La Liga - 2015/2016

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
The "not so good" Lucas Vazques being Madrid best player in the field and getting a peno so Ronaldo can keep his stats

Should've run to celebrate with LV after what he said and what he's doing tonight

prarek

Yeah, I noted that as well back back when he'd reached 11-12 goals or something which also fit that criterium - the fact that he's still "only" on 14 a couple of months later seems a probable indicator of a one-off six-month confidence run. Then again, that Granada side has seen some talented individuals - if never quite a team -, among others Brahimi, El-Arabi etc. Gotta hand it to those Pozzos and their scouting network.
Good point. He probably had a good run of good form for a couple of months.

Skorenzy

Aduriz with a hat-trick meanwhile apparently. Looking forward to the highlights of that game. :drool:

edit:

prarek

Valencia trying to hang on. Route one football from Malaga. 5 mins left..

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I never said he was the best in here. Mourinho did not have less resources than Simeone. That's bull. Look at the teams they faced also. Porto were hardly even underdogs against Lyon or Benfica. If they were then i don't think it was by much.
No, you were not getting at that at all:yawn:

Skorenzy

Gary's tenure so far has been really strange. Quite a few games where they probably deserved more but were unlucky to lose or drop pts; then a lot of the games they won where they didn't really deserve it and/or were lucky to win - case in point, Kameni's gift in this game (:D).

Beating Espanyol at home was a must, beating Granada away and destroying Rapid Wien over both legs were pleasant yet plausible surprises, but beating this Málaga side at La Rosaleda is no mean feat.

prarek

Gary's tenure so far has been really strange. Quite a few games where they probably deserved more but were unlucky to lose or drop pts; then a lot of the games they won where they didn't really deserve it and were lucky to win - case in point, Kameni's gift in this game (:D).

Beating Espanyol at home was a must, beating Granada away and destroying Rapid Wien over both legs were pleasant yet plausible surprises, but beating this Málaga side at La Rosaleda is no mean feat.
Definitely his best win imo.

He might be busy scouting Borja Mayoral, 90 minutes in 1st division, 1 goal? Kid has better chances of going to the Euro than Aduriz
Sadly you're right.

prarek

No, you were not getting at that at all:yawn:
Can you point me to where i said that in this thread? You were the one to bring in Mourinho. For the record i much prefer Simeone to Mourinho.

Skorenzy

He might be busy scouting Borja Mayoral, 90 minutes in 1st division, 1 goal? Kid has better chances of going to the Euro than Aduriz
He hasn't scored though? Unless some sources are giving him the own-goal in tonight's game v Levante?

Still I guess Aduriz doesn't have a chance w/Del Bosque for some arcane reason.

Snow

Can you point me to where i said that in this thread? You were the one to bring in Mourinho. For the record i much prefer Simeone to Mourinho.
No, amol brought up Mourinho and said that Simeone had done the most out of all managers in the last 5 years. I disagreed and you took up amol's argument. What else were you arguing?

prarek

No, amol brought up Mourinho and said that Simeone had done the most out of all managers in the last 5 years. I disagreed and you took up amol's argument. What else were you arguing?
Just that you were questioning Simeone's credentials or rather doubting his success because of players he didn't buy, something along those lines and that Mourinho had proved himself over in multiple facets. Felt like you were undermining Simeone's achievements and 'bigging' up Mourinho at the same time.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
The difference in quality when you watch Real Madrid compared to Barcelona is staggering. They're so average tonight.

Snow

Just that you were questioning Simeone's credentials or rather doubting his success because of players he didn't buy, something along those lines and that Mourinho had proved himself over in multiple facets. Felt like you were undermining Simeone's achievements and 'bigging' up Mourinho at the same time.
I feel he has yet to prove himself in the market. His backbone has been great throughout but the player turnover has been huge. Close to 10 players in and out every season and many players don't last long. Maybe he's just ruthless with player that don't cut it straight away or something or there's someone buying players he's not fond of.

I don't think I was undermining him by disagreeing with him being the most accomplished managers in the past 5 years.

prarek

I feel he has yet to prove himself in the market. His backbone has been great throughout but the player turnover has been huge. Close to 10 players in and out every season and many players don't last long. Maybe he's just ruthless with player that don't cut it straight away or something or there's someone buying players he's not fond of.

I don't think I was undermining him by disagreeing with him being the most accomplished managers in the past 5 years.
I don't think cleverness in the market is nearly as important in judging a manager's credentials. Managers are never in full control of transfers these days and definitely not at Atletico. Simeone has the 'pull'. A lot of players have said they wanted to work with him so joined Atletico but apart from that he only plays a part in transfers. It seems clear from his interviews also, the only absolutes he has placed on the board is that they must not sell Godin and Koke. The most important thing i think is to get the players you have working as a unit and to their utmost potential.

