Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Course we’d take it, that’s obvious. The point being made, however, is that we would not, under any circumstances, claim that the manager responsible for such a renaissance would be the ‘greatest ever’ like that over-emotional mob do every single time. That’s the difference.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think from a Liverpool fan's perspective (especially one who started following Liverpool in the late 90's), Klopp's been amazing. We've been in the title conversation in four seasons under him, and in three CL finals. We've won a PL and a CL. We've played some great football and even when things look like they've completely fallen apart (2020/21 & last season), he still finds a way to pick us up and turn it around.

He's the best manager I've seen at Liverpool by quite a distance.

If I look at him overall in the PL era, he's probably 5th? Fergie, Pep, Wenger/Mourinho then Klopp? Conte, Ancelotti, Mancini, etc all have a title but Klopp did manage a CL and has maintained Liverpool's competitiveness. Probably fair to put him there. Certainly some way off of Pep and SAF though. Mourinho & Wenger are clear of him too.

We should've won more though. We've failed at the final hurdle often and seem to come up short in title races.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Must be a very scary prospect. Klopp and Salah leaving simultaneously sounds like a living nightmare, personally.
I can't tell with Salah. He looks like he's slowing down but still puts up really good numbers. Depends who we replace him with?

Klopp leaving is obviously a massive blow. No one is going to come in and keep us at that standard in this league.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Do you reckon Nunez can play wide and you can shift him to where Salah or Diaz plays and then buy a top CF?
Nunez can feck off. Done with him. He'll never be the answer. I'd like to see us go in for Bowen personally, and he can take Salah's spot. Diaz does look good on the right whenever I see him play there but I don't think he'll ever be a superstar like Salah was.

RedDevil@84

I think from a Liverpool fan's perspective (especially one who started following Liverpool in the late 90's), Klopp's been amazing. We've been in the title conversation in four seasons under him, and in three CL finals. We've won a PL and a CL. We've played some great football and even when things look like they've completely fallen apart (2020/21 & last season), he still finds a way to pick us up and turn it around.

If I look at him overall in the PL era, he's probably 5th? Fergie, Pep, Wenger/Mourinho then Klopp? Conte, Ancelotti, Mancini, etc all have a title but Klopp did manage a CL and has maintained Liverpool's competitiveness. Probably fair to put him there. Certainly some way off of Pep and SAF though. Mourinho & Wenger are clear of him too.

We should've won more though. We've failed at the final hurdle often and seem to come up short in title races.
It is a slippery slope once you start putting "maintained competitiveness" as an achievement. For the club and fans, it is a big deal. But in terms of PL greatness, not really.

Blood Mage

Announcing his departure so soon is looking like one of the biggest managerial blunders ever. Put too much unnecessary pressure on his players.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
He did not look well during the post match interview, on a human level hope he sorts himself out during his break.

BorisManUtd

Seems about right to me.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Feels as if he checked out mentally a while ago.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not one of the best ever obviously but it's a great CV. He's won everything you can win there.

I see kinda parallels between his Liverpool and our 2007 to 2011 side. That United side is one of the greatest ever but we just had to be around at the same fecking time as the greatest ever in Barca. And without 115 around, then Liverpool win a handful more league titles. A successful period for both clubs but also a period of "What could've been..."
2 more you mean. Hardly a handful

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
It is a slippery slope once you start putting "maintained competitiveness" as an achievement. For the club and fans, it is a big deal. But in terms of PL greatness, not really.
I mean I only do so because Fergie, Pep, Mourinho & Wenger all won more than one title, so they're clearly ahead of Klopp.

After that you have a collection of managers with one (Dalglish, Ancelotti, Mancini, Pellegrini, Conte, Ranieri, Klopp). To organize them you have to look at other factors (other trophies won, consistency etc). I think Klopp is ahead of all of them imo, simple because he has a CL. But he also took us to two other CL finals, competed for the league up to the last day twice and won a couple of cups. You can also look at tother factors (money spent, scale of achievement etc).

Ranieri winning the League with Leicester is an incredible achievement.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Remember that thread moaning about Everton rolling over and handing Liverpool 6 points every season even though it's only happened twice maybe 3 times in 15 years.

Adz_99

Poisoned chalice for the next manager. Their best players are either past it or already left. Good luck to Arne Slot (whoever that is) trying to get a tune out of Uruguayan Andy Carol and Cody Kakpo.

I actually think we might have a better squad than them right now.

tomaldinho1

Announcing his departure so soon is looking like one of the biggest managerial blunders ever. Put too much unnecessary pressure on his players.
It was so bizarre. Pressure would have been all on City but Jurgen wanted the farewell tour of the country.

What a tour it has turned out to be.

laughtersassassin

I'll be absolutely delighted if he ends up leaving without winning a major trophy this season.

Just need Arsenal and or City to not shit the bed.

Ideally I want Arsenal to win it out of the 3.

Wouldn't be able to stomach Klopp winning it in his final season. The hyperbole about him would be too much.

