Jurgen Klopp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annahnomoss

So you think we should sack LVG and go for Klopp?
Yup, not because LVG hasn't done an okay job but because we won't be able to find a manager like him available again unless we've got something planned. Hopefully we have something planned, either to let LVG continue or to have someone else already agree to come here by then.

If we don't - then I am happily taking up Klopp right now instead of waiting a year and having to pick up someone else.

saivet

Love that statement.

It's true specially here in Germany. Suddenly hipsters started to wear Dortmund shirts and talk about the idea of "counter-pressing" in modern football while drinking their latte macchiato with organic cinnamon. Honestly I like that this whole bubble "Klopp and Dortmund" will burst.

However, that has nothing to do with him as a person or a coach. In short: He is a cool guy. And definetly one of the funniest coaches around.
:lol: I slyly feel this way too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
While city looks obvious to everyone it would be the wrong move for him on paper. His style of football and the kind of team city has right now have little in common. They like slow possession, he likes rock and roll football. His football requires legs, they have yaya toure, he has so far built a team, they want I stand success. But if course you never know he could show a different side to himself, or change them completely. Either way, I hope he doesn't go there.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You could argue that Mourinho fluked his whole career. If it weren't for Costinha's late equalizer at Old Trafford they wouldn't have won the CL and he wouldn't have landed the Chelsea job, and Chelsea job itself was a lucky break for him because he had unlimited funds at a time when he could have used them on whoever he wanted, all while the best team in England had gone under massive rebuilding job. He then landed an Inter job on the back of his Chelsea success, in a league that they didn't have a competitor in and won CL largely because his main competitor had to travel by bus, on a 10+ hour journey because the volcano had made it impossible to use planes in whole Europe. He then lands a Real Madrid job and fails there, falls out with pretty much everyone at the club and leaves with only one title. He leaves and boom, Ancelotti wins Champions League they desired so much during Mourinho days in his very first season there, all while Mourinho ends up trophyless at Chelsea in his first season.

Worded like that you begin to think Mourinho's entire career has been a massive coincidence, don't you?

Dante

Average bang
As much as Barca or Real are. Football is partisan.
You're right...I hope they crash and burn! :mad: So I take it you were sad when they didn't go bust? Pretty remarkable.
Nothing makes me happier than Porto losing. Nothing.
Your logic is back to front. Wishing failure is not the same as not offering a degree of support.
So Basel too then?
I don't cheer when they do well or hope their manager becomes successful.

Dante

Average bang
Isn't that what manager's job is - to identify good players, sign them up and make them a cohesive, successful team? Somehow 99% managers have never had this 'luck'. You don't have to do this for 20 years in a row to prove that you're capable of it, what Klopp and Simeone have done is enough to be a proof of their immense ability.

It's very difficult to fluke two titles in a row or a title in a league that has two of the best teams in Europe competing with you. I'd say impossible even.
But you have to do it at least twice. Klopp has done it once. If he's a flop or even mediocre for the rest of his career, he obviously won't be considered great.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Atletico - with Simeone going to City...?

Actually, I can imagine that.
Simeone to City makes me as nervous, if not more so :nervous:

Though I think, unless he drastically changes his style he could be a oppo manager a bit easier to "hate" when his team is kicking lumps out of us at OT :lol:

The big plus for him is that as long as he wins trophies, I don't think City fans will complain too much about "attacking football". He'd have that pressure by most other big clubs.

I doubt any club will be offering City any large sum for those players given the contracts those players are on unless they arrange some kind of backhand deal with Dzeko being sold at 50m and Etihad sponsoring that team's training bib for 45m.
Ssssh, stop giving them ideas!!! Never fear, the might Platini will see right through them. With his love for the English game and all that ;)

Yeah, on a serious note, the salaries must be a stumbling block. So unless those players are willing to take a pay cut, they are either staying at City, or they'll be sold for peanuts.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
The reactions on here if he goes to City :lol::lol::lol:
It would be more interesting to see which team has the better season next year if that's the case. I don't even want to imagine the scenes that will take place if they out perform us next year :nervous:

Clas Sified

You could argue that Mourinho fluked his whole career. If it weren't for Costinha's late equalizer at Old Trafford they wouldn't have won the CL and he wouldn't have landed the Chelsea job, and Chelsea job itself was a lucky break for him because he had unlimited funds at a time when he could have used them on whoever he wanted, all while the best team in England had gone under massive rebuilding job. He then landed an Inter job on the back of his Chelsea success, in a league that they didn't have a competitor in and won CL largely because his main competitor had to travel by bus, on a 10+ hour journey because the volcano had made it impossible to use planes in whole Europe. He then lands a Real Madrid job and fails there, falls out with pretty much everyone at the club and leaves with only one title. He leaves and boom, Ancelotti wins Champions League they desired so much during Mourinho days in his very first season there, all while Mourinho ends up trophyless at Chelsea in his first season.