Snow

I don't think cleverness in the market is nearly as important in judging a manager's credentials. Managers are never in full control of transfers these days and definitely not at Atletico. Simeone has the 'pull'. A lot of players have said they wanted to work with him so joined Atletico but apart from that he only plays a part in transfers. It seems clear from his interviews also, the only absolutes he has placed on the board is that they must not sell Godin and Koke. The most important thing i think is to get the players you have working as a unit and to their utmost potential.
That's really my point. The players that are still doing the business for him today are pretty much all the same players he started out with. HG talent like Torres and Saul have filled in the gaps nicely, Gimenez was a great buy, Oblak a solid replacement for Courtois and Carrasco has shown decent things this season. Griezmann is of course great but he's been great under several managers in La Liga. The other 20+ players Atlético have bought haven't faired as well. Godin, Miranda, Juanfran, Filipe, Gabi, Tiago, Koke are the players that have been the very important backbone in his tenure. Very little rotation in the back 4 and the 2 in front of them this whole time apart from that Luis-less season.

prarek

That's really my point. The players that are still doing the business for him today are pretty much all the same players he started out with. HG talent like Torres and Saul have filled in the gaps nicely, Gimenez was a great buy, Oblak a solid replacement for Courtois and Carrasco has shown decent things this season. Griezmann is of course great but he's been great under several managers in La Liga. The other 20+ players Atlético have bought haven't faired as well. Godin, Miranda, Juanfran, Filipe, Gabi, Tiago, Koke are the players that have been the very important backbone in his tenure. Very little rotation in the back 4 and the 2 in front of them this whole time apart from that Luis-less season.
They are second in the league and in the KO stages of CL. They are doing fine. Look at the average cost of transfers. Not like they buy world class players. Mourinho taking Chelsea to relegation zone and Moyes flopping at United shows how difficult it is just to maintain a certain level nevermind compete for trophies every year. I don't think there are many managers who can do what Simeone is doing at Atletico.

Snow

They are second in the league and in the KO stages of CL. They are doing fine. Look at the average cost of transfers. Not like they buy world class players. Mourinho taking Chelsea to relegation zone and Moyes flopping at United shows how difficult it is just to maintain a certain level nevermind compete for trophies every year. I don't think there are many managers who can do what Simione is doing at Atletico.
They're doing better than fine but that's down to their phenomenal defense. Their attacking football has been very poor this season.

They're still competing for every trophy although most of us feel like Barca have the league wrapped up.

prarek

They're doing better than fine but that's down to their phenomenal defense. Their attacking football has been very poor this season.

They're still competing for every trophy although most of us feel like Barca have the league wrapped up.
Exactly. Especially considering the average cost of transfers. Hence Simeone is doing a great job. Offensively they need improvement but overall he's doing great.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
3-1. Isco seals the result. Good move and good assist by Ronaldo.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Barcelona XI: Bravo - Sergi Roberto, Pique, Mascherano, Mathieu - Rakitic, Busquets, Iniesta - Messi, Suarez, Neymar

Against Rayo, so expect an open game. Winning or drawing this game will break the Spanish all-time record for longest unbeaten run by Real Madrid (34 games).

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Sergio Roberto back at RB, interesting - strong lineup which shows Lucho is taking Paco & Rayo seriously, as he should

Cait Sith

Alba is playing a weak season and Aleix doesn't look too convincing defensively. Very logical lineup.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Plus with Arda taking minutes in midfield it gives Roberto a chance to contribute more, especially with Vidal failing to impress

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Alba is playing a weak season and Aleix doesn't look too convincing defensively. Very logical lineup.
Yeah, it's just fair Lucho gives a hungry Sergi Roberto the minutes both Alves and Aleix waste every game

Cait Sith

Plus with Arda taking minutes in midfield it gives Roberto a chance to contribute more, especially with Vidal failing to impress
For me Roberto's most impressive games came from wide positions (RB as well as RM/RW against Madrid). As a midfielder I think he failed to impress. He has a great burst of acceleration but his touches and passing let him down too often. He also looked fairly lost in Busquets' role before getting subbed off a few matchdays ago. I think he should stay at RB and Aleix was an unnecessary signing, although admittedly no one could have expected Roberto to play that role so well.

Cait Sith

Nah, he looks like your average run-of-the-mill pace+run winger-converted-into-a-defender. He hasn't even faced elite teams yet and already looks shaky. Should play as a substitute winger while Roberto takes the RB spot after Alves.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Also could be a chance to audition the 3-4-3 as well
We don't have a player that could cover our entire left wing, rather hope the 3-4-3 doesn't become a thing

On the Rayo side, sad Jozabed is missing this game, wanted to see him in a match like this that could give us a better impression of his skills and shocked both Manucho and Bebe are in the starting 11, that doesn't happen much, right?

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I realize it's early and certainly too soon to write a player off after 2 months but I've seen a player who does not possess great defensive attributes - he may ultimately provide good offensive ones but overall he's a backup, for me
He wasn't expected to be a starter anyway. He's been a bit shaky lately, but I remember solid performances all around in the first month.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Aleix Vidal was a necessary depth-signing I reckon.
With Rafinha out for most (if not all?) of the season his signing has become more important. He (Rafinha) was the one who was playing in the forward positions whilst Neymar was ill at the beginning of the season, though Enrique has clearly decided to give more chances to Munir over Sandro in the second half of the season.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Aleix Vidal was a necessary depth-signing I reckon.
I think it was more the safe option as Alves was almost out of the team until the last minute turn of events

Aleix should've been main option in the RW while Bartra could play there, it was unlikely but even Douglas could play as a backup for Aleix and Bartra. The weird thing is that even retaining Alves and getting that spot more than covered Sergi Roberto ends up being the best player there. He should've been behind Alves, Aleix, Bartra and Douglas in that race