Jurgen Klopp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqueakyWeasel

When I read your comment then it's pretty clear that you don't realize what a club Dortmund is and where they came from before Klopp. They have no right to compete with Bayern, Barca or Real. They were just one of the bigger, better clubs in the Bundesliga like Sevilla in La Liga and were in a huge crisis before Klopp. Reaching a EL final with Dortmund is comparable with what Sevilla and Porto did, reaching a CL final is a complete different thing and nobody expected that, only comparable with Simeone and Atletico. And they beat already a great Bayern side, who made it to the CL final, in the Bundesliga and won the double and they went toe-to-toe with treble winning super-Bayern. But they never had the money or the ability to keep those players and stay at that level. And that's why his least season wasn't poor, some people just had unrealistic expectations after he won things, he had ton of injuries, lost key players and still kept his team behind Bayern as number 2 and made another good impression in Europe. It's really only this season which is disappointing.
In the mid 90s they won back-to-back titles and then went on to WIN the champions league … hmmm

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
He was probably going to get sacked, they just want him to leave with honour.
Nah can't see that. According to Bild he wanted already out last year in April, because a big offer from England came. Which club could that have been? :lol:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The whiff of a press conference has generated 6 pages on the fan board of another club (in another country) within an hour of it's announcement … we have no real idea of what he'll say (I'm still going with the Hummels contract thing … seems his SOH).

Everything he does is obviously a "big deal" but press-wise, say you're doing something for "personal/family/good of the club" reasons and you are normally excused.
Dortmund would have quashed the rumours about Klopp already if it wasn't about that.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
In the mid 90s they won back-to-back titles and then went on to WIN the champions league … hmmm
Yeah Nottingham Forest won the CL too, doesn't mean they are a big club in England right now. Dortmund was fecked up after their success and in a relegation fight before Klopp was there.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Rumours he wants a year off to recover from "exhaustion".

That would, presumably, rule City out. I'd say there's slim to no chance of Pellegrini starting next season at City.
if this is true, then it's bayern for me.

Iron Stove

He would have his work cut out for him at City. Such an old squad doesn't seem a good fit for his high intensity football.

cyberman

Relatively speaking to their opposition, it is. Sevilla / Porto v Roma is as even as Dortmund v City etc.
For example it would just be as hard for Mourinho to win the championship with Derby as it would winning the PL with Chelsea. It's about talent in your squad relative to the opposition.
It's not as if Dortmund have proven themselves more than a one season in Europe anyway. Arguably they've even under performed throughout Kloops tenure.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The main issue here however is if Klopp possesses the holistic approach or whatever the nonsense was called which City connected with Pellegrini's hiring!?

SqueakyWeasel

Yeah Nottingham Forest won the CL too, doesn't mean they are a big club in England right now. Dortmund was fecked up after their success and in a relegation fight before Klopp was there.
You must rank Blackburn high. Or Villa, or Nottingham Forest.
The original poster (that I was responding to) wrote "you realise what a club Dortmund is or where they came from" to illustrate how crap they used to be and how they have been dragged up to their current position of notoriety by Klopp alone … when it's patently untrue. It's an amazing club and the fans are amazing. I'd recommend anyone visiting on a BL match day … much better than CL nights which is all seater.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The main issue here however is if Klopp possesses the holistic approach or whatever the nonsense was called which City connected with Pellegrini's hiring!?
They also want a coach who has a possession based approach and won't deviate from that which does make Klopp to City links a tad bizarre.

Gee Male

Rumours he wants a year off to recover from "exhaustion".

That would, presumably, rule City out. I'd say there's slim to no chance of Pellegrini starting next season at City.
Pellegrini's contract is up end of next year, but if City do want rid ASAP then they could maybe bring Rafa in on a 12 month basis... he has form for that type of thing.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
if this is true, then it's bayern for me.
I don't think Bayern wants Klopp and Klopp wants Bayern, just isn't a good fit imo. And it looks like Klopp wants a new challenge in a new league, PL is imo very likely and maybe Germany imo, but Löw will stay, I can only see him retiring when he won the Euro on 2016 too, but even then it's not that likely.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm not as surprised as I expected to be by this. Obviously Klopp had always been very committed to Dortmund, but with their poorer form this season he may feel that a couple of league titles and a CL was as much as he could get with them, and that it was time to progress with his career now.

Since LVG is here, Klopp going to City would be possible. As would going to Real Madrid if Ancelotti's job is under threat as has been rumoured. If he wants a Dortmund-esque challenge of building a side up though, could one of the Milan sides been an option? Both are obviously giants historically, but have been struggling in recent times.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
The original poster (that I was responding to) wrote "you realise what a club Dortmund is or where they came from" to illustrate how crap they used to be and how they have been dragged up to their current position of notoriety by Klopp alone … when it's patently untrue. It's an amazing club and the fans are amazing. I'd recommend anyone visiting on a BL match day … much better than CL nights which is all seater.
Yeah the fans are amazing and they were successful in the past, but that doesn't make them a big club on the pitch right now. They were awful before Klopp took over and came close to beeing relegated the season before and then it would be comparable to Leeds or Nottingham. It's wrong to act like Dortmund was the number 2 in Germany and one of the Top8 clubs in Europe anyway, Klopp brought them back to this level.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Imagine if Klopp does take a year off and Carlo stays on at Real Madrid. City's top two targets both turn them down essentially. Would they then just reluctantly keep Pellegrino? :lol:

Not exactly many world class managers available.

matt23

Interesting, he has talked about managing in the Premier League but presumably I only saw that because I'm British, could be anywhere, but I really hope City haven't finally decided to build a club properly.

GloryHunter07

The whiff of a press conference has generated 6 pages on the fan board of another club (in another country) within an hour of it's announcement … we have no real idea of what he'll say (I'm still going with the Hummels contract thing … seems his SOH).

Everything he does is obviously a "big deal" but press-wise, say you're doing something for "personal/family/good of the club" reasons and you are normally excused.
BBC: Dortmund to confirm Klopp departure

Too much smoke.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Relatively speaking to their opposition, it is. Sevilla / Porto v Roma is as even as Dortmund v City etc.
For example it would just be as hard for Mourinho to win the championship with Derby as it would winning the PL with Chelsea. It's about talent in your squad relative to the opposition.
It's not as if Dortmund have proven themselves more than a one season in Europe anyway. Arguably they've even under performed throughout Kloops tenure.
It isn't. Dortmund and Sevilla are pretty comparable, you could only say that Dortmund has more potential like a "sleeping giant". But even in that case it's not a giant like Bayern, United, Real or even Arsenal. Klopp is the reason why they generated more money and the reason for their rise to the top again.(and the Bundesliga boom overall).
And Dortmund did fine the season after the CL final, won their group and destroyed Arsenal, made it to the QFs and came close to kicking the later title winners out. CL quarterfinals and 2nd place in the Bundesliga isn't something which you can expect at Dortmund and it's of course not underperforming.

Adcuth

He'll take a year out. Van Gaal never stays at a club too long. He'll win us the Prem next season and retire on a high note with Klopp coming in.

Trizy

Rumour is he is taking a year out just like Pep, therefore I see him going to Arsenal.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Found myself watching the conference not understanding a word. Oh, football.

Confirmed he will leave according to twitter translators though.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
He'll take a year out. Van Gaal never stays at a club too long. He'll win us the Prem next season and retire on a high note with Klopp coming in.
Van Gaal will retire after the 2016-17 season, He has signed on for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.