Worded like that you begin to think Mourinho's entire career has been a massive coincidence, don't you?
Football. Bloody Hell.

Seriously though, you can say that about SAF as well. If Robins hadn't scored that FA Cup goal, Sir Alex could have been fired. Which means instead of being remembered as the legend he is, he would have just joined the long list of managers who tried and failed to successfully bring United back to its glory days. He wouldn't even be 'Sir' Alex.

So even though Mourinho has been lucky, everyone has a lucky break, and you need that kind of luck to make it at the highest level imo.

Cina

I wouldn't mind him going to City. I'd think he'd have to spend a shitload to get them playing anywhere close to the sort of football he wants. That's not a side capable of playing like Dortmund did at their best, not remotely. It would be a rebuild that'd take a few years, and City generally don't give their managers years.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
He seemed to have so much passion for Dortmund as a football club and the supporters they have...will be interesting if he will show that for Man City and an empty stadium next.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Dunno. Calmer than I thought I would be. It definitively helps that I have been around way longer than just the Klopp era and don´t identify everything my club is about with just his person. It will be weird seeing a different person on the side lines, but it is certainly not a complete foreign thought for me. The club is bigger than anyone.

What just happened was the way Klopp often predicted. He would leave on his own terms when he would realize that he is not the best man for the job anymore. This season has in quite a few ways been unacceptable by Klopp´s standart and it became very obvious for a long time that the club and the team would need new impulses to recover. I personally thought it would be a major overhaul of the squad under Klopp, but now the overhaul starts with Klopp.

In the end, similar to his tenure at Mainz (and people stating that his time there was a sign of failure need to have their head checked) he left Dortmund in a way better shape than when he took over and for that he has earned himself massive respect and gratitude. It might also be the best time to install a new coach. Succeeding Klopp was always going to be a huge job, but the really lackluster season might lower expectations a bit for the new coach.

Quite frankly, I don´t know how I will feel about it in the long run, because I have no idea how big the effects of this change will be. Ask me again at the end of the Summer window and I might have a more definite answer. The potential for great football is still there (financial strength, improved youth work, club structure) and that is to a large part thanks to Jürgen Klopp.
Great post. Thanks man. If I remember, I'll definitely check back at the end of the summer ;) ...unless of course they instill David Moyes as manager...then I might check back before the end of the summer :p

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

Dante

Average bang

It's not about fluking results, it's about fluking management.

Mourinho is a great manager because he's created great teams. Winning football matches always involves an element of luck, but that's a separate issue.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yup, not because LVG hasn't done an okay job but because we won't be able to find a manager like him available again unless we've got something planned. Hopefully we have something planned, either to let LVG continue or to have someone else already agree to come here by then.

If we don't - then I am happily taking up Klopp right now instead of waiting a year and having to pick up someone else.
:( I really want him, too. Why can't Klopp wait for another two years ???

*insert Ando's fave curse word x 3*

On hindsight, sacking Moyes too early was a mistake.

Get In Scholesy

Why is that?
Not entirely sure. I think it is because I always saw him as a lover of a certain approach of football. Not the all you can buy and assemble philosophy that City entertain, but rather the promotion of youth into the side - creating a certain identity from what you have and being competitive.

Also because I actually liked him, going to a rival will just turn him into a cnut in my eyes.

amolbhatia50k

As much as Barca or Real are. Football is partisan.

Your logic is back to front. Wishing failure is not the same as not offering a degree of support.

I don't cheer when they do well or hope their manager becomes successful.
Eh? No one here supports Dortmund.

And my logic is fine. You said you have genuine disdain. Sounds like something pretty serious.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Still think that City's his destination. Barca? No, not their playstyle. RM? Playstyle wise yes but it's always a hot seat there and I don't think that Klopp wants that at the moment. Shit, maybe Loew to RM and him taking over Germany NT?

He's such a nice guy, hope he doesn't go to those feckheads.

Arsenal seems like the natural fit and so on but I can't see them moving Wenger on at the moment and Wenger himself won't step down.

amolbhatia50k

Perhaps not fervently, but they certainly do to some extent.
What extent? Soft spot? Which is pretty much exactly what I said at the start. What's wrong with people having a soft spot for teams with great stories behind them in football? That's why everyone wanted atletico to win la lig a last season.

Like I said, you actually have no reason to have an issue with this. It's quite irrational.

Status
Not open for further replies.