Josh 76

They still have to play Spurs and Villa. They may be looking over their shoulder.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Can see his hearts not in it anymore.
he probably went 2 or 3 seasons too many and peaked with the PL win, should have left once they struggled the next season.

He needs an extended break from football like Zidane and come back to another smaller club with less expectation. He’d be a great replacement for Alonso at Leverkusen after next season.

Liverpool are in for a shocking run Slot will be sacked within 3 months of taking that job.

E-mal

Can see his hearts not in it anymore.
he probably went 2 or 3 seasons too many and peaked with the PL win, should have left once they struggled the next season.

He needs an extended break from football like Zidane and come back to another smaller club with less expectation. He’d be a great replacement for Alonso at Leverkusen after next season.

Liverpool are in for a shocking run Slot will be sacked within 3 months of taking that job.
I don’t know who Slot is but the Dutch league is garbage, can’t trust anything from their.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Course we’d take it, that’s obvious. The point being made, however, is that we would not, under any circumstances, claim that the manager responsible for such a renaissance would be the ‘greatest ever’ like that over-emotional mob do every single time. That’s the difference.
I don’t think Klopp is considered as such anyway. He’s just considered among the best of this past decade (or whenever that first title at Dortmund was)

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The daft mental smiling has become such a noticed parody. He looks like a total moron.
There’s a difference between what he is now and what he was like these past few seasons. I think he is totally spent and doesn’t look right. The players might sense it too. He might even be ill for all we know.
As far as calling the man a moron, I understand if you feel that way as him being a coach but as a person that’s just a disgusting way of describing someone, especially when you see what he has been outspoken about on social issues ect. Grow up

Vanrouge

There’s a difference between what he is now and what he was like these past few seasons. I think he is totally spent and doesn’t look right. The players might sense it too. He might even be ill for all we know.
As far as calling the man a moron, I understand if you feel that way as him being a coach but as a person that’s just a disgusting way of describing someone, especially when you see what he has been outspoken about on social issues ect. Grow up
To be fair, Judas was referring specifically to the gurning, the inappropriate smiling, the petulance toward reporters, and the weird raging at officials, which they said made him look like a moron. I don't think anyone believes Klopp is an actual moron, anymore than you believe Judas is an actual child after you told them to "grow up." Or that I believe you're an actual delicate flower if I think you're being oversensitive.

It's interesting, though; I'm hoping that the penny will drop for Liverpool fans when they see how much the job has taken out of Klopp after only nine years and think about how Sir Alex (until he was seventy-three years old) built and rebuilt great team after great team over three times that timespan, never wavering or appearing depleted as Klopp does now at only fifty-six years old. I realize Fergie's success was painful, but the disrespect your average Liverpool fan shows toward the great man and the disproportionate lauding of Klopp in comparison is off-the-charts ludicrous, and seems to give the lie to their self-image as "knowledgable fans."

prateik

Must be a very scary prospect. Klopp and Salah leaving simultaneously sounds like a living nightmare, personally.
I think they'll be happy if they can cash in on Salah.. he will be good enough to contribute for a couple more seasons (at least), but I dont think his value will hold too long.. they need a rebuild.. if they get 100m+ for him, they'll be happy.
I would rather see him stay.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
I think they'll be happy if they can cash in on Salah.. he will be good enough to contribute for a couple more seasons (at least), but I dont think his value will hold too long.. they need a rebuild.. if they get 100m+ for him, they'll be happy.
I would rather see him stay.
He might be struggling to regain form after the AFCON injury, and that he just needs a bit of time, but he’s turning 32 and it’s definetely showing, he’s nowhere near the dominant player he used to be.

His contract expires in 2025, so it’d be insane if they get 100m+ for him. He has the chance for major payday in combination with Liverpool getting what will no doubt be a good fee, so wouldn’t surprise me if he pushes for it.

The other side of the coin is that they’ve hardly nailed their big investments recently. They really need to be spot on with whoever they sign or things have a tendency to turn to shit.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
To be fair, Judas was referring specifically to the gurning, the inappropriate smiling, the petulance toward reporters, and the weird raging at officials, which they said made him look like a moron. I don't think anyone believes Klopp is an actual moron, anymore than you believe Judas is an actual child after you told them to "grow up." Or that I believe you're an actual delicate flower if I think you're being oversensitive.

It's interesting, though; I'm hoping that the penny will drop for Liverpool fans when they see how much the job has taken out of Klopp after only nine years and think about how Sir Alex (until he was seventy-three years old) built and rebuilt great team after great team over three times that timespan, never wavering or appearing depleted as Klopp does now at only fifty-six years old. I realize Fergie's success was painful, but the disrespect your average Liverpool fan shows toward the great man and the disproportionate lauding of Klopp in comparison is off-the-charts ludicrous, and seems to give the lie to their self-image as "knowledgable fans."
Fantastic post.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

When you consider the circumstances he's been begrudgingly good. He was always the manager i wanted to replace Fergie. Considering the rebuild he had to do and the quality and resources of City he's done very well. And 3 Cl finals is more than the bald one mamaged with City.