g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kelvin McKenzie uses racial slur against Ross Barkley

redshaw

After recent Hillsborough events it's surprising that any Sun writer would launch this attack. MacKenzie being the editor at the time of Hillsborough and now writing this is beyond it being joke.

Regarding the race part. When Ross Barkley was younger I thought he was mixed race although I can excuse someone thinking he was not. Right now he looks less mixed race as he's got older.

Last edited:

alanjohnson

After recent Hillsborough events it's surprising that any Sun writer would launch this attack. MacKenzie being the editor at the time of Hillsborough and now writing this is beyond it being joke.

Regarding the race part. When Ross Barkley was younger I thought he was mixed race although I can excuse someone thinking he was not. Right now he looks less mixed race as he's got older.
that's racist
it implies white people look old.

Big Andy

Bloke
BBC said:
Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson told BBC Sport he reported the article to the police for a "racial slur".

Speaking to BBC Sport, Anderson said: "Not only is it racist in a sense that he is of mixed-race descent, equally it's a racial stereotype of Liverpool. It is racist and prehistoric."

Anderson later tweeted to say he had reported the article to Merseyside Police and the Independent Press Standards Organisation.
What a snitching cnut.,..snitches get stitches in Liverpool, everyone knows that...

And I'm pretty sure you can't be racist to a City?

MrPooni

:lol:

The way some of you lot go on, it's like you genuinely believe being accused of racism is worse than racism itself. We've got one of the biggest cnuts in the history of print journalism getting skewered for being the cnut that he is and you'd rather turn it into some kinky semantical gymnastics show about your filthy "PC Gone Mad" wet dreams. Sort it out lads.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
There's absolutely no way that McKenzie did not know about Barkley's mixed race heritage. He knew full well the reaction his comparison between a person with mixed race heritage and a gorilla/ape/monkey would elicit. Whether people see it as racist is up to themeslves but I'd say he meant it in a racist way, with a view to hiding behind the fact that Barkley himself is a white man.

Tarrou

But Gareth Bale has been referred to as a monkey, without any correlation in his family tree, so why make the link in this case?
If you don't make that link, there is no racism in the comment. (Not excusing Mckenzie in any way.)
Making the link isn't what makes it racist or not. Racism isn't a perception.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Oh yeah, Kelvin, no doubt it's just 'pc gone mad'. Still, it's one hell of a coincidence that you can't state outright that black people are gorillas ("you cant say anything these days..."), so you've done the next 'best' thing by attacking Ross Barkley. And there's you, by your own admission*, with a vested interest in propagating racism; a hell of a coincidence, that.

As for the comments about £7.50-an-hour wages: it's precisely because of soulless, greedy shysters like you and your employers that many people live on or perilously close to the poverty line**. curiously enough, working-class people don't get to set their own wage-rate.

*'MacKenzie is quoted as saying in the early 1980s (on the subject of how he perceived The Sun's target audience):

"You just don't understand the readers, do you, eh? He's the bloke you see in the pub, a right old fascist, wants to send the wogs back, buy his poxy council house, he's afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and the weirdos and drug dealers. He doesn't want to hear about that serious news." (Sources: Peter Chippindale; Chris Horrie)

** 'Millions of people fall below the UK's minimum income' (Source: The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/society...below-the-uks-minimum-income-standard-in-data)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
In what way? I've not said anything threatening or agressive? Grow up kid.
You were quick enough to take offence over a post. I thought the article was meaningless and provocative which is a opinion. Rather than engage in a content debat, you jumped straight into calling it a ignorant post without offering any response yourself. If you don't want to offer a counter opinion, then maybe you should stop responding with inane comments.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I`m not sure what joy one can get from others being unemployed, so really don`t understand this particular joke.

In any case, Manchester actually has higher unemployment than Liverpool.
I don't really care. Just thought I'd go for the ol cliched jape

Costanza

It's called common sense. Get used to it.

It's a bullshit article and more obvious when you consider the source. And when did Gorilla become a racist insult? If you can't identify attention seeking click bait, then you being offended has no meaning.
Well this article suggests that people have disparagingly associated dark skinned people with apes/gorillas etc since the Middle Ages, so it's been a racist insult for a fair while actually. Regardless of when it started, the word has pretty obvious racist connotations. I think as a general rule, you should probably accept a term is racist when the people at whom the term is aimed unanimously tell you that it is

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Well this article suggests that people have disparagingly associated dark skinned people with apes/gorillas etc since the Middle Ages, so it's been a racist insult for a fair while actually. Regardless of when it started, the word has pretty obvious racist connotations. I think as a general rule, you should probably accept a term is racist when the people at whom the term is aimed unanimously tell you that it is
I think this is PC at it's worst. Insulting people with animal names has been there since when I was a kid. Calling and being called myself a dog or a monkey or a donkey is pretty much the standard of insult at school. It's really extreme when we need to have specific insults tailored by race/country etc. If you call a white person a gorilla, it's just an insult...but calling a mixed heritage person suddenly becomes racist insult...when that mixed heritage itself is not popular knowledge or obvious by looks.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
And when did Gorilla become a racist insult?
I'm not convinced about the intention of the comparison, but.. seriously?

Calling and being called myself a dog or a monkey or a donkey is pretty much the standard of insult at school
No, sorry. This isn't PC going mad, it's basic entry level shit. Being called a monkey has clearly more significance when aimed at black people, historically, culturally, societally, contextually, name your favour. Claiming ignorance of that isn't some straight talking good ol' common sense, it's outright stupidity.

