squad to winning titles. We're seeing now its not possible if the playing talent is no longer there.

Like you say a coach knowing what type of player he wants, sticking to it and getting them is huge and I agree. It's 80% of the job.

But if they get the recruitment wrong for a spell, not much they can do. It will show on the pitch.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle did the dirty on Howe and went all in after Klopp if he was to ever leave Liverpool. Makes sense in their next step of development and progression and a big enough challenge for Klippety.