You might as well say there's no significance to calling a Jew a money grabbing shylock, 'cos, hey everyone's been called tight before.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You'd have to be naive as hell to believe that this was a random, artless slating of someone with Barkley's heritage. As for McKenzie being ignorant of Barkley's background, all it would take for KM to be aware of it would be a standard Sun article about Ross choosing between England and Nigeria for his future international career.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Yes. Seriously. This was being discussed at lunch and being a multi cultural bunch, none of us felt this was a racist insult. Insult, yes. Racist...tenuous.
It definitely wasn't racist but still a horrible piece and very poorly timed

It must take some arsehole to write something like that

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yes. Seriously. This was being discussed at lunch and being a multi cultural bunch, none of us felt this was a racist insult. Insult, yes. Racist...tenuous.
Oh, well as long as your anecdotal lunch crew are all agreed, the long, varied, colourful history of comparing black people to primates is irrelevant.

I'm not taking about this specific incident btw (as I said, I'm not entirely convinced by it) but the idea that "Gorilla" has no obvious racial connotations? I mean, again, seriously?

I know you enjoy playing devil's conservative, but "what's wrong with calling black people monkeys?" is pushing the limits of your character's believability for me. Come on now.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'm surprised someone hasn't offed McKenzie and it staggers me he's still employed but then it staggers me The Sun is still a going concern.

However if you didn't actively look into Barkley's ancestors, how the feck would you know he had a black Grandad from Nigeria?

He does genuinely look a bit apeish in the sense that he looks like your stereotypical thick scouser. Not because he has black ancestry.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm not taking about this specific incident btw (as I said, I'm not entirely convinced by it) but the idea that "Gorilla" has no obvious racial connotations? I mean, again, seriously?
I believe it's a term more widely used as a simple insult against people of all races across countries. The racist connotation is not as obvious as most believe here. The actual perspective of the quote "certain not only are the lights not on, there is definitely nobody at home" adding: "I get a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo." being he's not an intelligent footballer. You'd have to be uber sensitive or really seeking attention if you read that phrase and ignore the 'lights on' aspect and just fixate on the word gorilla.

OL29

You were quick enough to take offence over a post. I thought the article was meaningless and provocative which is a opinion. Rather than engage in a content debat, you jumped straight into calling it a ignorant post without offering any response yourself. If you don't want to offer a counter opinion, then maybe you should stop responding with inane comments.
Calling out your ignorance was agressive? Behave.
Labelling people that may take offence to this keyboard warriors and claiming people just look to take offence was patronising and hardly conducive to debate.
Maybe you should consider other people's perspective next time before you jump in throwing around accusations and silly labels if you want to 'engage in a content debate'.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
I believe it's a term more widely used as a simple insult against people of all races across countries. The racist connotation is not as obvious as most believe here. The actual perspective of the quote "certain not only are the lights not on, there is definitely nobody at home" adding: "I get a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo." being he's not an intelligent footballer. You'd have to be uber sensitive or really seeking attention if you read that phrase and ignore the 'lights on' aspect and just fixate on the word gorilla.
This literally is you.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sun should've done this after he wrote that horrendous Hillsborough article. Disgusting that he could falsely label a group of fans as murderers in a national paper. and can get away with it.

owlo

Intended racism or not, he should have been put out to pasture 20 odd years ago.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Are you actually comparing wealth to intelligence? Or have I missed your point?
It was not a direct comparison obviously, just a wider point on how we perceive people. I have good exam results (no doubt much better than his), and a pretty good job. I'll still probably have to work until retirement age, when hopefully I can enjoy a few years and leave something for my kids. He meanwhile lives the life we all dreamt of when we were 8 and, provided he doesn't have a total meltdown, will live a life of luxury when he retires at the ripe old age of 35.
I though can look down on him because I'd shit all over him at a GCSE maths paper.
That was the gist of the post

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
What a snitching cnut.,..snitches get stitches in Liverpool, everyone knows that...

And I'm pretty sure you can't be racist to a City?
I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that England's historical dismissive attitude towards Liverpool and Scousers is based in anti-Irish and anti-Catholic sentiment.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
You'd have to be naive as hell to believe that this was a random, artless slating of someone with Barkley's heritage. As for McKenzie being ignorant of Barkley's background, all it would take for KM to be aware of it would be a standard Sun article about Ross choosing between England and Nigeria for his future international career.
Isn't researching things supposed to be a fundamental aspect of journalism? And McKenzie didn't even think to read Barkley's Wikipedia page before sending his diatribe to his editor?

Do me a favour.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Yeah, in the '80s people were always throwing bananas at white players because they looked a bit thick.

montpelier

Liverpool Police (who haven't got anything else to do, obviously) are investigating whether this constitutes a race-hate crime according to BBC Breakfast.

I'd say not meself, you do have to draw the line somewhere, isn't it? Just lock McKenzie up for being a dickhead - much more easily prove-able. And we're sorted, :D.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think this is PC at it's worst. Insulting people with animal names has been there since when I was a kid. Calling and being called myself a dog or a monkey or a donkey is pretty much the standard of insult at school. It's really extreme when we need to have specific insults tailored by race/country etc. If you call a white person a gorilla, it's just an insult...but calling a mixed heritage person suddenly becomes racist insult...when that mixed heritage itself is not popular knowledge or obvious by looks.
If somebody made monkey noises at you, would you be happy with it? What's the difference?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Liverpool Police (who haven't got anything else to do, obviously) are investigating whether this constitutes a race-hate crime according to BBC Breakfast.

I'd say not meself, you do have to draw the line somewhere, isn't it? Just lock McKenzie up for being a dickhead - much more easily prove-able. And we're sorted, :D.
They don't really have much choice but to investigate it seeing as it was reported.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
lol, Britain.
Anyone can report anything. Especially when it comes to hate incidents. If the person that's being insulted isn't upset or offended by it but you (a totally independent third party) are then you could report it as a hate incident and it would be investigated.